main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [fridge logic] Indiana Jones does not know how to fly a plane.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Does this make sense? World-renowned, whip-cracking archaeologist adventurer Indiana Jones can't fly a plane. I mean, I suppose it doesn't matter in ToD anyway because the plane was on its last breath of fuel, but... doesn't it just seem like Indy should know how to fly a plane?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why? It's a pretty obscure talent, and not of particular value for Jones as a researcher. He has already mastered archaeology and history (with a bizarre lack of specialization), wilderness survival, small arms, and hand-to-hand combat. What advantage is there to this, and when exactly would he have had time to learn?

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It does make sense, when he has guys like Jock fly him to wherever he wants to go.

4. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    You don't think with all the flying around he does to get to exotic locations, he might've once thought, "Hmmm, I could get some lessons, get a license, and fly around on my own. Would save me a lot of time, especially since I'm a pretty busy guy leading two lives- one calmer, one more exciting."

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How would it save him a lot of time, when he already has someone to do it for him? That's like asking why Mitt Romney didn't just do his own yard work. Clearly, it wasn't too hard for him to figure out. That doesn't mean it was A)a good use of his time or B)something he would enjoy. So long as Jones has someone else flying, he can sleep on the plane, dor owkr, or simply not have to worry about keeping his pilot's license. Why would he give that up, just for some stupid notion of self-sufficiency? He's not a Tea Partier.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Uh, what? That's like saying Wolfgang Puck should know how to fix a radiator because he's a skilled chef.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Self-sufficiency sounds an awful lot like self-reliance.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/indianajones/images/8/8c/Henry.gif]

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    He does know how to fly a plane, and he was doing quite well until Dad accidentally shot off the biplane's tail.

He simply does not know how to LAND the plane.

9. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Dangit, I forgot that part! And how many times have I watched Last Crusade?

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    RotLA: commercial flights and the chartered plane piloted by Jock (c'mon, it's his plane. He isn't going to just lend it out. His plane is his living. He flies people around)
    So we don't know whether he can fly it or not.
    ToD: all the instruments were shot to hell, and the plane was out of fuel. That's why they had to do the raft trick (didn't Mythbusters prove that one would actually work--much to their surprise?)
    TLC: Doing fine until the tail got shot up. Didn't exactly have a nice runway or packed field to land in, now did he?
    TCS: <vomit>[face_sick]

11. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Okay, I just checked TLC. Henry pats his son on the shoulder and says, "I didn't know you could fly a plane." He's clearly very pleased with Indy. Indy replies, "Fly, yes. Land... no."

So, apparently, between ToD and TLC, Indy learns how to fly a plane but not land it???

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How could you forget that exchange?! It's a great exchange!

I have always assumed in TLC that was a joke about the fact that he kind of manages to fly the plane and keep it steady a bit in ToD, but that he never landed it because he jumped out of it instead. After this experience, he has Jock :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    ****, that's right. It's obviously making a joke out of Indy's experience in ToD. It all comes together now. The initial experience with a plane in ToD, getting Jock to fly him around after that, the quip in TLC.

But, still.... Jock can't possibly have been there to fly him around all the time whenever a commercial flight wouldn't do. What about Mrs. Jock and the kids?

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The man has a pet boa constrictor named Reggie. Rest assured, there is no Mrs. Jock.

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    For the longest time, I thought he was "Jacques".

But the credits say otherwise.

But then again, Indy credits have been known to be wrong.
    [image=http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12187-15555.gif]
    Sapito, Satipo, Tomato, To-mah-to

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    With Indy, we'd expect nothing less.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The last time he tried to land a plane, he had to do the raft trick. It's a tongue-in-cheek Indy moment.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/indianajones/images/4/40/German_biplane2.jpg]
    "what happens at 11 o'clock?"

19. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Well, it seems all the "Jacques" and "Fly, yes, land, no" commentary has been addressed. I have nothing to add to this discussion.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I just got a giggle out of the title of the thread.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i can think of a few other people who learned how to fly a plane but not land it. indiana jones was a terrorist. [face_plain]

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Time out - they spell it Jock? Seriously?

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    pretty sure they did, yea.

24. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    No he wasn't.

25. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    IIRC They said it would work so long as you could secure yourself to the raft before deploying, but that they found there was no opportunity to do so.