main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Freiheit

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Son of the Suns, Jun 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Has anyone seen this short film that Lucas directed in film school?

I saw it when they showed it on that Sci-Fi Channel Exposure special with Kevin Smith. I thought it was really good for a short film. The ending was quite dark, and reflected what was going on in the world at the time.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Yes I did see that, very cool. That and THX 1138 shows that Lucas can do dark. Gives me hope for Episode 3.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    I've heard of it... never seen it, though. :(

--Mr. P :cool:

4. ryanof1

ryanof1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2000
    I was able to acquire the short film that he based THX on, but I've never heard of this one. Sounds cool!

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I saw it. That was wierd. Not really my type of film. o_O

6. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    Son of the Suns:
    Agreed :) I had only seen a snipet here or there, then Exposure aired it...nice surprise.

7. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I haven't seen that film and neither THX, which is ironic considering most people say that it is one of his more artistic films.

8. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I saw it on that episode of Exposure too. Very interesting film. Very dark and almost scary.

Never seen all of THX 1138, though.

9. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I don't think it's that much of a big deal, student filmmakers sort of have to make that kind of a film, which is essentially flipping your weakness into your strong asset. In this case, it's the lack of real resources, story, or character. Sure, it's trying to make a point at the time, but I imagine this kind of film being made all over the country by film students. Now THX1138, that's totally different. Unfortunantly, I have yet to see it.

10. Hoedaack

Hoedaack Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    "THX 1138" is great.

"Electronic Laybyrinth" isn't that great.

11. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I saw "Freiheit" on EXPOSURE. It's pretty good. The cool thing about the THX-1138 feature for me was the prison they put Robert Duvall in. Just a white infinite space with nothing in sight. Has anyone seen "Look at Life"? Its a pretty fast anti-war montage of photos Lucas took from Life and Look magazines.

12. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    That's amazing. I just read about Freiheit for the first time yesterday. The book, George Lucas: Close Up talks about it a little bit. I haven't seen it yet.

13. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    I saw it on Exposure. All it reminded me of was what any Joe Smoe junior in High School TV Productions would do (which I frown upon because high school kids don't realize their true limits, which are infinitely more than what they think thewy are limited to, which is what I want to teach people when I take over my school's Film Club).

14. trippinjedi

trippinjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    It was pretty cool. Hey, If you guys wanna see a link between THX1138 and Nine Inch Nails, then check out my topic: THX 1138 NIN.

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
  16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Are any of his student films available on the Internet? I'm curious to see 'A Look At Life'...

17. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Any plans on a rerun for this film of GL? I really want to see what it looks like.

And why is it so hard to get THX-1138 these days? You'd think it be on DVD by now. Even on tape it's hard to find.

18. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Finally managed to see a snippet of Freiheit and Look at Life on the GL Biography. Not at all what I would have expected from GL, not at all!

I'm still curious, are they anywhere on the Internet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.