main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming From Menace to Mouse: Classic Star Wars Gaming (1999-2014) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daxon101, May 19, 2019.

1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I remember enjoying the multiplayer on both Xbox Live and PC because you could be a customizable Trandoshan, it was pretty basic multiplayer but I enjoyed it. I can understand having only the single player come back. I wonder if LRG will do a release of it as well.

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Republic Commando had great atmosphere, and the squad commands made it feel far more interactive/immersive than many FPS games of the time. The dark tones were a tantalizing teaser for ROTS, and made Order 66 more sinister. Also had great audio from sfx to music, when the Escape From Naboo theme kicks in feels great.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, the music is so good. Watching that Switch trailer I was just wondering why they had used some generic modern trailer music instead.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Licensing for SW music can be weird, even for trailers advertising their own content that includes said music. This is probably a budget release so they're probably trying to keep the marketing budget to a minimum.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Apart from really Ep1 racer and KOTOR/KOTOR 2/TOR this was a really low point for Star Wars games. The peak was really 1990-2000. If we're being honest...

Bor Mullet and TrandoJedi like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was it? We were getting decent to great games several times a year- and often ones with a good amount of original story.

In addition to the ones you cited, there was Battle For Naboo, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Clone Wars, Jedi Starfighter, Bounty Hunter, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy.

Add in there solid middle road titles like TPM, Jedi Power Battles & Galactic Battlegrounds and stuff that falls inbetween like Force Unleashed, etc.

It becomes a lowpoint towards the end of this era, for sure, as you have the cancellation of 1313 & the dissolution of LucasArts. But it was a pretty strong, near-decade run.

What came before had great highs, for sure, but the preceding era basically boils down to the X-TIE trilogy, Super SW trilogy, two FPS games and a couple arcade corridor shooters. Quality (and often genre-defining) titles, but less variety and quantity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jedi Outcast was a terrible stain on the legacy of Dark Forces II though, with all depth stripped out to meet the emphasis on lightsaber aesthetics over character which the PT pushed.
    But pre-2000 you have: X-Wing; TIE Fighter; X-Wing Alliance; Rebellion; Dark Forces; Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and the underrated Force Commander. Plus Rogue Squadron and TPM the game were 2000.

Variety and/or quantity aren't synonyms for quality. Force Unleased was pretty crap, as was Jedi Academy.

Bor Mullet and SuperWatto like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think you could make the case that LucasFilm Games/LucasArts as a whole largely declined when the merchandising ramp-up for the PT brought too much attention and decrees from the higher-ups to the studio, even Star Wars games would just be a knock-on effect of that trend. Their best work in pretty much every genre was under the more free flowing “just don’t lose money” days, and it’s not a coincidence that the post-1999ish games looked back on most fondly were usually outsourced.

TrandoJedi, Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Nineties Star Wars PC games were the cream of the crop. Not just the best games for PC, the best games out there.
    Well, and then came The Phantom Menace and as with the films and the books and the comics it was all downhill from there.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have to admit though I liked TPM the game. It was a mess controls wise, but as a concept it was decent and could've been used across the OT.

Including the Jawa massacre options.

heels1785 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I liked Galactic Battlegrounds, against my better judgment.

Place wall... place wall... place wall... place wall... place wall...place wall... place wall...

TrandoJedi likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It couldn't hold a candle to AOE II. Empire At War, otoh, was merely ok.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    See, this guy gets it.
    Army of Sio Bibbles. Why? Why not?

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not suggesting they are- but there is something to be had from having good games in multiple genres vs good games in only 2 or 3 (and most within the same series, so there isn't even a lot of gameplay variety available within those genres).

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes! Dark Forces, Rogue Squadron and Pod Racing on N64

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What about Jedi Starfighter and Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars

christophero30 likes this.
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Dark Forces is truly my favorite Star Wars game to this day, this may be part nostalgia but it really felt like more than just a Doom clone to me. I love Jedi Outcast/Academy and Raven Software but I think it's more the memories of the mods and multiplayer than the single player of the two games themselves.

18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Dark Forces is amazing. The atmosphere just oozes OT goodness. The graphics are a bit rough, to the point that sometimes in dark corridors you have no idea where you are going.

Glitterstimm and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    thats why you got the flashlight!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And why Dianogas are still scary to this day.

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    here I was shooting my blaster so I could see :p

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was the only one I can recall where you got things to make levels easier. Ice cleats etc for the snow level.

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    A galaxy where they build a planet sized battle station but can't engineer batteries for a flashlight or breath mask that last longer than five minutes.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Those are a package deal with handrails so it’s a non-starter.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000