main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Idea to Story (Writing Workshop) Discussion Up 02/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ZaraValinor, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I?ve recently undertaken (once again) to write my own Original Fiction. This time, truly hoping for success, I?ve done a lot of research on the writing method and thought that I might share with you what I?ve learned. It will be a workshop, with exercises both inside this thread and then challenges to post on the individual saga threads.

Subjects I plan on touching on:

Characters
    Character Sheets
    Protagonist
    Antagonist
    Significant Characters
    Interesting and believable characters

Plot
    Beginnings
    Middle

Scene and Sequel
    Finale

If you are interested, please sign up in this thread. I plan on having the first exercise on October 13th. I would suggest participating through the whole, but it isn?t necessary and will welcome any at any time.

What I?m really hoping is to have writers on this site, plan, plot, and produce a story to release on the board at the end of the workshop. If this is something you?re interested in doing please indicate when you sign up.

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm in.:D
    Not sure if I can manage to get a story out of this, though. I completely suck at planning stories before writing. Will give it a shot, anyway.

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm in as well. My writing very much goes along the line of 'vague idea - let's start writing'. The start is okay most of the time, but the problem is I can't seem to manage a finish. So maybe this will help.

Do you pm when things start or do we check ourselves?

4. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    Count me in!

I'm not sure about the story at the end either, though. I have NaNo and DRL, so don't count on me for that part.

I have a hard time finishing stories as well, and this might be just what I need to be able to do so.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm in...between all the Red Sox games.

6. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    I'd like to give this a shot, I'm not much of writer.

But hey its something do for fun.:)

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Oooh, this is exactly the kind of workshop my original universe needs right now. :D Count me in.

8. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Yay, another workshop! And I have just the bunny to sacrifice for this one... [face_devil]

Sign me up, please! :D

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
  10. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm gonna miss the next few days, but I'd like to be in!

11. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm in. I just recently started on an Original Fiction and this would really help me along, I think.
    So yay! :)

12. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Don't think this will hurt anything! :D

No guarntees or anything, but I'll do my best!

--later--

6669 [face_devil]

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am in, sounds nice:)

14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'll give it a try. It sounds like something I've been looking for.

15. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I'd like to try.

Usually it's the 'plan' part of the thing that troubles me. :p

16. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    I'm in too.
    Hee hee, this sounds really fun.

17. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm willing to give it a try.

I'd like to produce a story to post but I have never worked from an outline before. To be honest, I don't know how to because I don't know where the story is going until I get there. I jot down notes along the way that I use but otherwise it's write as I go.

Edit: I had originally wanted to participate, but life in general just isn't cooperating at this time. :( Perhaps I'll be able to revisit this at a later date.

18. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Definitely sounds interesting. Planning is always something I struggle with in my own writing.

Count me in for this workshop.

19. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Participant List

MsLanna
    Seremela
    C1-J2
    DarthIshtar
    Anime_Jedi
    Commander-DWH
    Ubersue
    DaenaBenjen42
    The_Face
    Ceillean
    Darth_Leia_6669
    earlybird-obi-wan
    BigE
    mujapple-juicey
    bek
    Jinngerbread
    Jedi_Liz
    Thorn058

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I'd be interested, but I don't know if I could actually have something to post at the end. I'd probably use what I learned to help me plan stories I am currently planning and trying to write.

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Wow! We got quite a group here. That's fantastic.

Okay, here's the drill. I'm by no means an expert. I, like most of you, want to learn as much about this craft as I possibly can. I've got a few things outlined for exercises and challenges, but if any of you have an idea for either an exercise or challenge don't be afraid to speak up (or in this case is it write out). I believe the best way to learn is through sharing each others knowledge, which is pretty much why I started this.

We?re writers! Whether we write for profession or for recreation it should be fun!

[b]First Exercise[/b]

Part of the fun of writing is going to a different place, being different people, and having adventures that we might not have otherwise.

Characters are the soul of the story, it?s from them that we get the emotion. If the characters are the spirit, plot is the body (later exercises will cover this). They go hand and hand and one cannot be forsaken for the other.

In my research the first thing a writer will do is to take their characters and flesh them out. The first step is character sheets. Below there is one of the most extensive character sheets I?ve found. Obviously, some of the questions/subjects here may not fit into your story and certainly you do not have to answer/fill-in every one. But I think the more information you can get on your character the better.

For the first exercise, take the character sheet below or one of your own (the one provided is just a jumping off point ) and adapt it to two or three characters (they can be from Star Wars or another genre since we now have the Non-SW boards). The stipulations are one must be a protagonist, one must be an antagonist, and one must be an original character. Hopefully, you?ll have the time to do all three so that you can get a feel for familiar characters and ones that you perhaps don?t know as well. I would suggest not using the Skywalker/Solo clan more than once.

With the character sheets, please find a picture to go with each character (this I found to be another tool authors use). We may be using these characters in future exercises.
    Post these on this thread by Saturday, October 17, 2008. (Please let me know if this is too soon. I know quite a few of you are preparing for NaNo.)

[hr]

[b]Basic Attributes[/b]

* Given Name:

* Nickname(s):

* Appearance:
    - height
    - weight
    - hair color/style
    - eye color
    - makeup
    - clothing style
    * Race/ethnicity:

* Physical abilities/limitations:

[b]Socioeconomic class/standing:[/b]

* Religion:

* Place of birth:

* Place and time of story:

* Parents' profiles
    - race/ethnicity:
    - socioeconomic level:
    - religion:
    - habits:
    - quality of relationship with child(ren):
    - living/deceased:

* Brothers/sisters/significant-other relatives (profile each)
    - race/ethnicity:
    - socioeconomic level:
    - religion:
    - habits:
    - quality of relationship:
    - living/deceased:

* Family structure/life:

[b]Brief Life Story[/b]

It is very important to write a biography for your character. The more detail you create, the deeper you can make your character, and this rich history will be such a rich source of information that it will change and evolve your story accordingly.

Make sure to keep in mind:
    - How did your character get here from there?
    - What was their life like before the story began?
    - What was growing up like for them?
    - Did they have a good or bad childhood?
    - What struggles have that had, or hardships they have overcome?
    - Has their life worked out like they expected?
    - Has their life been difficult or easy until now?
    - Were they forced into their current path, or are they here by choice?
    - Do they have regrets?
    - What special circumstances have made them into who they are today?
    - Did anything happen in their past that they cannot forget or live down, or that has deeply changed them or scarred them in some way?

[b]Psychology[/b]

* Outer Goal (physical):

22. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm new to this kind o thing (and very daunted by the character sheet!!!) So, what's the way something like this goes? Do we post the sheets here to show each other and discuss them?

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

;)

I think that's exactly what we'll be doing. I got my first character sheet finished but I still have to look for a pic.

Oh and I have a question: I mainly write with OC's. Can the antagonist be an OC as well? I have him all plotted out already.

24. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Sure thing on the OCs. I think the more you can create your own characters, the better. But there are some who are in the beginning stages who I think would benefit from doing an already established character.

Yes, post all characters sheets here, we will be using them later.

25. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Can we use OC's we've already made?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.