main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    From TPM:

"The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate from the Trade Federation. A commission must be appointed."

Spoken by Senator Aks Moe, a Gran.

--Adm. Nick

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well
    I think the Resistance has been fighting, but the New Republic, naturally, hasn't been. After all, that's why the Resistance exists.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I hope the canon situation is similar to the one in Emissaries of Malastare. I love how they took the Dug's who we had only seen through Sebulba, and really humanized them for lack of a better term. The fact that clear colonialist governments are allowed to speak for a planet they subjugate via indentured servitude and the like - is something I think is really important to showcase. Much as I defend the Republic in some regards, this is really messed up and sadly reflects our world startlingly well.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I agree with this 100% - I think it's a really interesting, complex dynamic. I wonder if the Gran have allowed for certain regions or continents where Dugs exist autonomously. After all, Malastare is described as a forest world but the place the Republic set down was, uh, not that.
    [​IMG]

AusStig and vncredleader like this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Malastare has been one of the few planets that have seen have multiple environments. In Bounty Hunter alone there are jungle and high mountain ranges, and I remember there being some variety in the Racer games as well.

Fair enough, that is probably the better approach.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Sure - what I mean is that it makes sense that if the Gran allowed Dugs some autonomy to rule themselves, it would be in less appealing parts of the planet.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe the gran we see as senators are senators on Coruscant because of the same reason many people are given positions as ambassadors or sent to represent their country in EU or UN: the ruling politicians don't want them around where they are.

For all we know so could the three gran we see representing Malastare are maybe an attempt from the dugs to show how tolerant they are by sending some of their gran minority to represent their planet.

Voltron64 likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Could also be a Mon Cal / Quarren type of situation or Utapau with the Utai and Pau'ans....not necessarily talking the animosity we have seen in some sources with regards to Mon Cala...but the Gran tend to be those who want to look outwards and the Dugs want to focus on home. By accepting that of each other they get along and run the planet pretty well to the benefit of all.

AusStig, JediFett10 and Gamiel like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Speaking of senatorial representation, one thing we don't talk a lot about is that the New Republic Senate appears to have two senators per member world. A senior and junior senator, as shown in Bloodline. So, we have a unicameral legislature that models both a parliamentary system and the US Senate's setup.

To the best of my knowledge, all canon instances of New Republic senators are tied to world representation, not species representation. Which makes a lot of sense, IMO. Almost makes me wonder if one of the conditions of membership in the New Republic is having a unified, representative planetary government, like the Federation requires in Star Trek. This wouldn't surprise at all, given how much the New Republic focuses on democratic and egalitarian ideals.

--Adm. Nick

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    @AdmiralNick22 the Imperial Senate also seems to have had junior and senior senators.

Same thing about storytelling changing though. That’s the same book that talks about a Cold War with a rump Empire hemmed in by disarmament treaties.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's true, nothing is set in stone until the films are done. If JJ decides that he wants a fleet of New Republic warships to arrive, the visual guide for the film would simply state "While the home fleet was destroyed as Hosnian Prime, some New Republic warships survived. Commodore So'in'So's fleet was returning from a tour in the Outer Rim when Hosnian Prime was destroyed. Following the Resistance's stand at Crait, So'in'So linked up with General Organa's survivors and became the core of the new Rebel fleet."

Matt Martin echoed something similar on Twitter the other day. Stuff will be kept vague in many cases until the films are done. As it should be.

--Adm. Nick

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hopefully, the New Republic's forces will join the Resistance and submit to their authority.

*AdmiralNick22 twitches*

:)

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m expecting a time jump to IX. So we have time for the New Republic to bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, I think that the Resistance is done. Note the switch over the course of the film to using the term "Rebel" or "Rebellion". I suspect all the good guys in IX (an amalgamation of remaining Resistance, New Republic, allied worlds, independent factions, etc) will all be called the Rebellion or New Rebellion.

--Adm. Nick

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I find Japan overrepresented in speculative fiction so unless its some of the lesser seen eras or cultures of Japan (like the pre-Kamakura periods or the Ainu people) do I think that they should use some of the other Asian cultures.

[face_thinking] you know, an advanced non-nomadic culture whose architecture, clothing and other was influenced by the Mongols (any era) would be interesting to see.

16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think a hodge podge of different Asian cultures. Some Japanese, some Chinese, etc...

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm more partial to an "Alliance" designation, or something like "Alliance of Resistance Against the First Order." "Rebellion" has two issues with me for the lore: #1 is that the film's already in danger of making the military situation be "Diet Galactic Civil War: Less Taste, Less Filling," and #2 is that "Rebellion" has connotations of a firm, long term control by the aggressor power, and unless the time skip is several years, the FO is still a currently conquering force, and not an established status quo.

The Resistance as seen in the previous two films is effectively dead, organizationally. They lost almost all their men and material. I'm hopeful that a significant and large portion of the Galaxy joins the fight to defend what remains of the NR status quo as better than Imperial revanchism. Let the FO have the material advantage, and let the heroes have the numerical advantage.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    While I love the Sequel Trilogy, there is some basis for the "Diet Galactic Civil War: Less Taste, Less Filling" argument, at least in terms of the war itself. I think that the characters have been incredibly strong in the ST, but the entire setup for the war and it's execution hasn't been the best. It's clear that they wanted to capture the dynamic of "Empire vs. Rebels". At the end of the day, it is what it is, but I would definitely like IX to feel different.

--Adm. Nick

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, I've been wondering how the New Republic handles pilots, officers, etc who join the Resistance. It's clear that this happens, I'm surprised we haven't see any repercussions. It's becoming more and more apparent that the New Republic "tolerance" of the Resistance was more than that (at least, unofficially), so I'm wondering how the NRDF handled pilots who joined up. Are they considered deserters? Do they simply resign their posts? Is it quietly handled so that nothing appears amiss?

Ditto the PSF's. The visual guides say that NRDF and PSF pilots make up the majority of the Resistance's starfighter corps. I assume that member worlds of the New Republic have to handle things similar to the NRDF.

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

JediKnight75 and Chris0013 like this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    It would be cool if there was a new series about the Resistance that could answer these questions.....Oh....wait a minute...[face_thinking] .

I get Resistance is kind of marketed to kids to sell the toys...but enough adults watch and I think we have these more adult questions we want answered.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  21. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That's an interesting question and I hope we receive an answer. My guess is that the NR let's them leave. If their term is up, they probably resign and then join with Leia. If there service isn't over, they're probably officially considered deserters and condemned. However, secretly I'd imagine the NR supports them leaving. I assume the New Republic's policy is to support the Resistance while maintaining as much deniability as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if military leaders, even suggest joining the Resistance to certain soldiers.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe they are on 'shooting leave' while working with the Resistance?

Sly442 and TheRedBlade like this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In Kaz's case - well, last time the NR saw him he was damaged and holding off a FO ace. I imagined he is listed as MIA, presumed dead.

Heck, even if the NR does know, any sympathetic to the Resistance could still list him as missing in action for the sake plausible deniability.

24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think we could look at American pilots who left the service for the Flying Tigers during WWII: pilots were released from the service with not just a wink and a nod, but a pat on the back that pushed them out the door. I also wonder if the T-70s used by the Resistance were part of some kind of "Cash and Carry" program the NR set up, or if they all "fell off the back of the truck" when the fleet upgraded to T-85s.

I'm sure Resistance pilots could be easily reintegrated back into the Republic Navy if it remains the senior military command structure after all the dust clears. If the Resistance military becomes the core of whatever comes next, then I guess it's a moot point.

This was my read of that scene. Kaz was calling his father to tell him that reports of his death had been greatly exaggerated.

25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Thinking as someone who has been in the military....if Kaz did not report in and just went off to Castilon to be a spy he would be in deep poodoo. He has a responsibility after that to check in and confirm he completed the mission and let his chain of command know he is alive. Not doing that will make him a deserter.

There is an old intelligence term...Sheep Dip..."The practice within the intelligence community of assigning to agents non-intelligence or military jobs in order to disguise their source agency."

Maybe the NR does something like that....they Nerf Dip people who go over to the Resistance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    TheRedBlade and MercenaryAce like this.