main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Idea to Story (Writing Workshop) Discussion Up 02/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ZaraValinor, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, you got me stuck with 2nd PoV now. I even got an idea, just need some time...
    [face_mischief]

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    2nd POV...I've never written 2nd POV before. I think I just might give it a try. Sounds rather complicated. A challenge for moi! :p

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    You two really like a challenge!

I'm going to go for First, even have an idea. That one will be hard enough for me I think.

4. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I need pressure to write, otherwise I don't get going.[face_blush]
    Started on the piece and it is more difficult that i expected. i am SO tempted to switch PoV all the time. 2nd sucks.[face_not_talking]

I don't see problems with changeing in 3rd limited if you make sure it's just when a new chapter starts. Or things like that.
    Switching in a single scene - said to be bad. *sigh*
    Though I am not really sure I'd even catch it.[face_thinking]

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I only write first-person if I want the narrative to be very selfish, i.e. with my Pink 5 stories. Even with Wife of Deceit, where the entire story only shows one person's side of things, I keep it in a 3rd person. I don't make it 3po, though. I think that's too convenient.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Agh! Sorry I'm late! Here's my introduction:

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=29373732&brd=10476

The title is "A Very Special Day".

7. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Actually, I think you would! Those are the moments you think 'hey, I thought Luke was saying/thinking that and now it's Leia?' :D

I know all about that, because that's how I started out myself. Until someone was nice enough to point out to me that it was a bit frustrating on the reader. [face_whistling]

8. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm finding out I truly, truly prefer writing third person as well. I'm trying first person now, but what I find difficult is, that I feeel I can't say things like 'he started to pace' or 'he walked over to the cabinet to grab a wodka'. Somehow visuals like that just aren't the same in first person.

9. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    First Person versus Omniscient Third.

What are the pros and cons to both and what are you most comfortable with?

Pros:

First person: Draws the reader in, great for establishing a single character's voice.

Omniscient third: Allows the writer lots of freedom to show various characters' thoughts and various places.

Cons:

First person: Can be restrictive since everything has to be told from the character's point of view.

Omnisient third: Doesn't allow for a lot of mystery since the narration can get into any character's head.

I'm not sure which point of view I'm most comfortable writing... I have tried writing in Second Person, but that just turned into First Person where the narrator happens to be addressing another character a lot of the time. I sometimes write in Third Person Objective (where the narration can't enter anyone's head), and that seems to work well for stories where I am emphasizing visuals and I want a very cold, detatched tone.

10. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Oh.[face_blush]

Doesn't Travis Fimmel looks an awful lot like a very young Brad Pitt? Maybe? Hm.

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Seems so, doesn't it? Even so, both of them are yummy looking guys.
    I prefer Travis Fimmel, though. Younger. :p
    And nicer body, too.

[image=http://stuperheroes.blogspirit.com/images/medium_travis_20fimmel2.jpg]

12. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Is it possible to fall in love with a fictional character? [face_love]=P~

13. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I don't know how many times I've asked myself that question. See my sig? Says it all. :p

Do you see that pouty mouth of his? [face_love]

14. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Cute guy... didn't really notice his lips...

First Person versus Omniscient Third.

What are the pros and cons to both and what are you most comfortable with?

I'm more comfortable in third person because I find it easier not to be directly in someone's head, and I knock myself out it, even if accidentally. And first person can vary as much as third can, depending on what the written intent is.

15. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, I did it. It's not long (because 2nd poV just sucks) but I did it. IMO, it turned out okay. Training

Still, I wouldn't want to write a long story like that. It makes me all fuzzy in the head.8-}

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I started mine today. 2nd POV is actually quite fun to write, methinks. Never done it before, though.

EDIT: k, 2nd POV is friggin evil! I love it. :D
    At least I'm making it evil. Muhahahahahahahaha.

Got mine up too:

The Shadow
    I chose my OC Nikk Vox for this challenge. I feel so sorry for him. :p

17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Where'd everyone go? I-)

20. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
  21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    They need to take a Nano break! :p

22. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    :_| I was agonizing, really agonizing over my entrance to the second challenge. First POV... wow, I found that very, very hard to do!!! Still, I finally have it up:

Different truths

I have read all your entrances already, but haven't commented yet, sorry [face_blush] Will do that after this post. Those entrances inspired me to write the second part of the story I started for the first challenge with some second pov in it, so thank you all!

A hand at the throat 2: Standard procedures

I *had* hoped the third challenge would be up by now, because I really find this workshop inspiring... Zara???? Please????

23. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Incidentally, I think that NaNo might have solved some of my problems for me.[face_blush]
    It's really all abput getting down and DOING something for me. I am just a lazy shakaar. :oops:

24. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Rereading the entries I've come to realize the main difference between the stories here and the 2nd POV stories I've encountered before, but couldn't get through. I liked the ones written for this challenge, a lot - because the POV belongs to someone from the story, clone trooper, Nikk Vox, Taloh.....

The stories I've tried previously in second POV were all written with the 'you' being the reader. Like 'Imagine yourself on a beach. You are walking along the surf. Suddenly you see a Jedi walking up to you...' Like my yoga teacher always did at the end of a lesson.

25. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Your yoga teacher told you to imagine a baeach with Jedi on it? Wow.
    I want a teacher like that, too.[face_plain]
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.