main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    there's a whole storyline called 'Obsession' that deals with some of the aftermath as well.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Now, that's an intriguing plotline that doesn't fit at all with the Clone Wars cartoon. In the cartoon, Ventress starts working for Dooku and her first job is to go after Anakin, who dramatically kills her --- unless she doesn't die in that fight? I can't see any room for where she would run into Obi-Wan.

3. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Ventress doesn't die in the Clone Wars cartoon fight. The Obsession series is fantastic; I love how it ends, leaving the door open for all sorts of possibilities.:)

4. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Um, not spamming lol, but Jennifer_Lyn has a wonderful Obi/Asajj story you might want to check out!

5. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Metastasis, for the First Padawan Challenge. AU.

6. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    Darn! I have a lot of reading to do!!! It'll take forever to read all the books! I haven't even read all the Jedi Apprentice books yet!! [face_laugh] [face_blush]

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, so many fics to catch up on, but I've got to wait a few weeks yet, after my trips.

The Jedi Apprentice books read very fast! It's hardly any trouble at all to catch up on them. They're 9-12 year-old level writing and you're not going to find very sophisticated plots, but they're mighty fun. Though since some have gone out of print, it's a little work to find them all.

And Metastasis is very, very AU. A scenario where Qui-Gon has a first padawan with much more evil potential than Anakin had with Obi-Wan.[face_worried]

8. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    That stinks. About some of the Jedi Apprentice books, I mean. I've read the first none, which is the only one I own, so many times I've got it memorized pretty much. Wish I could find them all. . . .anyway, that sounds interesting!!!!!!!

9. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    *stumbles in after finishing her history homework*

I was fortunate to get the JA collection as a big Christmas present a few years ago before they started discontinuing them. Wait...scratch that. I am missing one - I forget the number, but I think it was somewhere in the late teens. Eighteen maybe? I've only read through "The Ties that Bind", but my favorite up until then was definitely "The Uncertain Path" with Cerasi. It brought a tear to my eye. :)

Lady_Padme_Organa - you could probably find the discontinued ones on Ebay or used from Amazon.com. :)

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I still find myself picking them up for a reread. Doesn't take long, but it's a welcome diversion. :D :D

11. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    i was lucky enough to get them all in one huge ebay auction last year. i'm very 50/50 on them. knowing they are accepted as canon, yet really not liking some of what went on between Obi and Qui is tough.

for anyone that's missing any of them and needs info for plot points, etc., i know wookiepedia has summaries of them or you can ask one of us that have read them all for help. :D

oh, and i've got an entry for the Evil Obi challenge...

From My Point of View...

12. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Challenge entries have been updated!

Any more takers? [face_mischief]

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm working on it. Just have writer's block because Obi-Wan's so adorable.

14. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    that's as good a reason as any i've heard!

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, it makes more sense than saying that I made bread instead of writing last night.

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    lol - I played online Chess all last night, of course I meant to write...but you know how it is when these other important things come up...procrastinate? Me?... :p

But I agree, Obi is very distracting...

[image=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/kestrel_kenobi/300px-Kenobi-EpIII.jpg]

17. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    =P~ =P~

Distracting--what? Did you say something? :p

Just have writer's block because Obi-Wan's so adorable.

DarthIshtar - Now that was classic! *giggles* That should be every fan fiction writer's excuse. [face_batting]

18. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Totally off topic, but some of you have probably missed this...we can now set our own time zones!

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24749629&brd=10006&start=24752531

Yippee!

erm, how to bring this on topic...

Obi and Maul [face_batting]

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002

I hope you dance... Obi-Wan.

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Kestrel, thanks for posting the link about the timezones even though it was off topic. I totally knew nothing about it till I saw that and I think it's awesome that when I hit post now the time matches the one on my PC :p

As for the Jedi Apprentice series, I take everything Watson says with a grain of salt. :p Her characterization of Qui-Gon is terrible, IMHO. That was one thing I really hated about it. He never seemed to tell Obi-Wan how proud he was of him or anything really. The one thing I did think was pure Qui-Gonish was giving Obi a rock for his birthday :p Only Qui-Gon would do something like that :p

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Reading the JA books made me hate Qui-Gon. :p He was okay in TPM, didn't like him with that Council room scene, and then just a real butthead in the books.

In TPM, I didn't think Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had the kind of relationship Obi-Wan and Anakin did in ROTS. The latter was more brothers/best friends, while the former was more father/son and teacher/student. Yet there was definitely a relationship - it was just very subtle. The way Watson handled the pairings, I hardly saw any kind of progression from complete strangers to loving bond. All I saw was a lot of Obi angst because Qui-Gon was being mean to him. :p I could understand that because he was a teenager, but given all he'd gone through, and compared to the reasons why Anakin was an angsty teen, it just didn't work for me.

And don't even get me started on what JW did to Anakin. That's for another thread anyway. :D

In the end, I tend to take the events as canon, but the characterisations I take with big handfuls of salt.

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004

He never seemed to tell Obi-Wan how proud he was of him or anything really.

Lol, L. I thought that was perfectly in keeping. My teachers don't tell me how proud they are of me, either. :p

In any case, I don't think Jedi training emphasizes always telling students how proud their teachers are. Most students don't expect it - and besides, I always thought the bond ought to make up for a lot of verbal communication.

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    My teachers don't tell me how proud they are of me, either.

Well true, most teachers don't. However, to me Qui/Obi's relationship seemed more Father/Son and he should have at least showed some affection. A gentle braid tug, a hand on the shoulder, or some praise for a job well done at least.

Qui-Gon was just far too cold in the books. He didn't really warm up until around book 11 and even then he wasn't exactly that warm :p and then it all crashed down again in book 14 :p He's the Living Force, that requires a certain degree of empathy, even when he was rejecting Obi-Wan, he could have been kinder about it.

24. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ack! Little time to reply--I'll be mostly away from the boards for the next couple weeks.

I loved the depiction of Qui-Gon and Anakin in the JW books. More often than not, people don't say how they really feel and Qui-Gon seems like the kind of guy who would have that flaw. But there are places where he thinks how proud he is of Obi-Wan! Sometimes he even says it, too. I'll have to look up those quotes later when I can.

In TPM, when Obi-Wan apologizes, it looked terribly manipulative of Obi-Wan to me, like he knows how to get Qui-Gon to soften up -- just wait a little, be repentent and Qui-Gon will give in. I have this feeling that Obi-Wan is much more aware of Qui-Gon's flaws than Qui-Gon is, and he knows how to work around them -- he is the negotiator after all. In that respect, he is much wiser, and Qui-Gon is at least conscious of that.

Anakin in Jedi Quest is a good, earnest kid, but he was always looking to make things go his way 'He didn't want to break any Jedi rules, just find the spaces between them.' That's pure Anakin and eventually was his downfall.

25. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Can someone remind me how old qui and obi are in TPM?

I'm thinking 25 and 60...ish?

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.