main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming From Menace to Mouse: Classic Star Wars Gaming (1999-2014) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daxon101, May 19, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    MOD EDIT- Expanding thread's scope for use beyond this initial topic once we merge the forum. This thread will be for discussion of all classic Star Wars games released between 1999-2014 (X-Wing Alliance is technically a 1999 release, but we're counting it as part of this companion thread being put aside for all the pre-TPM game releases).

This thread will essentially cover everything released between TPM game titles up to before EA's main run begins with Battlefront in 2015 after the canon rebooted.

=====Original Opening Post Follows=====

I see a Post about this [The Phantom Menace video games 20th Anniversary] on Twitter and thought id create a thread in the same vain.

I remember playing the Video Game and Jedi power battles. The Video Game was enjoyable and at times felt like a prototype KOTOR i thought. while Jedi Power Battles was a frustrating pain in the butt!... that i didn't play very long.

I never played Obi Wan and i don't think i ever played Pod racing. mostly due to the lack of Xbox and whatever Nintendo console was out at that time. think it was gamecube.

[​IMG]
    Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (Video game) ^

[​IMG]
    Jedi Power Battles ^

[​IMG]
    Star Wars: Obi-Wan ^

[​IMG]
    Star Wars Episode I: Racer ^

[​IMG]
    Star Wars Starfighter ^

[​IMG]
    Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo ^

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2024
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I really enjoyed The Phantom Menace, Podracer and Starfighter on the Playstation systems.

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Podracer was on N64 and Dreamcast. But there was a sequel that came out later on PS2, about the same time as the release of AotC called Racer: Revenge.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Battle For Naboo greatly enhances the experience of watching TPM. Starfighter was also fun, as was Jedi Power Battles of Dreamcast.

Racer wasn't bad (but felt lacking compared to F-Zero and Extreme-G). The Arcade version was pretty awesome, though, with the actual lever controls.

Fond memories of TPM PC game, though. Only played it a few times in high school (had one programming teacher who loaded cool stuff onto the systems for us) but it was one of the first places to really highlight the Droid Starfighters transformers-like quality (since it's blink-and-you'll-miss-it in the movie) when you fight it as a boss, IIRC.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I had the chance to play the Racer arcade game once. It was pretty cool.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah. You don't realize how difficult it would be to actually control/steer a podracer like that until you play that game. It's not something you can get a true sense of just by using an analog stick or flightstick. Probably the only controller/input device that could even come theoretically close would be the GCN controller, if you had to control your pod by using the two analog triggers. And, even then, the responsiveness of your fingers on two triggers is a large step removed from using large levers that work your arms and upper body.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The N64 tried their best to replicate the arcade version, if you plugged in two controllers in ports 1 and 3 you could use both analog sticks to drive and steer.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that's right! I had forgotten about that! Dual analog sticks still isn't quite the same but about the best you could do at home.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I liked the Huttese swearing.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I has Knights of the Old Republic on my Android phone and it plays better, smoother, looks better, and runs easier (and doesn't crash) unlike the version I had on my PC 10 years ago. And about 50 bucks cheaper too. Going full darkside this time cuz canonically it doesn't exist in main Star Wars canon (I went with Lightside 10 years ago cuz that was the Legends canon answer). Takes me, like, months to play though it cuz only a few minutes a week but cranking through. Oddly, it's way more annoying to try to get your health up when you're Dark Side, although I'm pumping stats into the Drain Life power.

Alpha-Red and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I need to circle back around to that one day. My old PC just started to have mouse input delays during games only around that time which made it impossible to play most games (basically i could walk around in real time in games but any mouse clicks would have 5+ second delays, forcing one to literally be a Jedi and see things before they happened in order to try to play anything). Windows didn't fix that problem for a year or two and by time the update came around the PC was dying on other fronts so I had to put my SW PC games off to the side and refocus on consoles.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a bit awkward on a phone because the menu text icons are really small to strain to move things around and sometimes clicking around the map can get difficult (And I have large fingers) so gets sometimes to be kinda like this

Not unplayable, though! just gotta get used to it.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Jedi Academy has been released on Switch and, apparently, it has unadvertised crossplay. The result has been that veteran PC players are logging in to dominate newer console players (with not just the added experience but the added precision of keyboard and mouse). Also worth noting the game lists your IP address to other players. Things that may get patched out in the near future.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Eep. Is that IP address thing something that applies to the PS4 version as well? Because that's where I bought both Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast. Never played either before.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a follow-up/clarification, it turns out the IP address being displayed in question are the ones for the console multiplayer servers, not the users (the initial report i read wasn't clear about that, thus the confusion). Which is how the game has always functioned. The issue is that PC users can take the visible IP address for a console server and then manually connect to it through the PC version.

So, basically, they want a patch that prevents the IP from being displayed and then change the IP address of the console servers, which would prevent PC users from hacking into a console match.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's just the cheapest kind of cheating. Although I don't know if I plan to play the multiplayer, I'm mostly interested in the main game.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That is nowhere near the cheapest kind of cheating. It is arguable whether it is cheating at all. Just PC players of the game discovering they were able to crash a party to play with a whole new group of players. That they are far more practiced and having a possible controller setup advantage being just an unfortunate fact, and the majority not having seal clubbing being their motive to play the console players.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Seal clubbing [face_laugh].

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Two of the main devs behind Republic Commando are playing through RC on their podcast (they usually don’t cover their own games) and providing some interesting commentary on its development:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 (coming next week)

Blobofat likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    What was unique for me about this particular era was while I played Dark Forces and Jedi Knight on PC windows for Jedi Outcast I actually played it on GameCube of all things. Never really played Jedi Academy although I did buy it as a gift for my cousins and played like 6 minutes.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the GCN Outcast was the only platform I had access to with that game on it. Got pretty far into it, I think. I should probably pick up my save one day and try to finish it.

22. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I was a big fan of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. Each game improved upon the previous version and it got better and better. So I was hoping the Phantom Menace game would be an even bigger step up. I was really disappointed in the game. From the overhead cam, the clunky controls, weak light saber battles, and lousy story it was a huge letdown. I thought the music was the highlight and about the only enjoyable thing from the game. It would have been great if the gameplay was in the same vein as Dark Forces.

Blobofat likes this.
  23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    A fan apparently remastered Jedi knight in unreal engine. Star wars theory and collider gaming played it recently on their channels

Blobofat likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Dev Game Club ended up doing an extensive series of interviews with the rest of the Republic Commando team after they finished their normal play and analysis of the game. This effectively amounts to the most extensive BTS/Making Of we are likely to ever get about Republic Commando (and, to a lesser extent, the half-decade at LucasArts leading up to it). Here are all the links for the complete series:

-Republic Commando, Part 1
    -Republic Commando, Part 2
    -Republic Commando, Part 3
    -Bonus Interview 1: David Collins (Audio Lead) & Jesse Harlin (Composer)
    -Bonus Interview 2: Harley Baldwin (Level Designer)
    -Bonus Interview 3: Greg Knight (Principal Concept Artist) & Paul Pierce (UI Designer & Artist)
    -Bonus Interview 4: Dave Bogan (Lead Animator)
    -Bonus Interview 5: Tim Longo Jr (Lead Designer) & Brett Douville (Lead Programmer)
    -Bonus Interview 6: Jeremie Talbot (Technical Artist)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Republic Commando is coming to Switch & PS4 in April!

Looking forward to finally playing this.

Glitterstimm likes this.