main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

funnily enough, I was lying awake early this morning and it dawned on me, it does actually mean Future Films Spoilers allowed.

And that was the highlight of my morning,

As an aside it's nice to know I wasn't wrong to think of the abbreviation whenever I see it :p

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank heaven. I feared I was the only one who lies about in bed thinking of you.

Dandelo likes this.
  3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Edit: nvm.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Cursing me is not necessary [face_laugh][face_laugh]

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, the mods are in the headers at the top of each forum... and also all in one place for easy viewing: https://boards.theforce.net/pages/staff/

Dandelo likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the threads that only one Cannoli and Superwatto posted are good examples of **** posts but ones that can still generate discussion

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It really was necessary to move the 'Explain a film plot badly' to the F&G forum? :rolleyes:

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    y do u hate the fun and games forum?

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I don’t see it serving a great purpose; didn’t think the spam issue in the JCC was was worthy of creating a new forum.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Just go in the F&G forum whenever you want to play games. It costs you a total of 3 clicks.

11. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    ^ Will poker ever return?

Emperor Ferus and 3sm1r like this.
  12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It's not about that (along the same logic, though, one could have avoid such spam threads in the old setup, thus making the F&G forum not necessary), but the logic involved with it's creation. Also not a fan of threads suddenly being moved there with no input from others, after being in the JCC for quite some time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yes

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm with you in that I don't think F&G was the right call, though it turned out better than I expected. I just can't imagine a discussion anytime a thread is moved. Actually I can imagine it (broadly speaking): people who pushed for a spam/+1 forum complaining that spam/+1 they like gets moved and that's not fair because they weren't supposed to suffer consequences of the forum split, only Tina and Iron_Lord were supposed to go away.

So I'm quite down with abrupt and unannounced thread moves. Healer_Leona has been looking at the content of the threads, not the posters and that's the only way to run this (unnecessary decision) fairly for everyone.

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Edit: Never mind

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean I have a feeling the biggest reason for the split was the Free Association thread which was always somewhere high up on the first page.

And discussion was had on some threads such as the art thread which was discussed at length here.

17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    because

'posting in fun and games is childish, as is talking about that baby franchise Star Battles or whatever it's called.
    I come 'ere to talk about Politics, and more Politics and talk latest movie news...serious discussion only obviously'

or something.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Technically yes, but it wouldn’t work in F&G.

How often does it even get bumped? Once a year?

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    True I didn’t think of that

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    So rather than post this in the threads in question, I would rather do so here and hopefully get a legitimate response about it.

There have been a handful of threads in Community recently that are starting to get quite spammy. "How to be a JCCer", "Man Running Into Woods", "Punk Versus Diggy" are only the most recent ones. But a few others that are just like those have been popping up in recent weeks. The first couple of them were definitely in good fun. But now they seem to be becoming more frequent, to the point where I don't think it's inappropriate to suggest that they are becoming a bit spammy.

My question is...Wasn't there a lengthy discussion some months ago about removing spam threads from Community? Wasn't there an entire forum created in order to place threads like that in? What is different about the recent threads like the ones I mentioned that makes them considered not spam, worthy of remaining in Community, and not placed in Fun and Games?

Because it just seems like one type of spam that had been complained about before has now just been replaced with another type of spam. Especially since all that happens in those threads is they become a pow-wow for the JCC lifers to say random things to each other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to those threads. I'm just returning to my argument about why an entire forum was created to remove certain threads from Community that were considered spam, and yet other equally spammy threads remain.

22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    All I get from this is you either don’t get it, or you have some axe to grind.

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Not at all. Those threads are starting to become spammy now. And it just seems like one form of spam that had previously been complained about is now being replaced with another form of spam.

Like I said, I don't mind those threads being created as of late. But I have to wonder why it is those aren't considered spam, but an entirely new forum was created as a result of other threads that were considered spam. Even though there isn't any difference in the type of content in those recent threads. I thought there was an agreement that spammy threads would go in Fun and Games.

If I do have something to say about it, it's that this again just seems like certain things are allowed based on the users who are participating. A thread isn't any less spammy just because that group of users are participating in it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I think the problem is you don’t seem to know what the consensual definition of spam is.

literally the whole point of the creation of Fun and Games is so that there might be more room on the first page for spontaneous discussion threads that have a chance to foster community.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Coruscant and 3sm1r like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea I don’t think how the be a JCCer is spammy. The rules were basically any game and any +1 thread would go to Fun and Games. There is actual discussion in how to be a JCCer. Sure it and the other threads might be goofy. But they aren’t +1 threads. So keep them where they are

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.