main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Idea to Story (Writing Workshop) Discussion Up 02/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ZaraValinor, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    If you'd like. But hopefully not one you've used a lot.

2. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Well I have a few that were all in the same fic, only used once.

I have two more that were used twice in a different fic.

I also have a new OC thats WIP so I'm not sure about using him.

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    *raises hand* The first exercise and I'm already stuck!!! [face_worried]

I'm stuck because it needs an OC and an antagonist. I find that really hard to do without already a plot in my head - and right now I simply can't think of one....

So is this exercise meant to describe characters for the story that will hopefully emerge from this workshop (in which case I really need to come up with some basic idea for it)? Or is it purely a try out to learn using the sheet, and I can make characters up that I might never use in a story, just to feel how this work?

4. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002

Any of those would work.

If it helps the antagonist can be from cannon. The OC can be a past OC (preferably one you haven't used a lot) or one you've had in a holding pattern.

Yes, really it is just to get used to the sheet, but we will be using characters from the sheets in the first challenge.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Three characters are:
    (all drawings, paintings are by me)

Rudy Cadil an OC

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/rudy.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Rudy Cadil
    * Nickname(s): Red

* Appearance: a young adult
    - gender male human
    - age 21
    - height 1.77
    - weight 67
    - hair color/style short red
    - eye color brown
    - makeup none
    - clothing style Jedi Knight
    * Race/ethnicity: human fair skin

* Physical abilities/limitations:
    not that strong in the Force and studying to become a language-teacher

Socioeconomic class/standing:
    * Place of birth: Anaxes
    * Place and time of story: before and after ROTS

Brief Life Story
    Rudy was admitted to the Jeditemple as a baby. But being not that strong in the fighting abilities he was apprenticed to a master who saw in him a teacher of languages in the making. He still has that master during the story. He had once during a trainingtrip an accident and can be afraid of water. It changed him and he is now even more afraid of hospitals and the like. He met and made new friends on that trip and one antagonist; Anakin Skywalker.

Psychology
    * Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): kind and forgiving
    * Life, career, or personal goals outside of the realm of the story: Jedipadawan.
    * Defining characteristic: kind and helpful
    * Hopes/desires: during the story to stay alive and get a new life
    * Fears/phobias: Water, doctors
    * Introvert or extrovert?: introvert
    * More thinking or feeling?: thinking
    * Tends to be self centered? Selfish? Selfless?: selfless
    * Favorite and hated foods/drinks: Mujaa is favorite and meat is hated.
    * Education or important learning experiences: can learn languages very fast.
    * Most hated activities: lightsaber-practice
    * Most enjoyed activities: reading

Philosophy & Morality
    He is a Jedi
    * Catchphrase that defines their worldview? any language can do.

Life & Lifestyle
    * Closest friend(s): Howard Srym, Jedi Padawan
    * Job/career/occupation: Jedi teacher of languages
    - Attitude towards job: loves it

Kaagi Adin

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/kaagiface.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Kaagi Adin
    * Nickname(s): hooligan Jedi
    * Appearance:
    - gender; male
    - age; 108
    - height; 1.89
    - weight; 77
    - hair color/style; long ravenblack
    - eye color; silvergrey
    - makeup; fair complexion
    - clothing style; Jedi, healer?s robes
    * Race/ethnicity: Dunai elder ( a very long lived race of humanoids fully human in appearance and aging slow after reaching adulthood at 26 years of age, appearing the same for over 700 years after that and usually dying more than 900 years old)

* Physical abilities/limitations: is a Jedi healer, surgeon and therapist. Strong in the living Force.

* Place of birth: Moniron
    * Place and time of story: before ROTS during and after ROTS
    * Parents' profiles
    - race/ethnicity: Dunai elder
    - socioeconomic level: healers
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): loving parents
    - living/deceased: deceased (murdered)

* significant-other relatives (profile each)
    Ghari Adin
    - race/ethnicity: Dunai elder
    - socioeconomic level: healer
    - quality of relationship: an uncle and very old and a bachelor.
    - living/deceased: living and almost 800 years old

* Family structure/life: healer in the Jeditemple and has had no Padawans.

Brief Life Story
    Kaagi Adin was found as a 2 year old on his homeplanet when he fled bandits who murdered his parents. He was taken to the Jeditemple by a healer Padawn Aaqu Maerhin and his Master Gli-Ra-Ond a Corellian. Was apprenticed to that master and became a healer and after meeting a young initiate Qui-Gon Jinn he became a therapist too. Is called hooligan Jedi because he is always dirty wiping hiis greasy hands on whatever he is wearing. Has met and treated Obi-Wan numerous times and will escape the Jeditemple before the purge ending up on his homeplanet. There he will mary and get a son Marhin and

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Since I can't draw worth crap, I'll post pictures of actors/models who I think would fit the characters quite well.
    These three characters are all OC's I've created for a story called "An Unlocked Soul". The title sucks, I know but when I started the story, I had something different planned. A whole lot different. :p The plot bunnies wouldn't stop, though.

The OC

[image=http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/sissygirl_06/native%20american/indianwomen.jpg]

Isn't she beautiful? I'm so jealous now. :eek:
    Kyp's so lucky. [face_laugh]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Eliziya Thompson

* Nickname(s): Liz

* Appearance: human
    - height: 1,70m
    - weight: normal? Not too much and not too skinny either
    - hair color/style: dark, shoulder length, thick
    - eye color: dark brown
    - makeup: nope.
    - clothing style: comfortable
    * Race/ethnicity: exotic

* Place of birth: Coruscant

* Place and time of story: 13 ABY

Brief Life Story
    Liz grew up in a cold family. Both her parents (Hera and unnamed father) would work into the night, not nearly spending enough time with their children. Their oldest child was Kyrian, their youngest Giulian. Giulian died at the age of 16 ? having fallen into the wrong kind of crowd (drugs, fights, armed robbery, alcohol), Liz had confronted him, asking him to come back to the family. Refusing and turning his back on her, she followed him one night. Giulian got angry and wanting to be a bigger man in front of his friends, he began to fight his sister, pulling out a knife to threaten her. At the time, Giulian was high on drugs ? Liz never found out if he hurt her deliberately. She has a scar running from her ribs down to her stomach where the knife had slashed at her skin. Liz didn?t want to fight back but it was a close call. In the end she did fight back and the knife got lodged into Giulian?s chest. An accident as it was, having been fighting each other on the ground, Liz would never forgive herself.
    Kyrian changed after the incident as well. He began a new friendship with a Dark Side-y kind of character. The bad guy so to speak.
    Hera and Liz?s father disown Liz, saying she?s a killer. What Liz never realized was the fact that she had been born a Force sensitive. Her mother being deathly afraid of Jedi, finds a willing Force user to eradicate Liz?s sense of the Force. The Dark Side guy (Kyrian?s later friend) blocks the Force in Liz?s mind when she is just a little girl. She finds out about this after meeting Kyp.
    Lassiter (Dark Side guy) wants Liz for his own experiments and now he?s hunting her.

Psychology

* Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): Being at peace and comfortable with her new self

* Life, career, or personal goals outside of the realm of the story: she is bent on helping children in need because of her brother. After training as a social worker, she?ll open up an orphanage for children having lost everything during the Vong war (she doesn?t know this yet, though)

* Defining characteristic: stubborn yet funny

* Hopes/desires: Peace for herself and her friends

* Fears/phobias: Being alone, dying alone

* Introvert or extrovert?: Extrovert

* More thinking or feeling?: She?s more of a feeling person, wanting to help where ever she can.

* Tends to be self centered? Selfish? Selfless?: Selfless. She would think first of others, than of herself. She isn?t self centered at all but healthily selfish.

* Favorite and hated foods/drinks: Doesn?t like vegetables too much. Adores fizzing drinks and hot chocolate

* Most hated activities: working out in a gym

* Most enjoyed activities: reading and painting

* Deepest secret or wildest fantasy: having ?fun? in hyperspace. LOL

* Sense (or lack!) of humor: what makes your character laugh? She laughs about herself, mostly. She does silly things to annoy her friends; she loves making people laugh herself. She likes playing tricks on people. And she loves

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. I'll have to drop out because I can't make the time committment involved.

I love the idea, Zara.

8. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    Sorry brodiew! [:D] Best of luck with DRL!

Zara, would it be all right if I kill two birds with one stone for this particular lesson, and use it to flesh out my NaNoWriMo characters?

9. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Perfectly alright, C1-J2.

Sorry to see you go Brodiew, but I understand.

10. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Okay! My original story was only going to have one character, so I had to go catch another bunny. I'm being a big cheater here and only writing two characters because both my protagonist and antagonist are OCs! :) To save everybody the boredom I took out the questions that don't apply.

And of course after taking forever to find pictures that look like my characters, I can't post them up properly. :oops: I probably need legal permission or something.

(edit) Here we go! Thanks for the PM tip, Ceillean!

Protagonist:

[image=http://www.filmzambia.com/africanvoice/images/AlisamPiriToo.jpg]
    (this picture was the best I could find, so try to picture him a little younger...)
    Basic Attributes

* Given Name: not mentioned

* Appearance:
    - gender male
    - age 3
    - height - pretty short
    - weight - about average for a three-year-old
    - hair color/style - black, short
    - eye color - dark brown
    - makeup - uhh...
    - clothing style - his fancy clothes, cause it's a special day
    * Race/ethnicity: human

* Physical abilities/limitations: very strong in the Force, but he's only 3.

Socioeconomic class/standing: middle class

* Religion: none

* Place of birth: unnamed

* Place and time of story: Coruscant, during the Saga

* Family structure/life: Lives with Mommy and Daddy

Brief Life Story

He is very strong in the Force on his father's side. Although his father isn't a Jedi, his uncle is, and no ordinary one at that (so his mother says). He has just spent a week travelling with his mom to Coruscant in order to begin training at the Jedi Temple. He is very excited about it. Well, was.

Psychology

* Outer Goal (physical): To run fast enough that Mommy can't catch him.

* Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): To not have to go inside that big, scary building.

* Defining characteristic: Hard to say, cause he's only three.

* Hopes/desires: To meet his Jedi uncle, but also to not have to leave Mommy.

* Fears/phobias: Big, scary building.

* Dirty Secrets: Nothing Mommy doesn't know about.

* Introvert or extrovert?: Introvert.

* More thinking or feeling?: Feeling.

* Tends to be self centered? Selfish? Selfless?: Kind of in the middle... he has a very empathetic personality, but he is still a very small kid.

* Favorite and hated foods/drinks: Favourite: animal crackers. Hated: Yucky guju fruit flavoured cough syrup that doesn't taste like guju fruit at all.

* Education or important learning experiences: School is about to start...

* Most hated activities: Sonic shower time.

* Most enjoyed activities: Drawing.

* Deepest secret or wildest fantasy: A city made of candy.

* Sense (or lack!) of humor: what makes your character laugh? Mommy and Daddy saying bad words.

* Who is your character's hero, or who do they admire or emulate? Mommy, Daddy, and his uncle the Jedi.

Philosophy & Morality

* Catchphrase that defines their worldview? - "You can play with your animals when you're finished brushing your teeth." Maybe it's not his worldview, but it is what he has to live by.

Life & Lifestyle

* Favorite music or group/favorite TV shows or films: That one on the ship with the two silly men on it.

* Hobbies: Drawing, sing-alongs, spinning around really fast.

Food for Thought

* How would your character react to:

- Inheriting $1 million: "Can I buy candy, Mommy?"
    - The death of a loved one: confusion and utter devastation
    - A natural disaster: hurricane/earthquake, etc.: confusion
    - An interracial relationship: "Mommy, why is that Twi'lek man biting that human lady's face?"

Antagonist:

[image=http://www.claudia-wambululu.ch/Portals/26/claudia_overme.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: not mentioned

* Nickname(s): Mommy

* Appearance:
    - gender - female
    - age - 30ish
    - height - 5'2"
    - weight - about 120lbs
    - hair color/style - black, long, braided
    - eye color - dark brown
    - makeup - conservative
    - clothing style - slightly dressy, but simple: white blouse, flat shoes, and tan trousers.

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

That three-year old is a hoot!

Did you make up the music bands with your second OC? Those names are great!
    And she seems like an interesting OC, as well.

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Here are mine.

Protagonist

[image=http://www.amygumenick.com/images/amy_respagephoto.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Lu?ara Wraith

* Nickname(s): Ara or Lulu (Big brother only)

* Appearance:
    - height: 5'4"
    - weight: 120
    - hair color/style: Golden, long and wavy
    - eye color: Green
    - makeup: None
    - clothing style: Unisuit

* Race/ethnicity:Human

* Physical abilities/limitations: Is a strong Force-sensitive who has trained both physically and mentally. Is restrained by a Force-collar.

* Place of birth: Jedi Temple Ossus

* Place and time of story: Yavin IV, Yuuzhan Vong Prison

* Mother - Kyelle Skywalker Wraith
    - race/ethnicity: Human
    - religion: Jedi
    - habits: Strict adherence to the Jedi Code. But loving
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): Good to Bad
    - living/deceased: Living

* Father - Ragorio Wraith
    - religion: None
    - habits: drifter, loving
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): Good when he?s there

* Half-brother - Dent Wraith
    - religion: None
    - habits: drifter, protective, know-it-all
    - quality of relationship: Good

* Family structure/life: Lu?ara is a ten years younger then Dent and therefore the baby.

Brief Life Story

Born to a Jedi and a mercenary, Lu?ara has split her time between training and training. And as you guessed, she is of the Skywalker line. Her parents split though were never formally divorced when she was ten. She has not joined the Jedi nor does she work with the mercenaries, but has somehow been able to keep a precarious balance, until recently. Her relationship with both her parents is lovingly strained. Though neither of them have come out and said it, she knows they are waiting to choose her life path.

When she was fifteen she saw what the inaction of the Jedi could do to a world, when the Council refused to help her mother get off of Ionla. Since then her judgement concerning the Jedi Code and the Force has been negative.

Psychology

* Outer Goal (physical): Assist her parents in their respective work.

* Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): Find some sort of balance in her life.

* Life, career, or personal goals outside of the realm of the story: No career but she truly does want to help people.

* Defining characteristic: Strong

* Hopes/desires: She longs fro her family to be together in her deepest heart.

* Fears/phobias: She is afraid of abandonment and because of this often keeps herself closed off.

* Introvert or extrovert?: Introvert

* More thinking or feeling?: Feeling

* What do you see is the biggest contradiction(s) your character lives out?: Her mixed life of Jedi and mercenary

* Tends to be self centered? Selfish? Selfless?: Selfish

* Favorite and hated foods/drinks: Corellian ale if she can get her hands on it. Hates fish.

* Sense (or lack!) of humor: what makes your character laugh? She?s bitter and her laugh only comes out in irony.

* Who is your character's hero, or who do they admire or emulate?: She really doesn?t like heros, she?s got a jaundiced view of them, but she admires her older brother.

Philosophy & Morality

* Attitudes toward:
    - self - good
    - others - wary
    - friendship - loyalty
    - love - Stay together
    - family - lets you down
    - marriage - wants to believe in it

* Catchphrase that defines their worldview? ?Get in, get the job done, get out.?

Life & Lifestyle

* Closest friend(s): Saleen

* Job/career/occupation: Jedi/mercenary
    - Attitude towards job: resigned

* Favorite music or group/favorite TV shows or films: Likes Jizz Wailing

* Hobbies: Polishing her dad?s weaponry.

Food for Thought

* How would your character react to:

- Inheriting $1 million: She?d be overwhelmed, moneys not something she knows how to deal with.

13. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    These are the character sheets for an original novel I have been workig on off and on for awhile. I thought I would use it for the workshop to see if I can improve the story or the characters. I will post them as Protagonist, Antagonist and then the other main character. There are several more supporting characters but thier backstory and relevance is questionable and I deal with it throughout the story. For those of you who may not agree with the subject matter, sorry it is just an idea I have kicked around but it is my idea and I don't force my views on others. so here he go,,,

edit: I founs some pics that give a basic idea again the physical attributes might not match uch as hieght and eye color but it gives you an idea
    Protagonist

[image=http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83/thorn058/Josua.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Josua

* Nickname(s):The balance, Little Shepard, Heaven Born

* Appearance:
    - gender Male
    - age NA
    - height 6?4?
    - weight 200
    - hair color/style Dark brown almost black wavy
    - eye color Deep Blue
    - makeup
    - clothing style Black Slacks, Black Shoes, Black long sleeve shirt, Black overcoat
    * Race/ethnicity: Angel

* Physical abilities/limitations: Not known

* Religion: Angel of heaven

* Place of birth: Heaven

* Place and time of story: Earth near future

* Parents' profiles
    - race/ethnicity: Angel
    - socioeconomic level: minor choir
    - religion: Heaven
    - habits: God
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): Loves all his children

* Brothers/sisters/significant-other relatives (profile each) too many to name
    - race/ethnicity: Angels
    - socioeconomic level: Above all that
    - religion: Heaven
    - habits: many and varied
    - quality of relationship: as with all brotherhoods some good and some bad
    - living/deceased: many living some deceased

* Family structure/life: Loving father, solid family with its share of problems

Brief Life Story : I would do a brief life story but since the WIP covers a great deal about how our Character gets from there to here I will refrain needless to say I do cover it in the first few chapters

Psychology

* Outer Goal (physical): Maintain the balance

* Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): One day return home to a simpler time

* Superobjective: Keep the balance between the army of Heaven, the Fallen and the Humans of earth

* Life, career, or personal goals outside of the realm of the story: being a simple sheppard

* Defining characteristic: The Thorn, the long black sword that he carries. His deep blue eyes

* Hopes/desires: To return to the Kingdom of heaven and live out his life tending his flock

* Fears/phobias: Fears he is not good enough to do the job

* Dirty Secrets: loves NY city hot dogs

* Who is your character's hero, or who do they admire or emulate? Archangel Micheal

Philosophy & Morality

* Attitudes toward:
    - self hard on himself
    - others tolerant
    - friendship few friendships and those are solid ones
    - sex will be explained later
    - love again see above
    - family
    - marriage
    - country
    - the world
    - religion

* Political philosophy: None
    - conservative/traditional/ liberal/radical:
    - public causes supported/protested: None
    - politically active/apathetic: NO

* Superstitions?:

* Catchphrase that defines their worldview? (examples: "What goes around comes around." "Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse." etc.): I go where God sends me

Life & Lifestyle

* Closest friend(s): Human: Father DelaSantos Angel: Gideon

* Job/career/occupation: He is the balance between evil and good
    - Attitude towards job: He is not worthy

* Noted accomplishments:
    - Famous/infamous?

* Clubs/organizations belonged to:

* Favorite music or group/favorite TV shows or films: Star Wars

* Hobbies: none

Antagonist

[image=http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83/thorn058/tombraider3.jpg]

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Nathanial

* Nickname(s): Nathani

14. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan:

I like your take on the Jedi healing profession as having a counselling aspect to it too. And I love the paintings!

Ceillean:

Deepest secret or wildest fantasy: having ?fun? in hyperspace. LOL
    Hahaha! I like this character already...

Hobbies: reading Jedi romance novels
    Is Kyp in any of them? :p

That three-year old is a hoot!
    Thanks!

Did you make up the music bands with your second OC? Those names are great!
    And she seems like an interesting OC, as well.

Thank you! Yeah, I made them up, except for Diva Muffin, which is actually the legal name of one of Frank Zappa's kids.

ZaraValinor:

Your antagonist sounds pretty cool... I'm looking forward to reading it!

Thorn058:

Intriguing...

This is going to be fun! I can't wait to read everybody's stuff...

15. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Wow, we are getting some great entires here.

This is just a quick reminder to get your character sheets posted by tomorrow. Sunday, I'll be putting up a challenge and discussion topic up.

16. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_blush] Sorry for being so late. This took even more time then I had already anticipated *wipes brow*

And I have never tried to upload pictures here, so I've let that part slide.

PROTAGONIST:
    That's one well-known character around here, but I wanted to start with him anyway to get the hang of these sheets :)

Basic Attributes
    * Given Name: Qui-Gon Jinn

* Nickname(s): Jinn, Master I guess (by Obi-Wan) :D

* Appearance:
    - height: ah, tall! 6 ft 4 (1.93 cm) but he looks even taller due to his bearing
    - weight: Eeehm? since he doesn?t have an ounce of fat, but a lot of muscles I?d say around 200 lbs????
    - hair color/style: long brown hair with strands of grey, carried in a half pony tail that keeps it out of his eyes
    - eye color: a deep blue
    - makeup (face?): a handsome, somewhat regal face with a neat short beard and mustache that leave his cheeks bare, high forehead, laugh wrinkles in the corner of his eyes, most prominent feature a big nose that has obviously been broken at least once
    - clothing style: the quintessential Jedi, cream-colored tunic, obi and sash; brown utility belt, brown pants and high boots, dark brown robe
    * Race/ethnicity: human
    * Physical abilities/limitations: Strong in the Force, especially the Living Force and considered one of the best lightsaber fighters of the Jedi.

* Religion: Qui-Gon Jinn is strongly guided by the Living Force and does what he feels the Living Force tells him to do. Other than that he?s quite liberal about what beings believe.

* Place of birth: Malawek, a small planet close to the outer rim, with a rural society. One of its main features is the River of Light, an impressive tributary.

* Place and time of story: When Qui-Gon Jinn has been a Jedi master for many years and he has Obi-Wan as his senior apprentice. Officially it?s a time of peace in the Republic, but upheavals are happening everywhere, not only along the outer rim.

* Parents' profiles
    - race/ethnicity: human, white, of the tall race of Malawek
    - socioeconomic level: farmers
    - religion: the Malawek believe in gods and goddesses of the earth and sky
    - habits: not much else is known about them
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): unknown
    - living/deceased: unknown, although Qui-Gon did try to find out once, when he was still a young knight

* Brothers/sisters/significant-other relatives (profile each)

1. his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    - race/ethnicity: human, white
    - socioeconomic level: senior Jedi apprentice
    - religion: follower of the Force, especially the Unifying Force
    - habits: he does like to make fun of his master now and then, but overall takes his position as a Jedi apprentice very seriously (and also the words of the Jedi Council)
    - quality of relationship: master and apprentice, but its an easy relationship; they trust each other and enjoy each other?s company (most of the time)
    - living/deceased: alive

2. Jedi master Tahl
    - socioeconomic level: Jedi master
    - religion: follower of the Force
    - habits: a strong woman, feisty, doesn?t let anyone tell her what to do
    - quality of relationship: she and Qui-Gon knew each other since the crèche and were best friends; later on this friendship changed into a deep love between them, despite the fact that relationships are frowned upon by the Jedi
    - living/deceased: she died on a mission in Qui-Gon?s arms, who was too late to save her

3. Jedi master Dooku
    - socioeconomic level: Jedi master
    - religion: follower of the Force
    - habits: regal, stubborn and too much aware of his own good points; Dooku is seldom tolerant of what he perceives to be flaws in others, but he is also very charming and very good at what he does ? he seldom has a mission go wrong
    - quality of relationship: he was Qui-Gon?s master and, being one of the best swordsmen of the order, was especially impressed with Qui-

17. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    It was very interesting to read all the sheets and also very inspirational for my own attempt.

I must say I'm in awe with all the characters everybody came up with!!! And the promise of the kind of stories that already lurk behind what's in the sheets. I very much hope to read more about them all :)

18. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Okay, we've got some great characters here.

First discussion: What are some of the patterns you see in the character sheets? What makes these characters interesting?

First challenge: It's introduction time. Pick one or more of your characters and write them as if you were introducing them into a story for the first time. ]

Please post it on Saturday, October 25th, either on the Saga Boards, the Non-SW fanfic boards or here for any stories that are original fiction.

19. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    A lot of us like writing Jedi? :confused: :D

20. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I totally forgot about this :_| is it too late to do the first exercise? I'll admit that it's hard to concentrate around here, but I have some characters that I can get going, and can probably have done by the end of the week. Please let me know!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    That will work. I'm just putting deadlines, because they help to move along the writing process.

22. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    [face_laugh]

While this is true, what else are we seeing. I've noticed that generally the Antagonist is not usually as fleshed out, is there a reason for this?

What else can we see? Is there a certain pattern we see with Protangonists? Or anything you've learned from these character sheets?

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I think most of us would identify with the protagonist, being that he or she is the good guy/girl. Although I've noticed that the Antagonist can be eerily interesting as well. I have to admit, due to this last exercise, it got me thinking about my antagonist and I developed a back story for him, without even realizing it. Now he's a character that a reader would understand, even though he does things the wrong way. But the reader could identify with his reasons why.

So I'm really grateful for this exercise. ;)

What I find very interesting about a character, is typical behaviour and faults. That's what draws me to a character. I don't want to read about a super person -- I want to read about a person. Someone who still has to deal with every day life, even if being human or alien or Jedi.
    I personally think it's very important to try and write your characters emotionally, as well. Not a whiny type but someone whose thought patterns you can discern.
    In way, by asking yourself "Why is the character doing this? Who is this character?" and coming up with different theories -- as a reader, I think that's the best way to get someone hooked on a story.

Are we supposed to post the challenge on Saturday or by Saturday?

24. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    You can do it sooner if you'd like. So yes, by Saturday. Oh and please put a link in this thread. :)

25. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Is it a slight or a trick to not go too deeply into the antagonist? What are some key factors into some of our favorite baddies?

On the reverse, does it matter what kind of toothpaste our protagonist uses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.