main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Galactic Alliance Remnant discussion thread (Possible Legacy Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's exactly why the Rebels used 'em. They have the artistic skills of a half-dead Arkanian monk.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    I am hoping that the GACF has a Mon Calamari designed warship in the Legacy-era. I figure that the Mon Cals have the GA shipbuilding contracts tied up the same way KDY had Imperial contracts.

--Adm. Nick

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Erm, right. Sorry about the confusion.

Don't mind Ex.:p

Actually, that's one of the things that concerns me. Ther eseems to be a trend, running all through the movies and some of the EU as well, for the blaster cannons to be mounted further and further apart on the wings or fuselage. Unlike, say, an A-Wing or TIE-Fighter, I'd imagine that shot convergence is going to be a big problem with the CF-9.[face_thinking]

The important thing is that they looked like fighters.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Sean. I hope my comments haven't conveyed any offense.

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Y-wings were alright looking before the rebels yanked all the panels off.

Thanks for dropping by, Sean. Uh, not to be a pain, but could you possibly tell us the length of the Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer? And confirm whether it's meant to be a Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer? Pretty please? :p

5. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Quiet_Mandalorian: Not at all. You're just discussing how you feel about a design. I understand. Ya can't please everybody :)

AdmiralNick22: Well Jan did say in a recent chat:
    <Jan_Duursema> Galactic Alliance Core Forces? We'll see more of them later on.
    <Jan_Duursema> We have more in mind for the GFFA planned out.
    I have talked to DH about ship designs outside that of the Imperials..;)

000: I'm kinda in the dark about that. As far as 'in my own head' goes, I always thought of the Pellaeon as being roughly the same size, if not slightly bulkier, as the II's from ESB/ROTJ. I was surprised to see the "Super" term in there in issue #0. I haven't seen any of Jan's work on the upcoming issues so I don't quite know:
    - whether that was a typo,
    - whether it wasn't and it really is a SSD,
    - whether it wasn't and the use of the term "Super" means something else in Legacy Era.

*shrug* Can't wait to see them though!

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    True enough, and while I'm not overly enamoured of the design, it's hardly the end of the world for me.:p

Besides, I think I'm going to like the Empire much more than the GA in these comics...[face_cowboy]

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Awesome! While I love your Imperial designs, I am a longtime Rebel/NR/GFFA fan, so fighters with "X" shaped wings and lumpy capital ships tend to appeal to me more. :p

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us. I look forward to seeing some of your other designs.

--Adm. Nick

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Seeing as how many Predator fighters had those slats instead of classic-style cockpits, extensive use of sensors seems quite possible.

Regarding the Pellaeon-class, the latest Insider used "Super Star Destroyer."

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hopefully Sean's right about the size of the PSD. I would pull my hair out if the old man got anything bigger than that. :p

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I know, I know, Jan. It's just the name. :p Can nothing in SW sound snazzy these days? :_|

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Aye, I would also be pleased if the new Pellaeon-class is a standard Star Destroyer and not a Super variant. I am hoping that Dark Horse decides to do a handbook for the Legacy series, similar to the old Rogue Squadron handbook. That way we can have greater detail of the various characters, ships, planets, and other info that it part of the new series.

--Adm. Nick

12. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    >>Can nothing in SW sound snazzy these days?<<

What? You don't like the sound of Sith 'Fury'? [face_batting]

Is there no pleasing anyone? :_|

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I would like to see a Star Dreadnought sized warship in Legacy.

Are there any plans for more types of fighters?

14. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Sean has designed a very cool looking main battle cruiser for the Legacy Era Galactic Alliance, and is in the process of designing a fleet of smaller support craft, missile cruisers, and the like. You'll be seeing the first of the GA craft in Legacy #8, I think, and then more and more of them after that.

I know it probably seems like a long time to wait, but there are so many new things to see in Legacy it would a disservice to "dump" them on you all at once.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    OMG! Thank you so much Randy. That just made my day. :)

I wonder if it will be a Mon Cal design or something entirely new...

As for waiting for Legacy 8, it may be a ways off but at least I can start a countdown to seeing the GACF!! :D

--Adm. Nick

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Would it be too much to ask if we'll see any (live) Mandalorians, Randy?:p

17. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    A wide variety of military ships on two sides of a galactic conflict? Further reinforcement of my claim that the Legacy era needs some hardcore space combat games sooner or later. How cool would it be to have a relaunch of the TF/XW series? Star Wars: Crossfire vs. Predator, anyone?

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Actually, this is a huge deal, now that I think about it.

This will be the first time we have a entirely new set of ships for all sides involved. I guess one of the advantages of setting it 100 years after the most current EU means they have alot of room to introduce cool new designs and finally phase out the old ones.

--Adm. Nick

19. Randy_Stradley

Apr 23, 2002
    John and Jan haven't yet come up with a backstory for the design of the GA ships, but what Sean has come up with thus far does have a bit of Mon Cal flavor. It might be that the Mon Cal shipbuilders have teamed with another group. Time will tell.

I don't want to tease you too much, but when I was making suggestions to Sean for starting points, I did suggest a specific species of fish. But he took it an ran with it and came up with something much cooler -- and much different from any previous SW ship designs -- than what I was envisioning.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks for these little hints Randy. :)

It would be awesome to see a Alliance battle cruiser that combined several styles of shipbuilding. It would be very interesting to see the Mon Calamari team up with another major NR/GFFA shipbuilder to produce the latest generation of warship for the Alliance. :D

Any chances of a Legacy handbook that will fill in little details like that? I mentioned earlier that the old Rogue Squadron handbook was a awesome way to get backstory that would not fit into the comics.

--Adm. Nick

21. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Legacy 8 is a very LONG wait though...

Missile ships... I wonder if those are related to the Torpedo Spheres?

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, but maybe between now and then they will release little spoilers that will please us fanboys. :D

Besides, even if we do not actually see the Galactic Alliance until #8, there may be references to it. I am still convinced that the loyalist Fel Imperials will try to get the Alliance to help them combat the Sith-controled Empire.

--Adm. Nick

23. Randy_Stradley

Apr 23, 2002
    I probably should have said "torpedo ships," since I don't remember instances of missiles being used in the OT. But the new ships are definitely not spherical!

And: the Pellaeon-class should just be listed as a "Star Destroyer" -- not a "Super." John put that in and I forgot to remove it from issue #0. I don't think Fel's Empire had/has the resources, or the need, for Super Star Destroyers.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks for clearing that up Randy. There has been alot of debate about that. Is the Pellaeon-class deployed by just Fel's loyalists or by the Sith as well?

A torpedo ship makes sense. A great support ship to back up battle cruisers and other capital ships.

--Adm. Nick

25. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Hah! I told you guys. Standard SD, not SSD.

Thanks for the clarification Randy and Sean. I'll post more later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.