main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the most interesting fact is they're finally taking a stance on the "Did the NR support the Resistance or not?"

Because a lot of people assumed the Resistance was purely Leia's thing.

While Hux (admittedly not the most reliable source) stated that the reason they were destroying Hosnian Prime was because of the New Republic's funding of the LOATHSOME RESISTANCE.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I don't think they have made clear one way or the other that the NR does support the Resistance. We get conflicting information in the 1st episode. Kaz and his wingmen are delivering intelligence from NRI to the Resistance. But Kaz's senator dad calls the Resistance Radicals. So are their some under the table dealings between NRI and NRDF and the Resistance? Looks like. Is there outright support?? Inquiring minds want to know.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I get the impression this is akin to the Soviet Afghanistan resistance.

SOME Senators support the Resistance while the New Republic allows them arms as well as military personnel but not as much as they should.

4. Sly442

Sly442 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2018
    I like to imagine New Republic Command is also supporting the Resistance behind the backs of the Senate somewhat.

Senator Wan and TheRedBlade like this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I saw someone make a great comparison of this being essentially like the Flying Tigers in WWII.

Outsourced likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It also shows the First Order was totally justified in defending their freedom from state sponsored terrorism.

:)

7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Ha
    We really need a "typical Chuck" meme now

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The connection between the Resistance and the New Republic has been well documented since the very beginning. The original visual guide for TFA notes that the Resistance operates with the "begrudging acknowledgement" of the Senate. The cross sections for TFA noted that Resistance X-wings were "donated by local security forces or lent by senators who share General Leia Organa's fears about the First Order." Per TLJ cross sections, member worlds like Mon Cala and Virgillia openly supported the Resistance and championed it's cause in the Senate.

We now have instances of New Republic Command offering the Resistance intel.

Now, that doesn't mean that everyone in the New Republic government was behind the Resistance. We've seen you have senators that are pro-Resistance, anti-Resistance, or, as noted in the TFA visual dictionary, ones who simply dismissed it and focused on maintaining a peaceful status quo.

--Adm. Nick

9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    But what about people?? Poe and Kaz were NRDF.....is the NR just saying "go and do whatever you feel like and we will ignore that you are officers of the NRDF who have an obligation to finish our your service with us."??

AusStig likes this.
  10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I can see a lot of NR military types supporting the Resistance, as a lot of them probably served with the Rebellion and disagree with letting an entity like the FO exist.

AusStig, Voltron64 and TheRedBlade like this.
  11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Again to call back to the flying tigers, I bet the NR military unofficially gives them the means. Like wink and nudge "ok you can be discharged or put on leave....oh that guy just happened to be put on leave while stationed on a world in which a resistance agent was, and a world who is giving out ships to the resistance, one of which he received? Well aint that a coinkydink? ;)"

AusStig, Voltron64 and TheRedBlade like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My general assumption until someone says otherwise that Poe and other Resistance fighters are either working for Republic Intelligence w/ the blessing of the New Republic as deniable assets.

(i.e. they're CIA soldiers working in Afghanistan against the commies)

Or they're former NR soldiers that did their tours and joined up.

Chris0013, vncredleader and Voltron64 like this.
  13. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    Or a mixture of both.

AusStig and Chris0013 like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Besides, resistance shows that the First Order was sponsering piracy - and since that was for the goal of terrorizing a population into accepting their rule, one could definitely say that they were sponsoring terrorism.

Clearly, the New Republic should blow up their planets.

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    And I am good with that....I just want the blurb in some book stating it.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Privateering is a perfectly legitimate tactic!

:)

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Weird, I don't remember them flying First Order colors.

18. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm sure there is a specific, though informal and largely undocumented, procedure to handle these kind of defections. From the little we've seen of Kaz, I'm inclined to believe that, rather than doing that, he did the stupidest possible thing and just walked off the job (though that call to his father was probably trying to get some kind of "reassignment" rolling).

Only if it's just a low-res version of whatever "typical Jello" meme we were using two years ago.

This is why we need some real clarity as to who was running the NRDF. I want it to be Wedge, and I suspect many others do as well, but we probably won't find out until IX.

19. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I have to say...I wasn’t excited about the Resistance show, but it has been AWESOME to finally see a concrete instance of New Republic military actively cooperating and helping the resistance. VERY cool to see. And something we would have loved to see in the actual trilogy!!!!!!!!

I would say the senate is split on the idea of the resistance, but certainly there are plenty of senators giving aid to Leia.

The NR military however seems to more openly support the resistance...this makes sense as I don’t see being powerless to act against the FO sitting well with the NR military types...thoughts?

Also someone mentioned minor border spats...let’s not forget the SURAZ ENGAGEMENT in which an NR pilot was killed, as well as first order pilots being killed by actively serving NR navy pilots??

Finally, was interested in watching resistance when one of the NR pilots said “we can’t touch him” referring to the ace. Did she mean can’t touch him as in he’s too good for us? Or as in, our orders are not to engage?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm confused by this.

It's not much of a Resistance if they're not blowing the hell out of First Order facilities and weaponry. With the Resistance, I expect battles, sabotage, Hogan's Heroes style commando missions, and doing everything in their power to weaken them.

Voltron64 likes this.
  21. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I’m talking about the New Republic military pilots, NOT the resistance. Specifically I am talking about the dogfight in beginning of movie.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We have no knowledge of any Republic pilots being involved in such activity.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Maybe you should get caught up on things.

You can't blow up First Order planets if there are no First Order Planets to blow up

[​IMG]

24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    edit: double post. my bad.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That was a joke about CIA denials.

MercenaryAce likes this.