main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Friday's (3/17) Dr Who on Sc-Fi: "Rose" and "The End of the World"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by El Kabong, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Funny, I thought there'd be a thread where everyone would be getting worked up over Rose and The End of the World. Oh well, time to spearhead the project and get folks worked into a frenzy!

First - The offical BBC webpage
    The Sci-Fi Webpage

(Although if youre at all concerned about spoilers, I'd stay away from Sc-Fi.com m'self.)

Anyway, I've seen the show a dozen times, so the new car smell has worn off. However I'm dieing to know how the show plays to the general public, the US non-fans. How exposed were you to the old show - was it "Oh yeah, that guy with the scarf, right?" from your childhood. Are you going in knowing nothing?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've seen Rose, and I really liked it. Unfortunently, I'm in the UK and can't watch it. How ironic is that?

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Ah Doctor Who, what a wonderful phrase!

Yes I will be very interested to see how the Americans will respond to it!

Persoanlly I think it may work better for the audience who know nothing of the first 8 Doctors.

4. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    It's a fantastic series, hope it goes down well in the States!

5. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I've heard of Dr. Who and saw one movie that came on FOX, I think it was FOX, but can't remember much about it. I suppose I'll give the series a chance.

6. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm going to check it out based solely on how popular Doctor Who is among sci-fi fans. I don't know anything else about it, except he time travels, and the old show was on PBS constantly when I was younger (I never watched it). So is this a re-imagined version (like BSG) or is it a direct remake?

7. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    You could call it a 'continuation' which doubles as a new series.

It doesn't make assumptions that you know what happened to the previous Doctors.

8. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    While the 2005+ series is a direct continuation of the 63-89 series, no previous homework is required. The creative team has managed to keep a strong contiinuity link to the past nearly transparent to the common man. Little things like an offhanded comment about one of the aliens coming from a galaxy that was mentioned WAY back during an episode of the 1st Doctor's era, or certain sound effects with the Tardis - that sort of thing. But Russel T Davies very wisely decided that this had to be a new journey seen through the eyes of the new companion.

But no, it's a completly stand alone product. Any previous continuity issues, you'll be able to figure out from context pretty fast I bet.

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Wait - so the USA is only getting to see the new Who now? Long wait. You'll have to avoid all the Brits getting excited about the second new series :p I'll be very interested to see how it goes down in the USA.

I have only outline knowledge of Doctors 1-8 (mainly because the Eighth Doctor's reign ended before I was born) but that didn't spoil Who 2005. I loved it immensely.

10. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Will try and see it tonight.They are repeating it after the first showing.

11. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Saw most of the show other than the last 25 minutes.Rather than ask specifically about the ending I must say I loved the costumes , the aliens and the set designs.Interesting plot, hmmm?Comments?

12. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Well, I watched it last night. I missed the first ten or fifteen minutes of the first episode, though. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I didn't really like the first episode.

One of my initial reactions was that the special effects were pretty lousy, especially when compared to other Sci-Fi Channel shows like SG-1 and BSG. However, during the second episode, I stopped caring because the effects were so creative and different from other Sci-Fi.

For those who have seen the show, was the second episode a typical episode? Because I did enjoy it. It struck me as sort of a cross between Stargate SG-1 and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

And one thing that keeps bugging me...if Dr. Who's race can travel through time, how can there ever be a "last one"?

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

13. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    It's hard to paint any Who episode with a 'typical' paint brush - they're all so diverse. However, I would say that the next episode - "The Unquiet Dead" is much closer in spirit and tone to the orginal series, but everything else is all over the map.

Not quite answering the question you asked, but its the best I got. :)

Unless they've been snuffed by another time traveling race. . . .

***EDIT***
    Oh, if you're at all intrested in behind the scenes, go watch episode 1 and 2 of Doctor Who Confidential. These ran on BBC3 one a week right after that week's Who episode transmission

14. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Nem, are you telling us you're from the future? [face_mischief]

I watched these two episodes and "Unquiet Dead" a few months ago -- though they're still the only bits of the show I've seen -- and I liked them. But then, I'm not exactly a Who novice.

15. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Yes. :p

Okay, the Eighth Doctor's TV reign. :p I think it finished in the spring of '89, and I was born in the summer.

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    That was number 7.

17. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Technically, the 7th Doctor's TV era didn't end until partway into the 1996 movie. But even his last season of the original series was in the fall of '89 -- the final episode aired 6 December.

EDIT: But that still leaves you younger than the 6th Doctor's era, Nem.

18. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    My wife is a big Doctor Who fan from back when and she loved the new show. She felt the feel and spirit were there from the earlier shows. She loved how they used the same music. Her favorite Doctor was Tom Baker.

I must admit that I can get into this show a bit, though the accents and British slang sometimes distracts me.

19. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    As a Doctor Who novice, I have to say that I really liked the first two episodes. It reminds me of Farscape a little (especially the second episode). It seems to have that same sharp wit and "anything goes" attitude that Farscape had (or maybe Farscape got it from Doctor Who).

The title of this thread should be changed to reflect a more general Doctor Who topic, rather than just one for the first two episodes.

20. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    When I mentioned to my wife that I thought there was a little bit of Farscape feel to it, she looked at me like I was nuts! She was never a fan of that show, so I think she doesn't want to connect the 2 shows. But, I am glad that I am not the only one who got that feeling.

21. stephenmace

stephenmace Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2006
    A rose by anyother name, I'm confidant you know the rest of this...
    everyone wants to update and remake classics...Oh well, how long befor they vandalize the other gems of si Fi

22. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    I take it then that you watched and didnt like the show?

As far as vandalizing the old show - I'm a fan from WAY back (like 1984 ish) and thought that the 05 show was true to what had come before.

23. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Okay, so all I've managed to do so far is prove my point about not knowing the previous Doctors at all . . . [face_blush]

I've never seen Farscape, but I'm with you all the way on the wit. Russell T Davies is a pretty fantastic scriptwriter, and I hugely enjoyed the way that the show seemed to be funny at all the right moments.

"Lots of planets have norths!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.