main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fringe ('The No Doctor Cop Lawyer Show'): New Episode Tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, May 22, 2008.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Has anyone else seen the trailers they are showing for this new TV show?

Trailer

2. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    It looks like X-Files meets The Matrix meets LOST. I'll give it a chance.

!snap

3. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    It looks really interesting. :)

4. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    J.J. Abrams rarely fails. However, Fox is the worst about canceling shows. It would have to be up to Lost standerds to get renewed. The good side is that House, one of Fox's biggest shows, will precede it on Tuesday night, which will give Fringe a strong lead-in.

Lance Reddick: [face_dancing]

5. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Indeed it looks interesting. [face_thinking]

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They are advertising it like mad; so I hope they give it a chance.

7. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    It looks great.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Does anyone know when it starts?

9. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    The Fringe series premiere is scheduled for August 26, 2008 at 8:00 p.m. ET. according to this article.

Here's a bunch of posters. Do you notice the fetuses in the apple that appears in this poster. Does the series have a genetic modification/manipulation theme? [face_thinking]

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm looking forward to this series. And I don't look forward to new television shows very often.

11. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Count me as one one of many interested.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Looks interesting, but couldn't they have made the fonts look a little less similar to those of LOST? :oops:

13. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Thats on purpose. Cross-familiarity marketing. Common practice in American merchandising for decades now.

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The twist is that those two are actually Gillian Anderson and and David Duchovney

15. corran2

May 16, 2006
    I don't think comparing it to the X-Files is a bad thing. The X-Files was one of the greatest televison shows in history, creating multiple plot arcs and killing of severel major characters. Fringe could also be very different form the X-Files, we just haven't seen enough of it yet(although John Hurt bears a striking resemblance to Deep Throat:p)

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    August 26...that's rather early for a fall show.

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The TV Addict Talks About Fringe.

When your show opens with a mysterious plane on the verge of crashing, skin melting off passengers? faces, not to mention a mystery that has you racing to the internet for clues ? it?s safe to say you?re not watching your standard CBS procedural. In fact, odds are good that the show you?re watching involves none other than [TV Addict Favorite] J.J. Abrams, who was on hand at this morning?s Television Critics Press Tour alongside his entire creative team [and via satellite] stars Josh Jackson, Anna Torv and John Noble to talk about FOX?s highly anticipated new series FRINGE. Or as I like to call it, X-FILES with a bigger budget.

But shhhhh, let?s just keep that between us okay!

Turns out that J.J. Abrams, alongside co-executive producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman visibly bristle whenever a member of the press compares the show to that other show about paranormal phenomena. Which makes for a heck of an akward question and answer period. Because (a) the comparison was made on more than one occasion and (b) one can?t help but compare the two shows to each other since they both feature male and female leads who just so happened to be FBI agents that coincidentally made their bread and butter by investigating the paranormal.

FRINGE, according to Abrams was inspired by ALTERED STATES, WESTWORLD, and even COMA. The creative team embraces David Cronenberg wholeheartedly and wanted a show that was similar to the X-FILES and NIGHT STALKER, but with an emphasis on brainy characters investigating strange occurrences. Again, nothing like the X-FILES.

J.J. revealed that he?s trying to split his time between post-production on STAR TREK, while continuing to be involved with FRINGE. He co-wrote the pilot, and plans to stay as involved as he can with the writing and the story arcs and even plans on directing one of the episodes. Of course, I?d be remiss if I didn?t mention that J.J. also hoped to direct an episode of LOST for oh, the past two seasons. And that if Trekkies had their way, Abrams would most likely be locked inside the STAR TREK editing bay ? at phaser-point ? until the movie was completely finished. I mean it?s bad enough Paramount already had to push the movie?s release from Christmas ?08 to Summer ?09. Trekkies aren?t known for their patience. Well, maybe those unemotional Vulcans? But I digress.

Not surprisingly, FRINGE will include everything fans have come to expect from a J.J. Abrams Adventure. Mysterious hieroglyphs, strange watermarks and unexplained phenomena such as green glowing frogs. In addition, Abrams promised, as only Abrams could, that everything will be revealed in due time. In other words, viewers should ensure Tylenol is at the ready. As I have a feeling we?re in for several seasons of question after question after question. Only to be followed by one disappointing answer and did we mention, more questions.

So many questions in fact that it was decided that forty-three minutes was not enough time each week to pack everything the creative team wanted to into each and every episode. So FOX gave Abrams fifty minutes. Which means we can finally put to rest one big mystery. With the ability to convince greedy network executives to shave seven minutes of commercial time off a very expensive show, J.J. Abrams is officially the most powerful man in Hollywood.

Discuss.

18. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This show does look interesting, though I found it funny that it starts with a plane crash *coughlostcough*. But as I'll already be watching House, I'll stay on to see what it's all about.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm looking forwards to this one.

20. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Wow, 51 minutes. That's awesome. Look for that to change quickly if the show achieves huge ratings.

21. corran2

May 16, 2006
    J.J. Abrams has said at Comic-Con that Fringe will be more standalone then Lost or Alias. Then, later in the panal, he said the mythology would begin very soon at the start of the series. I'm wondering if this show will be like X-Files, 8-9 standalones then 1-2 mythology episdoes,

22. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I'm looking forward to this one. Looks very interesting.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Actors and Creators talk Fringe on the Comic Con Panel

17 August 2008 9:35 AM, PDT | From toxicshock.tv | See recent toxicshock news

"The cast, creators, writers and producers talk about their upcoming sci-fi thriller television series ?Fringe? starring Joshua Jackson (Shutter, Fletch Won) and Charlotte Rampling (Deception). Producer J.J. Abrams (Cloverfield, Star Trek) claims that this new show will be much easier to follow than his previous creations such as the hit series Lost and Alias. Plot: A television drama centered around a female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientists in order to rationalize a brewing storm of unexplained phenomena. Catch the series premiere of Fringe, Tue September 9, 2008 at 8/7c, only on Fox! Stay tuned to Toxic Shock TV for the latest Fringe videos and news."

Brian Corder

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    How exactly is this not a (hopefully more coherent) version of The X-Files? :p

Not that I'm complaining, but their denials seem a bit thin.

25. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Apparently JJ believes that although everyone thinks he's ripping off X-Files now, after they've seen some of the show they'll think he's ripping off The Twilight Zone. So, there you go, at least the man is honest :p

Seriously though, it's not like The X-Files was a one-off, never-seen-before kind of show. I don't really care if Fringe is similar, so long as it's as great as his previous work. It'll have to go some to outdo Lost, and that doesn't really depend on JJ, it depends on showrunner Jeff Pinker. Will he be able to match the high benchmark set by Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, adn their awesome crew?