main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    By that point they did have a great deal of evidence to hand over, including what we had just seen on Jakku.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    As uncomfortable as the parallel may be, I'm fairly certain that the New Republic was supporting the Resistance the same way the Afghans were supported against the Soviet Union. It may just have been a couple of Senators like Charlie Wilson and their private sector buddies combined with the CIA and Pakistan but that was a LOT of money, weapons, and political favors.

Certainly, Hux was genuinely indignant over it.

I'm fairly sure they're not getting any benefit from building in their shipyards. The Corellia we see is an impoverished hellhole. One bit of realism is the fact that the Empire doesn't share prosperity beyond its inner circle of oligarchs.

As naturalized Scottish Egyptian Sallah would say, "They hire only strong backs and pay only pennies."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Eh, I think you have to take into account that we only see the very poorest of the poor in Correlia. Han doesn't necessarily represent the average citizen of that planet. Most countries in real life have a socio-economic spectrum. Depending on the country, that might be heavily weighted towards poverty of prosperity, but there aren't really any countries that are all rich or all poor.

Some dialogue in Fallen Order mentions that many of the people of the core worlds are more prosperous under the Empire than they were under the Republic. I don't think it's just a tiny circle of oligarchs getting rich, it's more that the Empire sees the people of the Core Worlds as their central support base and directs the flow of wealth and security towards this demographic. This supportive demographic is largely kept isolated from all the damage the Empire is doing.

Time for another parallel- look at modern China. The Communist Party is mainly supported by Han Chinese in the eastern cities. They overwhelmingly get the most benefit from the current system. Most of these people either don't care about, don't know about, or will outright defend the vicious exploitation and ruthless oppression of Tibetans and Uyghurs in China's distant western provinces.

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    IIRC the Solo visual guide supports the idea that no, we're not just looking at the poorest sections of Corellia, the whole planet is described as being past it's prime.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm fine with that, especially if the NuCanon habit of recanonizing old EU things continues with Corellia being an independent and democracy-minded world.

Also, you can claim Black Sun (Crimson Dawn?) and Flirry Vorru ran the place into the ground.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The NuCanon will reveal that one of the reason why Corellia is as it is now is that they in their independent and democracy-mindedness tried a Corexit and then found out that they were no longer as important as they believed themselves to be.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    In Most Wanted, they leave Coronet City at some point and go to some upper class suburb with lots of trees.

JediBatman and AusStig like this.
  8. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    Senator Wan and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I prefer to think Corellia is past its prime because of the Ancient Sith/Fall of the Old Republic (the real one).

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting... [face_thinking]

Don't forget the Doug Chiang/Porsche project to design a "New Republic Assault Ship" for TROS. I posted clips from that video a month or so ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if the New Republic is at least MENTIONED in TROS. To what degree, who knows. We'll find out in less than a few weeks...

--Adm. Nick

Senator Wan and ColeFardreamer like this.
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They still have time to correct their awful mistake of reducing the NR to a Rebellion (Luke stated in 8 that the "Rebellion is reborn today" as if it were a triumphant moment) and do a shout out to Dark Empire and have Rey triumphantly order the, uh, villain to surrender the galaxy to the New Republic! at the end of 9.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Gamiel likes this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Nah Rey initiates a triumvirate... with herself, Aftab Ackbar and General Hux :p

13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The film ends with all the characters looking st the camera saying "the New Republic was in our hearts all along!" and they look up in the sky and the Hosnian System has been restored by way of the Dragonballs and then it's also sentient and says "thanks for bringing me and the New Republic fleet back!" And then it smiles at them and they smile back warmly, then suddenly Palpatine is back once again and he laughs triumphantly and Rey says, "I am Obi-Wan reincarnated, but, like, a girl!" And she flexes her eyebrows and Palpatine is erased from spacetime and then everyone starts kissing.

I forgot which topic I was in by the time I finished writing this.

I definitely don't think we'll get a "New Republic exists" scene. It's all Resistance all the time now.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It doesn't make sense in-universe to just forget the Republic and call yourself the Resistance. Then the leadership and PR team of the good guys are just playing into the First Order's narrative. That's literally the last thing you want to do to boost morale in a war.

15. Gantarat

Gantarat Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2019
    Hich Chance, it's will be said on Expanded Editions novel.
    On The Movies? very low.

16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    So, I'm thinking, is it possible that the First Order was an on-off frenemy of the NR, and Snoke's takeover was equivalent of Krayt taking over the Felpire?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I liken it more to the Felpire and the GA. Imperial worlds within the GA and Imperial Missions acting to spread the good word, maybe even keeping the peace for them. A polite and decent if a bit militant public face to the galaxy.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Or it could be like 80s Marvel where the temporary government is called The Resistance of Free Planets but everyone still calls them the Resistance.

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    This Episode IX needs a montage... like ROTJ Special Edition and ROTS had. But, what will the montage be about, how emotional will it be? What places might it show?

Will it be like ROTJ and outro showing peace across the galaxy and celebration? Will it be like ROTS a war montage showing the galaxy rising up and fighting back along the Resistance? Or will it be something else entirely?

It may even tie into politics and be a different kind of montage, like a quick fast forward to the future. A montage showing what happens after the movie with few fastcut scenes of the galaxy coming together, forming a new unnamed government of some kind with us just shown a great senate like hall and many aliens? a throne of balance?

PS: And I demand a scene of many ships converging on Canto Bight to take out the elite... or else no future government will work and fall prey to the same flaws of the old ones!

As Mr Robot tv show put it recently... you got to take out those pulling the strings behind the scenes and profiting from it.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  20. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I feel like 3 montages would honestly work to show the progress of not only the Resistance, but the galaxy as well.

1. The beginning. Show worlds capitulating or fighting back with the Resistance
    2. The middle. The Resistance calls on the galaxy to fight back. See worlds like Mon Cala rise up and wipe out their First Order overseers.
    3. The end. The Resistance wins. Show a celebration of worlds much like the ending to ROTJ.

Darth Caliban and ColeFardreamer like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You demand? Remember your place. [face_devil]

ColeFardreamer and Gamiel like this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    That is exactly why I did demand :p I know my place... it's just this planet has a hard time accepting that and treating me as I deserve! :emperor:

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And now I know how Megatron felt when dealing with Starscream!

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

From the Rise of the Resistance ride. Lt. Bek of Mon Cala. :D

That's it. That's the post. :p

--Adm. Nick

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For such a seemingly primitive planet, Batuu sure knows how to bring the realism into their organic replica droids. :emperor: They still need to stop selling Corellian Spike Sabacc as just Sabacc though. :p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019