main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga From The Ashes -- AotC AU. Chapter 27 now available in PDF format!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Estora, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estora

Estora Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    Title: From The Ashes
    Author: Estora
    Timeframe: AotC onwards
    Characters: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padmé Amidala
    Genre: AU, H/C, angst, action/adventure
    Summary: Anakin jumped after Padmé on Geonosis, and in that split second, the entire course of the galaxy?s future was changed...One moment. One choice. A lifetime of difference. Anakin/Padmé, Anakin/Obi-Wan friendship.
    Notes: So, this is my first Star Wars fanfic. AU has always fascinated me, and whenever I watch AotC, I always thought that Anakin would jump after Padmé. In the films, we know he did not, but this story is my personal exporation of what could have happened. This story is also being posted over at FanFiction.Net, however it is a SLASH version. This version is not, as I am aware that these forums do not allow it. If you are more interested in the slash version, click here, however it is extremely slow-building, so the versions will be pretty much identical for a long time. That aside, I hope this story is well-received! If you have any comments, positive or negative, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Notes #2: PLEASE READ! This is very important. I have made the decision to stop posting FTA chapter-by-chapter on the forums and instead have made them available on PDF Format. If you are interested in the files, please email me at estora @ y7mail . com and I will send them to you. Available at the moment are:

- Prologue to Chapter Twenty-Two (25 chapters, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Three (1 chapter, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Four (1 chapter, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Five (1 chapter, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Six, part one (1 chapter, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Six, part two (1 chapter, 1 document)
    - Chapter Twenty-Seven (1 chapter, 1 document) <-- NEW!

Thank you!!

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by George Lucas. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

FROM THE ASHES
    Prologue

?Hold on!?

It is more due to reflex than a case of following his Master?s orders that Anakin Skywalker grasps a handle tightly as another hit from the droid army jerks the vehicle. Twisting around, he makes sure Padmé, too, has a firm grip. Her smile of grim determination makes her look beautiful, despite the dust and blood she is covered in. He longs to hold her, to kiss her, but Anakin instead only returns the smile, trying to convey as much of his love into it as he can, knowing ? fearing ? that Obi-Wan is too close by to risk doing anything else.

He hopes his angel understands.

Although he feels exhaustion creeping in around the corners of his consciousness, it is cast aside by the rush of adrenalin when he observes the battle below. His mechanics? mind and his strategic superiority quickly calculate the battle, and his eyes lock onto the Separatists constructions. ?Aim right above the fuel cells,? he calls to the clones, and they fire as soon as they are in range.

True to his prediction, the fuel cells explode and the hideous war weapon collapses, destroying a large mass of the Separatist droid army, as they zip ahead of the battle. Anakin smirks triumphantly, relishing his own personal victory. Obi-Wan faces him, grinning widely. ?Good call, my young Padawan!? he shouts, and Anakin is glad his Master twists away again before he can see the flush of pride that has spread across the Padawan learner?s face.

The battle and the sound, the scent, of death are quickly left behind them as they speed ahead.

?Look, over there!? Obi-Wan suddenly cries, pointing. A small speeder, flanked by two fighters, tear across the sand dunes. From the distance, it is difficult to make out the figure, but through the Force, Anakin can sense them.

?It?s Dooku,? Anakin says. ?Shoot him down!?

?We?re out of ordnance,? is the reply. Anakin pushes away the burst of frustration and the paranoid feeli

2. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    I really like the start- Awesome concept and can't wait to see where it goes. Please add me to the PM list for this, if you have one? Thanks!

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, yes! (But I warn you, if you have Dooku kill Obi because Ani is not there, I may not follow along ;) ).

Regardless, love the way you're writing this - very vivid.

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I really like this twist with Anakin. Please keep going. =D=

5. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh, I'm so happy that you decided to post it here, too! Since I'll be following the story on ff.net, I can't wait to see how you made the two version differ;)
    (If you are confused now, my username is ObiBettina7 on ff.net).
    Keep going[:D]

6. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    Review Replies!

JediMaster Jessica: Thank you for reviewing! I'm glad you enjoyed the start, and I hope you like Chapter One!

Valairy_Scot: Haha, don't worry...if Obi was killed then this wouldn't be much of a story, would it? XD Thank you for your kind comments, and thanks for your review!

Sara_Kenobi: Thanks for reviewing! I've sort of been planning the "twist" for ages now, but have only recently found the inspiration to start writing. I.e. post-exams. XD

GeneralKenobi7: Well, hello there my dear! What a delight it is to see you here. Haha, the two version will be pretty much the same for a long time - as I said, the slash over on the FFNet version is extremely slow-building. This version, however, is the "censored" version for language, so you might see a few differences there. Thank you for reviewing!

FROM THE ASHES
    Chapter One

The Duel With Dooku

Anakin Skywalker falls.

Obi-Wan Kenobi watches in horror as his Padawan lands awkwardly on the rugged terrain. The scream of denial is frozen in his throat ? he can do nothing, nothing, as Anakin disappears into the distance, and he despises himself for it.

The only thing he truly wants is to order the clones to turn the ship around.

Which he knows he can?t do.

Sand stings his eyes, making them water ? or at least, that?s what he tells himself when he forces himself to look away, and focuses on Dooku again, to plan his attack. It is with a sickening jolt, somewhere behind his navel, that he realises fearfully he can?t do this without his Padawan. He meant what he said to Anakin.

I can?t take Dooku alone! I need you!

Feelings that he knows he needs to release into the Force begin to blur his vision. Shock ? even though he and Anakin have had their differences, he has always been able to count on him being there. Always. Anger, for the abandonment. Jealousy, that Anakin has chosen the Senator over his Master of ten years.

I don?t care! I can?t leave her!

The words, frantic and panicked words of a love-struck boy, mercilessly torment him. Anakin doesn?t care; at least not enough to stay by his Master?s side. Should it hurt this much? he thinks. Should it hurt this much to know that Anakin cares more about a girl than the outbreak of war, than the millions of lives that will be affected? That he cares more about the beautiful Senator of Naboo than his place in the Order? Than Obi-Wan?

Obi-Wan can?t blame the wind anymore.

?Sir??

The clone pilot is unsure of what to do, having lost two passengers ? three including the clone that fell with Padmé ? and is looking to Obi-Wan for orders. How easy it would be to tell him to forget about the Count of Serenno and to go back for Anakin. How easy, just two words: go back. He supposes this is exactly how Anakin must have felt.

But Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Jedi Knight, through and through, and he knows what he has to do. He uses his coarse palm to dry his eyes. ?Keep going,? he grimly commands, his heart breaking, and he feels like throwing up as the pilot obeys. It is the hardest thing he has ever said in his life.

Oh, Anakin?

He leaps off the ship before it explodes, killing the remaining clones, and tears after Dooku into the hangar. Azure lightsaber drawn and humming dangerously in the shadows, Obi-Wan slows to a stop before Dooku. The air is silent and heavy between the two men, and in that instant, there is only one thing stopping each other from attacking ? the only thing they mutually respect and have in common: Qui-Gon.

Obi-Wan slows his harsh breathing and keeps his lightsaber at the ready, but Dooku just stares back at him calmly, even a little mockingly. The Count?s eyebrows rise.

?Alone, Master Kenobi??

His smooth tone echoes around the hangar. Obi-Wan is determined to not let him see how the words affect him, but Anakin?s abandonment is fresh in his mind ? is too difficult to release ? and he feels his lips press into a thin line. He does not answer ?

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Screw duty, is the other.

That seems more like the choice Anakin would pick. At least at that point in time.

And poor Obi - what a time to have reality hit him in the face.

If you have a PM list for this, please add me

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

It is with a sickening jolt, somewhere behind his navel, that he realises fearfully he can?t do this without his Padawan. He meant what he said to Anakin.

Feelings that he knows he needs to release into the Force begin to blur his vision. Shock ? even though he and Anakin have had their differences, he has always been able to count on him being there. Always. Anger, for the abandonment. Jealousy, that Anakin has chosen the Senator over his Master of ten years.

I don?t care! I can?t leave her!

The words, frantic and panicked words of a love-struck boy, mercilessly torment him. Anakin doesn?t care; at least not enough to stay by his Master?s side. Should it hurt this much? he thinks. Should it hurt this much to know that Anakin cares more about a girl than the outbreak of war, than the millions of lives that will be affected? That he cares more about the beautiful Senator of Naboo than his place in the Order? Than Obi-Wan?

Obi-Wan can?t blame the wind anymore.

That is stunningly powerful - I'm in awe of your ability to weave a tale and draw us into it. Your choice of tense is absolutely prefect as well. I hardly breathed throughout. In your hands, this often seen (in the absolute basics, of course) became new and fresh and chock full of tension.

And Yoda's green beam - a masterful way of ending the chapter.

Bravo! Magnificent job! =D=

Oh - since you're not killing Obi, if you do PMs, please add me. [face_praying]

9. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Ah, yes, if you have a PM list, please add me!

I think I'll make it my challenge to find out things you wrote differently through the course of the story then, that will be fun;)

And I can only repeat: I absolutely [face_love] your writing-style!

10. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    Here is the PM list (as of 7 January 2010):

JediMasterJessica
    Valairy_Scot
    GeneralKenobi7
    KELIA

If you wish to be added or removed, just drop a note. Thanks, guys! Chapter Two ("Sand And Ash") will be posted later today. Unfortunately I can't send PMs yet because I haven't had 20 posts. *Scowls* Until then, here's a sneak peek:

Obi-Wan can?t have taken Dooku alone. He has to have waited and distracted him somehow.

Anakin finds himself pleading, stepping into the LAAT/i and grasping at a handle.
    Please don?t face Dooku alone, Master. Please, please wait for me ? I won?t fail you, I promise?

The nasty voice in the back of his mind laughs.
    But you?ve already failed him, it hisses. He?ll be furious at you for deserting him?

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've only read the first post, but I must say this is amazing! Please add me to your PM list. I know I'm going to love this story! =D=

12. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    Review Replies!

KELIA: Thank you for reviewing! I?m glad you?re enjoying it so far.

Valairy_Scot: Your comments really mean a lot to me ? I read your ?What The Heart Hides? on FFNet and I absolutely fell in love with it and your writing style, so thank you so much for your review. My choice of tense was a bit of a gamble, actually, and I still don't know how it'll turn out ? I usually only write with present tense for one-shots or for second-person. (Sometimes I find myself slipping into second person or past tense?) Thanks again!

GeneralKenobi7: Haha! Sounds like fun. ^_~ There won?t be many changes for the first ten chapters, at the very least, so you don?t have to look too hard. Thanks for reviewing!

VaderLVR64: Thank you for reviewing! I?ll add you to the PM list.

PM List:

JediMasterJessica
    Valairy_Scot
    GeneralKenobi7
    KELIA
    VaderLVR64
    Sara Kenobi

13. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    FROM THE ASHES
    Chapter Two

Sand And Ash

It doesn?t take Anakin long to reach Padmé?s unconscious figure. Feet sinking into the sand, he falls beside her figure and tenderly pulls her body towards him. She groans into his chest and he fights back tears ? tears of relief, that she is all right, and tears of fear, that he could have lost her. ?Padmé,? he whispers, brushing sand out of her hair. ?Padmé, are you all right??

She groans again and opens her eyes, blinking up at Anakin?s face. ?Oh, Anakin?? she breathes, a smile lighting her delicate features. ?I?m?I?m fine.?

Those few seconds feel like a perfect slice of heaven; a moment as beautiful as their time in the lush setting of Naboo. He could stay this way forever, just holding his angel in his arms, content to forget about the war and bloodshed.

But the moment can?t last forever. Reluctantly he stands and pulls Padmé slowly to her feet. She sways a little and he steadies her as she looks around. ?I was so frightened for you, Padmé,? he confesses quietly. She holds his hand tightly in response, but a small frown creases her forehead.

?Where?s Obi-Wan? What about Dooku??

And then, reality rushes back.

Anakin feels himself shudder and tries to hold back a gag. He barely notices the clone trooper running up to them, or Padmé?s concerned arms gripping his biceps ? all he can see, in his mind?s eye, is Obi-Wan?s pale face, shattered with shock and betrayal, as he jumped from the transport.

?I?I couldn?t leave you,? Anakin whispers. ?Obi-Wan is ? Obi-Wan won?t take Dooku alone. He?ll wait for me. I know he will.?

Even as the words fall from his lips he knows they aren?t true. Of course Obi-Wan can?t take Dooku alone, he said so himself ? but he will anyway.

A glance at Padmé?s face tells him that she doesn?t believe him either. ?We have to get to that hangar,? she says firmly. Turning to face the clone, who has been waiting patiently for the two secret lovers to finish, she asks, ?Is there some form of transport we can use to get there??

?We can flag down a ship,? the clone confirms.

?Good. Gather as many troops as you can ? we need to get there! Hurry!?

She sounds like the Senator she was born to be, determined, powerful, and in control, and Anakin is amazed, once more, with her grace and resolution. As Anakin, Padmé and the clone jog off in the direction of the hangar, it takes all he can to hide the ever growing shame that is threatening to consume him.

He doesn?t regret coming back for Padmé, he thinks as he watches her. Of course he doesn?t. He only regrets that it has been at the expense of Obi-Wan. But he?s going there now, he convinces himself. He?ll be there for Obi-Wan, he?ll make it in time to help him, to face Dooku. They?re making good time, even on foot, and as they flag down a transport, hope begins to take over the growing guilt.

Obi-Wan can?t have taken Dooku alone. He has to have waited and distracted him somehow.

Anakin finds himself pleading, stepping into the LAAT/i and grasping at a handle. Please don?t face Dooku alone, Master. Please, please wait for me ? I won?t fail you, I promise?

The nasty voice in the back of his mind laughs. But you?ve already failed him, it hisses. He?ll be furious at you for deserting him?

Unexpectedly, pain rips through his left shoulder and right thigh, one after the other, and a startled cry is torn from his throat. Gasping for air, he falls to his knees and leans into Padmé?s embrace. ?Anakin! What is it?? he hears her ask.

?Something?s wrong,? he manages to grind out. ?Obi-Wan ? something?s ? can we go any faster??

?I?m sorry, sir, but this is as fast as we can go.?

Although he knows, in reality, that the trip will only take a few minutes, a few seconds feel like hours. His head pounds, his terrified heartbeat drowning out the roaring engine. It feels like his body is burning, and he wants writhe but he?s being

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, my goodness. [face_worried] I'm glad Obi-Wan seems to be alright.:p That was a great action encounter.=D= Please add me to your PM list as well.

I think I caught your new post too. Great job. I wonder what will happen with Obi-Wan and Anakin now. =D=

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ohmigosh you just BLEW me away with this...

Very effective use of repetition: I can?t take Dooku alone! I need you!

He wants to go back to Obi-Wan, to fall to his knees beside his Master and sob, beg for forgiveness, to tell him he?s sorry for abandoning him. His pride is the only thing stopping him ? that, and Master Yoda?s gimmer stick.

But most of all, the one thing truly stopping him from returning to his Master is the guilt; the knowledge that he simply doesn?t deserve to be at Obi-Wan?s side.

Not after what he did.

Wow - just wow! Sigh...if I could only write like this. =D=

?He?ll be all right, Ani. You?ll see.?

Anakin shakes his head. ?You couldn?t feel what I felt. He?s hurt. Really hurt. I should?ve been here, Padmé, I shouldn?t have left him!? he says roughly. ?I should have been here! I knew he couldn?t take Dooku on his own, but I?I??

But I chose you instead.

The enormity of Anakin's grief and despair just infuse this chapter - the consequences of choices made. I'm left with the feeling that Anakin grew up rather suddenly in those few anxious moments. Even I feel sorry for him here.

Yet even as Padmé holds him, acting as his lifeline and temporary absolution while he can feel Obi-Wan?s agony pulsating through the Force, he finds himself desperately wishing for Obi-Wan?s embrace instead.

Heartbreaking...that feels so - so human, and so right. But he's deprived himself of what he needs now - and he knows it.

~~

Re your note about writing in the present tense - one does tend to slip from time to time, doesn't one? But there is nothing like this tense to give such a sense of urgency and when used well, as it is here, it's tremendously effective.

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    But I chose you instead.

What a great chapter! Very powerful! =D=

17. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    Review Replies!

Sara_Kenobi: Glad you enjoyed, and thank you for reviewing! I've added you to the PM list, and I hope you like these two chapters!

Valairy_Scot: Thank you so much for your comments - they really mean a lot to me! I hope you enjoy Chapters 3 and 4!

VaderLVR64: Thank you!!

FROM THE ASHES
    Chapter Three

Altruism

The week following that terrible day is the hardest week Anakin thinks he has ever endured.

The Council has yet to speak to him ? they have been kept occupied by the war ? but Anakin knows the time will be soon, and he dreads it with his very being. He has too much to answer for, though he refuses to think about it. It is inevitable that he will be cast out of the Order.

Worse, Padmé is disappointed in him. She hasn?t admitted it in so many words, but it?s so obvious that now he can?t be around her for too long without feeling like throwing up from the guilt that has settled in the pit of his (often empty) stomach. She has said nothing, yet he knows ? he can feel her emotions through the Force, the weight of her displeasure at his negligence of duty, radiating from her even as she holds him when he cries. Of course she would feel this way ? Senator Padmé Amidala, whose responsibility was always first and foremost to her duty and her people ? and Anakin feels like a selfish little child when he is near her.

He knows why she hasn?t said anything. He must look so pathetic and miserable to her, and she has always been so compassionate, so understanding; she may not like or approve of his actions, but she does understand what he is going through, and is trying to not make him feel even more poorly. His own guilt is punishment enough, for now.

However, these issues pale dramatically in comparison to the fact that Obi-Wan hasn?t yet woken up.

When first brought in, the Jedi?s condition was listed as ?critical? ? severe lightsaber wounds to left shoulder and right thigh, muscle spasms, nerve and bone damage, arterial destruction, and heart palpitations. Since then, Anakin has hardly slept.

Although the wounds are healing and his heart beating normally again, the medics have warned that there is a chance Obi-Wan may be in chronic pain for the rest of his life, and it is likely he will walk with a limp, from the nerve and bone lightsaber wounds.

The cost, Anakin thinks bitterly, for his selfish actions has been high, far too high, and he doesn?t want to consider just how much higher it could have been.

He doesn?t think he could stand it.

Anakin, why??

Why what? Why did he abandon him? Why did he leave him to his fate, to face death? Anakin doesn?t have an answer, not really.

I needed to save Padmé. I needed to make sure she was fine, I thought she was more important ? I love her, I couldn?t leave her?

Weak excuses.

Padmé had been fine.

Anakin hates these thoughts. He hates the way they torment him in his every waking and sleeping moment, taunting and truthful. He can?t think about it, it hurts to much to remind himself ? he has to believe he made the right choice in going back for Padmé, because the alternative, that he deserted his Master for no reason and left him to almost certain death, is too cruel to live with.

Anakin has hardly left Obi-Wan?s side, even though he knows he doesn?t deserve to be there. He doesn?t like watching Obi-Wan?s face; sometimes he looks so still, so death-like, that it is all too easy to imagine that his Master has stopped breathing all together. He is clutching his Master?s limp, clammy hand as if that alone is his anchor in life when a tall shadow falls across him. Anakin doesn?t need to look up to know that the intruder isn?t a medic.

?How is he??

Anakin finds it strange to see an uncharacteristically concerned Master Windu. Truthfully, it is rather disconcerting. ?He hasn?t woken up yet,? he answers.

?Hmm.? Windu walks around the other side of the bed and crosses his arms over his chest. ?I need to speak with you, Skywalker. May we move somewhere mo

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Such beautiful writing that I'm awestruck. I love how Obi-Wan feels the need to protect Anakin while resenting it - even he's not capable of rising above his resentment (at least yet) but he will at least temper it for Anakin's sake.

Anakin's realization of what he might have lost and why is striking - and his need to stay beside Obi-Wan and his grief that Obi-Wan has pulled away from him is just perfect - he needs Obi-Wan at this time and yet it is his own fault that Obi-Wan can't give him what he wants and needs.

This breach seems irreparable - but time does heal all wounds. In this case - we don't really know. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

19. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    If he listens closely, he is sure he can hear the Force laughing at him.

(Or maybe it?s Master Yoda, the evil little troll.)

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Love how you worked that bit of humor in.

Poor Obi though :_| :_| :_|

Great updates

=D= =D= =D= =D=

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I really liked the conflicting emotions. Great updates! =D=

21. Estora

Dec 29, 2009
    Review Replies!

Valairy_Scot: I am truly honoured you consider my writing beautiful. Thank you so much for your review, and I'm very happy you're enjoying the story. Cheers!

KELIA: Haha! Thank you. I had fun with that. ^_~ Thank you for your review, and I hope you like this chapter!

Sara_Kenobi: Thank you for your review!!

FROM THE ASHES
    Chapter Five

Cold, Cold Heart

When Anakin comes back from breakfast ? which he only picked at, not really hungry ? he notices that Obi-Wan is awake, and propped up against two pillows into a sitting position. His left arm is cradled in a sling, and his right leg is elevated. Relief, and fear, grips Anakin?s chest as he moves closer slowly, giving Obi-Wan time to sense his presence through the Force; Obi-Wan doesn?t react, and only continues staring down at his hands in his lap without really seeing them.

?You?re awake,? Anakin says softly. ?How are you feeling??

Finally his Master looks up, and Anakin is floored by the haunted presence in his normally lively blue-green eyes. ?Well, I?ve definitely been better,? Obi-Wan says, his voice still hoarse. It is a typical Obi-Wan Kenobi response ? except that the usual light-hearted tone, or dry drawl, is completely absent, and Anakin is left with the feeling that this person before him is a completely stranger. ?How long was I out for??

?Just over a week.? Anakin feels like yelling in frustration when a dark and uneasy silence settles over them. He is desperate to do something, anything to show his Master that he?s been worried and that he cares about him ? anything to ease his own guilt. ?Do you need anything?? he asks. ?If you?re hungry I can get you something to eat.?

?No, I?m fine.?

He hates that dead tone his Master is speaking with. It?s unnatural, coming from him, and Anakin suppresses an involuntary shiver.

?Are you sure? I?ll be quick. Do you want to be moved someplace quieter? Or ??

?The healers spoke with me not too long ago,? Obi-Wan says, looking back down at his hands. ?They told me?? He trails off, but the sentence completes itself for Anakin.

?may be in chronic pain for the rest of his life?likely he will walk with a limp?nerve and bone damage?

It takes every ounce of his willpower to not turn and run out of there to flee the shame that hits him like an icy wave in the Force. Slowly, Anakin follows Obi-Wan?s gaze to his lap. Obi-Wan?s hands, although calloused from his years weilding a lightsaber, could have passed off for an aristocrat?s hands, elegant and steady, but now, as Anakin watches in trepidation and increasing horror, there are fine tremors running through them, creating the illusion of constant electrocution. Nerve damage, the voice in the back of his mind hisses. Muscle spasms. A fleeting image burns in his mind: Obi-Wan, struggling to find a firm grip on his lightsaber, as his enemies close in, unable to defend himself ? a crippled man who had once been one of the finest swordsmen in the Jedi Order. The image stays in his mind long after it fades from his sight, and Anakin feels sick. It shouldn?t be like this at all.

?You already knew, didn?t you.?

Anakin wrenches his eyes from Obi-Wan?s trembling hands, his thoughts broken. The tone is not accusatory, just defeated, and for some reason this makes Anakin irritated, even as he realises, guiltily, that he has no idea what to say.

Anakin?s silence is enough of a confession for Obi-Wan, who turns his head aside. ?Anakin, I?d?I?d like to be left alone for a little while.?

?But ??

?Please. Just ? leave me alone.?

?Will you be escorting me to Naboo?? Padmé asks, not long before she is due to depart. They are alone, and for this Anakin is grateful. No nosy Jedi Masters poking their noses into his business, least of all Windu (who he was sure would be here, just to spy on him). He takes a moment to admire her before answering, taking in her simple outfit that accentuates her figure. His eyes linger on her loose hair which

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Another fantastic post - Padme was so strong. I justhave to wonder if Anakin will let his rage be expressed - and if so, how? Or will guilt and shame defeat it?

Later that night, lying in his own tent, tossing and turning and twisting his braid around his fingers tightly, he realises with a sinking, painful heart that Obi-Wan has not called him ?Padawan? once.

Beautiful.

This Anakin *may* be on the verge of finding redemption (hmm, is that really the word I want?), but at the potential loss of his friend. The cost, indeed, is high.

Obi-Wan's reaction is perfectly in character considering his injuries. Let's hope he's not going to be in chronic pain the rest of his life.

23. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh no, you're posting so often, I missed several... anyway I still love the story and know I will continue to do so (though as a tip; if you're sending PMs it's always helpful for the readers if you include a link to the story).

Keep it coming :)

24. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Very powerful scenes. I'm happy that Anakin has chosen to follow the Jedi and hopefully be there for Obi-Wan. =D=

25. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Great story.

Can I please have a PM when you update?

Thanks

EG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.