main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galactic Alliance Remnant discussion thread (Possible Legacy Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm liking the Pellaeon more each time I see it, although I'm not to keen on naming a ship-of-the-line class after ol' cut 'n' run.

Were you at all inspired by the old battlecruisers from Marvel, Madine? The depiction on the cover of #8 reminds me of them more than slightly.

Which is a good thing, as I rather liked alot of those designs.

2. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    In all honesty I can't rule the Marvel influence out. I've been recently picking up alot of the "A long time ago.." TPBs and I love them so I wouldn't be surprised if some similiar elements showed up in the future. :) I do start thinking back to unused OT designs as a guide as well. McQuarrie, Johnston, Rodis-Jamero.

I never caught the original Marvel run, I steered more towards the Goodwin/Williamson Classic run. But reading them now, they are so unique and fun in their own way. Very much a series of swashbuckling, bigger than life adventure tales. And some of the designs are wacky, but still very Star Wars.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am very interested in seeing the GA missile ship and the other support ships that you are working on. Do your GA ships all follow a similar design influence or do they vary?

--Adm. Nick

4. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    I really don't want to say too much until they are revealed at some point by DH...I think it would be a reasonable guess on the readers part that they would share the same basic overall design philosophies.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Are you at liberty to say whether the "hammerhead" is located at the bow of the ship or somewhere in the middle? That rear shot makes it hard to tell.

--Adm. Nick

6. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    Here's a good shot of the front of the Cruiser. Tsuneo Sanda's artwork for the upcoming Panel to Panel Sequel...
    http://sandaworld.sakura.ne.jp/works/newwork12/

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Awesome. The Scythe-class definately combines the streamlined, lumpish hull of a Mon Calamari cruiser with the fan-favorite "hammerhead" look from the KOTOR Republic cruisers.

Mr. Cooke, damned fine work. One of the best new designs I have seen in the EU in years. =D=

I understand that the Galactic Alliance appears in both Legacy#8 and #9, so I am hoping that we will get a good look at the Scythe-class. Maybe even a look at some of your other designs...

--Adm. Nick

8. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    Cool painting! Love the GA cruiser! Can't wait how all the fighters look and the ga groundtroops(I do hope they don't look like rebeltroops and have something unique so you would yhink.....hmmm that's a GA trooper)

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am excited about the prospect of seeing a actual symbol for the Galactic Alliance. There has never been a confirmed symbol that is used for the GA, though many suspect that the symbol used on the NJO books (Alliance Starbird with sun behind) is the GA symbol.

In regards to the Alliance troops, I actually hope that they do has some similarities to the old Rebel troopers. Personally, I would like to see GA troops using a variation of the helmets we see Rebel/NR troops throughout the movies, EU books, comics, etc.

(Glances at shot of the Scythe-class again)

Damn, thats a good looking warship. :D

--Adm. Nick

10. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    Can't say I'm a big fan of the new GA core cruiser. The "hammerhead" looks too big. And another thing, I didn't spot Boba Fett in the image...

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, it is hard to tell the exact size from the angle shown. Hopefully #8 or #9 will show the blueprint ofthe Scythe-class.

Besides, that hammerhead feature houses torpedo launchers, starfighter launch bays, etc. I personally think it to be a very interesting and attractive design. Both of the main cap ships in the Legacy-era are very unique when compared to other EU designs. As already mentioned, the Alliance battle cruiser is a wonderful hybrid between the Hammerhead KOTOR cruisers and Mon Cal cruisers. The Pellaeon-class, on the other hand, combines elements of Jabba's sail barge with a American Civil War iron clad.

Madine, does the hammerhead house other key systems like turbolaser batteries and shields or are those systems found in the main hull?

--Adm. Nick

12. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003

But if the Fel line was started by Jaina and Jagged....and Cade and Fel's daughter....oi, not again.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    We don't know if the Fel line was started by Jaina and Jag, and even if it was they'd be third or fourth or fifth cousins.

Secondly, will we have an Empire ruled by an Emperor, or will GFFA revert back to Democractic Republic style?

On the other hand, wasn't Scythe already a class of Adumari Fighter/support base in X-Wing 9? Any other instances of repetition of Class names?

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hard to say. I have a hunch that Emperor Fel would be inclined to rejoin a reconstituted Galactic Alliance after the Sith are defeated. Afterall, the Empire was a member of the Alliance until the Sith tricked them into declaring war. Once the galaxy learns that the Sith were behind the sabotage of Project Ossus, worlds will probably rejoin the Alliance in droves.

Afterall, the only reason the Empire and other memberworlds of the Alliance left was because they thought the Vong sabotaged Project Ossus.

--Adm. Nick

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    No. Oh Force, no...

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/cf/RebelSpecForce.JPG]
    More of that. Less goofy oval salad bowl + no visible armor.

And I like the Scythe-class, but looking at Sanda's rendition, the hammerhead looks too tall compared to the rest of the ship and I'd prefer if they lost the blisters for a smoother look.

17. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Well since the Stormies seem to be wearing that kickass armor (or something similar to it), I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least something like that out of the GA.

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

I'm sigging that. [face_laugh]

18. KNJO

KNJO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2004
    I like the Scythe-class cruiser, it looks kinda like a combination of Home One with the Harbinger from KOTOR II.

I wonder though, would the new GA cruiser have any trouble firing its main turbolaser batteries for a frontal attack? The "hammerhead" prevents spine mounted batteries from firing towards the front, the torpedos will give them awesome short range fire-power but the long range striking ability of other designs will be negated here.

19. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Big ugly kriffer, there. The Gil-class is nice though, even if the name is a travesty.

20. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    The hammerhead shapes leading edge comes to almost a soft point, while it's aft end is much thicker. (a forward facing wedge.) This makes the forward batteries on both sides of the wedge(those rows of bumps running vertically down the shape) have an unobstructed view of the forward angle.

I'll leave it up to somebody else to write exactly whats in that part of the hull as far as specs go, but I did have one of the fighter bays placed on the hammerhead.

EDIT: As far as the Predators are concerned. That's personally how I had envisioned them, but they were angled on thier side in the comics...which is the direction I thought they were taking. But obviously here they're back to right side up. *shrug*

I just thought this vertical angle was more unique and weird and less "classic TIE" - ish. They form a good contrast with the Imperial shuttle (on the right) this way I think.

21. KNJO

KNJO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2004
    Sweet! Thx for the info! That actually gives the ship to attack multiple targets at once. The "Hammerhead" can target the frontal targets while the other batteries on the hull can be concentrated on enemies trying to flank them from the sides.

Do you happen to know how many fighters this ship carries, and if it had any unique systems like the Mon Mothma's interdiction capabilities in the later half of the NJO?

22. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006

Both the angels will do fine. I prefer the ones you see in legacy 1, but i like these ones too. Are the red ship markings still in use, with the ga for example? Are you considering another type of legacy tiefighter like the tie intercepter from rotj? And is the cockpit of the new Imperial shuttle on the top of the box or at the bottom?
    By the way, the designs for legacy are as good as the ones they designed for the movies!!
    Outstanding work!!!=D=

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    A very happy bump! :D

With new info!

So, in light of Legacy #10, I wanted to sum up the known Galactic Alliance units and see if we get lucky and have Sean Cooke or Randy stop on by to join the discussion.

Here is the current list of known GA ships in the Legacy comics:

1. Scythe-class battle cruiser- main GA warship

2. Sabertooth-class warship- class unknown, but possibly a cruiser or frigate

3. Galactic Alliance missile cruiser- yet to be seen, but a cruiser nonetheless.

4. Galactic Alliance support ship- most likely a corvette-sized ship, though possibily a frigate.

5. Galactic Alliance shuttle- pretty obvious what this is. It is armed, however.

6. CF9 Crossfire starfighter- yet to be seen, but obviously the main GA fighter

On top of this, we have learned that Admiral Gar Stazi assumed command of the GA fleet in the aftermath of the defeat at Caamas. Possibily the head of the overall GA Remnant, but at this point he is just confirmed to be its military commander.

We saw a brief shot of GA troops as well- blue uniforms, which vaguely remind me of American Civil War uniforms.

And, #10 showed us the GA support ship even though it was not in the issue. A true bonus/gift from our friends at Dark Horse.

Unfortunately, the proposed GA/Fel alliance did not come together at this point. However, I have a hunch that they will end up joining forces down the road.

--Adm. Nick

24. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    It seems possible that #2 and #4 are one and the same.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Look at the pics. Both #9 and #10 show the Sabertooth to have a single prow, with a which bumbs on it. Furthermore, the Sabertooth has a tapered stern coming to a point.

Now look at the blueprint for the GA support ship. Two prong, rounded stern, different altogether. :D

Which means we got two new ships!

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.