main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Exegol to _____? The State of the Galaxy Discussion continued

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Apr 28, 2021.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You could actually stretch that year quite a bit. Look at 0 ABY, and how many stories currently live in that year - and there's still a gap of months between the "Rebel Jail" and the "Last Flight of the Harbinger" arcs that they could plug new stories in if they wanted to. Right now you can count the stories taking place between TLJ and TROS that feature the ST "Big Three" on one hand - Resistance Reborn, Allegiance, Spark of the Resistance, that Choose Your Destiny book with Poe and Finn, a couple of stories from the Adventures comic... I think that's it? (Might be forgetting one or two. Ah, well.) That leaves an enormous amount of time to play in. And it's an interesting time - the Resistance is growing even as Leia is weakening, Rey is becoming more powerful, Finn and Poe each have their things to deal with following the events of TLJ, Kylo is taking on the challenge of ruling the First Order. There's room for a lot of stories, and creative writers could absolutely do some fascinating things with it.

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Urgh....would be nice to have an official timeline for Star Wars Canon to know the time between dates.

Right now, I'm trying to make a Clone Wars one that fits the original cartoon that I still consider canon to some extent (take liberties on certain things) as well as the others while dumping some of the Legends dates.

The only official dates we have really is that the Citadel arc occurred 1 year and 9 months (21 months) into the war and that Senate Murders occurred 1 year and 4 months (16 months) into the war. And I ignore Galactic Atlas because it had Kamino occur in both 22 BBY and 21 BBY and Ryloth in 22 and 21 BBY. Plus I think S5 ended just over a year before ROTS according to a deleted tweet (Pablo Hidalgo's attitude towards the end of his tenure as a helpful insider really didn't help I guess).

Chrissonofpear2 and Golbolco like this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I like not having official dates, gives more wiggle room to maneuver

4. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Not for me. And it doesn't help that they are vague on the C.R.C. dating and what it means, not to mention the time of ESB being anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 3 months.

5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Why stop there? Why not stop at end of 5 or 4?

I don't like post NJO but I think it brought up interesting ideas and characters, it just didn't use them well.

Also Tolkein wrote out and published the history of his world up to 120 years AFTER the end of Lord of the Rings, detailing the lives, deaths and departures of the Fellowship.

I also dispute @The Positive Fan 's idea of the movies having a happy ending, since Rey walks off alone, with no friends, the FO are only seen to lose on a few backwater systems and we don't know if Finn is force sensitive. You are using a lot of head canon already.

If you don't want any more stories than don't buy them. Just ignore them, I do that with Korra past season 1.

6. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    That's an interpretation of TROS that's at odds, to put it mildly, with what the film is actually trying to convey. Rey is literally shown in an emotional group hug with her two closest friends thirty seconds earlier. (Not to mention BB-8 is standing right there with her in that final scene. He doesn't count?) We're shown victories against the FO at Bespin and the Forest Moon specifically to indicate that this same sort of thing was happening all across the galaxy. And sure, we don't know Finn is Force sensitive or that he becomes Rey's first apprentice. Both assumptions are derived from the Lego Holiday Special, though, and some Lego material is "canon adjacent" so if it's a headcanon, it's at least an "educated" one.

7. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Admittedly, it would've been nice to see victories over Naboo, Coruscant, Tatooine, Kamino, Geonosis, Kashyyyk, Utapau, Mygeeto, Cato Neimoidia, Felucia, Saleucami, Polis Massa, Mustafar and Yavin 4 as well. Extend the footage for an extra few minutes. We don't need to see people, we just need to hear shouts of freedom.

But we can imply from worlds like Endor, Jakku and Bespin the First Order is suffering an uprising. And its pretty clear without Hux and Pryde's deleted dialogue from Mustafar but during the Supreme Council meeting that the First Order isn't doing so well over the galaxy with the loss of Starkiller Base and the Supremacy.

Sometimes we don't need to show everything, we the viewer (and fan) can take those hints. After all, the Battle of Endor had more ships and fighting then what we saw. And the Battle of Exegol had 14,000 ships but we saw what...2,000+?

8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    It might have been trying but it didn't work. Yes she is, and then she is shown walking off alone into the sunset, like a drifter in the old westerns. Also BB doesn't count if you want Jedi.

We see some ships blow up, if aftermath was willing to retcon RotJ (Coruscant), they could recontext these to be the ONLY victories against the FO.

So you say you don't want any post tRoS content, yet you base a lot of headcanon on the only post tRoS content (which no I don't think it canon or even in any way reflective of it).

That's the thing with headcanon you can make anything based off anything. I could say that the Sith cult survived, since they are on the boards of Kuat, while you could say they all died because we saw some people in hoods get crushed.

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Well, I have often felt like I saw a completely different version of the ST than other people did... now I know I did [face_laugh]

I am curious about this "Sith cultists on the boards of Kuat" business... did I miss something? Is that a Legends thing?

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Same here ;)

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yes you did, everyone did.

Nope that is in the visual dictionary. It was how they got the ship designs.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I know I saw the version of A New Hope that is very boring and doesn't interest me :p

Well we know that they were on that board for quite a while if the Vader comic is any indicator.

13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Are you talking about TFA or ANH?
    Yes the new comic raises questions, but I mean they are Palpatines Cult, so it makes sense he would put them in ket places.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The original 1977 A New Hope....It's my least favorite Star Wars and I find it kinda boring these days in all honesty and a big of a slog.

What I wanna know is how far that cult goes back to...For we know Plagueis could have set them up, heck Plagueis might set up Exegol's laboratory.

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I find Empire a boring slog. Worst movie of the original 6. ANH is my fav.

We don't have any info as of yet.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Hey i like when people defy expectation and don't always have Empire as their top.

Yep...Tis true.

17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I did miss that. Good to know, I will update my post-TROS headcanon accordingly. It will give Rey something to do now that she has no friends and can't train Finn [face_laugh]

In all seriousness that does have some interesting implications for the post-TROS universe. Clearly, there's a bit more to the Sith Eternal than what we see on Exegol.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Well she wanders on, she could wander into them.

Well yes and also maybe no, we don't know what members of the Cult were on Exegol, some people say it was the entire cult others say it was not.

They could be the basis of a new villain.

19. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I'd appreciate further official Clone Wars dates too, myself (including where the battle of Foerost/Bulwark Fleet campaign, could fit in, crucially - one would also need to move Dark Rendezvous down, a bit, etc, etc)

Personally, the idea of putting EVERYTHING pre Jabiim into ONE month of stories, due to the retcon in the novel Clone Wars: Wild Space - is generally too much even for me to stomach, and I rather prefer the idea of much of those events instead covering four, even six months, where one can get away with it.

The Galactic Atlas is fairly useless for a lot of specific dates too - there's no way Life Debt starts in 5 ABY, for example. At least with the two Geonosis dates, we do have TWO distinct battles it can refer to, though.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Second Battle of Genosis was, funnily, a retcon created to cover an error.

As to Jabiim, for example, if you assume it started as a civil pre-Geonosis and Alpha heads there alone without Anakin and Obi-Wan, and then they join Alpha later for the week plus we see on-screen, then it fits perfectly.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    If only Pablo Hidalgo gave us more than a hint of his calendar.

22. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I do wonder if Alphabet Squadrons NSS survived beyond the Battle of Exegol of if it got absorbed by the Final Order and is gone now...

NSS = Neo-Sith-Society Hera mentioned in the latest Alphabet Squadron book as one of thousands of cults and new religions springing up post Endor (probably seeded by the Acolyth's From Beyond and that one goon of Palpatine that was shelling out Sith trinkets and artifacts across the galactic youth for sport from the Aftermath Books!

Also, the First Order was basically ISIS. A terrorist state built more from intimidation and piracy of what they needed than actual government. A roaming fleet hellbent of destroying and conquering. The ST thus is the NR facing terrorism on a grand new scale, which leads to anarchy and a war that the Final Order intended to ursurp as new power of order. That failed though. The Centrists originally were a political power that seceeded but got sucked up into the terrorist organisation before it went viral.

Now post-terrorism as a post Exegol / post ST era might be interesting. Something our own future has yet to achieve and thus give SW its next trilogies footing.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If you wanna use a fictional parallel the first order is COBRA!!! from Gi Joe :p

24. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I hereby out myself as not knowing GI Joe... wasn't that just an action figure line of the 80s?

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And a TV Series in the 80's ...with various reboots