main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    ...i have really enjoyed separating discussion from spam. both are fun, but i like that the categories are automatically separated because when I'm looking to post in +1 threads, sifting through discussion threads is not fun or helpful, and vice versa. they never felt like part of the same culture to me and arose slowly over the years after the move. the JCC has historically been fast-paced, but the proliferation of +1 threads is a relatively recent phenomenon in its history (5-8 years, give or take). there was a clear culture clash and I think now everyone gets to have their cake and eat it too.

Pensivia, jcgoble3 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    No worries.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't know if it's because we're still in "beta" but I feel like it's not 100% clear what is supposed to go in F&G. I still see threads in JCC and think they probably belong in the other forum. But then again, I don't know what the exact criteria is supposed to be. All we have to go on right now is "Message board games and spammy posting." And then we run into instances where a thread is made in JCC, this thread gets bumped, and we have to discuss where it belongs. Ideally, that shouldn't be happening almost ever.

Bacon164 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    People were leaving in droves. That is a fact.

Diggy and 3sm1r like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a little confused why the Post Random Art thread hasn't been moved to F&G. There's almost no discussion involved whatsoever. I only use it for therapeutic purposes, i.e. I love autumn.

Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes, that would be one example of a thread I alluded to earlier.

Bacon164 likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's people who contribute their own art.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    An ideal situation

F&G: Post some art, yours or someone else's, give credit, end post
    JCC: Post some art, yours or someone else's, give credit, discussion of art ensues

F&G: Post some photography, yours or someone else's, give credit, end post
    JCC: Post some photography, yours or someone else's, give credit, discussion of photograph ensues

Dandelo and Bacon164 like this.
  9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I think discussion has always been the key word. If we want a general art thread in JCC, it should probably be Amph and require some kind of conversation. If there’s a posting your own art thread, I would think the people posting would welcome feedback, with compliments and constructive criticism. Posting random art for therapeutical purposes is fun, and is definitely a thread for Fun and Games.

I also think Drafts belong in the other forum but I know I’m not going to win that battle.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Ramza, 3sm1r and Dandelo like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    A thread for art is for Fun&Games and while I don't care enough about the subject to make a crusade over it, I am puzzled about the mods' resistance in keeping it in the JCC forum.
    It has identical characteristics as any Post a random whatever thread.

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Like I mentioned, all that seems to have been accomplished is that a select few threads from the Community section were moved to the Fun and Games section, and that's it. While other equally mundane threads remain in the Community section. Plus I think that if somebody were to now create a mundane thread, they are likely to still post it in the Community section. So there really isn't any clear, or dare I say enforced, distinction with what belongs in Community and what belongs in Fun and Games. I know it's all new and if the dust is still being settled and sorted out, I get it. Mods can't get to everything right away. But if it stands the way it is, then it doesn't make any sense, other than to just have moved those select threads from the Community section.

That might be. But I'd find it hard to believe that the recent changes didn't also contribute significantly to the overall lack of traffic there.

12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    People were leaving before the change, some specifically citing the +1 threads (amongst other things) drowning out the more substantive JCC threads.

jcgoble3 and 3sm1r like this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Looks like a lot of people left anyway.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    That's a lot.
    I am surprised that you don't feel the difference, but the spam threads were really starting to become asphyxiating. I am not blaming anyone -if someone likes to post in +1 threads, they must have the space to do it- but it was really an actual issue.
    There were like 12 threads that were continuously upped on a minute basis. Whenever a new interesting thread was created, it would go to second page in less than 2 hours because it couldn't keep up with the frequency at which spam threads were upped. For those who don't post in +1 threads it was really unbearable. I would have never left, personally, but I have to admit that it was really a relief when the changes were made. And I visit both forums, I even created a thread in the F&G that made me happy and I go spamming myself from time to time.

Diggy , EHT, Pensivia and 4 others like this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    This is depressingly true, that doesn't mean changes shouldn't be made because they've already gone.

The horse may have bolted but in this circumstance there is a decent number left to at least shut the door this time

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I didn't mind the +1 threads at all. And if you look now, those threads have completely slowed down as well.

I liked how it was just all there in one place. I was all for the hustle and bustle of the JCC.

17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't really see the notion that JCC and Fun and Games traffic has slowed down other than the moving of the +1 threads. That's not been my experience when browsing– but the only way we can properly judge this point of argument is metrics, and I'd be curious to see them.

In any case, a slowdown in traffic should be expected as long as there are no theatrical releases in the works. That would have happened with or without a forum split.

Coruscant, jcgoble3 and 3sm1r like this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    They just slowed down because apparently Tina got banned. Sooner or later she'll come back and you'll see them return to their glory.

Diggy and FatBurt like this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    And then shortly after we'll return here to Communications to make another new policy in her honor.

It was bound to slow down as the election came to an end. But even then, even outside of election seasons, even when there wasn't a global pandemic, it used to be a real hotbed of activity. Like I've mentioned before, in the past, you could go quite a few pages back and see threads that have been responded to within just the past couple of days. Now, in just a few pages it already looks dead. That's a pretty stark contrast from what the JCC used to be for the longest time, and it can't be a coincidence that it's happened soon after these changes were made.

20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    The JCC just isn't what it used to be

KnightWriter and 3sm1r like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m sorry that you don’t like the new layout. I hear it’s popping off over at Christian Mingle right now.

Diggy , heels1785 and harpua like this.
  22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Popping...at Christian Mingle...I see what you did there. Sounds like you're in the know.

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Honestly, I just wanted to use the words Christian Mingle in a post because I think they’re hilarious.

So where have you been?

Diggy likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I got banned for a month towards the end of summer. Which also happened to be when these changes were being discussed and voted on. The length of my ban wasn't so much because of what happened, but the fact that I've been banned more than a few times now, including several times just this year, so they keep getting longer. Which I honestly find to be kind of ridiculous that I keep getting banned when a simple mod edit and a heads up would have sufficed most of the time. And then once I got unbanned I posted randomly a few times about the election, but that was it. Can't say I was all that eager to jump back into how active I had been previously, and probably still won't be so much going forward. But then the other day I finally took a closer look at the JCC and saw how much it changed compared to how it had been for the longest time. So I just wanted to offer my take on the current state of it.

Darth Punk likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, are you just bitching? I haven't seen any constructive suggestions from you. Looks like you're just here to whine. Again, what are you trying to accomplish here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.