main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Galactopolitics in the unknown regions Legends discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So we know very little about the galactopolitical situation in the unknown regions and western galactic quadrant. In Choices of One it is stated Nuso Esva has built an empire stretching to the border of imperial space, the Killiks, Ssi-Ruu, Vaagari, and Chiss also hold territories here.

I wonder what is the political situation like in the western galactic quadrant? Multiple competing empires, dark cults, and other terrors as Mara was told once? A sort of stable multipolar system? After all no matter how warlike no one wants the Mnngal-Mnngal to spread.

Thoughts?

MercenaryAce and Darth Caliban like this.
  2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I imagine between the Chiss Ascendancy and the Empire of the Hand, at least part of the UR is quite civilized. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hand became a formal part of the Empire sometime during Legacy. With the Chiss' new position in galactic politics the UR may very well be modernised, with most of the empires absorbed by the big players.

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Aren't there also remnants of the Rakata Empire?

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Not a remnant even just a little smattering of ruined planets and transplanted species.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I imagine the whole region is very Star Trekian, or Babylon 5-ian - lots of single race small states engaging all fighting, talking, and trading, without knowing much beyond their immediate neighbors.

7. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well based on what we know from the map we can make a reasonable guess.

The far south is dominated by the Ssi-Ruuk and Pwek stretching from near Bakura out through the galactic arm there. (Red on Map)

The Vaagari seem t mostly be mobile slavers, so while they may hold territory I suspect that it isn't much.

The Killiks control a central core of territory between the Ascendency and roughly where Ilum was (Yellow on Map)

The Chiss Ascendency is more or less placed in the middle, and its unclear what exactly the Empire of the Hand holds. But I would assume a lot of space between there and the New Republic. That also squares with the Killik/Chiss conflict of Dark Nest. (Dark Blue: Ascendency, Light Blue EOTH)

Nuso Esva is harder to really place, but presumably given that is to the border of "Imperial Space" is at the north end. (Green on map)

I'd predict that the map looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Image not working, link here: https://ibb.co/fusmTk

It does leave a large area of "we have no idea what's going on" in the region occupied by Zenoma Sekot. This could be the area dominated by the Vaagari and leftover parts of the Rakata. But there's nothing that I'm aware of that covers this.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I never thought the Ssi Ruu Imperium was ever that large.

The rest of the map looks good to me.

It does however leave large fractions of the western quadrant uncharted and unmapped.

A Star Trek like scenario might be likely such as the AQ prior to the dominion war or the DQ before and after Borg space in relation to Voyager's path of course.

At the same time there is no telling what is out there.

9. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007

I'm mostly guessing based on the old NJO maps which don't specifically define the borders, but seem to imply a pretty long "tail" stretching out from Bakura based on placement of the letters.

[​IMG]

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It certainly has it followers and cultists ;)

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Other factions to consider include the Ebruchi (minor players stalking the spacelanes between the Known Galaxy and Chiss space), the Lugubraa (hired muscle used by various factions, but which occasionally asexually overtake entire planets), the Croke, and the Sorcerers of Rhand.

I'm pretty sure the Ssi-Ruuk Star Cluster was always intended to be the little cluster of dots above the "Ssi." It's a globular cluster, not a galactic arm.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m pretty sure the worlds of Nuso Evsa were on the map with coordinates and everything.

As was every world mentioned in Legends in the UR - even Zakuul(?), but not Iokath.

We did have a map with the EotH shown in the Atlas, generically. In Legends it went up to Ilum...? So between Nirauan and Ilum, at least.

Of course the only FO world we know with any certainty is not-Ilum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Bomber Command, and Cobalt Squadron, did provide some background on the FO world Hays Minor (where the Tico sisters come from), in the Otomok System (Bomber Command shows where the Otomok system is on the galaxy map - it looks fairly close to Coruscant, but "west" of it).

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve Bomber Command en route so that’s good to know!

15. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    OHhhhhhhhhh. I always thought that was artistic licence like the other dots around the edge of the galaxy but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

Sinrebirth and jSarek like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The implication in Jedi Search was that their territory, while not known for certain, was even larger than the Imperial Remnant of the time:

“This is our galaxy,” Mon Mothma said. “We have meticulously plotted every recorded system. These stars”—she waved her hand, and a wash of blue spangled across the arms of the galaxy—“have already sworn their allegiance to the New Republic. Others have remained neutral, though not unfriendly to our cause.” A sprinkling of green appeared among the stars.

“The darkened area is what remains of the Ssi Ruuk Imperium.” She indicated a splotch covering a portion of one spiral arm. “We have not yet fully explored their worlds, though it has been seven years since Imperial and Alliance forces joined hands at Bakura to drive out the invaders.

“Finally,” Mon Mothma said, “we know of these systems that still remain loyal to the fallen Empire.” A much smaller splash of red dusted the image, concentrated primarily toward the galactic core, from which the resurrected Emperor had launched his forces. “As you can see, your support is dwindling rapidly.”

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I can't imagine the Ssi Ruuk imperium was that large given that the Ssi Ruu believed they needed to die on their own planet.

Ghost likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I expect they just consecrated each world they conquered.

19. Purpilia

Purpilia Jedi Master

Jan 2, 2010
    There was also the so-called Dark Worlds ruled by Zeta Magnus somewhere out there. His kingdom supposedly boarded the Chiss, Ssi-Ruuvi, and the Sorcerers of Rhand.

Sinrebirth and jSarek like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That helps, as it places it at a minimum between Csilla and Lwhekk, but it also places Rhand itself on the west or east side of the Unknown Regions if the Dark Worlds are in the middle of the two...

21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Think it depends on if we considering New Canon species like the Grysk and some memorable characters for example to also exist, although unseen in the stories we know, also to live in the Legends universe/timeline.

I prefer to think they do, because it would be far more fascinating to speculate about the implications and what happened with them through the course of history and what they did or are up to in Legends.

MercenaryAce and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Though the new map does give us almost all of the FO Unknown Regions planets now.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Agreed.

Plus, I just like the idea of the Unknown Regions being filled with countless micro-states rather than a handful of big empires.

Oh cool, wonder if that could be used to speculate on their borders...

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well with the FO Known Space borders already known too, it's pretty much from Ilum to Bastion, as we half-expected.

25. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    That would place some Legends UR species within FO space though most likely and thus either have the FO defeating them or subjugating them, or not minding them. How continous the FO truly is is another question as it rather was spread thin and raided worlds for what it needed on a kinda medieval-esque taxcollection base and did not keep all its territory permanently guarded with garrissons.

Has anybody yet posted an overlay of Legends and the latest Celebration canon map? Even better if one that also has all TOR MMO UR worlds from Zakuul, Lehon etc.