main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Idea to Story (Writing Workshop) Discussion Up 02/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ZaraValinor, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_whistling] Okay, maybe I put the Jedi there myself....

2. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    And she's back from a very extended stay in the land of Wacky-dalia. I'm so sorry for disappearing on you. But I should be back now and more often.

Quick question, is there anything else about characterization they'd like to go over? If not, what would you like to cover next?

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Besides wanting a Yoga teacher who tells us to imagine Jedi on a beach? :p

I wouldn't mind another challenge. Maybe you could give us a sentence or a title and we could write something about it?
    Although I wouldn't know what we could learn from that piece. :p It's something we had to do in school and I hated it.

The teacher gave us a title and we had to write a story. Or she gave us a pic and we had to write something about it.

What would come after characterization? The outline of the story, I'd guess.

4. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    We could do something like that.

I was thinking of moving into the plot next, starting off with verisimilitude.

5. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I need to go google that word. [face_laugh]

6. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    I *did* google it and I'm still not sure what it means, at least in terms of writing [face_hypnotized]

Great to see you back Zara!

As for ideas... plot exercises sound great to me. It's not easy to come up with a plot that's believable and, eh, true ;)

I would love something about the senses as well. A story really livens up when touch, smell, sound etc. is brought in and I know I have a lot to learn in that regard. Maybe writing something with a major sense like sight or hearing shut off, so things have to be told through the other four?

Like, how do you experience a wonderful looking Jedi on the beach when you can't see him? [face_whistling]

Or a story focused on just one of the senses?

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

I like that idea, though. I mean, the idea about the senses. And the idea about the Jedi on the beach. :p

I googled the foreign word and I still don't know what it means.

8. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    O:) Me thinks touch would be very important there *cough*

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

You read my mind there. *coughs* Yeah, can we write this, please? [face_laugh]

10. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Basically verismilitude (and try saying that five times fast, let alone spelling it) is creating a believeable world. Star Wars is an example, but so is Middle Earth.

These are great ideas for challenges. :)

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    That's one of the main problems I have when trying to write an original story.

Trying to create a believable world. It's so much harder than you'd think. Especially if you don't want to borrow or steal from movies or books that you love. It's complicated!
    And it's amazing what you have to think about when creating a world. It's not only the characters and where they are, you have to understand the whole to make the story believable.

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    It is incredibly difficult. But even Tolkien borrowed from ancient lore. Much of his mythology in the Lord of the Rings is borrowed from Norse mythology. He just made it his own and crafted it to his story.

And Star Wars is a western/opera/Arthurian tale set in space. In some ways writing is taking a favorite, but well worn and dusty ornament, cleaning it and giving it some fresh paint. Until its something familiar but exciting. And finding that balance has been a pain in my neck.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hi:

Thanks for permission to post my character profiles. I would like it known so no one jumps on me that my original universe is inspired partially by SW and my attempts at crafting original phrases/terms was jump started by admiration of JRRT's linguistic skill; I have tried very hard for twelve years to craft tales that honor these inspirations yet doesn't rip them off. I will acknowledge both SW and JRRT on my acknowledgment page.

These two profiles are my protagonist and a 'grey character' that seeks to right past mistakes.

Warning: Interspecies relationships are going to be in this tale.

First is my grey character:

Basic Attributes

* Given Name: Rephtorchis (Relolish: Uncertain Path)

* Nickname(s): Tori

* Appearance: reptilian, dragon-like
    - gender Male
    - age 860
    - height 1.99 meters
    - weight 91.82 kilos
    - hair color/style: N/A
    - eye color Deep green w/brown flecks
    - makeup: None
    - clothing style Gi-like
    * Race/ethnicity: Mar'kondian

* Physical abilities/limitations: For his kind, Tori is small while in his natural-form; though like all of his kind, he can shapeshift. Blind in right eye.

Socioeconomic class/standing:

* Religion: 7th Day Sabbath Keeper

* Place of birth: Mar'kon Theta

* Place and time of story: Tori's portion takes place late in life, the Ryhari and Daijaka Systems

* Parents' profiles
    - race/ethnicity: Mar'kondian
    - socioeconomic level: Middle class (University-Level Educators)
    - religion: 7th Day Sabbath Keeper
    - habits: warm, genuine
    - quality of relationship with child(ren): Excellent
    - living/deceased: Dead

* Brothers/sisters/significant-other relatives (profile each)
    - race/ethnicity: Species: Wolftarian, (Rehptorchis' bond-son)
    - socioeconomic level: Humble, but well cared for and loved
    - religion: 7th Day Sabbath Keeper
    - habits: Volunteer, his bond-father's shadow, student
    - quality of relationship: Excellent
    - living/deceased: Alive

* Family structure/life: Model

Brief Life Story

The Mar'kondian now known as Rephtorchis was born into the Meteor Chaser Bask-Clan of Markon Theta. He had classic Mar'kondian education focusing on physical disciple, swordsmanship, and problem analyzing. Upon becoming an adult he entered military service involuntarily due to the Council of Bask-Clans Decree. After a century of grudging service, Rephtorchis took his personal Bloodclaw fighter and fled...forsaking war, evermore. Spending well over a century as an active member in both the Order of Trust and the Knights of Peace, the ex-warrior came to truly understand that war is indiscriminate and brings misery to all it touches. Growing abhorrent of it, he dedicated his life to righting the wrongs of his past. On Ryhor, he became an orphanage worker...adopting a male Wolftarian todd as a bond-son; (This is of note because Mar'kondians and Wolftarians are blood-adversarial since time unknown.)

Lost the sight of his eye while protecting his bond-son from fellow Mar'kondians.

Psychology

* Outer Goal (physical): To raise his bond-son properly

* Inner Goal (psychological/emotional): To learn to forgive himself and come to fully trust Eternal Preserver again

* Life, career, or personal goals outside of the realm of the story:

* Defining characteristic: Protective, reserved, physicality

* Hopes/desires: Inner-balance, to see his bond-son have pups in safety; not surrounded by hate

* Fears/phobias: Rage

* Dirty Secrets: N/A

* Introvert or extrovert?:Introvert

* More thinking or feeling?: Thinking, ponderous

* What do you see is the biggest contradiction(s) your character lives out?: N/A
    * Tends to be self centered? Selfish? Selfless?: Dutiful
    * Favorite and hated foods/drinks: Narter, spiral horn, lakesh; Hates: violin beetle

* Education or important learning experiences: tenure as volunteer

* Most hated activities: Reports, witnessing destruction

* Most enjoyed activities: comforting others, teaching, raising his bond-son, making friends that defy 'normal acceptance' especially by his species' standards

* Deepest secret or wildest fantasy: He longs to marry and r

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    [image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/kenosiri6.jpg]

like this? with Siri and Obi-Wan?

15. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Verisimilitude

Discussion:
    How to make your world come alive. Whether it is set in a galaxy far, far away or on our own familiar earth, how do we paint the scene and make it both believable and engaging.

Challenge:
    This is solely on the world around any character you choose. Choose any fandom or create your own world. But I want to see the environment come alive. Make it the star of the piece, vivid and stark.

Challenge is due by the 9th of January.

16. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    I definitely like the challenge, but if I'll manage January 9th... I don't know. I'm still thinkingt about what kind of world. From an existing story of mine? Or something entirely new in which that world is the 'main character' so to speak? Right now I'm leaning towards the last.

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Oh, shoot. With all the other challenges I almost forgot about this one. [face_blush] I'll see if I can make the deadline.

18. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    We can extend the deadling to the 14th if that helps anyone.

19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have mine in and it's about the home planet of some of my characters

Home musings

20. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    I for one would appreciate it, Zara! I think I'll have a little trouble with this one.

But those are the best challenges, right? :D

:eek: Gosh, early-bird, you are quick!

21. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    I think that a good way to do that is to remember the mundane, practical details. It really helps if you know the climate of the environment you're writing; I had a much easier time writing someone's patrol on Hoth (don't forget the snowshoes and the avalanche beacon!) than a desert planet (well I guess it must be hot and dusty...).

22. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Climate is incredibly helpful and I love describing the sky. For me its always the first layer of paint on my painting.

I also try to come up with the functioning systems, at least that why I call them, how does the government function, the families, the economic levels, then how do my characters fit into the cogs of these functions.

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Just going by the words to use as description, I think it's rather important to use adejectives and try to stay away from passive sentences as much as possible.
    Not too many adjectives because the text tends to get boring then but enough to make your point.

And passive sentences -- this is just my oppinion but when using active sentences, I find the text to be alive. You can really jump into the story and pretend you're there.

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    About the environmental aspect of a story... have to think on that one. It's not normally the first thing I describe in a scene, though it IS an important aspect and does add character.

25. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    A quick chek-in to let you know I'm not sure I can make it the 14th, because my laptop decided to quit on me (and it's hardly a year old!) I don't know yet what's wrong with it and how long it will take.

I'm still going to write this one though, I think it's a great challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.