main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Future of the Rebellion

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by RogueSquadronWingnut, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Members of the Rebellion,

When I took the job last year, it was under the idea that there might be some glimmer of 'retooling' or changing the Rebellion to adjust to what has happened over the last several years. With the inception of the Garrison, the 'cold war' with two other area chapters and a general lack of ideas for improvement, I'm contemplating closing this down.

The Garrison itself has largely become the focus of many of our members and while a large number of us have largely been jaded and disillusioned by politics here, (I really only check this board anymore to make sure there wasn't trouble on our board) we're meeting more as seemingly just a requirement to continue our existence instead of coming up with ideas to make ourselves active. Thats a sign of atrophy.

If people would like the Rebellion to pursue a different path or if you have a general comment about the situation, please chim in and be honest. I havent attended many meetings since my promotion largely due to family factors as well as just a general inability to be free on Sundays. If anyone wants to discuss possibly changing the meeting time to a more...attainable timeframe that could be good.

Edit: changed wording

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I would be interested in reading your unedited version?
    Could you please PM/email it to me?

~Doc_Bev

3. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    As I've said many times: A club like the Rebellion is needed because not everyone has the desire, interest, talent, finances, etc. to costume to the professional levels that the international groups like Rebel Legion and the 501st. requires for membership.

I have always seen FanForce as a place for anyone who has any interest in Star Wars whether it is costuming, gaming, collecting, reading the books or just talking about the movies or the newest Clone Wars cartoon. Sure, it's a great place to start your first costume; tweaking it until it is up to standards for application to one of the professional costuming groups, but it shouldn't be a necessity. There are always spots for table help, photographers or handlers for the costumed members at events for those in club t-shirts; granted those numbers are usually limited.

Plus, I think Wesley is enough a reason to continue the Rebellion. We should have more social activities like watching the films or cartoons to include him especially since we have been neglecting him lately.

4. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    When a call went out to help recoup club debt simply by having a bottles and cans drive...I believe I was the only one who even tried to put an effort out there for it while not another member chipped in. Considering we haven't done a single bit of recruitment aside from one person trying to convince the SW Mini players to consider signing up (oh yeah..that was me), and we haven't had any new membership with the introduction of the CW mini-series, I don't see the first argument.

If this is an argument about Steve and his placement in the 'world' if the Rebellion were to close, something tells me he'd be just find as a helping non-RL Jedi or handler at other events. I took this group over under the large opinion that we needed a break from costuming as a focus here and to try and create some sort of social environment instead of the continuing politic degenerative finger-pointing we had been plagued with for the years earlier.

Nicky didnt want to do the job anymore because of all the negativity around the board and while I wanted to jump into something and figure it out, I was unfortunately side tracked. Being away from all of this for the last few months and then taking several hard long looks when I came back, I questioned the need for the group. Its not growing, its not going anywhere or doing anything. I understand the need to include Wesley in several aspects but I dont know why we need to make it an official club event to hang out with him. I dont understand why we cant, as people instead of making an official titled group event, simply pick a time when we're going to hang out with Wes.

I could be wrong or I could be just looking at this with a different set of eyes. I'm not dodging the responsibilities of being in charge but I'm failing to see how any of this can be improved. Hence why I created a feedback thread.

5. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Tom and I did gather all the empty cans and bottles from the picnic after the Lilac Parade and rounded it up to help out the Rebellion's debt problem. Also on the The Rebellion Financial Thread - 2008, I asked that the sale of the SW Ep III buttons that Tom donated go towards the Rebellion's bills like www.RochesterFanForce.com's domain fee. Yes, I've talked up the website to the Sw Minis gamers, but it seems that those guys can't even answer e-mails, nevermind chat on a board. Some even have a hard time showing up on time to game. ;)

This isn't about any 1 person. FanForce is for anyone with any interest. We have lost some members and potential members because we have been so costume focused. Our meeting time has hurt us too - some people go to Church or want to sleep in or we have events. I'm not sure when a good meeting time is anymore, but Sunday at 11 a.m. has often seemed troublesome. There are many fringe members who pop in and out, not to mention any potential members who may read the boards but not post yet. Modernism is back in town. WookieeCookiee and her sister do visit. Who knows what may happen in the future. I'm an optimist at heart and am always looking to the future for new opportunities with the hope it will be better than the present or past. We all know who has been responsible for the political garbage. That can happen whenever a group gets together. Some do it for a reaction to amuse themselves; some for power; some are envious; some are bored; who knows. It happens, we try to resolve it, and then move on - but don't forget the past; otherwise we are doomed to repeat it.

Yes, your life has been a rollercoaster over the past year. Maybe you need a break? Did you ever really want this post, this task?

True, but I think Wesley enjoys being part of the group, not just to hang out with friends. It's hard to put into words what I mean on this part. I just doubt that if we stop having a structured time for meetings and events, that many of us will just drift away until we only see him and some others when we need them like to reserve the pavillio

6. nevetsmlahh

nevetsmlahh Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    i know that i also helped with a couple of bucks as well to.

7. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001

I agree with all that. If I could get my butt up out of bed and or not stay up all night Saturday , I would show up more. Even though I am no longer collecting , reading the books, and only Troop, I am still a fan and would enjoy getting together with other fans and talking about SW and watching stuff. If I had more time and could make it to meetings more, I would take over, but I cannot. We have to keep it simple. Its hard for me to keep costuming out of the focus of discussion at Meetings though because that is what I do. When I get together with any RL or 501 members outside of a troop, I want to talk shop , not 501 or RL politics so much, I can see how that stuff would make others leave and not want to come back. :) Others have tried and tried again to do this over the years and it never seems to work out to its potential. Even before all the costuming it was hard to keep peoples interests. You cannot be too structured or people do not like it, and if there is not enough structure there is nothing going on and know one cares I do not know how other Chapters do it. With or without this Chapter, we can still get together more often and have fun outside of trooping. I am not saying I want the Chapter to close down, but if it does I would still be interested in meeting with others out side of trooping.

8. celine

celine Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2007
    hey guys. sorry to pop in here, but i was bored and reading this at some ungodly hour...and now i'm in suspense. Did you guys end up closing down the Rebellion chapter? Was there enough interest to keep it going? I hope so. hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

On a totally pointless, random side note, I just got a new minis set with a really awesome jedi master in it. He's scary. :)I destroyed my husband's army with it. muhahhahahhha!!

9. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    The Rebellion still hosts monthly meetings. The next one will be a picnic/birthday party on July 19th.
    But other than that we're not really active at all.

~Doc_Bev

10. celine

celine Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2007
    awww. that's too bad, but at least the monthly meetings means it's not TOTALLY kuput.

11. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Which Jedi Master did you pull? Luke? We just had our Release Event last Saturday. I pulled Darth Plagueis and Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight and a lot of useful commons and uncommons for the game and then Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Trainer (I think) in my prize booster. However, I have not bought any other boosters from this set and probably won't until after SFX aka Fan Expo Toronto.

12. jonny5

jonny5 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    I think there is a lot to look forward to on the horizon in the SW universe.
    There isn't enougth known aboty the live action TV show yet I really thgoutbht ath SDCC wousl spill some dirt on that.

Still no news is good news and so long as we haven't heard how GL is going to screw it up there is hope yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.