main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto French in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by anakin-player, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin-player

anakin-player Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2002
    I was wondering if French is a required subject in the public school system in Toronto. Can anybody help me out on this one since I'm having a debate with my friend who claims that French is only an optional subject.

Btw, can anybody tell me if Richmond Hill is a good area in Toronto?

2. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    French is a mandatory subject of study in the Ontario school system up until about grade 9 or 10. After that optional courses in French for any level of experience are offered in pretty much every grade year, and in university/College.

As for Richmond Hill,a suburb of Toronto, but an independant town with its own government, I lived there for about 8 years before moving up the street to Thornhill, and I love it, or at least the parts that border the city. The only thing I don't like about Richmond Hill is that the farther away you get from Toronto, the less public transit is available.

Hope that helps!
    Sabrina

3. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    You need a Grade 9 French credit in order to graduate from High School.

High School prerequisite credits are not determined by school boards but the Provincial Government.

As for Richmond Hill....or Rich Man's Hill as I call it....it's a nice but as Sabrina said, it's not in Toronto. Richmond Hill is in York Region. You definately need a car living there as things are pretty spread apart. As for demographics...Richmond Hill has a lot of Chinese folk like me. ;)

Hope this helps!

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    The revolving door education system would give you the credit if you just attended half their classes and didn't threaten the teacher I'm sad to say.

5. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Can I have some ketchup for those Frenc.....

Er...sorry. Forget I said that.

6. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    *laughs at Uncle Jeff*

7. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I took an extra english instead, come to think of it I took an extra english to get out of gym class as well, I had a very relaxed school, prerecs could be negotiated. I ended up taking six english classes in High school and two college classes, and I still have a hard time spelling, and now chatter english is hurting my non-chatter english lol, see what i mean.

8. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Pierre Trudeau made it law for all students up to grade 9 across canada to take french.

9. anakin-player

anakin-player Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2002
    So with all the French classes for students, are most high school students fluent in French or close to fluent? Since in the U.S. a foreign language is chosen in 9th grade so most students reallly don't get fluent in the foreign language.

10. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    LMAO! Sorry, no, not by a longshot :) If I remember correctly, TECHNICALLY, after grade nine, they're supposed to have the basics down and be able to conjugate most verbs in all the tenses and such...ya know, be able to carry on a simple basic conversation and whatnot...but that's pretty rare from what I've seen...heck, I recall most ppl speaking in English during French classes :p

11. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Je ne parler pas francais. One key line for most Anglophonic students in Canada.

12. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Je peux manger du verre, cela ne me fait pas mal.

(edit: of course in Quebec they're more likely to say J'peux bouffer d'la vitre, ça m'fa pas mal.)

13. Pissenlit

Nov 26, 2001
    Hee hee hee! Le joual! :D...real amusing sometimes...er...unless someone's saying something important... :p :)

14. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    Ok I sat thru supper with Duker duck and a french house hold, they got confused with him more then I did, I kept my mouth completly closed when it came to the french he thought he knew lmao

15. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Was that before or after the three of ya came downstairs?

;)

16. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I took French right up to OAC and I'm still not fluent, it takes a lot more than a couple of classes a week to be fluent. My brother got exempt from his French credit b/c he's a special needs student so it's not completely mandatory.

Richmond Hill is really cute. I also live in Thornhill, just a stone's throw away. It's not that busy, but it's true that the more north you go the worse the transportation gets. I know they are developing more up north though so I'm sure it will get more down-towny as time goes on.

17. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I didn't take French in High School :)

Though its hard enough to get students to speak and write English, nevermind a whole other language :)

As a side note, my 12 year old brother's report card had a choice of languages: French and Native American...is there a choice now? Anyone know what I am talking about?

18. Pissenlit

Nov 26, 2001
    First I've heard of that...

What school board is it?

19. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Catholic School Board in Alliston...otherwise I have no idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.