main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Not trying to be rude, but whole planet being past its prime =/= there being no middle class on the planet.

Michigan is "past its prime", but it's not like the entire state is one big impoverished underclass.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Obviously planets are big and complicated, even if Corellia as a whole is in the worst economic recession ever seen I'm sure there's at least a couple of nicer areas. But other people were hypothesizing that Solo only shows us the slums of Corellia and that the rest of the planet is pretty much how it was portrayed in Legends. My point was that the visual guide very much seems to indicate that no, they're going with a different interpretation.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Has an in-universe explanation been provided on why exactly, post-Hosnian, they keep calling themselves the Resistance and not the Republic? I mean these naming things are serious business in the real world (Keep in mind to this day, regardless of whose side you are on, or staying neutral, Taiwan's official name is still the Republic of China).

For the Resistance to proclaim themselves the Resistance and not the New Republic (during an active war where morale is desperately needed) seems like Snoke, Kylo, and the Knights of Ren cast one major dark side mindtrick on the entire leadership of the good guys.

Calling them the Resistance is a First Order narrative. Not really spoilers, but from what I saw of the Rise of the Resistance ride the FO keep calling the ridegoers Resistance scum, spies, etc. but not once Republic (unless I missed something on the youtube videos). I wonder how a cast member will react if a ridegoer says "We're the New Republic!" Maybe I'll do that once I get a chance to return to Batuu and take the ride.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Rebels did not call themselves the Republic. Unless and until some sort of government remnant of the NR comes forward claiming leadership...and it recognized by member worlds...the NR is non-existent.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's true no one seemed to acknowledge them on Crait. We'll have to see how 9 handles things.

However, Poe Dameron is still a commander of the Republic military.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Even Luke said in TLJ that the REBELLION will be reborn... I expected them to rebrand themselves as Rebellion, no longer Resistance. Why did that never happen aside out of universe reasons to not confuse idiots which era something belongs to?

I can't see Leia pull an "I am the Senate" and proclaim the Resistance the New Republic while other members and survivors are still out there. But Resistance turning to Rebellion was a given... or so I thought.

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    The Rebellion was a rebellion against the 'legitimate' Imperial government. The Resistance was formed to resist the First Order...and they are not rebelling against the FO they are resisting it.

8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

semantics... the Rebellion was rising up against a legitimate albeit evil government. The Reistance was a proxy-war paramilitary used by NR veterans to fight an enemy the NR could officially not engage yet. As in WW2, the Resistance is resisting a foreign invading force.

But with their secret backer, the NR, gone, the Resistance can become anything.

We kinda have a proto-Arthurian situation where the past government is gone and unprotected land is invaded by foreign forces that whoever stayed behind is fighting back to re-unite the country and create something new and lasting. Like in King Arthur, going by the theory of him being a roman from the time rome retreated from Britain and left it to the northern invaders.

In that regard a Resistance becomes something new, like a Kingdom or Republic or anything else.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Important semantics, by saying that you are rebelling you are declaring the FO as being the rulers of the Galaxy

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Both the Republic AND the Resistance saw the Resistance as not technically part of the Republic militarily or otherwise. The Resistance knows it's standing within the greater order of the galaxy.

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    That is exactly the problem of the world.. people talk over semantics instead of what really matters. Guess that is why nobody came to Crait or the NR did not get their stuff together to do something despite loosing 1 starsystem... they got plenty left, plenty ships and planetary forces too.

But people prefer semantics and to turm words into weapons. Or the otherway around, hide behind semantics. Just like in Resistance Reborn as Poe learns to his annoyance!

12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    No one in the Resistance is in a leadership position of the NR. Poe may be a Commander in the NRDF...and so might others...but there are most likely superior officers out there who are in command of ships and fleets who have latched onto planets that are still standing. There is no information on who has survived form the Line of Secession. Like I said...there needs to be an NR Leadership who is backed by...if not the majority of standing worlds.. several key strongholds who can back that governmental body and persuade others to do so as well.

Right now the Resistance is just a small paramilitary group fighting (resisting) the FO's advance. They are not the Rebellion or the New Republic. Quite frankly...with how incompetent the NR turned out to be by not realizing what the FO was up to...why would anyone want the NR back? The PSFs pretty much have to mirror the Allies in WW2 and unite against a common enemy...and when they defeat it go back to taking care of themselves.

DarthJaceus and seeker_two like this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

I too believe a new government will rise not the NR 2.0. But we won't learn what form it has for that would create backlash. Everyone wants a different utopian end. Still the Resistance can take charge if nobody else does of the NR survivors elsewhere. Not everyone in it may be leadermaterial as you said indeed, but some might grow into it. King Arthur was a warrior before he became a great King, too.

While it is unlikely to happen I fancied this idea for a time: With the galaxy in disarray and fleshlings selfdestructive it'd be the perfect time for a great Droid Uprising. The Resistance may seek what it lacks in numbers with droids. Networks already exist and C3PO King of the droids could unite them as the Golden One. Of course it backfires when someone else issues Order 66 2.0 and takes control of the risen droids, someone more machine than man. Wouldn't it be ironic if the RISE of Skywalker is the resurrection of Anakin Skywalker who frees the salves (droids) in the galaxy and became like them, their MAKER? The galaxy would be in shock and look stupefied at this turn of events.

14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They can't really legitimately call themselves the Republic though can they? They aren't legally members of the government of that state. It'd be the equivalent of anyone calling themselves the Republic in a legal sense. The Resistance is an organisation of the Republic in the sense they are citizens of that state, but they aren't actually the state of the Republic. It's analogous to the French Resistance not being the Third French Republic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Fair enough. In retrospect the silence at Crait could actually mean the Resistance is persona non grata to the actual surviving Republic authority. Not a good sign.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry, Rey will make it legal.

17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    She is the Senate?

Alpha-Red and AusStig like this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Empress Rey Palpatine??

Darth Caliban, AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  19. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Her linage gets revealed to Pryde and the FO joins the Resistance to fight off Sidious's Sith troopers Under Kylo ren going by Supreme leader Ben Solo and Rey Going under Empress Palpatine and Resistance leader will be Poe forming some kind of GA

AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Poe doesn’t strike me as the political type.

But Rose does.

21. Gantarat

Gantarat Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2019
    So What New GOVs or Whatever gonna do with the rest of the first order?

Kill them all?

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Same as ROTJ I suspect - instant galactic collapse, everyone happy except with all the Skywalkers dead.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Same as LOTR, I suspect. When Palpatine and/or Kylo are defeated, miniature black holes appear temporarily next to every First Order and Sith starship, walker and trooper and they all get sucked in.

Jedi Ben, AusStig and DurararaFTW like this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: galactic currency, we saw the first ever New Republic credit in last weeks episode of the Mandalorian! :D

I don't have a screen cap handy, but it is a golden coin with the Starbird in the middle surrounded by a ring of stars. VERY similar in appearance to the Legends NR symbol.

--Adm. Nick

25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Didn't they imply in the Last Jedi visual dictionary that most currencies were made of precious metals? If that is the case why...other than principle...would Mando turn down Imp credits?

AusStig likes this.