main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Frontiersman (Dear Diary Challenge) - Updated 8/4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Exeter, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    Interesting post. It raised a question though. Do all guys constantly talk about explosions?

Can't wait for the next post.

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Just came across this story and wanted to say that I love it! [face_love] Flacco Laxman is a fascinating, captivating narrator who manages to make his audience connect with him. The two droids, Jabberwocky and Malarkey, are so full of life too! I really like their personality quirks. :D

I can't help but wonder if some people back at headquarters have a gambling pool going on about the fate of the prisoners chosen for the HOPE programme. Laxman's comments about the power of the captors at Tartarus certainly makes it sound as though this is a possibility.

Would you please put me on your PM list? Thanks! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Loved the whole dialogue on being trapped in one's own head, and how evil acts are justified as means of survivial or even humane...

So insightful Ex, all that time in the big house for sticking your arm up inside a vending machine served your writing well [face_laugh]

4. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Valairy_Scot - Ah. What's that phrase from Star Trek about technical gobblygook - well, I can easily "hear" Spock or Data reciting all this.

When you can't say for sure, go with technobabble. My dad always made it work. Reminds me of this:

[image=http://imgur.com/1IvFf.gif]

And it sounds so plausible! ;)

Of course it's plausible! As Han would say, "Hey, it's me."

I should probably patent that paragraph. Wouldn't want any of those egghead types stealing my clever inventions. Like they know science.

HelloKelly - Interesting post. It raised a question though. Do all guys constantly talk about explosions?

I personally try to work in something explosion related into every conversation. It can make the segues a bit awkward, but that's pretty much what they made dynamite for.

Can't speak for every dude out there, though. Maybe ale can weigh in.

Can't wait for the next post.

Good to hear. I'll toss you on the PM list.

Valiowk - Just came across this story and wanted to say that I love it! [face_love]

Awesome! :D

Flacco Laxman is a fascinating, captivating narrator who manages to make his audience connect with him.

That's always a step in the right direction. For a first-person narrative, it's just about a prereq. And in a short "diary" format like this, you've gotta give someone to live vicariously through.

The two droids, Jabberwocky and Malarkey, are so full of life too! I really like their personality quirks.

That's fantastic to hear. Droids are always a tough sell. You want them to be endearing to the reader in some way, to elicit interest, but at the same time you have to be real careful not to sell them too hard to the point they come off as people wearing robot skin.

I can't help but wonder if some people back at headquarters have a gambling pool going on about the fate of the prisoners chosen for the HOPE programme.

[face_laugh] After picturing that, I can see Cap setting up a betting ring at Iderdex HQ. I might just have to sneak in a reference to something like that.

Of course, it's interesting that you mention prisoners. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? How are the others faring? Do they have mechanical sidekicks around to annoy them? Are their missions the same? Do their deals have the same terms?

Laxman's comments about the power of the captors at Tartarus certainly makes it sound as though this is a possibility.

It kind of does, doesn't it? This is another great point because it really illustrates how little we know about Iderdex. Why prisoners? Why Tartarus? What's their relationship with the Empire? And do the answers to those questions in any way change the shape and character of what Laxman is being asked to do?

We should learn a little bit more about Iderdex in a few chapters.

Would you please put me on your PM list? Thanks!

Absolutely! Glad to have you on board. Thanks for the comments!

ale - Nice colors. I'm getting all deja-vuey here. And that title, "Manager Emeritus"! Almost gives you an air of respectability in these parts.

Loved the whole dialogue on being trapped in one's own head, and how evil acts are justified as means of survivial or even humane...

It can be a powerful think, to get drunk off your own righteousness. The only way to break free is to turn a judgmental eye on yourself, perhaps free of the context you've built around your own actions. There's a quote from the Bible has a good quote along these lines: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (Matthew 7:3)." And everybody's favorite Greek navel-contemplator Socrates said, "the unexamined life is not worth living."

I think that base urge to be your own greatest advocate can be one of contributing factors to good guys who fall to the slow decay of the dark side, and the only saving grace for regular folks like Laxman is that there's an upper ceiling to the amou

5. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Wonderful update! =D= You had me laughing throughout at the humour in the droids' and Flacco's conversations. This is one of those cases where, if I were to list my favourite parts of the post, I would probably end up quoting the entire post! [face_blush] As usual, you've done a great job with the characterisations. :)

I wonder if there's a reason why Iderdex has doctors for the prisoners - it seems as though somebody high up has put extra care into what sort of attention the prisoners should be receiving. Any chance we'll find out more about this later on?

Hm, I wonder if Malarkey is gaining the sort of "wisdom" that Artoo also seemed to have?

Thanks for the PM! :)

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, lovely update and the interaction between Flacco "rhymes with wacko" and the two smart-asses, er, droids, was a fun read.

7. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    BOOM!!!

[image=http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd3/correllian_ale/Crazy_Harry.jpg]

Yes, Boys Like Boom!!!

Now that Ex has provided me the worst segue EVER, on to the reason for why I'm really here:

[face_laugh]
    I can't help but immediatly think of some sociopath surrounded at the dining room table by his victims' cadavers as he carries on conversations like a child hosting a tea party with her dolls and teddy bear.

Oh my, I hope I don't end up commenting/quoting line-for-line:
    It's a nice touch because I tend to think of a prinsoner to be a big burly bastard, not someone on the lanky side. Or maybe I just automatically physically associated him to being like Kaeso.

[face_laugh]

[face_laugh]

[face_thinking] Does sound fishy...

As does the fact we haven't met who's behind droid #3.

I know, I know... patience Danielson.

8. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Valiowk - You had me laughing throughout at the humour in the droids' and Flacco's conversations.

That tends to be a common thread throughout my stories, or at least something I try to pull off. Those brief moments of levity in the movies are fantastically executed so I try to keep the laughs coming, even when things turn dark and depressing. And since I love dark humor, those things never stop me from cracking a joke.

This is one of those cases where, if I were to list my favourite parts of the post, I would probably end up quoting the entire post!

Don't let me stop you!

I'm notorious for leaving ridiculously long replies, sometimes longer than the original story posts themselves. This barely makes up for the other thing I'm notorious for as a reader: being horribly late in getting around to actually reading things. It goes well with the absurd waits in between chapters of my own stories.

I wonder if there's a reason why Iderdex has doctors for the prisoners - it seems as though somebody high up has put extra care into what sort of attention the prisoners should be receiving. Any chance we'll find out more about this later on?

Two things:

1) I'm not sure if it was clear (and if it wasn't, it's totally my fault), but Laxman was referring to Jabberwocky when he said 'doc', as he's a medical droid and will pretty much function as our hero's doctor for the duration of their mission. However, that's not to say he doesn't forward Laxman's vitals upstairs to the Iderdex folks, who may transmit their suggestions; in fact, you can pretty much bet on that.

2) As to your actual question: Absolutely! It's intentional that you should be curious about that question and I can guarantee that by the end of this story, you'll understand the reasoning behind Iderdex's special interest (beyond the requirements of the mission, that is).

Also: You're a very perceptive reader. I love how you make a mention of "the prisoners" in plural; presumably Laxman is among others sent out to be frontiersman as the HOPE program implies. Another observation you won't regret making!

Hm, I wonder if Malarkey is gaining the sort of "wisdom" that Artoo also seemed to have?

Hey, who's writing the story here, lady? :p

You're so right on the mark it's not even funny. Well, it's a little funny. I would go so far as to say that not only is the same sort of wisdom that Artoo seemed to have, it's for the exact same reason that Artoo had it.

[face_mischief]

Thanks for the great comments! :D

Valairy_Scot - Oh, lovely update and the interaction between Flacco "rhymes with wacko" and the two smart-asses, er, droids, was a fun read.

I'm glad you thought so!

You know, I almost wish his name showed up in those Fanfic Award noms as Flacco "Rhymes with Wacko" Laxman. And while I'm at it, I appreciate anyone and everyone, replier to lurker, who nominated this story and its hero.

Thanks, Valairy.

ale - Okay, mr. ale. We need to talk. Just a sit-down, between you and me. And all of the witnesses reading this for later subpeonaed testimony before the grand jury.

I'm not sure what possessed me. Call it the mother of all cosmic coincidence. Or maybe manly intuition. But the other day I saw one of your posts, read your signature, and said to myself "You know, I never read Shades of Grey I, but I wonder how he's doing on the sequel. Completely innocent, mind you. I've never entered that thread in all its long years (I may be projecting my flaws onto you in that regard), but something drew me. In hindsight, maybe it was telepathic suspicion. In any case, I was happy to see you're still posting on it regularly. I browsed the latest post (7/27) and to my utter shock and dismay found this little gem greeting my eyes:

9. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    ...and Flacco (and Valiowk) suddenly realise that there are a lot more levels of command between the Frontiersmen and the people back at Iderdex... :rolleyes:

Great post that definitely got me back to wonder just what Iderdex's ultimate goal is! (Somehow, I sense it has something to do with relocating a massive number of beings...)

Hm, so Imperial censors aren't so ubiquitous after all? :p

You know, if Flacco ever gets out of prison, he probably won't have any trouble getting a decent job... ;)

Now I really can't help but wonder if there actually is a droid czar... [face_thinking]

Hope we get to find out the mystery of the bridge soon. :D

10. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    I like the whole idea of a droid telling jokes like 'one of the guys', the camraderie between Malarky & Flacco is really a nice touch.

The lights going out and Flacco obsessed with them was a really good idea too. 'Course I would've thought to just change the lightbulb, but then we wouldn't be on this path:

In the last two weeks I've been studying those blueprints of Wayfarer religiously, learning the ins-and-outs of the ship I'm to call home for the next three years. For example, I know that the tunnel I was in connects to a lateral shaft that leads aft towards the starboard cargo hold, and from there routes to a t-junction taking you anywhere else you want to go.

While waiting on the droid, I imagined myself navigating my way to the bridge and surprising the guileful machine monarch in his throne room.

There's something about this whole commentary thar just screams: Do it! Do it! Do it!

The first entry and the closing of the second brings up really good points, "why am I doing this?" when drones could've handled a mission like this just as easily.

No great comedic outpouring from me this time, but fully entertained nontheless...

11. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    I loved that handbag story! it made me laugh so hard!

Great post and sorry it took me so long to read.

Keep it up!

12. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    *cough, cough*

(sorry, damn chest cold)

13. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Your OC's are incredible and addicting, as are the little plugs you toss in there...L'Oreal, Tartarus, droids that remind me quite a bit of claptraps in Borderlands...and a hook of a story to boot. PM's please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.