main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Front page layout for a site

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by WormieSaber, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Hi there,

I am wondering, I wanted to change the front page layout of a film site I am currently building. Are there any sites that offer html designs for front pages?

Thanks in advance.

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    what i do is just look at various sites and if there's something i like, i look up the code and try to see if i can do it myself.

just take down the name of the site, what you liked about it and experiment.

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I think that's the best approach. What do you like when you see a front page? What makes you think, Hey, let's click in here.

I've just started being involved in a very good site, but one that I'd dismissed for a long time because I couldn't find my way around--the navigation from the front page is bad, largely because the menu items aren't clearly defined, and many of the prominent things I might have gone looking for are toward the bottom of the page. (I tend to look at what kind of fanfic is archived in a place first, and this site turns out to have a nice collection of well-beta'd fics, but up in the top left corner--pride of place--is a list of sort of "clubs" that have formed around favorite types of fanfic. And the clubs don't link to their favorite fics.)

Anyway, the two things about the front page that are important are that it is (a) attractive enough to make people want to look around and (b) clear enough in its navigational cues that it's easy to follow up on the urge to look around. What's the most prominent thing on your site? What do you think visitors would really like?

4. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I've seen a lot of Front Page template designs in various corners of the net. Some you pay for, some are free... Copy and paste the source, tinker, and see what you can come up with. That's an easy way, though. You can always just scan around the net until you find something intersting and use the same copy/paste idea. The templates are just easier to manipulate, usually.

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The one place I like for getting ideas is coolhompages.com. They have all sorts of examples either classified by type of site (corporate, personal, ezine, etc.) or how it was done (Flash, non-Flash, etc.):

CoolHomepages.com

6. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    it depends what kinda layout ur looking for, but real-bitch is a very cool community with great, great designers, and its FREE! i think the URL is: real-bitch.net but search on google and youll definately see them :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.