main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree with Guy. There's supposed to be a distinction, but in reality there really isn't one. The result is just split discussion and redundancy, with no observable benefit. It just has people talking about the same thing in two different threads (a few people regularly post the same comment in both threads intentionally). You can just lock the election thread and have election discussion in US politics.

Major topics that have the potential to clutter the thread already have their own Senate threads. Cancel culture, Supreme Court, Race Relations, etc. There's really not a lot of leftover topics outside the election. It took some thought to come up with the Whitmer example.

Darth Guy likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    There's an 'election thread AND a general 'US politics thread?'

LOL ok, talk about redundancy

I know there is a UK politics one. Perhaps I should make a separate house of commons one and if daring enough a separate one for the house of lords?

before people jump down my throat. I'm kidding/

j

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's the Department of Redundancy Department. :p

Dark Ferus and Dandelo like this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree with Todd. While it may make sense to combine now, it makes sense to keep them separate as the US Politics thread will be for future political discussion outside of the election results. It's the reason why we have a Marvel thread for general Marvel discussion and separate Marvel threads to discuss specific entertainment like in the WandaVision thread, the Black Widow thread, the Avenger Infinity War thread...

P.S. If this conversation is going to continue, can I request that this be made into its own Comm topic since this has nothing to do with the Fun & Games forum?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Yodaminch, jcgoble3 and Princess_Tina like this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, it’s stupid. It made sense when the election thread was just created, but it doesn’t make sense anymore. I wouldn’t combine them because they are humongous and I’m sure the software wouldn’t like it, so at this point I’m just waiting for the day after Election Day to get rid of one of them.

Yodaminch and Darth Guy like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't mean combine as in actually merge the posts but locking one of them and making the other the unified US Politics thread. I'm glad it'll be addressed.

@TiniTinyTony I think the separate MCU/DC/Star Trek/whatever franchise threads are dumb too. The difference is that the separation is justified by spoilers(!!!). No such justification exists when it comes to politics.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @Darth Guy One could argue that the The Supreme Court, "Race" Relations, and Global Climate Change Assessment threads could all be combined into one thread called "Important Political Issues" but I think these topics deserve their own thread for the reason above.

Yodaminch and Princess_Tina like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I explained what the problem was. People are using the US Politics thread to talk about the election often covering exactly the same topics as the separate election thread. With Trump as both the sitting President and a candidate in the election, it's unclear what the distinction is supposed to be as anything he or his party does is going to affect the vote. We have unified UK Politics and European Politics threads that talk about their elections. The climate change thread and race relations thread don't have the same problem.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Since Tony keeps dragging me back here (gtht)

I think it's an "in theory" vs "in practice" thing. In theory there's a plethora of political topics that could be discussed that don't really have to do with the election, but obviously that's not really the case, or at least those kind of topics aren't the ones people here care about talking about.

I don't participate a lot in the political threads, so I'll let others determine if there's actually a need for a separate election thread every four years or if the general US politics thread can handle the topic well enough. Speaking for my forum, there's times when specialized threads are necessary and times when a general catchall thread will make do; sounds like it might be the latter here.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    There’s only two weeks to go until the election. After that let the US politics thread mop up the fallout of the result.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did I just read that threads on climate change and race relations have arguably the same in common as threads about US politics and the US elections?

Because of you broaden out topics enough, that’s where you get?

****ing hell lol.

in that case, let’s just have one thread for the entire place, afterall, broaden it out enough and they’re all Just discussion.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree saying climate change and race relations are similar enough not to warrant two separate threads would be like saying Canadian politics and the Israel/Palestine are to similar to warrant separate threads.

as for the game threads. I think games period should all go to the fun and games forum. Doesn’t matter how involved they are. As for the fun well I couldn’t answer that as it’s much more subjective than “game” threads.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Edit: Never mind, just saw the earlier post. What the hell is with the slippery slope arguments about thread combinations? The separate election thread is a legacy of the Senate merge/demerge/remerge drama. It got brought back because Ghost ramrodded it into being a precedent when he tried to post a new one on the very day of the 2016 election. The forums are not setting off on the ~dark timeline~ of the dreaded omnithread by not allowing a new election thread in 2022.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If I get a choice of getting rid of one of the two I'm totally getting rid of the US Politics thread.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I can't wait to see what hilarious leftovers we'll have when we merge F&G back into Community in a couple of years!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Ohhh I can't wait :p

Healer_Leona likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Why would you merge Fast & Furious back into Community after Paul Walker died?

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    On a long enough timeframe the climate change thread and the race relations thread might have to merge. Global warming will impact biodiversity, and melanin levels in humans.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have just realized that I do not understand the difference between Fun and Game in the forum.
    I checked some thread and it looks like they are used interchangeably.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I just assume that if a game doesn't have the fun tag it's very dull.

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm not sure but, to be tagged as a "game," I think there has to be either a specific system for designating "winners" or, on the flip side (like the Word Disassociation thread), a system for "disqualifying" participants.

But I don't really know. I woke up too early this morning and basically am just killing time until I determine if I will be able to go back to sleep for a couple of hours or whether I should just try to start my day:p

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Basically, it’s all fun and games until someone takes it to comms

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Edit: nah

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager