main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Frustrating Subjects (Alfred the Great -The Last Kingdom - Fan Fiction Summer Olympics Pentathlon)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Aug 18, 2020.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Frustrating Subjects
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Alfred, Uhtred, Ealhswith, Leofic.
    Genre: Drama, action
    Fandom: The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

Fan Fiction Summer Olympics
    Pentathlon
    110 Word Dash

Fool

'You are a fool.' -
    Alfred, King of Wessex (The Last Kingdom)

As Uhtred left his study, Alfred, King of Wessex, model of decorum, civility, and, to his mind, fairness, kicked the leg of a chair causing it to impact the table holding numerous scrolls sending many to the floor.

Arrogant, impetuous, lustful, and ignorant were words that filled Alfred's mind as he thought of the man who was at once a valuable asset and cumbersome liability. The anger he felt aggravated his stomach and he sat, alone, after demanding the room be cleared. His feelings regarding Uhtred disquieted him. He wanted the man as a warrior, but also as a Christian brother. He wanted the uncultured brute to be a Saxon!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Good bit re the King's deferring his rage until alone - I've just now heard of the show and nope, I do not have Netflix but seeing the series is based on Cornwell's books, I just might have a good read to look forward to! :)

brodiew likes this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @pronker: Thank you, pronker! I appreciate you stopping in with an review. I really enjoy the tv series, but have heard that the books are great. I read some of his Sharpe books back in the day. Give it a go! I hope you enjoy this one as well.

200 Word Freestyle

Desperation

As Alfred clutched his infant son to his breast, he could feel the heartbeat dwindle. Tears filled the filled the eyes of the king as he fought within himself about giving his son to a pagan sorceress in order to save his life. Edward was near death as it was and yet Alfred, as his wife Aelswith, hesitated in allowing unholy magic the chance to cure him.

Alfred wondered where God had been all this time. Why had Edward been suffering when all the prayers of the kingdom were for his healing. Why did God remain silent? Was it that Alfred refused to hear that the answer was no. Uhtred had encouraged him to give the child to Iseult, the seer, the 'Witch', as Aelswith had called her. Alfred was torn. Was it possible that God worked through pagan as well? Uhtred was right when he said that God made all people, pagans included. Could He not be giving Alfred the opportunity to see through his prejudice for the life of his son?

“Give the child to Iseult,” Uhtred implored once again. This time Alfred stood and allowed the Dane warrior to lead him into reeds where destiny awaited.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    pronker likes this.