main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Krueger, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am 100% looking forward to that.

Vialco and Dream-Thinker like this.
  2. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Promising stuff here. And if we wait three years, we may FINALLY get a story told from poor Arvel Crynyd's point of view, too...!
    I expect Dash and Zev to get a look in. Last chance to retcon Hobbie's death, too.
    I hope this isn't made a hardback and a 'Disney only release' as was VERY annoyingly done with Poe Dameron Free Fall, here in the Uk, though.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That was a different publisher. The YA hardbacks are published by Lucasfilm Press in the US and Egmont in the UK, but they only do crappy paperbacks and not every YA novel. Frankly, you're better off nabbing the YA hardbacks - they're quality volumes.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So we are getting a story on Luke v Vader at the cave and the Luke v Vader at Bespin? Boy, I am excited about this.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can second this.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Chrissonofpear2

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, if I had ROOM for hardbacks, I might, and money to spend on it. But I got done for accidental damage today, so money will not be a free flowing commidity for a while - and neither is shelf space.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That sounds rough.

Still, I'm reasonably certain that on the YA volumes there is no size difference between the hardback and paperback formats. There used to be and think there still is on the DR/Century books, but it's the paperbacks that have increased in size.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  8. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm not entirely familiar with the challenges @Chrissonofpear2 mentioned re: Free Fall, but the plan is for hardcover release in the UK, as far as I'm aware.

Endol and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's a weird one.

I think it must be something linked to rights of sale or something in specific markets, but getting hold of the US hardbacks of YA SW books is hugely variable. Some disappear after launch as there tends to be a UK paperback; for others, they can still be gotten hold of; some are very difficult to obtain, as was the case with Force Collector.

The hardback of this is able to be preordered in most places. I currently have an Amazon preorder but might switch if I see a better offer nearer the time.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clarifying everything!

11. Chrissonofpear2

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, my point is I almost always go paperback, not hardback - both for reasons of space, cost, and the extra content paperbacks often have (extracts, short stories etc) But I guess I am prepared to wait, in this case - and get my head in order, etc.

12. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Thank you so much for this update. Egmont recently got taken over by a different publisher with the name Egmont now consigned to magazines only. This may explain the lack of YA novels in the UK. The last ones were the paperbacks of Queens Shadow and Force Collector (although Myths and Fables was hardback).

If there are plans for hardback in the UK, that would be great!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just buy the US hardback if you can, size will be the same, as will cost - may be a bit cheaper on the YA hardbacks.

Sinrebirth and Endol like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For those in the UK, SpeedyHen have this for pre-order at £14.76.

They're generally very good but, like everyone else, have been whacked by covid.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/empir...iew-the-empire-strikes-back-exclusive-excerpt
    On May 21, 1980, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back made its theatrical debut. To celebrate the classic film’s landmark 40th anniversary, StarWars.com presents Empire at 40,” a special series of interviews, editorial features, and listicles.

Fans of Solo: A Star Wars Story and L3-37, this is for you.

Earlier this year, StarWars.com announced From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, a new anthology celebrating 40 years of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Arriving November 10, the book collects 40 stories by 40 authors reimagining the classic sequel through the eyes of background characters — heroes, villains, droids and creatures. Including some welcome returns.

In StarWars.com’s exclusive excerpt of Brittany N. Williams’ “Faith in an Old Friend,” we flashback to the Millennium Falcon‘s desperate journey following the Battle of Hoth, as Han Solo, Leia Organa, and friends look to escape the Empire’s clutches. Except here, we’re reintroduced to L3-37, Lando Calrissian’s rebellious droid. Now one with the Falcon‘s central computer, L3-37 is as spirited as ever — and we wouldn’t want it any other way.

“I’m probably one of many people who read Last Shot and watched Solo and fell in love with L3-37,” Williams tells StarWars.com. “She has this great design, she’s hilarious and dynamic, she and Lando had this amazing rapport, and then, Kessel happened. Like, I think about L3-37 every time I see the Millennium Falcon now. So when I got the invite to write a story for From a Certain Point of View, it’s like here’s the perfect opportunity to make sure that our girl is alright and give her another moment with Lando. And I couldn’t really pass that up.”

In addition, StarWars.com caught up with editor Thomas Hoeler to talk about putting together such an ambitious project, and how From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back supports a good cause.

StarWars.com: How does the role of editor on an anthology like From a Certain Point of View differ from working on a traditional novel?

Thomas Hoeler: It is similar, just more so. Editing an anthology is a much bigger challenge than focusing on a single book. Anytime you begin a book project by opening a spreadsheet, you know you are in a bit of trouble! Coordinating 40 different stories, contracts, email chains, edit passes, etc. could easily become overwhelming. Luckily, we have an amazing team across Del Rey and Lucasfilm to keep it all organized. But it is so much fun and so rewarding, I frequently call it “the best bad idea we’ve ever had.”

StarWars.com: How did the selection of characters to include in this book come about?

Thomas Hoeler: When asked, we always are happy to make a recommendation or provide some options, but the selections really all come from the authors own concepts and ideas. And the best part is, try as you might to guess which characters might be chosen, the end results always have unexpected and exciting choices. CB Lee has a story about the guy holding a crate, walking between Han/Leia’s Hoth hallway argument? Tracy Deonn writing about the cave on Dagobah? John Jackson Miller revisiting RAE SLOANE?

StarWars.com: Was there any attempt to link some of the stories together?

Thomas Hoeler: Most important is that the voice and writing styles of individual authors shine through. So we don’t mandate a ton of connections unless it was needed to retain the cohesion of the film’s story. Regardless, so many authors jumped at the chance to have tie-ins both big and small to each other. For example, Seth Dickinson and John Jackson Miller’s stories intertwine in some crucial ways. And of course, you can’t have stories about all the bounty hunters without some connections. Beyond those examples, keen readers will find Easter eggs to Star Wars stories past and present sprinkled throughout the anthology.

StarWars.com: What are some of the highlights from working on a project like this?

Thomas Hoeler: Easily getting to share in the excitement of the community of authors and Star Wars fans. Having these social media hangouts to reveal contributors and stories and seeing the conversations across the fandom. Especially at a time when we’ve been separated from each other, or forced to miss out on great community gatherings like conventions. It is just wonderful to build positive community moments together, celebrate what Star Wars has meant to so many different generations, and explore the possibilities for Star Wars storytelling in the future.

StarWars.com: Tell us about First Book and how this book will benefit them.

Thomas Hoeler: First Book is a fantastic organization whose mission is to provide equal access to quality education. It was fantastic to once again support this amazing organization with the second anthology. In honor of the project, Penguin Random House has donated $100,000 to First Book, and Disney/Lucasfilm has donated 100,000 children’s books. But the real stars are the authors who all generously donated their time, energy, and all their proceeds from the anthology to First Book. You can read more about this amazing organization on their website, firstbook.org.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is there a story of the Bespin fight between Luke and Vader?

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I believe that would be “The Witness” by Adam Christopher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth and vong333 like this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/empir...trikes-back-audiobook-cast-revealed-exclusive
    On May 21, 1980, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back made its theatrical debut. To celebrate the classic film’s landmark 40th anniversary, StarWars.com presents Empire at 40,” a special series of interviews, editorial features, and listicles.

You have never experienced — or heard — Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back quite like this.

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, arriving November 10, is a new anthology celebrating 40 years of Episode V. The collection gathers 40 stories that reimagine Episode V through the eyes of background characters, and bringing those stories to life in audio form is an all-star lineup of fan-favorite Star Wars actors as well as newcomers to a galaxy far, far away.

StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal the full cast, which includes Jon Hamm (Mad Men) making his second turn as a Star Wars reader — having read as Boba Fett in the first From a Certain Point View — with “Wait for It” by Zoraida Cordova; Emily Woo Zeller, fresh off playing the titular shady archaeologist in Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original; and veteran narrator Dion Graham, making his Star Wars reading debut. Check out the complete cast below:

Jonathan Davis

Sean Kenin Elias-Reyes

Dion Graham

Jon Hamm

January LaVoy

Soneela Nankani

Marc Thompson

Sam Witwer

Emily Woo Zeller

Vialco likes this.
  19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Sam Witwer????!!1

This just turned my horrific day into a good one! I love hearing his voice!

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-inside-empire-strikes-backs-anniversary-antholog-1845487070
    Today’s drop is new—the command center. Chase gulps as he pushes open the door. It’s not a usual part of his routine, but it is now—apparently Joenn’s mechanic skills keep her in demand enough in the hangar that she isn’t doing running duties anymore.

“New holoprojector for you,” Chase announces.

Toryn Farr turns as he sets down the heavy package. “Can you set it up? I’m expecting—” She snaps back to her comm station, intently listening through her headset.

Chase waits awkwardly until she relays a short series of commands back, fidgeting with his pack until Toryn finally notices he’s still there.

“Was there something else?”

“Bantha milk, from your sister. She says remember to take breaks.” Chase offers the bottle with a smile.

Toryn’s gaze softens as she takes the bottle. “Wilsorr, right?” The chief communications officer smiles at him. “Thank you.”

Chase beams proudly. Raysi Anib was right. People do value him when he values himself.

Oh. General Rieekan is right there.

If you don’t ask the question, you’ll never have the answer.

“General Rieekan? Would you like some caf? I was doing a run to the hangar and had some—”

“Thank you, that would be great.” Blunt. Short. To the point. The general doesn’t even look away from the plans he’s poring over, but he gestures at his empty mug.

Chase pours caf out of his thermos. Now’s his chance.

“General Rieekan, I hope you know that I—”

The hawk-eyed man turns his scrutinizing gaze toward Chase. “Who are you again?”

“Chase Wilsorr, sir. I requested sentry duty and was denied—”

“Oh, right, Lieutenant Dana’s trainee.” General Rieekan frowns.

“I hope that—”

“Listen, son, I’m very busy. I know you want to help, but the best thing for you right now is what you’re suited for. Major Monnon explicitly said—”

“I know that I’m not good with weapons, sir. Or hand-eye coordination. Or fighting. Or any of that, really. But I could take shifts on sentry duty, I really—”

General Rieekan claps him on the shoulder. “That’s the attitude and determination I like to see. I have a critical mission for you.”

Chase’s heart pounds with excitement. “Yes?”

Chase curses as he hefts another heavy supply crate through tunnel 05-92 to Echo Station 5-4 outside the base. He knocks on the durasteel doors and waits for them to slide open.

Rainn Poras smirks as he sets down the crate. “Hey, thanks for the critical delivery,” he says with a sarcastic smile.

Chase rolls his eyes.

“These blasters need to be recharged—they’re all in this crate here.”

Chase grabs the other crate, his eyes stinging in the cold wind. He can’t even enjoy being out here at the sentry point, being able to see the sky and the sunshine. Ice and snow stretch out into the endless horizon—nothing on the tundra, everything swaths of the same off-white, white and gray and blue unrelenting ice.

“Can you believe he applied three times to sentry duty?”

“Apparently Lieutenant Dana keeps running out of excuses to keep him busy.”

“Is it true Wilsorr tripped over his own feet during weapons training and destroyed three barracks?”

Their voices carry as he makes his way back through the tunnel, and Chase grits his teeth as he shuffles forward. I am important, he reminds himself, even as he doesn’t believe it anymore.

“Don’t listen to them. I mean, I can see how the general was thinking—you didn’t think your duties were critical before, and he’s said they are, so—”

Chase plops down on the crate he’s supposed to be delivering to the hangar, sighing. “Should I just stop trying?”

Jordan shrugs. “I think if you really want sentry duty, you could keep asking for it, but I also think you’re great just the way you are.”

Chase bites his lip, quickly looking away from the way Jordan’s shoulders look in his thermal shirt. “How are you not cold?” Jordan’s jacket is lying discarded next to the hoverlift stacked high with bales of fungus.

“Gets too hot throwing these around. This is nothing.” Jordan grins at him, his warm brown eyes sparkling with mischief.

Chase likes the way words fit in Jordan’s mouth, like they’re round with delight, his deep accent making ordinary words sparkle with Jordan’s quick-witted amusement. These moments with Jordan are always the best part of his day.

Jordan leans forward, placing his hands on Chase’s shoulders, rubbing them with his palms. “You cold, Yavin baby?”

“N-no. Yes. I told you, I’m from Takodana! I mean. Cold. Uh, not anymore. I—”

Be open to possibility. Others won’t know how you feel unless you tell them. Your most confident self is waiting for you to open the door.

Chase opens his mouth, and then closes it.

“I gotta go,” Chase mutters, stumbling backward and grabbing his crate. He breaks into a quick jog. He’s not running away from his crush. He’s not. He’s just . . . getting back to work.

Chase’s breath billows in front of him in quick puffs as he leaves the tauntaun pens with the crate. Ugh, why didn’t he stay? Was that flirting? Maybe he should have said something witty or suave. “I’m from Takodana!” Chase mutters to himself. Un-kriffing-believable.

Ugh. Hoth. He hates it so much.

Where was he going again?

Right, main hangar.

Chase makes a quick right into one of the main tunnels; other personnel walk quickly through, and the sounds of the command room echo through the wider corridor. Ahead of him are familiar voices.

“You want me to stay because of the way you feel about me!”

Chase can see Captain Solo striding ahead of Princess Leia Organa as she quickens her pace to match his. “Yes, you’re a great help, a natural leader—”

Oh, not this again. Chase has seen them pretend to argue all over the base; in the mess halls, in corridors, in the hangar. Not that the argument against fickleberries baked on meatpies was without merit—Chase is clearly for combining savory and sweet and loves that Alderaanian custom—but honestly, to drag it out for an hour just to annoy the other person is too much. And now they’re in his way. Can’t they flirt somewhere else? He’s got a job to do.

Captain Solo leans closer, and every centimeter of his handsome face annoys Chase to no end. Some people can’t just sweep into the Rebellion with their own ship and accept actual critical missions from General Rieekan and banter with the princess all over Echo Base. Some people aren’t handsome and don’t have a presence like Han Solo. Some people are just ordinary people, okay?

Chase grips his crate tighter and steps right into the scant space between them and ignores the rising argument behind him.

“You could use a good kiss!” Captain Solo bellows. It echoes throughout the corridor.

The absolute nerve.

Chase bristles, his knuckles turning white as he picks up the pace. He’s so tired of people like Solo. You know who’s never been kissed? Chase Wilsorr, that’s who. He could certainly use a good kiss. It offends him that Captain Solo and Princess Leia are just arguing about it, the way they’ve been dancing around each other since they’ve arrived on Hoth, clearly pretending to hate each other. Don’t attractive people have anything better to do than to taunt everyone else on the base with their unresolved tension?

Daneira likes this.
  21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    so... after this we get FACPOV ROTJ... and then FACPOV Prequels or FACPOV Sequels? FACPOV Rogue One or Solo? FACPOV Holiday Special? FACPOV Ewok movies?

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I am here in body and soul for FACPOV ROTJ.

23. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    You joke, but I would be love it. XD

All I ask for is Max Rebo. That would make my week.

24. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I was not joking... just as usually dreaming up book series continuing logically as they should despite usually them at some point being cut short... like my beloved Essential Guides... or other book series discontinued despite them necessary or glorious had they kept being made for every movie and era.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  25. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Well, in which case if they keep the 40 year anniversary thing...

2023: FACPOV Return of the Jedi
    2024: FACPOV Caravan of Courage
    2025: FACPOV The Battle for Endor
    2039: FACPOV The Phantom Menace
    2042: FACPOV Attack of the Clones
    2045: FACPOV Revenge of the Sith
    2055: FACPOV The Force Awakens
    2056: FACPOV Rogue One
    2057: FACPOV The Last Jedi
    2058: FACPOV Solo
    2059: FACPOV The Rise of Skywalker

The 40th year anniversary for the Holiday Special has already passed (2018).

I don't know if I can wait 39 years!! :p