main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Saga "From Such Infinite Space" | UDC X; Multi-era, Ensemble Cast

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Aug 14, 2022.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Title: "From Such Infinite Space"
    Author: Mira_Jade

Genre: Everything!
    Time Frame: Everywhere!
    Characters: Everyone! (see the Index for more details)

Summary: Drabbles from a galaxy far, far away, written in response to the Ultimate Drabble Challenge X.

Author's Notes: The UDC is back and so am I! It feels great to be dabbling in writing again (this is the first time I've put pen to paper, so to speak, since June 8-}), especially for such a tried-and-true boards classic. Here you can expect lots of PT, OT, and Legends goodness - along with bits and pieces from my Song!verse and Home!verse AUs. It's going to be a blast.

@ViariSkywalker is an absolute gem, and she agreed to provide me with an alternate list of prompts, since I already know the impending craziness that's about to be inflicted on the masses through the main UDC. Though, knowing Vi, I'm in for just as much of a ride. :p [face_mischief]

Now, without further ado, this is where the fun begins . . .

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, but for the words. My title is inspired by the song "We Could Be Stars", by Andreas Kübler. [face_love]

Index of Drabbles

Week I: "To Push Back the Dark" (Saga; post-RoTS - pre-ANH) | Obi-Wan Kenobi | Caleb Dume | Beru Lars/Owen Lars & Luke Skywalker | Bail Organa & Leia Organa | Ahsoka Tano & Quinlan Vos

Week II: "Gravity Keeps Us Together" (Beyond-Legends) | Teneniel Djo | Mirax Terrik/Corran Horn & Wedge Antilles | Vima-Da-Boda & Kyp Durron | Tenel Ka Djo & Jacen Solo & Jaina Solo | Cade Skywalker & Luke Skywalker/Mara Jade Skywalker

Week III: "Sunlight Warm Upon My Face" (Saga; Song!verse AU) | Mara Jade & Ensemble Cast

Week IV: "A Silver Lining Spilling Over" (Saga; Song!verse AU) | Quinlan Vos & Aayla Secura/Bly | T'ra Saa/Amund Tholme | Nen Netl (OC) | Caleb Dume/Hera Syndulla | Obi-Wan Kenobi & The Skywalker Family

Week V: "I Will Be Your Sword and Shield" (Beyond-Legends) | Jaina Solo & Ensemble Cast

Week VI: "Feed the Sun; Warm the Dawn" (Beyond-Legends; NJO) | Tenel Ka Djo & Teneniel Djo | Anakin Solo & Han Solo | Mara Jade Skywalker & Jaina Solo | Leia Organa & Mara Jade Skywalker | Jaina Solo & Tenel Ka Djo

Week VII: "Heirloom" (Beyond-Legends) | Luke Skywalker/Mara Jade Skywalker & Ben Skywalker

Week VIII: "The Weight of Water" (TCW) | Anakin Skywalker & The 501st | Rex & Ahsoka Tano | Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker & Ahsoka Tano | Anakin Skywalker/Padmé Amidala| Rex & Anakin Skywalker | Padmé Amidala & Ahsoka Tano | Ahsoka Tano & Anakin Skywalker

Week IX & X: "How Do We Teach Eyes to Close, Bones to Disappear?" (Saga; Song!verse AU) | Darth Maul & Ensemble Cast | Anakin Skywalker & Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn | Mara Jade/Luke Skywalker

~ MJ
    @};-

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  2. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Week I: "To Push Back the Dark"

I. Gloaming

Anakin had once claimed that the only thing worth missing about Tatooine was its sunsets.

Obi-Wan, who’d by then seen a hundred suns rise and fall on a hundred different worlds, had returned that there was beauty to be found in every twilight. Now, however, there was so little about Tatooine that was pleasing to the eye. His new home was a hard world, where only a hard-working few reaped what hard-won joys they could from such an inhospitable land. Yet when the empty desert sky erupted into flame above the endless sea of sand, Obi-Wan felt a pang to understand a facet of his fallen apprentice that he, perhaps, had not before.

II. Umbra

Caleb hadn’t consciously touched the Force since the day his master died.

How could he, when he remembered that awful black thing, choking all that was once good and bright to his senses? More so than fearing the nothingness, the emptiness, awaiting him where the Jedi of the Order had once burned like stars, he instinctively knew to avoid that devouring blackness the same way he’d learned to duck his head and hide his name and never, ever look back.

If, every so often, he could hear Master Billaba whisper that a single candle could hold back even the darkest shadow, that, too, was safer to forget until many years later.

III. Awaken

Maybe, they hadn’t seen what they’d seen.

Beru couldn’t help but repeat those words like a lifeline. They'd been hoping – not believing, quite – that Luke wouldn’t take after his father in this way. There was a chance, after all. No one knew how the Force chose its vessels – not even Obi-Wan. Maybe . . .

Yet the toy starfighter hadn’t flown on its own, now, had it?

When she checked in on Luke one last time for the night, Owen was already sitting by their nephew’s bedside. His shoulders were bowed and his expression was troubled, even in the dark.

Silently, Beru joined his vigil, and took his hand.

IV. Zenith

The feats of valor playing in the holos were of the sort that defied belief. Yet Leia stared, entranced to watch the Hero Without Fear and the Negotiator play their parts in the Clone Wars. The Emperor may have wanted history to tell one story, but Bail was determined that his daughter would learn another – would learn the truth. (Would, maybe one day, fight for that truth.)

“If the Jedi were so strong, why did they fall?”

How had the likes of Anakin Skywalker fallen so far? All Bail could do was tell Leia what he’d lived through, and hope that the past could yet shape the future to come.

V. Supraliminal

The crowded cantina washed over her with a hum of sensory information. Heartbeats echoed against her montrals in a cacophony of sound, underscoring the mutter of dozens of simultaneous conversations in a dozen different languages. Her nose itched for the Chandra-Fan at the bar, reeking of nervous prey-scent, even as her lekku twitched for the equal notice of a trio of Trandoshan bounty hunters.

Yet, that was nothing compared to the sudden whisper of . . .

Ahsoka Tano joined the lone Kiffar at his booth, reveling as the Force rippled in recognition of another. “I hear,” she said to Quinlan Vos in greeting, “that you are searching for the Path.”

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Tarsier, Findswoman , Kit' and 6 others like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What a gorgeous set of prompts and a broad range of contexts and emotions! =D= =D=

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  4. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    YAY IT'S UP!!! [face_dancing]

[:D] I will do my best! [face_mischief] [face_batting]

This is definitely my headcanon, that Anakin never felt any particular affinity for or attachment to Tatooine (home for him was never a place, but rather the people he loved, and there were too many painful memories associated with Tatooine), but that he would have, at the very least, been able to (perhaps a bit grudgingly) appreciate those sunsets and see the beauty in them.

I love this so much. When you think about Obi-Wan's experiences with Tatooine before the end of RotS, there's really not much to it. He didn't experience it the way Qui-Gon did, walking amongst its people, seeing the places where Anakin lived and toiled. And then I think there's a tendency to associate Obi-Wan's exile on Tatooine with Luke, because he's there to watch over the child, of course. But how much must those years on Tatooine have changed the way he remembered Anakin, providing new context for so many little things he experienced as his master? It's not that Obi-Wan ever meant to be dismissive or ignorant of Anakin's former life; he was trying to guide him and expand his horizons and even comfort him as best he could. But there were still things even he didn't understand at the time, and I think you've captured that perfectly in this drabble. [face_love]

Chills. Such a visceral image, I can definitely see young Caleb perceiving the darkness of the Sith in this way.

I really like this, that Owen and Beru had hoped maybe the Force would just pass Luke by. I could feel their quiet fear, and the resignation that followed.

Owen and Beru are the best parents, and I loved seeing that in the Obi-Wan show, and I'm so glad you chose to highlight that here. (Seriously, they're the best. [face_love])

Way to hit me with one of my favorite SW fanfic tropes, anything to do with Leia learning about the Jedi Anakin Skywalker. [face_love] [face_love] And I love Bail so much, and of course he's going to make sure Leia knows the truth. My gosh, Luke and Leia really did end up with some amazing parents, didn't they? [face_love] (I'm definitely abusing that smiley today :p)

Ooh, excellent details here! You always do such a great job with the details of alien physiology and how that impacts the way those characters perceive their surroundings.

Yaaaasss. :D

These are off to a fantastic start, Mira! I can't wait to see what you'll do with the next set! [face_mischief] :* [:D]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Manic ping-pong strikes again :p

=(( I admit, before the show, I did not fully appreciate how much guilt Obi-Wan must have felt during that time on Tatooine - which adds even more nuance to this. A person's early childhood tends to stay with them, and Anakin's was so very different from that of pretty much anyone else in the Temple. Of course Obi-Wan begins to understand him better now.

The pain the Jedi survivors endured is heartbreaking, but my gosh, for the padawans and younglings who escaped - can you imagine trying to make sense of all of this, all on your own, so young? I've said many times that Mara has a great deal of inherent strength to have survived her childhood training to be Emperor's Hand, and I think Kanan has that same sort of strength, to have survived everything he did after the Purge.

Also, your descriptions are sublime, as always [face_love]

Another amazing and long overdue thing the Obi-Wan show accomplished: a fuller view of how very, very much Owen and Beru and Bail and Breha loved Luke and Leia. As thrilled as I was to see a badass Beru more than ready to defend her family and home even against an Inquisitor, I'm so grateful to have the "gruff Owen who resented Luke and was a big old meanie who made his life miserable" trope finally die. Of course Owen loved him as much as Beru did, and of course this possibility scared them. I love that you included them here [face_love]

That's right! I mean, come on, between her genetics and her upbringing, was there ever any doubt that Leia would be a fighter? :p

You're so good at these details of different species' perceptions, I love it [face_love]

Eeeeeeeeeeee

I admit, I haven't read Quinlan's comics (I really do need to get around to that), but I loved him in TLC, and especially loved Obi-Wan's resigned exasperation with him :p I'm so glad he survived the Purge, and helped with the Path :D (Although Vi had a point that the show really should have called it "the Great River" :p )

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank you! [:D]

IT'S UP! :D [:D]

Oh, I have no doubt. [face_mischief]

Exactly - especially the home was never a place for Anakin. That's so spot on! =D= But then, those sunsets. Even Anakin, with all of his less than fond memories of Tatooine, would have to see the beauty there.

THIS, TOO! ALL OF THIS!

Obi-Wan had so much time for reflection during his exile, and a new context for many of those reflections. It's just heartbreaking, really, when you think of the way he must have taken apart each and every little moment he'd spent with Anakin over the years. He tried his best in a very difficult situation, to guide and shape Anakin, and to a large degree he did an amazing job and succeeded. But there were still those things he didn't fully understand, and this was one of them.

Thank you! [face_love]

That quiet fear and resignation was just what I was going for. :D

The absolute best, I agree! They were definitely an A+ inclusion for me in the Obi-Wan show. [face_love]

Well, better than other emojis that can be abused. ;) (What's my record for including the heartbreak smiley in your Decathalon of Death, now? o_O)

But I agree, this is just one of my absolute favorite SW tropes, too! I love Leia learning about her heritage here, such as it is, and Bail just being the best role model and father for her along the way. [face_love]

Thank you! What's the fun of having non-human characters if you can't let them be non-human? :p And you know that writing Ahsoka will always hold a special place in my heart. [face_love]

QUINLAN!! I gave such a squee for that name-drop in the show, so of course I had to expand on that a little bit further here. [face_mischief] [face_love]

Thank you so much for your stellar feedback and support, my friend, as always! I can't wait to share more! [:D] [:D]

We're indefatigable, it seems. [face_mischief] :cool:

Exactly! That's always been something fascinating for me to consider, how Obi-Wan must have just picked apart every aspect of his relationship with Anakin in his mind during his exile (talk about the ultimate mix of survivor's guilt as a Jedi, and then just plain guilt for wondering if there was anything he could have done differently to prevent Anakin's fall). I love how the show portrayed those very complex emotions, and I equally enjoyed exploring those feelings in what a way I could in this drabble.

Right?? These poor babies, all of them! (And Mara, too! =(()

Amen to that! I will always be here for all of the good parent content for the Lars and Organas. [face_love]

It's a forgone conclusion, to be sure. :p

I just love including these details - especially for Ahsoka [face_love] - so I'm thrilled that you enjoy them, too! :D

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] The Great River - I love it! [face_mischief] And Quinlan is THE BEST, so yes, you do. His chaotic energy, especially when combined with Obi-Wan's resigned exasperation is just such an awesome dynamic. (I played with that only a little bit in So Few Things - and hello there, WIP that I need to finish - but my gosh, it was all sorts of fun. :p)

As always, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read and leave your thoughts! [face_love] [:D]

Week Two will be up in just a few! :D

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: This week has been a week, lemme tell you, and I haven't had much time to write. Even so, I'm trying to treat the UDC like the Kessel Run Challenge, and really stick to a weekly posting schedule. As such, in the end, I made myself write the first idea that came to mind for each prompt and saw it through. This week was a bit of a speed writing exercise as a result, not unlike sketching with words. These drabbles are a grab-bag of five Legends characters, all loosely united - and I mean very loosely :p - by the theme of heritage.

My title for this week is again borrowed from "We Could Be Stars", by Andreas Kübler. [face_love]

Week II: "Gravity Keeps Us Together"

VI. Intrepid

Every clansister of Dathomir knew that the only way to tame a wild rancor was to look it in the eye and never, ever blink.

Patience and persistence, she could still hear Grandmother Rell whisper in her ear. And, if necessary, ensure they know that your bite is worse than their own.

So Teneniel Djo took the throne of Hapes, not bedecked in the fine shimmer-silks and glittering jewels she'd been advised to wear, but in her best lizard skin armor and her hair braided in the style of her foremothers, vowing to fulfill her duty to her new people the best and only way she knew how.

VII. Stupefy

What was she even doing?

Mirax hardly knew as she faithfully followed her father’s (oh, but wasn’t that just the figurative icing on top?) recipe for rysecate. She inwardly debated, and almost convinced herself to scrap the idea entirely, until –

“Wow, but I haven’t had a good rysecate since -”

Reflexively, Mirax smacked Wedge’s hand away. “It’s for Corran,” she said sharply – too sharply, for the almost comical way Wedge’s eyes widened in surprise. “You know,” she quickly added, "to thank him for Chorax."

For Wedge’s answering smirk, Mirax briefly considered shoving the cake in his face, but resisted – just barely.

VIII. Impulse

Eventually, time lost all meaning. What were days and weeks and even years to the infinite eyes of the Force? And yet, without the Force, who was one who had once defined herself by -

Vima-Da-Boda may have been a Jedi no more, yet when she sensed the presence of another, buried and forgotten alongside her, deep within Kessel’s mines . . .

“Open your eyes,” she did not consider the will of the Force; she merely obeyed, “and Vima will help you see.”

“What’s there to see down here?” bitterly, the Durron boy returned.

Everything – and Vima will show you.”

IX. Aureate

In some ways, Tenel Ka endured the revelation of her heritage the same as holding her breath in deep water. Here on Hapes, where all was glitter and gild, would her friends think her to be another empty bauble, worth more for the crown atop her head rather than who she was beneath that crown, or -

“You truly don’t see me any differently, do you, friend Jacen?”

“You’re still just Tenel Ka, right?” Jacen seemed as honestly perplexed by her question as Jaina was, even as she carefully searched his gaze. “What else is there for us to see?”

And finally, Tenel Ka exhaled.

X. Transcend

In hindsight, maybe Cade Skywalker should have expected their visit. This was something that the meddling old spirit wouldn't miss – both meddling old spirits. Though the likes of Luke Skywalker would never gloat – oh never that – there was nonetheless something knowing about Mara Jade Skywalker’s timeless eyes that Cade had since come to recognize. They were definitely both enjoying this, and at his expense.

Yet Cade couldn’t hold onto his ire for too long. How could he? Instead, letting himself bask in his pride and joy and peace, he pulled back the blanket swaddling his newborn daughter and introduced: “This is Eirny . . . Eirny Skywalker.”

~ MJ
    @};-

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    Tarsier, Findswoman , Kahara and 3 others like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Tenenniel-- totally what she would do. =D= Stupefy ... [face_laugh] [face_mischief] Wedge knows what Mirax won't say out loud. [face_shhh] [face_love]

Jacen's answer to Tenel Ka was wonderful, and quite a relief to her, I'm sure, being known and liked for yourself. @};-

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Tarsier, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  9. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, so I'm going to be back to comment on the drabbles ( [face_love] ), but first I had to comment on this, because I kid you not, this song was playing in my head right before I started reading your notes, and then when I saw the title I was like :eek: [face_hypnotized] [face_love]. So that was pretty awesome. :D Great minds, amirite? [face_batting] [:D]

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    OHMIGOSH, THE BEST MINDS! :eek: [face_laugh] [face_hypnotized]

My title for this entire collection is kinda borrowed from that song, too. And you know, that really should be included in my notes somewhere. I've been remiss. :p [face_mischief]

[:D]

Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.
  11. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I HAD WONDERED IF IT WAS! [face_love] That's probably why it kept getting stuck in my head every time I saw your thread title. :p [face_laugh] I LOVE IT. [:D]

What a great line to open with. :cool: And then it was made all the better when I got the full context of the drabble...

Get 'em, Teneniel!

I've gone back through some of your ficlet threads and read pieces here and there, and you always do so well with Teneniel and Tenel Ka and fleshing out their worlds and heritage and the importance that their mothers, grandmothers, etc. play in shaping them into the women they will become. [face_love] =D=

[face_laugh] I just love friends as surrogate siblings.

Lol, such restraint! :p

What eerie timing; I was just doing a little bit of research on Nomi and Vima Sunrider a week or so ago, trying to reacquaint myself with some of those stories. (It's been a long, long time since I've read anything about them or Vima-Da-Boda.) I had honestly forgotten all about Vima-Da-Boda's connection with Kyp. [face_thinking]

With how Kyp was developed in the NJO and beyond, it's easy to forget that this is what he came from. Love this exchange between the two of them!

This is a fantastic line. [face_love]

Oh, Tenel Ka. :( But this was another beautiful line, and very fitting for "aureate" =D=

Of course her friends see her for herself rather than for her crown. [face_love] I loved these YJK and early J/TK feels!

Lolol, Cade forever putting up with his pestering dead relatives will never not amuse me. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

:eek: New baby Skywalker! New baby Skywalker daughter!! [face_love] [face_love] *happy screeching*

(This reminds me that Gabri and I very briefly brainstormed a reality where Cade is a space hippy going by the name Cedardew Twin Twist. I might have to actually write that some day. o_O :p)

(Also, this is reminding me that I promised some happy AU stuff in my drabbles, and that I still have a couple Skywalker daughters of my own to introduce... [face_batting])

Another excellent drabble outing, Mira! And once again, I look forward to seeing where the next round of prompts takes you... [face_mischief] [face_batting] [:D]

Kahara, Gabri_Jade and Mira_Jade like this.
  12. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    [face_batting] [face_batting] [face_batting]

Turns out sometimes name generators are good for generating plot bunnies too :p

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Obi-Wan, Quinlan Vos, Tenel Ka, Jacen, Corran Horn, Cade Skywalker, all the characters are here that I love in these insightful drabbles

14. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I love this, and especially wrt the Obi-Wan show where it shows him ... working. Which I had never actually considered before - that Obi-Wan needed to have a dayjob on Tatooine to have the credits and everything to live. And how that connects so well to what he didn't really understand about Anakin, about what it meant to have to work like that, but also that the sunset - that damn sunset - still makes Tatooine beautiful.

Lovely imagery! And also - I had totally forgotten who Caleb was and had only remembered him by his other name, so I had to go Google it, so he hid his name so well. :p :kanan:

I love what good parents they are, and their lonely fear. Like, as a parent, sometimes my kid DOES WEIRD THINGS. Not telekinesis weird things, but like - I can talk to people about it. They couldn't talk to anyone, and that sounds achingly painful.

I like how the two drabbles of the twins' parents fit neatly together, and how this one ends on such a hopeful note.

Oooh, you do such a great job with alien physiology here! I had never actually considered that Ahsoka's species is predatory, but that's fascinating.

Yes, I love this. As both a girl!power! moment, and also how Teneniel Djo interprets her duty, despite everyone else's interpretations.

I had completely forgotten the existence of Vima-Da-Boda and thought she was just a one-shot character from my most recent rereading of DE, but - now I need to know what happens to her?? The old Jedi from this era of the EU are so odd, because before the existence of the PT we really knew nothing about the Jedi Order before the Purge. So she's an anachronism both within the universe, and also from a meta-perspective, where she's written by authors who just don't really ... know yet.

[face_love]

Squeee, new Skycrawler! [face_love]

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Indeed! :D [face_love]

These two really did have something special at one time, didn't they? [face_love]

Thank you for reading, as always! [:D]

This is still just the best! [face_laugh] [face_love] [:D]

Why, thank you! :D

Thank you! There are some aspects of the Dathomiri way of life that were clearly written by men, but so much of it really did have potential. I do love how strong the ties of heritage and family are between these women, and enjoy exploring that when I can. [face_love]

They are the best, aren't they? :p

It makes you wonder about other times when that restraint may have failed. [face_mischief]

That is crazy timing! Honestly, I had almost forgotten about Vima-Da-Boda too until I was rereading a few of my old drabbles, and I was reminded all over again about this aspect of the EU.

Right?? I still really enjoy the JA trilogy, and Kyp's role pre-NJO, but beyond that . . . eh, I can give or take him. But his character does have lots of potential. [face_thinking]

Thanks! :D

Aureate stumped me at first, too, but when it clicked, it clicked! [face_love]

I do love the YJK, I really do! It felt good revisiting that era here. [face_love]

Amen to that!! That's a plotline that's just ripe with potential. [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

NEW SKYWALKER BABY GIRL, YEP!! [face_love]

Oh my goodness, but that is just the best! Yes, you definitely might have to actually write that someday. ;)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaas to all of the Skywalker babies!! [face_love]

And as always, I can't thank you enough for reading and taking the time to leave such awesome feedback! [face_love] [:D]

It would seem so! [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

[:D]

They are the best, it's true. [face_love] I'm glad that you enjoyed them! :D

Thank you! The show did such a good job putting so many things into perspective about Obi-Wan's exile, and I enjoyed exploring that here as I could. :)

Too well! [face_laugh] :p

Lonely fear really says it all. =((

The prompts worked out perfectly. :D

Thanks! It is canon that Togruta are predatory, and that they use their montrals for echolocation, but I really do enjoy exploring their physiology even further when I can. It's just so interesting. [face_thinking]

I am such a Teneniel fan, and I loved giving her this moment to shine. [face_love]

That's such a good point about her being an anachronism both within the universe and from a meta-perspective! She doesn't quite fit, and that makes her a fascinating character who just kinda fizzled off into nothing following DE. [face_thinking]

[face_love]!

The legacy continues! [face_love]

Thank you so very much for reading, and taking time to leave your thoughts! [:D]

~ MJ
    @};-

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: This week's drabbles are set in my Song!verse - my AU, for those of you who may not know, where Anakin was not quite so dumb and Sithy and made better life choices during RotS - from a certain point of view, at least. More specifically, these are about Mara Jade, picking up after Her Still, Small Voice. (Yep, these are for you, Gabri! ;) [:D]) (From HSSV, further details on Mara's rather unusual relationship with Darth Maul can be found in Let Every Little Fracture Shatter and Blooms in Adversity.)

• “An Old Song, Re-Sung” | The one that started it all! A complete RoTS AU short story where, and I quote: Anakin is not dumb and Sithy. From a certain point of view, at least. [face_mischief]

• “Her Still, Small Voice” | The sequel to AOSRS. A Mara Jade origins story that is, unfortunately, on hiatus.

• "Even Without a Voice" | My answer to the 2018 DDC. Ahsoka's companion story to Anakin's, picking up right from her leaving the Jedi Order through just after the subverted events of RoTS.

• "In That There That Isn't Here" | This is something a little different for me. A Sintas Vel diary I started for the 2020 DDC. This is, as of now, another incomplete WIP, but one that I hope to start up again someday.

• "All That's Unsung" | A complete short story, set 3 years post-RoTS. Featuring Anakin and Padmé trying to have a date night, and Rex and Ahsoka babysitting the toddler twins.

• "So Few Things" | A WIP novel, set five years post-RoTS, focusing on Bly/Aayla Secura after the subverted events of Order 66.

• "Color Me Pink" | A complete, goofy short story written for the 2020 April Fools Challenge, featuring the preteen twins and Mara Jade building their lightsabers, set about 13 years post-RoTS. It mainly focuses on one of my OCs, Rhysa, and her relationship with Ezra Bridger. With bonus married and happy Aayla Secura/Bly on the side.

• "We Claim Our Own Landscape" | A WIP short story, set about 20 years post-RoTS, where Han meets the parents.

Then, various odds and ends can be found in “The Rest is Silence”, "Our Love of Constellations", "Cut Into Little Stars", and "The Courage of Stars".

[face_love]

Week III: "Sunlight Warm Upon My Face"

XI. Unravel

The little girl was a silent presence, lurking just beyond her dressing room door.

Padmé gently tied off the last of Leia’s braids with a ribbon, humming softly all the while. This was an old tradition between them, just as it had once been with her own mother. Patiently, she waited, and when Mara finally found her courage – with her chin tilted and her green eyes fixed firmly ahead – Leia happily scooted to the side to make room for her, even as Padmé smiled in welcome. “You have such beautiful hair, Mara. May I braid yours, too?”

Hesitantly, Mara nodded, and came closer.

XII. Verisimilitude

It wasn’t the same.

Yet no matter how fervently Maul swore that fact for truth in his mind (how many truths had been unreliable to him before?), his awareness of the girl’s presence was still enough to steal his breath away. (All those black little seeds, planted by an exacting gardener to be cultivated towards cruel ends.) Yet she had been spared before such foul fruits could be reaped, whereas he . . .

. . . knowing that it was almost time (and Kenobi had promised to bring the aubrett along), Maul put on the kettle for tea (in resignation, of course, not anticipation), and prepared to receive his guests.

XIII. Cocoon

Some nights, his voice spoke in her dreams.

At the very least, it wasn’t actually his voice – Healer Lak had confirmed that much. No; what she heard was a memory (who’s memory?), a fragment (from where?), but not a premonition (a promise) – never that.

Yet when she doubted (feared), Mara instinctively found herself reaching out, anchoring herself in the here and now with Master Skywalker’s roiling, supernova presence; with Leia’s unwavering glow; with Luke’s sun-bright warmth.

Drowsily, she felt Luke reach back, and – wrapping herself tightly in their light – Mara felt safe enough to close her eyes again.

XIV. Rend

“You cut me to the quick, Jade, and I’m never ever going to recover.”

“Oh, stop being so dramatic, Ezra!”

“But, Leia -”

“ - you better be glad that Mara got to you first. She’s nicer than I am.”

“How about you, Luke? Back me up here, buddy!”

“Oh, I know better than that.”

“Aw, c’mon! I’m already a doomed man once my master finds out, so at the very least - ”

“ - are you finished yet? If you ask nicely, we’ll help make sure that Master Dume never knows.”

“ . . . fine, Jade – please?”

“That’s better.”

XV. Unorthodox

The second lightsaber fit her hand as if it was always meant to be. Together, the dual crystals sang in harmony as she cycled through the katas Master Tano had shown her. Fluidly transitioning from one form to the next, she felt like a dancer moving to a rhythm only she could hear, until -

- she opened her eyes to catch Luke’s smile. Her perception of him – that ever constant warmth – rippled like sunlight over the water.

“Would you like a sparring partner?”

Mara felt a thrum of anticipation as she saluted him with her shoto blade. “You’re on, Skywalker.”

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I never knew how much I missed this 'verse, until ... yum! First, Padme and Leia having a mom-daughter moment, which is too sweet, and then Leia welcoming Mara into that warm scene. :) Cocoon ... I love how she feels enfolded and safe in the Skywalkers' glow. Rend [face_laugh] .. the banter is too fun!
    Then Unorthodox brings together so much of what I adore about Luke and Mara, how they spar verbally and otherwise yet under it all, there is such an undeniable oomphy connection. [face_love]

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see Mara in all of this and with Luke, Leia, Padmé

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Okay, this is how Dathomiri culture should be portrayed. (I last read CoPL when it first came out and maybe I'm not doing it justice, but after I read it I promptly gave my new hardcover copy to the library and pretty much gave up on SW books until I happened upon HoT on the library shelves, so - yeah, I don't have the best memories of Dathomir or its inhabitants)

Get 'em, Teneniel :cool:

lol, Mirax and Booster crack me up

There's a very old crack fic that I love which includes a scene wherein Wedge asked how Corran fell in love with Mirax, and Corran thinks very hard and eventually comes up with, "Well, she's Corellian. And she used to bring me Corellian food." So I kinda cackled reading this drabble :p (I like Mirax. Corran is a tool :p )

I don't remember this character at all and now I have to go read Wookieepedia :p But the drabble is excellent!

Honestly, growing up on Hapes, it's kind of a miracle that Tenel Ka turned out the way she did [face_thinking] I still think that Teneniel should have stayed on Dathomir, but Vi's right that Hapes has a lot of dramatic potential. Anyway, yeah, Tenel Ka being the person she is, of course she'd want to be seen for herself, not her position.

After all he put them through, Cade can just hush up and let them have this moment :p

Aw yeah, Skywalker daughter *fist pump*

My bebeh!Mara [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [:D]

Hair braiding! And little Mara being brave! I love it so much :_| [face_love]

Perfect metaphor is perfect [face_hypnotized] Also, whenever I read your Maul, I completely hear his voice from TCW. You have him absolutely down pat.

Mira, seriously, how did you make me care about Maul, let alone Maul and Mara? [face_love]

My poor traumatized baby :_| But such perfect descriptions of each of them, and how she handles these moments [face_love]

Of course it's Luke who reaches back for her [face_love]

lol, they're all so perfect, I especially love "Mara's nicer than I am" :p

Such beautiful writing [face_love] And Mara would definitely take on the challenge of learning to fight with two blades, it's so perfect [face_love]

If wailing about my bebeh!Mara gets results like this, I'm just going to keep doing it, you know [face_mischief] :p [:D]

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I have come late (as always) and I can't pick a favourite so far, although Ahsoka and Quinlan from the first set is probably in the lead. You write so beautifully.

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank you! I do so love writing in this 'verse, and I'm beyond happy that these drabbles resonated so well with you, too. [face_love] [:D]

Thank you! :D

So much about CoPL is . . . um, regrettable, to say the least. :rolleyes: o_O But it had such wonderful potential when it came to worldbuilding with Dathomir and Hapes, so I enjoy taking the bare bones of what's good and telling my own stories instead. [face_mischief] [face_love]

Teneniel is an absolute queen in every way, and I will never forgive the powers that be for how the NJO did her dirty. (I mean, is it realistic that Hapes completely smothered this once vibrant and strong woman and left her as a shell of herself? Sure. But that's not the story I want to read - or tell myself.)

They are the best. [face_love]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I don't remember many details about the RS books, honestly, but when I checked the spelling for rysecate on the Wook, it mentioned that Mirax made Corran a rysecate to officially mend their feud and to thank him for Chorax - which of course helped them move onto something more. I had completely forgotten about that, so I love that I unwittingly expanded on a canon moment without even meaning to. :p

This is a fact. ;)

Thank you! Vima sure is an interesting character - I betcha you'll enjoy that Wook page. [face_mischief]

Yep, Dathomir would have been such a healthier, happier home for all the Djo ladies, but . . . Hapes and dramatic potential. Vi's right. You can't beat it. [face_mischief]

Amen to that. This is the least that Cade owes his very long-suffering forebearers. :p

Of which there is a decided lack in canon - so we'll go right ahead and fix that, as fanficers do. [face_mischief]

[:D] [:D]

It felt so good to write this soft, feminine moment. Mara - and all these ladies - deserve nothing less! [face_love]

What can I say? I do love this absolute dumpster fire and his over-the-top flair for dramatics, I really do. [face_love]

I stumbled into their bond completely by accident with HSSV, and now that I am here I can never unsee their potential!

Thank you! [face_love] [face_love]

Of course. [face_love]

It's true and they know it. [face_mischief] :p

Aw, thanks! You're right! Mara would definitely take to the challenge of dual wielding, and I absolutely love writing that for her in this 'verse. [face_love]

I'd expect nothing less. ;) [face_mischief] :*

As always, thanks so much for reading and taking the time to leave your thoughts! [:D] [:D]

Aw, thank you! As always, I appreciate your kind words, and I'm thrilled that you have enjoyed what you've read so far. [face_love] [:D]

~ MJ @};-

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: More Song!verse drabbles, because I am weak. [face_mischief] [face_love]

My title is borrowed from "Joy", by Sleeping at Last. [face_love]

Week IV: "A Silver Lining Spilling Over"

XVI. Scintilla

Quinlan Vos couldn’t imagine a worse place than the sodden, muggy moon of Joah V for a siege. Force, but he wanted something to fight – he’d happily settle for the monotony of dismembering a battalion of droids, even, if it meant that he didn’t have to sit back and watch the clone pointedly not make nerf-eyes at his former apprentice. Or worse -

- from where they were hunched together over the tactical table, Aayla glanced at her commander – her lekku rippling almost too subtly to be noticed – and for that faint echo of something he sensed through their old bond . . .

Quinlan grit his teeth, and sighed.

XVII. Ephemeral

He could spend the rest of his life with her, yet she could not spend the rest of her life with him.

T’ra made peace with that knowledge long ago. If anything, her centuries had taught her that even the most grievous of wounds could be soothed by the passing of time. New forests ever grew over the ravages of fires past, a haven for light and life. Hate and anger and pain could all be forgotten, yet love – love . . .

Time had no hold on love, not when it was true.

So, looking into Amund’s eyes, she vowed to love him for what time they would have together and then beyond.

XVIII. Reverie

It was a balmy summer’s day on Ossus.

Nen Netl sat in her favorite grotto beyond the Temple, immersed in the life surrounding her, from the deep roots of the yuunyan trees to the soaring jungle canopy far above. Water flowed, fragrant with forest runoff, before cascading down the summit of the ravine to join the jewel-toned pool below. The juni flowers were in bloom, saturating the air with their scent.

Nen ever felt the Force best where it lived, and, conscious of something just beyond her reach, she reached further than her corporeal self . . .

. . . only to feel a whispered sense of nothingness echo back.

XIX. Serendipity

As Jedi delegates, they’d been invited to attend the official withdrawal of the GAR from Ryloth and the return of power to the Twi’Lek people.

He truly was honored to accompany Master Billaba and Master Windu, but Caleb couldn’t help but feel awkward with his role throughout the celebration. He wasn’t sure what it said about him as a Jedi that he was more used to seeing wars fought rather than won, and yet . . .

Across the gathering hall, he caught Hera Syndulla’s eye. Sympathetic to his plight, she made a face for Senator Taa’s admittedly . . . verbose speech, and, unwittingly, he smiled back.

XX. Ebullient

The excitement surrounding the new class of initiates saturated the Force with color and light. It was still a humbling time of learning for the Order as they recovered their balance anew, but there was something right about this, Obi-Wan couldn’t help but feel. Though the parents surrendering their young ones were understandably anxious, there was not that horrible anguish of loss marring what was otherwise a day of rejoicing.

Instead, he clapped a hand on Anakin’s shoulder and smiled reassuringly at Padmé as they watched the twins stop and wave before entering the Temple, taking their first step into a larger world.

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A lovely diversity of prompts and contexts showing lesser known and familiar characters

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Relentless, I tell you. o_O ;)

I love how Padmé continues this mother-daughter tradition with Leia and then brings Mara into it without hesitation. Found family. [face_love]

I love these two and their unlikely bond so much. [face_love] And the metaphor of the black seeds and Palpatine as the twisted gardener continues to be such excellent and evocative writing.

Of course it's resignation. o_O

Perfect, gorgeous descriptions of Mara's perception of her Skywalker family, I love it so much. [face_love]

Awwww [face_love]

This is 100% Ezra :p

[face_laugh] The whole exchange is perfect, and I can hear everyone's voices clearly, but omigosh how I love this part. [face_love]

Mara is a loyal friend, but she's also gonna let you know when you're being an idiot. [face_mischief]

Rippled like sunlight over water is just a lovely turn of phrase, and I love the allusion to Mara's dancer's grace and the fact that she and Luke are already so attuned to one another.

This is the quality OTP goodness I am here for. [face_mischief] (Also, that shoto blade is perfect for her.)

Lolol, I love Quinlan's voice here. I enjoyed every bit of his sass in SFT, so of course I'm happy to see it here, too. [face_mischief] (And Aayla/Bly! [face_love])

=(( The simplicity of this statement is part of what makes it so heartbreaking, I think.

I love this. Such profound and beautiful imagery.

Nen! :D Your descriptions of Ossus are absolutely gorgeous, btw. I know there are somewhat conflicting accounts in Legends of what the surface of Ossus would have been like in this time period, but I love your depiction of it so much that it's become my headcanon, and it's how I view Ossus in my own happy AU. (Or at least the part where the temple is... hmm, *rambling thoughts ahead* maybe if there are still plenty of barren parts on this world, it might be cool to see how the Ossus Project from Legacy would have turned out if it hadn't been sabotaged... [face_thinking])

Sensing (or not sensing) her Yuuzhan Vong connection? [face_thinking] You already know I'm super intrigued by this. [face_mischief]

Caleb and Hera, eeeeee! I love it (and them) so much! [face_love]

I am totally here for this approach to Jedi training. Let the kids keep their families and their attachments and then also make new attachments and new families within the Jedi, and everyone is interconnected and harmonious, I looooooove it. [face_love]

Eeeeeee! [face_love] Perfect use of Obi-Wan's ANH dialogue is perfect. =D=

These are all so good, Mira! I will never ever tire of reading your Song!verse stories. [face_love] Excellent use of the prompts; I can't wait for more! [:D]

Kahara, Gabri_Jade and Mira_Jade like this.
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Mira_Jade What a beautiful collection of drabbles this is shaping up to be=D=

I am always in awe of how much emotion you can evoke and convey in such a short amount of space. Your drabbles are true works of art. Each one so carefully crafted. It is incredible.

And, of course, you can always tear at my heartstrings with your words and your characters.

Some of my highlights:

Tatooine's sunsets are definitely a beautiful and iconic bit of Star Wars imagery with the two suns, so it makes sense that would be the only thing that Anakin would miss about Tatooine. We certainly know he doesn't miss the sand[face_whistling]

Then that coming full circle with Obi-Wan's realization here:

That is just so poignant and heart wrenching in the best way.

The imagery of the light versus the dark here just feels so poignant and deep.

This feels so true to how Beru and Owen would think while raising Luke. They are probably constantly hoping that Luke won't turn out like his father in so many ways, and, yet in many ways, Luke does take after Anakin so that must be terrifying and hard for them. But at the same time there love for Luke shines through because if they didn't love Luke, they wouldn't worry about him so much.

Oh, this was so powerful to read. I am in love with the idea of Leia watching the adventures of Obi-Wan and Anakin during the Clone Wars and being able to have a sense of the true heroes they were for the Republic for so many years. And I love the idea too that Bail is going to ensure that Bail knows the truth abut the Clone Wars, the Republic, Obi-Wan, and Anakin despite the lies that the Emperor tries to spin. That bit of defiant, principled truth just epitomizes who Bail is and why he was such a perfect adoptive father for Leia. You just said so much in so few words here. It is just breathtaking.

And I think those are the core questions and tragedy of Star Wars (especially the PT) summed up in a neat little bow. Your drabbles really know how to cut to the heart of things in the best way.

Wonderful job as always constructing drabbles of beauty and truth[:D]