main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Futurama LIves! 13 new episodes!!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedipete33, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    According to several websites including ign.com and gotfuturama.com. They are reporting that comedy central has brought back Futurama and will be releasing 13 new episodes. The episodes are targeted for 2008 along with a dvd movie around christmas 07.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Have you check gotfuturama.com lately?

Turns out it was just more of the same confusion that has been going on for awhile. They aren't new episodes just the DVD movies that we've been expecting for awhile. CC is just going to take the DVD movies and cut them up into four episodes each giving them what will actually be 16 "new episodes".

I do think its odd that CC ended up with it. I thought they had been pushing original programing more then licensed things. I know CN/AS is doing the same maybe that took them out of the running.

3. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    I dont care how it is brought back so long that it just is. I always did consider Futurama the superior cartoon on TV and its return cant come fast enough.

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No doubt there.

Its just if you've been following its return its been kind of a cycle like this for awhile now. Billy West (who has been the perpetrator in the past) hears something from someone about something and all of the sudden its all over his blog that Futurama is coming back to TV. Everyone who loves the show gets all excited and a few days later it turns out he misunderstood.

This is the same thing (just a different perpetrator this time). We've known for awhile now that Futurama is coming back with direct to DVD movies. This is just another example of its "real" return being hyped and then not being there.

It is a lot better this time because there is a future air date now and a channel. Problem is that most Futurama fans will have seen it a hundred times before it airs (probably not that much but last time I only said half a dozen and got called a slacker :p ). Its like when Fox closed out this last season of Family Guy with "The Stewie Griffin Story". They hyped it as new because "it was new to them" and they still need the viewers but people who were fans in one regard or another were already sick of watching it by the time it hit the airwaves.

I'm sure I'll watch it on CC but by that time I'm sure I'll know it by heart and maybe even be a little sick of it (though it is hard to get sick of Futurama).

The moral of the story here is buy the DVDs when they come out regardless of it hitting CC or not. Its the same song we were singing when "Monster Robot Maniac Fun" was released, just a different verse. That DVD and the box sets before it were key in getting us to this point of the direct to DVD movies. We're almost where we all want to be with "real" episodes of Futurama going back into production and that decision will be based in no small part to the sales of the DVD movies (though I'm sure CC showing this interest in airing them helps as well ;) )

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    either way if it's direct to dvd or straight to tv i don't care. i'd like to see some new Futurama

6. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Don't go bashing Billy, he was correct from the begining. He might have been brash for blowing the lid on it while everyone else was saying "Maybe" and "There's talk at Fox".

When he made those statements, Futurama was pretty much in the bag, the legalities were just being sorted out.

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Um, yes and no.

He jumps the gun, there is not ifs, ands, or buts about it. It isn't "bashing", its the truth. He was right about the DVD movies in the long run but that had been largely in the bag before he even mentioned it. We aren't getting the full 26 episodes picked up on Fox that he mentioned not to long ago and that wasn't even the first time that he'd done it. Like I said, nothing "bashing" about it, he hasn't done anything that you, I, or anyone else wouldn't (or haven't) of done in his place, you get some great news and you don't always check it out before you start telling people. He is always apologetic afterward and admits that he jumped the gun, but he still jumps the gun.

Its the nature of the internet, its all just one big game of telephone. Cases of he said, she said, that just sound too good not to be true but more often then not aren't.

Thats why there are the "maybe"s and the "there's talk at Fox"s because that kind of talk can turn into "no"s pretty quick. This is just another example of it. Here we are with some really, really great news that in the end doesn't turn out to be a whole lot different from what we've known for almost a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.