main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi From Tatooine...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Bodhran777, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhran777

Bodhran777 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2019
    Hello everyone! Excuse me while I shake the dust out of my datapad here...

Ok, that's better. Hi! Glad to see there's a nice forum here. I'm a long-time fan of the trilogies, a collector, and have even worked alongside several characters from the movies while working for the Mouse at one time. I rant, rave, discuss, roleplay, swing lightsabers, etc., so I'm excited to be here. Don't be a stranger, I'm happy to chat.

2. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Hey and welcome @Bodhran777! Hope you enjoy your time here ;) I'd recommend the WNU (welcome new users) interview thread for learning more about other users or being interviewed yourself!

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome @Bodhran777 !!! You Role Play......you have my attention!! :p

I am a collector, I swing sabers, I rave, and I often rant! Seems we may have some things in common!! Did you want to RPG while here? I can guide you with that one! Worked for the Mighty Mouse? :eek: And worked with movie characters? That sounds pretty cool!!

What were you doing on Tatooine? o_O

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @Adalia-Durron I'm actually working on getting in on an RP at the moment, but I'll take all the help I can get. Been a while since I RP'd, so I've gotta get back into the swing of it. Working for the Mouse was interesting, and tough. Though I met my wife there. She actually ran into Maul at Subway once. Terrified her, but apparently he likes chicken teriyaki (who knew!).

Here for work, but we'd rather be on Yavin. Pay is good for now, so no complaints there, other than the usual about sand :anakin:

afterlight and Adalia-Durron like this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Bodhran777 Welcome aboard the JCF!!! Please let us know if you have any questions about navigating the forums.

That's interesting. Do you have any cool stories to share?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  6. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @Bazinga'd I'm sure I have some, stashed somewhere in my brain or phone. My wife worked at Hollywood Studios and was constantly running into SW actors. She got chased down Hollywood Boulevard by advancing First Order troopers on her way to work once. Another time, my parents came to visit and my mom, who was riding a scooter due to foot issues, got stopped by First Order troopers who had a bit too much fun inspecting the horn button to make sure it worked correctly.

I think most people don't realize that Disney is basically it's own city centered around the Magic Kingdom. There are tunnels all under the park, and there's everything from laundry services and food courts to barber shops down there. It's all cast member exclusive of course, but it was fun ducking in to a hidden stairway, taking a tunnel across the park, and popping up on the other side of the park to avoid crowds.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats awesome. I had a friend who was a cast member a long time ago, and he told me similar stories. But I did also hear that Disney has some crazy rules for its Park employees as well.

8. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @Bazinga'd Oh yeah, there's plenty of rules, from hair styles to how often you smile. No pics backstage, character cast members have their social media watched pretty close to make sure they don't talk about their characters in the wrong way, schedules are wacky...I disliked the costuming too. Most outfits were uncomfortable, and if your sizing was not "standard", getting fresh changes could be tough. I had the same 5 sets of clothes for 6 months, with only 1 pair of pants that fit me during that time. You can let Disney clean your costumes for you, but then you have to hope they have more of your size. I always washed mine myself because they NEVER had more of my pant size (which isn't even a weird pant size, I might add!).

Of course, there were definite perks to working there, free park entry being a BIG one, and cast member discounts everywhere. Cast Connections was also nice. It's a big warehouse store where you can purchase anything that was overstocked, from food to souvenirs. I'm a hopelessly-addicted pin collector, and that place gave me access to pins I'd otherwise never get my hands on, like marathon pins. All in all, it was one of the toughest jobs I've had, but there's a lot of fond memories from it too. As I said before, I met my wife there, so that definitely counts for something!

9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Fascinating....I wonder how things have changed or at least how they work at Galaxy's Edge.

10. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    Can't say I know much about cast members at Galaxy's Edge, but I know the new area is awesome. My wife and I are travel agents now, and Disney is our specialty. My in-laws just finished a "scouting mission" for us and sent back loads of info. From what I can see and understand, it's pretty incredible what they managed to build there, and there's plenty of immersion to take you out of the park and into the movie. Next time we go, I may have to drop in to Savi's Workshop and leave with a custom lightsaber. Just gotta be careful flying home with the BB-8 soda bottles, since they kinda look like hand grenades. TSA makes people check em and likely have to search lots of bags because of the design.

Adalia-Durron and Bazinga'd like this.
  11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Travel Agent huh?

Starts plotting.

Which RPG are you jumping on?

Like Baz said, any questions about this place, just ask. We and everyone who says hello are happy to help out!! There is the option of 'being adopted' by a long time user who will be your guide. @Lady Belligerent can help you there in the Adoptions thread at the top of the page! ;)

12. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    Well, I'm the assistant, technically. My wife is the actual agent. But yeah, we help plan people's vacations. Just sent a family to Disney World, got another coming up after Christmas, and sending one couple on a Disney Cruise to the UK and Ireland (jealous about this one). We love planning Disney trips, but do Universal, cruise lines, and Sandals too.

As for RPGs, I'm set up on A Father's Fate, just waiting startup now. I find alternate universes interesting. If I had even more time for writing, I'd probably try writing alternate reality stuff as a hobby, especially post-apocalyptic stuff.

I'll keep the adoption stuff in mind. Kinda surprised it hasn't been called "taking a padawan". :p

13. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    We have Sith here too, and we don’t have padawans. :p

Welcome to the community! I happy to help and pleased you enjoy RP.

14. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    Fair point @Lady Belligerent. Didn't consider that. Guess there's a mixed group of Jedi, Sith, bounty hunters, and so on here, despite the forum name. :p

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope you're having a good time so far

16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
  17. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @I Are The Internets I am so far. Everyone's been very welcoming, which is nice. Not something you find on some forums, unfortunately, so thank you everyone.

18. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @Tython Awakening I'd say this is a great start so far! Looking forward to it as well.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    @Bodhran777 Just a piece of friendly advice. We generally frown on multiple consecutive posts. But we do have an edit feature and the end of the post that you can use for up to an hour after your initial post to add additional comments.

20. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @Bazinga'd Ah, I didn't realize. Otherwise I would have consolidated. The second reply came in as I was typing the first. Thanks for the heads up, I will put it to use in the future.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Hello there @Bodhran777 and welcome to the forums - I hope you will enjoy it here :)

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003

Shes right, we have to share, its interesting. We manage to co habit the place! :p Who knew?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  24. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Nice to meet yah! I can’t believe that Disney can spurge on so much spectacle... but not give workers multiple sets of essential clothing. It’s just... ugh.

25. Bodhran777

Nov 1, 2019
    @AllTheSingleMaras Well they do give out multiple costume sets (up to 5 complete sets at a time). I don't know if my situation was common or not, but it was my personal impression. Although, considering my role in food and beverage, you would have thought they would have kept plenty of clean costumes handy in all sizes, considering how dirty you can get on a shift. Pretty sure there were days I came home smelling like a grease pan, and there was one time I got a pot of marinara sloshed all over my front. Got behind the apron and all, straight to my undershirt...

Ah, good times :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.