main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I Joe....the real movie picture

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whisperjedi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I'm rather disappointed, to be honest. The suit needs more armour plating on the lower body, and that come-hither/check-out-my-butt pose belongs to the Baroness, or on the cover of Maxim. [face_thinking]

2. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Nice, but I was hoping for something closer to her look from the original cartoon.

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    After Snake Eyes, I think we all were. ;)

Still, blue and tan spandex isn't very military looking, is it? Black seems more appropriate to a counter-intelligence operative.

4. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Sadly, I must agree...they all look pretty but I just hope that the movie doesn't come out as a overblown videogame. Does anyone know who's writing it? and how long was Transformers in development? (since G.I.Joe wouldn't have gotten greenlit without it.)

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    No idea who's writing it, but Larry Hama has apparently been brought onboard as creative consultant.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, GI Joe was in development first when they announced they were developing Transformers (same producer). Transformers just happened to go into production first (when you get Spielberg on board for your project, that tends to accelerate things a wee bit ;) ). Though, ironically, both of those only happened because of the 80's comics resurgence that spiked earlier this decade thanks to the surprise sales of the Dreamwave Transformers G1 title.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I hope they don't "Doom" up this movie. And does anyone know how serious in tone this movie will be? I hope they play it straight and make the movie along the lines as a Batman Begins or even an X-Men movie.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think we're in safe hands. The writers are Skip Woods and Stuart Beattie. Between them, they've written Swordfish, Hitman and the POTC Trilogy.

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Those look badass... :cool:

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Looks good.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nice! Those black suits have to their ops gear- I wonder if their non-mission atire will end up looking more like the cartoon and comics to some degree?

13. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    =P~ Baroness!

I'm a little concerned about the all-black Joe outfits; GI Joe costuming has always been about creative individuality rather than uniform group identity. *shrug* I guess we'll wait and see what they do with the other characters.

Storm Shadow looks pretty cool, but I miss his mask.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Dennis Quaid looks more like Flint than Hawk to me from the above pics. The previous page had Quaid as Hawk. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander? What's up with that. I hope that is not true.

15. Beskargirl

Beskargirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2007
    Well I can't say I like the way any of the characters look except Snake-eyes. The Baroness's shoes are absolutely ridiculous looking. And Scarlet looks like she's modeling for a magazine cover. [face_shame_on_you]

Not to mention the fact that I can't even look at a picture of Marlon Wayans without thinking of him as Snails from the D&D film.:oops:

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watch Requiem For a Dream- that'll shake his D&D performance outta yer head- you'll also probbaly want to curl up under your bed as well ;)

17. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    So are they all gonna look like X-men rejects or what? :p

Why is it that all these types of movies have to change the original look of the characters into the oh-so-hip Matrix-meets-Batsuit look?

I have to say, she does look HOT though.

D_M_S_L

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's somewhat realistic- I think real military suits ala the batsuit have been developed, and it makes sense that you'd paint 'em black for covert ops. Like I said- I'm actually more curious what some of these characters will look like in their normal fatigues.

19. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Scarlett looks pretty good, I not really that bothered about how close they stay to her cartoon uniform.

20. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I'd say they look more like Crysis-lite, actually. ;)

Maybe because that's actually the look the US Army is going for? [face_whistling]

A little too much so, actually.

21. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    There's no way the US Government would ever spend that kind of money on "cool new outfits" for their soldiers... It doesn't make any sense from a budgetary perspective.... It's just not practical. Not to mention this stuff isn't new, they're always coming up with some high tech lookin' gear to spin as "the new look for the military" and it never happens. Just something to put in the militaristic mags and Guns N' Ammo. You've got to pay attention to how the military spends money, just look at where the advances have been... Weaponry... not armor and fancy attire. It's far too expensive and doesn't do a whole lot of good. The look of our soldiers hasn't really changed in the past 8 decades. The newest look we got was the desert fatigues... :p

See they release articles like that every 10-15 years or so, because the technology is out there and people are always curios how close the "Star Wars/Starship Troopers" future we are. They do the same thing with space technology...

Funny how they seem to want our military to look more like Storm Troopers though. Or should I say, Scary...

D_M_S_L

22. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah but we have to remember these are supposed to elite troops, they would get way better equipment then regular troops.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Not to mention much more specialized training...

The Joes are supposed to be the very best of the very best. That probably makes them at least as good as Navy Seals, if not considerably better...

24. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff the US Government doesn't make sense from a budgetary perspective. ;)

Funny, last time I looked, the body armor was new (M69, then RBA, then SPEAR, then Interceptor OTV, and now the IOTV and Spartan), but US troops were still toting the same 1950s vintage Eugene Stoner-derived assault rifle, mounting the same WWII-era M2 .50 cal machine guns on their humvees...

Computer battle maps, infrared and thermal "snooper scopes", night vision, increasing focus on small, highly-trained units over massed formations, conscription done away with in favor of an all-volunteer force... all we need now is the powered armor and you can basically say hello to Robert Heinlein's Mobile Infantry.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. There are even steps being taken towards that. Once power armour becomes standard issue, all we'll need is the massive starships. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.