main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Gahmah Raan's Artwork

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Gahmah Raan, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Although, I think the downside would be that either the power drain is faster, or it runs on a death of a thousand cuts approach (I mentioned in my notes that the middle cannons do more damage than the other four).

Other modifications that were added over the course of the story include a co-pilot/passenger seat and a tail gun turret.

HanSolo29 and Gamiel like this.
  2. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    No artwork in this post, but I think this needs to be brought up in case something happens.

For years, I've hosted my artwork on DeviantArt and have linked to it when sharing my artwork on this forum. However, given a certain stupid decision on the part of DA's CEO today regarding the implementation of AI (and how they might never live said decision down despite backtracking on it), I may consider making Tumblr or Twitter (if the latter survives it's new manchild owner, that is) the main image source for linking.

If you see any dead image links in the future, that's because either DA collapsed because of their CEO's bone-headed decision or I've decided to delete everything because they crossed an even bigger line. Of course, that will mean I have to rework all the image links on my previous posts (and while it would be a lot of work, thankfully, I don't post too often).

BookExogorth and HanSolo29 like this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh wow, I wasn't aware of those changes on DA – thanks for the heads up! It's been a long time since I posted anything on there.

I will say that I've gotten into a habit of posting all of my artwork in a folder on Tumblr. I made the switch when Photobucket stopped allowing direct links to their site, and it's worked out nicely for me so far. I would definitely recommend that one if/when you ever need to move everything.

In terms of updating the links in this thread, I've seen some artists keep a table of contents in the first post of their thread. The 'edit' feature in the forum allows for that fairly easily. That way, you don't have to comb the entire thread for broken links; you can have everything listed together for easy access. I imagine it will also be simple to keep everything up to date.

Please let me know if you need help with anything! :)

Gahmah Raan likes this.
  4. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    I've decided to keep my DeviantArt page up for now. However, I'm choosing not to post anything there for the time being until the whole DreamUp fiasco dies out. As such, I'm currently hosting future artwork from Tumblr.

However, I have another warning in advance. Some of the images of the original line art sketches may possibly be disappearing soon, because they were hosted on Twitter. You can thank an insufferable billionaire whose name looks like "Melon Husk" for that.

I may consider hosting line art previews from Tumblr or Instagram in the future. And I might consider backing some of my original line art sketches there.

Gamiel and HanSolo29 like this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I totally hear you about Twitter. I feel like it's a ticking time bomb waiting to explode at this point...

Definitely keep us posted on how things progress! :)

6. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Another heads up regarding images with links.

Apparently, DeviantArt is experimenting with a mature content algorithm that - in theory - is supposed to auto-filter mature content that doesn't get marked (presumably to make it more advertiser friendly). However, much like when Tumblr tried to do this years ago, it's also filtering stuff the algorithm thinks is too mature (i.e. running on very flawed programming). Surprisingly, it didn't censor some designs that I would think would automatically get hit on the grounds of being a bit on the saucier side (i.e. characters that are technically naked, but lack any naughty bits on the grounds of a monstrous appearance, such as the mutated Dynn Manthis pieces or Zolph Vaelor's Force channeling forms).

If you have a DA account, you should be fine viewing it on site, even if you don't have "Display Mature Content" toggled on. If you're not a member, well, you're dealing with a bonkers mature content filter. The good news is that images don't get filtered here on this forum, and thankfully the descriptions that accompany the pieces in the links (if you want the lore bits) don't get filtered.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Since I've shared any of them on this thread in a while, here are few sketches I have yet to color.

Ophan, a so-called "Archangel" that serves Yalbdalaoth.
    [​IMG]

A Thalnyaric cultist
    [​IMG]

Archbishop Hazral Vangeli
    [​IMG]

A design update of the Forceless construct warriors
    [​IMG]

The "Amalgamation"
    [​IMG]

Hiriss Moraana and Elscorsef fighting side by side (Hiriss apparently has fangs now, even when she's not in symbiosis, and Elsie is a shape-shifting blob like Inque from Batman Beyond)
    [​IMG]

"Mangonk"
    [​IMG]

8. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    You have some really unique designs for your characters! And of course, I love the wardrobe for the archbishop.

I can't wait to see how these will all look in color! :D

Dandelo and Gahmah Raan like this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

I saw this and immediately thought of Ezekiel 10:10

HanSolo29 and Gahmah Raan like this.
  10. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Yalbdalite Warrior Monk - Templar of Light.
    [​IMG]

Fanfic-related description of subject in image link.

Gamiel, Dandelo and HanSolo29 like this.
  11. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Ophan - False Angel
    [​IMG]
    As usual, fanfic-related description of subject in image link.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    BookExogorth, HanSolo29 and Gamiel like this.
  12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo... that definitely looks like something I would never want to cross paths with! :p

Very nice rendering!

Gahmah Raan likes this.
  13. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Thalnyaric Cultist - Acolyte of the Collective
    [​IMG]
    As usual, fanfic-related description of subject in image link.

14. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Archbishop Hazral Vangeli - Prophet of Yalbdalaoth
    [​IMG]

15. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Forceless Construct Warrior
    [​IMG]

This is a redesign of the "Forceless Warrior" from my intro post on this thread. However, both versions of the "rifle pike" exist in Paranormalities canon.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I wanted to say that I really love the look of the Prophet character. It has a modern aesthetic (similar to the Pope), but he's also clearly alien.

Gahmah Raan likes this.
  17. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Slight spoiler: The mask he's wearing doesn't reflect what he looks like underneath (for example, he does have a nose). In fact, he's the same species as Admon Onae, albeit a different ethnic group. In fact, most of the Church's clergy wear masks. But that's not so say the mask could be based on some precursor race or mythological character from Muriga

18. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Mangonk - Power Droid Supreme

[​IMG]

This is a character design I've had on the backburner for a bit of time. I was planning on posting this yesterday as part of a semi-April Fool's joke, but it's too late for that now. This character isn't particularly important to Paranormalities' narrative. In Star Wars meme-speak, this guy's basically a "Glup ****to".

Subject: "Mangonk"
    Model: Monster Droid (base template: GNK Power Droid)
    Gender Programming: Male

The droid only known as Mangonk is a power droid who at some point, had an owner who installed the arms and legs of different protocol droids onto him, making him look rather bizarre. He's also been given a vocabulator that allows him to speak Galactic Basic, albeit distorted to still sound like his natural "Gonkese". Through this speech pattern, he exhibits an outlook on life that is alien to most organics, stating that life's purpose is to "supply power", and he's rather theatrical about it. This is likely a holdover of his original programming as a walking battery, and he wonders why he even has arms.

In theory, he was given more human-like legs to be more mobile, but in practice, this gives him balancing problems. While having arms would also theoretically balance this out, he still has trouble getting back up when he falls over.

19. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    In celebration of Star Wars Day, here is a preview sketch of a character in an upcoming chapter of Paranormalities.
    [​IMG]

This is Medil. They belong to an original alien species known as the Matoki. The Matoki are mechanical lifeforms that while physiologically similar, are very distinct from droids, and their homeworld, Aut Matok, is populated with fauna and flora that are also mechanical.

On a side note, I should mention that being mechanical in nature, Matoki are naturally sexless, but they can have genders. In Medil's case, they are of a non-binary gender. However, Matoki also have a very interesting way of reproducing.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Gamiel and HanSolo29 like this.
  20. noiamyourFADAH

noiamyourFADAH Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 30, 2023
    i love this, Mangonk forever! this would probably go well with my RP, mind if I use it? credit will be given.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Sure. I don't have any major story plans for this character in Paranormalities. This is a very setting-flexible character. And there could be more than one Mangonk.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. noiamyourFADAH

noiamyourFADAH Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 30, 2023
    i was wondering, could you make a Mass-Produced Mangonk Variation?

23. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    I wasn't thinking of doing one yet, since the idea of the Mangonk character was to be a bizarre, Frankenstein's monster of a droid with an equally bizarre life philosophy because of it (as far he's concerned, his purpose in life is to "supply power", even to organics, regardless if "supplying power" would kill them; in other words, taking the idea of a sentient car battery to its logical conclusion by being given extra functions).

But now that you mention it, I can imagine a mass-produced Mangonk being just as weird, if not weirder because of it (we're talking about a model whose function is to be a walking battery, after all).

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    noiamyourFADAH likes this.
  24. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Your designs are so varied and interesting! I especially like Medil.

Gahmah Raan likes this.
  25. Gahmah Raan

Feb 2, 2015
    Medil is finally colored.

Medil - Heir of Aut Matok
    [​IMG]

Subject Name: Medil
    Homeworld: Aut Matok
    Species: Matoki
    Affiliation: Matoki Kingdom

Medil is the heir to the throne of Aut Matok, a world in the Inner Rim that could be mistaken for a planet-sized space station at first glance and is inhabited by many mechanical lifeforms that, unlike droids, are just as connected to the Force as any other organic being.

The Matoki are Aut Matok's dominant sapient species. While relatively isolationist due to millennia of outside anti-droid prejudice, they've kept tabs on the galaxy at large and gained information outside their world due to tapping into the HoloNet (which they simply call "the Network") in the hope that they leave their world someday. However, some Matoki choose to abstain from tapping into the Network for a number of reasons.

However, this ended up becoming a problem when the Forceless Collective invaded Aut Matok, as they decided to use its many mechanical lifeforms as a testbed for a computer virus that can possess artificial intelligence like the symbiotes can possess organics; and this allowed them to send this virus over the HoloNet. Having been forced to flee Aut Matok's capital for a Network-abstinent village, Medil leads a resistance against the Collective, but being forced to kill their own people has been taking a toll on Medil's sense of morality. Medil is also a trained Flight Armor (transforming mechs that change between humanoid and fighter form) pilot and the captain of the Kingdom's Violet Squadron. Their father, King Auskuth, is mildly Force-sensitive and has received visions of aid from Jedi.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023