main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From a Certain Point of View - Obi-Wan Discussion Thread - Evil Obi Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, Padme was an extraordinarily intelligent woman. While she loved Anakin with her whole being, I'm sure that part of that included loving his volatile, unpredictable nature. She knew why he was like that, and loved him for it, but most of all... she understood that that was just part of Anakin.

Obi-Wan, on the other hand, was the exact opposite of volatile and unpredictable. He was steadfast, good, and honorable. If she needed someone she knew would be trustworthy in all situations, Obi-Wan would be it. Anakin... she had to have know that, while she loved him, Anakin was not as steadfast and trustworthy all the time as Obi-Wan.

EDIT: I just got the 100th post! A winner is me!

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    um...trying to tear myself away from Obi-Clone -

How do you view Obi/Padme's relationship?

They're both people with a strong sense of duty and loyalty. They will do what they see is right, despite the personal cost. They are principled (even if she is a politician).

I could so totally see them in an AU leading the rebellion (ah, plot bunny?).

3. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Phew! Wow! The thread has left me behind! :( but since it seems to have picked up so many new faces, I guess thats all right! :) Welcome aboard everyone!! Since Darth Exams kidnapped me two weeks ago, (Pyxi- those VR obi clones are just the right kind of pick me ups! [face_love] Thank you!!) I guess I'm making somewhat of a late entrance! [face_blush] But hey, what do I need to worry about, aren't I just here for the decor? ;) :D Seriously, Kes thanks for keeping this going, oh lovely co-manageress! and Nienna thank you for keeping the welcoming committee on its toes! and everyone else for sticking with it! :D

Sooo, while I go reaqaint myself with a)my obi clone b)the thread (isn't prioritising fun?), if anyone has anything they want to talk about- the floor is all yours! The attachment challenges are going to be up for a few more weeks so please feel free to take a shot at that too! [face_batting] In the meantime Kes and I are conspiring about a new discussion topic/ thread game *buttons lips* which we'll put up ASAP!

Oooh Obi Padme! Good point! Kes, was that a subtle way of hinting (again) that its about time I drag myself to a bookshop and get ROTS? Would anyone care to enlighten the procrasinating one on what the the book says that about obi padme? Personally obidala stuff has never made sense to me! The age difference for one and for another, it sounds silly, but, to my mind, there's just never been any chemistry between the two! I think if circumstances were different (ie if the council weren't so uptight on the attachments rule and consequently anakin and padme hadn't hid their marriage) i can see a really nice big brother, little sister bond between them, one in which obi wan feels affectiona and protective of Padme.

As it stands, I think the deception and obi wan's sense of duty and professional distance (which he rationalises behind his distrust of politicians even if he did feel padme was different!) creates a barrier, though i have to say, its intriguing that Padme in ROTS seemed keen on bringing obi in to the picture [face_thinking] That may suggest that she has already talked to obi wan about some things, but is encouraging anakin to seek him so that she can have those conversations 'in the open' (which is doubtlessly more comfortable) What does everyone else think? Did my rambling make any sense at all?

4. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Yes, your rambling did make sense, Stella. :) And I agree with everything you said. I've never thought of Obi-Wan and Padme of having a brother/sister bond but the more I look at it, the more I see that you're right. What I think they had was a friendship that had an unspoken trust no matter what--even if Obi-Wan does have some...dislike toward politicians. I don't see the having the closeness of a brother and sister but I do see the beginnings of it in the saga. I don't have the ROTS book so this is how I've always percieved their relationship.

A game? Great! I can't wait to see what it is soon! [face_dancing]

5. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I second Katie; great thoughts Stella_Ripple! :D And I also agree that Padme and Obi-Wan's bond was that of a trusting brother and sister. I don't think there was any romance there. Even if Obi-Wan would have allowed himself to have romantic feelings (which he showed no sign on doing), he would never show anything more than friendship to Padme, simply because Padme is Anakin's. Obi-Wan knows this. He may not know the details, but he sees their affection for each other. Showing feelings for her (or even having them) would walk the line of betrayal in Obi-Wan's eyes, and he would never think of doing that to someone. Look at his reaction to Anakin's betrayal. He didn't see it coming and it tore him apart. That's not the reaction of someone who'd seriously thought about it before.

Just my two credits. :)

Oooh! A game? *jumps up and down* You and Kes had better not keep your lips buttoned for long. [face_mischief] ;)

6. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Here we go...

Board Game- Ask Obi! Everyone?s invited! Sign up now!

Ever wondered what Master Kenobi does in his spare time? How did such an (obviously) in demand Jedi manage his social obligations? Or how he coped with the stressful years of training? What do you think he thought of his sudden jumpstart as a master? Did he have a secret stash of sleeping pills to dole out to padawans in need of a time-out? And how long did it REALLY take for him to learn to go to sleep with his eyes open in the Council meetings?
    If you want to know the answers to these questions and more?just Ask Obi!

As true Obi fans, I?m sure we?ve all come up with our share of ?I wonder what Obi Wan was thinking when?? or ?What do you think Obi thinks about?.? Unfortunately, sometimes even our obi clones don?t have all the answers, so here?s your chance to let loose all that bottled up (some not so tightly screwed as others!) curiosity:

PM any and all, serious or silly, questions you have for Obi to our sock Kestella or to Stella_Ripple or Kestrel_Kenobi--- you have until Sunday!

Once we?ve got a list of all the questions we?ll put up the whole list here on this thread and then everyone is welcome to take a shot at as many or as few questions as you like from Obi Wan?s POV and then post them here on this thread...

Sooo? get thinking!
    Have fun on our very first board game everyone! :D

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    YAY! [face_dancing] Wonderful idea, guys! This should definitely spark some bunnies. Uh oh! I'd better run for cover...

I'll have to think... [face_thinking]

"board game" < [face_laugh] *laughs at the double meaning* Yes, it took me that long to get it... :p

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    This is a great idea

What to ask, what to ask [face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking]

The questions and answers should be very interesting!

9. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Have we stunned the thread into silence? Or are you all busy thinking of questions we can actually post on the boards? [face_mischief]

[image=http://www.wintercircle.net/ewan_kilt.jpg]

Does this inspire you!? :D

10. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Ewan in a kilt!

....Okay, fangirl moment over.

Yes, I am pondering questions. :)

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    :D

Quick request - I'm away this weekend so it's probably a good idea to send questions to the sock (Kestella) or stella_ripple rather than me!

Thanks everyone :)

and yes...Ewan in a kilt...[face_love]

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Stella_Ripple, your ramblings made sense to me. Obi-Wan and Padme have a brother-sister type relationship, or a collegues in arms friendship. But one thing that's often overlooked is that Padme is a politician and Obi-Wan just doesn't trust them. Obi-Wan may respect and like Padme personally, but he'll always look down on her profession.

13. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Nienna: [face_laugh]I'm so glad someone appreciated my little pun! :D If I hadn't stumbled onto that, I would have probably just gone with calling it (the more correct) Interview Game...but double entendres are my especial delight!

Kelia:I know, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! *rubs hand in anticipation* [face_mischief]

ardanvenport: I think that makes perfect sense, and is definately a realistic view of the obi padme relations as we see it on screen

SOME QUICK REMINDERS!
    1. Please don't feel the new game means we have to suspend our discussions! Feel free to carry on the obi padme and/or any other points on obi's attachments OR if you have a question you're PMing us for the game and want to feel out the crowd before attempting to answer it (if you choose to do so when the master list is put up!) bring that out too!

2. I think we might have forgotten to mention this earlier, but just in case, please note There are NO restrictions on the number of questions you send in to us for the game

ahem *steps down from the podium* yes, you may now return to your regular programmes! Psst! Kes! Bring out the kilted Jedi! :D

14. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Yay! [face_dancing] I'm already beginning to think of some good questions to ask.

[face_love] Yes, I'm getting plenty of inspiration from the picture. *sigh*

15. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Laydeez! I bring you, for your delectation, two photos which will provide you with hours of fun, should you wish to combine them...;)

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/EwanKilt.jpg]

AND

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/403px-Electric_Fan_720x1070.jpg]

:D

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I didn't get that right away, Magenta. But when I did.... [face_laugh]

17. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Loved that M_M!!! Great use of two very essential pieces of equipment! ;)

18. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I bring you, for your delectation, two photos which will provide you with hours of fun, should you wish to combine them

You mean fan ourselves while oogling the pic, right? :p

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very creative Magenta_Moonshadow!

19. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Padawan, Padawan. [face_shame_on_you] What am I going to do with you? :p

Well, you know what they say. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. =P~ Just watch how you blow that fan...

20. Jedi_Freyja

Jedi_Freyja Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2005
    lol!!!

That's about all I can say. :D

21. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Glad you liked it - you're all lucky I didn't tell you the very old joke about Scotsmen...:p

it goes like this:

A rather cheeky young girl goes up to a Scotsman and asks: "Is anything worn under the kilt?"

To which he replies: "Nae, lassie, everything's in perfect working order..."

;)

22. Jedi_Freyja

Dec 4, 2005
    Ahhhhh! [face_blush]

What a joke! :p

I'll have to remember that for...well, I don't know, but I'll remember it. :D

23. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Greetings. I've never posted in the Obi-wan thread, whats the discussion at the moment???

24. Jedi_Freyja

Dec 4, 2005
    Well Star_Rocker, currently everyone seems enamored with the concept of Obi/Ewan in a kilt. :p If that's not your style, there's also Padme and Obi's relationship to discuss. Or if you have a question that you would ask Obi if you ever met him, pm it to stella or the kestella sock by Sunday.

Did I get it right everyone?

Welcome Star_Rocker! :D

25. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Lovely pics of kilted Ewan! [face_blush] Will that fan be in use any time soon? And the new board game sounds like fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.