main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I Joe....the real movie picture

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whisperjedi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Is that really something you needed to share with us? o_O

2. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Patriotic indeed.

3. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Hmm. Patriotic Plastic.
    That might make a good name for a super hero. Good name, bad hero.

I seem to be jumping in a little late here, but oh well.

Growing up in the 80's, I watched the cartoon because I was young and just didn't know any better. To add to my youthful ignorance, I thought the comics (when I found out about them) would be just as stupid so I didn't bother with them. Fortunately for me, the only friend that I had at the time insisted (pretty much forced me) to read them. I don't remember if the first one I read was issue #3 or #5, but it was the earliest one that he had and it was awesome! Naturally, I read them all until about 1987.

Unlike the cartoon, there was no firing an infinite number of automatic rounds and then having to just knock some one out. There was no, "Hey, we finally got into a vehicle with a big cannon, but darnit, the barrel's jammed with shrapnel."
    There was "real" awesome violence. And very cool characters that you loved or hated, but cared equally about. For example, we had Doc who was required by NATO policy to be a wus, so when he had to go toe to toe with Destro, took him out by tickling him! They had a martial arts master who, when confronted with an armed Cobra who had all the advantages, talked him to death. Literally!
    I worry that the movie might not come even remotely close to being that creative.
    I fear a live action cartoon.

Some of what I've heard about casting really concerns me:
    Roadblock - Michael Clark Duncan ??? Ving Raimes would be better. Not that it matters, I hear there is no Roadblock. Some one had the retarded idea of Heavy Duty instead. ????

Some one said they heard that:
    Destro - Vin Diesel. That would have been awesome, but not the case.
    Major Blood - Willem Dafoe. Also very awesome, and again, a no go.

I might see it in theaters, or I might wait for the DVD. But I will see it.
    Glutton for punishment, I guess.
    Just ranting.
    Sorry to take up your time...

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I am actually really looking forward to this movie. I think it'll be fine and that it won't be an abomination like Street Fighter or the Matrix.

5. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    The Matrix wasn't too bad. In fact, I rather enjoyed it.
    They just shouldn't have made a sequel.

SuperNeo? Please. Some one just hit him in the head with a chimney already...

Only SLIGHTLY prettier Trinity???

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Matrix: Moronic Hong-kong wire-fu movie with a scifi&zen sugar-coating. I've seen mudpuddles with more depth.
    Trinity? I never thought she was all that good looking. Maybe to drooling geek-boys who used a CRT as a tanning lamp until they could afford to have their mommies buy them a flatscreen.

Really, the whole thing was vastly over-hyped, over-blown, and over-rated. That stupid 360 camera-spin effect has been the bane and curse of movie makers ever since.

7. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I find it odd that you would insult the entire SFF fan community by broadsweeeping them/us "drooling geek-boys", and indicating that they/we do not go outside, and that they/we are somehow financially beholden to our mothers. I, Noah David Henson, am 38 years old, happily married with an active social life, a physically demanding job, and a love for woods and water. I know I am not alone in being a relatively normal, well-adjusted human being with interests that are becoming more and more "mainstream" every year. The fact that I like the first Matrix film, and find Carrie Whatsernose attractive, does not somehow lower my intelligence, the validity of my social life, or reduce my capacity to support myself independent of my mother. Furthermore I fail to understand how one's interest in a particular film genre could possibly shape, or affect in any way, the degree of attraction one might harbor toward a particular actress. That you proudly proclaim yourself as a "d6 GameMaster" does not help your credibility as a scathing critic of "geek-boy" culture, nor does your self-posturing as a superior personage, by dint of your lack of attraction to a particular woman, make any kind of logical sense. I bid you good-day.

8. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    =D=
    Suprisingly, I am applauding both of you.

Koohii; Valid opinion. Perhaps innaccurate, but well put. And funny.

Vortigern99; Awesome rebuttal. I hope I never get into an argument with you.

EDIT:
    P.S. If the G.I. Joe movie does wind up overdoing that 360-degree shot, ala-HouseOfTheDead, I will be royally pissed.....

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Bad name, good hero.

You heard me.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, when you put it that way, yeah, my post does seem arrogant and offensive... While I admit to arrogance, I usually try to mitigate the offensive.

If you're willing to put up with a digression (not necessarily an appology, but more of an explanation), pray continue. If not, just skip to the next post and ignore my demented ramblings.

One thing I do not tollerate well is people praising to the sky anything (be it movie, comic book, TV show, boardgame, or whatever) when I find the produclt to be less than deserving. Conflicting oppinions are fine, indeed necessary, or the world would be a very boring place.
    Consider: 1982 (if I remember correctly) the big film was REDS. 11 Accademy nominations. Best film of the decade. Ground-breaking. Praised to the skies. A 4-hour masterpiece. Now, I was only 10 at the time, but I was bored out of my skull by this tedious series of bedroom pillow-talk scenes that ambled across Russia. Had the film made any attempt to explain the politics of the Octobre revolution, or the history, or even just a perspective on the events, however biassed, then maybe it would have deserved some attention. No. The movie instead was a testamony to the bedroom prowess of the main character. And this is dragged on for over 4 hours. As it was, it was nothing more than a triumph of industry politics over substance. REDS currently ranks on my list as the worst movie I have ever seen.
    Other examples of this sort of hype over substance that have cheezed my off incrediblly: Blair Witch Project, Unforgiven, GlenGary Glenn Ross, Traffic.
    To a lesser extent, The Matrix, and ID4.

So, if you're still reading this, thank you.

That said, I shall cease my ramblings and hope to return this thread to its propper topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.