main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Galaxy Noir: Galaxy of Suspects (A CorSec Mystery - Complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Face, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Now that Kaede and I are no longer an item, I think I can say that I never liked you.?

Rawp!

The sudden bark caused a startled Remy to throw himself back against the wall.

I?m guessing the feeling is mutual :p

I don?t see any way Detective Begg could possibly still be alive

And which one gets the enviable task of telling Remy?

I can?t imagine him sitting the investigation out, even with Thief attached to his leg.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Out of that whole great post, this is what stood out for me. :p

?I feel like it?s a lightyear away and I have an Ewok?s armspan,? Remy said.

Loved it! =D=

3. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Great post.

DaRusso's an idiotic jerk.

But I'm really liking Remy, that's for sure!

4. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Dorothea: Yeah, Remy?ll be waiting a long time for Jav to stop taking things literally.

I don't know what 'wagyx' means, but I gots a guess.

You?re probably close. ;)

Raptor: There?s a clue to the label in that last scene of Chapter Five. [face_whistling]

Ale: Perhaps if he watched some CSI, DaRusso could catch up to you? :p

Glad you?re liking the build of Jav and Remy?s partnership. It?s tricky trying to go back and show how characters got to be the way they are.

CF: Good to see cross-over material mentioned. I got to have a lot of fun with things like that in this fic, mostly with Luton?s User-verse, since GoS takes place about a year after Episode 1-1 in a nearby location.

?Wagyx? might be a bit harsh, but woman scorned, fury, etcetera.

And now, stop it with the cliffies already, will you?!

Mmmmmm? No. ;) I?m taking a page from 24?s book with this one. [face_devil]

Nat: It appears Sonar was drinking and packing because he was planning on moving away now that he?d quit his job. Of course, as a mystery I?m not allowed to verify that?s the whole story, even if it is. Thus is the obnoxiousness of the genre. :p

Return [:D]

Thumper: It?s a shame LOL has been abused; now it?s hard to be sincere when you really do laugh out loud.

Poor Remy just isn?t having a good day. :(

KELIA: I think that?s a darn good guess. :p And Remy doesn?t know when to quit, regardless of angry dogs? wishes.

Kim: Colorful metaphors are a long-standing film noir tradition. If Jav won?t play along, then Remy will just have to supply them himself. :D

Laine: For the longest time during planning, I hadn?t thought up DaRusso?s name yet, so I had ?CorSec Jerk? as a stand-in. True story. :p

EVERYBODY: Thanks so much for reading and replying!!

5. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    And now, here?s a detectivework-centric post as we build up to some imminent action.

[b]Chapter Seven: Outsides[/b]

[i]Kelona 6, 1201
    Ryred Apartments, Southeast Complex, Room 22D
    Bortelles, Corellia[/i]

Remy looked up as the Duro man and Corellian woman walked back out of the apartment, Jav holding a small brown box. ?What?s that??

?It?s a duraplast package, but that?s not important right now. What we need to find out is what?s [i]inside.[/i]?

[i]This guy is like a ?Division 29? actor being fed comedy lines, and he doesn?t even realize it.[/i] Remy kept the jab inside. [i]My skills of detection are telling me we could find out what?s inside by [/i]opening[i] it![/i] Remy kept the sarcastic joke inside as well. ?And??

?Maybe you know something about it?? Jav showed the CorSec officer the top of the box, where Remy?s name was scrawled in Sonar?s handwriting.

He frowned. ?I don?t know anything about it.? He accepted the package and popped it open. The three cops all stared down into it.

Kaede spoke into the stuffy silence. ?It?s a? knick-knack.?

Remy reached in and pulled out the sole occupant of the box ? a small sculpture of a horse. It was made of glittery peach-colored stone, about a handspan long, and depicted the horse rearing up on its hind legs.

The horse also had a horn on its head.

?It?s a [i]tacky[/i] knick-knack,? Kaede corrected herself.

?Why a horse?? Jav asked.

?[i]Tsk tsk tsk.[/i]? Remy shook his head. ?The horn on its head shows that this is no mere horse ? or knick-knack. It?s a mythical creature from a far-away magical land. Now, if you?ll excuse me, I believe Sonar wanted me to have this.?

?That came from a crime scene,? protested Jav.

?Oh I?m sorry, did you want it?? Remy turned to hold out the shiny statuette.

Jav looked at the fake jewels glued into its horn. ?You know what? You keep it.?

Remy smirked and walked away, patting a leery Thief on the head as he went.

Jav and Kaede exchanged a glance. ?So I understand you dated him??

?Shaddup.?

[i]Kelona 6, 1304
    Corellian Communities, Bortelles Location, Apartment 203
    Bortelles, Corellia[/i]

Remy walked past his kitchenette, into his bedroom-office ? pausing only to leave his hat on the counter. Dropping his keycard and an Ithorian takeout box onto his desk, he reached into his coat pocket. He produced the statuette from Sonar?s apartment, which only seemed uglier now, in proper light. Remy turned it over and ran his fingers over the base. He hit upon two aberrations in the otherwise smooth surface. The first was the raised phrase ?Made on Sullust?. The other was a thin, deep cut near one edge.

The Corellian opened a drawer in his desk, and removed the knife that had been taped there. With a little effort, he had it wedged into the crack. Leverage popped the base?s bottom surface right off. Remy reached into the hollow base, and found only one item ? a datacard, marked ?In case of emergency.?

Sonar?s disappearance certainly seemed like emergency enough to Remy. He slid the card into his personal terminal. The screen lit up with a display requesting password verification. Remy started typing.

[i]ENTER PASSWORD:
    djerrobegg

ACCESS DENIED
    ENTER PASSWORD:
    remydiabet

ACCESS DENIED
    ENTER PASSWORD:
    realbutterflavor

ACCESS GRANTED[/i]

?He knows me, all right.?

The monitor now exploded with information. Files and files scrolled before Remy?s eyes, many with familiar names. The first few that caught his attention were named ?Edairu_Benali?, ?Zelvyn_Judas?, ?Begg_Murders_Casefile?, and ?Shivalla? respectively. The next was the one that made him nearly choke on his Ithorian noodles.

[i]?The_Royal?[/i]

Remy opened the file. Accomplices, employees, crimes, aliases, dental records, and tax returns of Welc ?The Royal? Ryred stared him square in the face. Sonar had been building a case against the Royal. The digital dossier gave extensive history on the crime lord?s activities, and detailed information into how hi

6. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Nice trick with unicorn. Liked how the Weequay was handled, also.

Raptor517

7. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes Face, as per your memo, I am in fact naked while reading...

It?s a mythical creature from a far-away magical land.

-Seen only by those who sample from Jabba's hooka...

Jav?s rust-red eyes flicked to the BlasTech on the collector?s belt, and the black-gloved hand hovering near it. Jav peered up at the Weequay from under his heavy brow. He pulled his coat back to show the badge and pistol on his own. ?I was just about to ask you about life insurance.?

-I thought Jav didn't like guns, or was it Remy? But wait, last itme I checked, I'm certain Remy was the one with the sense of humor.

He came ?round day before yesterday, makin? real careful to r?main anonymous. Wearin? one a them trenchcoats, and a hat, and keepin? his head real low. All I could get was his species an? that he was 30 or so. Big guy, gruff voice.
    [face_thinking]

Excellenté!!! =D=

8. Jedi_Eruanne

Jedi_Eruanne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    A postie!!

?It?s a duraplast package, but that?s not important right now. What we need to find out is what?s inside.?
    I love Jav...*sigh* Hahaha

?It?s a tacky knick-knack,? Kaede corrected herself.
    *snickers* Good one, Sonar. ;) Give him something so obnoxious looking that no one else will want to look at it. ;) Heehee

ACCESS DENIED
    ENTER PASSWORD:
    realbutterflavor

HAHAHAHA!!!

?I was just about to ask you about life insurance.?
    Can I hear an 'OH, SNAP!'?

Very good postie, Nathan! I am enjoying Jav immensely, and Remy...well, let's just say I'm very jealous of Messuni, and also feel very sorry for her. Hahaha

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    While we work, maybe you could go down to target practice. Try not to throw up.?

OUch!

Remy looked down at Thief. Thief looked up at him. ?Now that Kaede and I are no longer an item, I think I can say that I never liked you.?

Rawp!

The sudden bark caused a startled Remy to throw himself back against the wall.

It's little tidbits like this that really make a story special.

ENTER PASSWORD:
    realbutterflavor

ACCESS GRANTED

:D :D :D

ONly thing about getting behind is getting to read more than one post. [:d]

10. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Really, "CorSec Jerk"? That's awesome!

Great post. I figured the world's ugliest figurine was bound to have something in it; and that Sonar trusts and knows Remy that well.

Thanks for the PM.

11. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Sonar had been building a case against the Royal

Well that explains why he was targeted but I somehow have a feeling the Royal will not be satisfied with Sonar's death. He's going to want those files....

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

would y? like to donate to the landscape improvement fund??

?Landscape?? Jav looked around the desperate urban neighborhood. ?What landscape??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Nice bit of comic relief you worked in there.

I liked how Jav handled himself with him.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Just wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still reading! :p Thanks for the PM's.

Back with some proper comments later!

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    ACCESS DENIED
    ENTER PASSWORD:
    realbutterflavor

ACCESS GRANTED

?He knows me, all right.?

[face_laugh] =D=

14. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    While I'm still catching up with reading and reviewing chapter, here's something to make this post of procrastination worthwhile for everyone. :p

[image=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3514/remycopy1gm2.jpg]

I'm sure Mr. Waffles and Pancake approves. O:)

15. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Raptor: Sonar can be pretty sharp. Even after getting shot up. :p

Ale: Yes Face, as per your memo, I am in fact naked while reading?

Oh Ale, somehow I knew you would be.

Remy has the sense of humor and fear of guns and knows it. Jav is funny generally less intentionally. ;)

Eruanne: Jav may have had some help from ?Airplane.? [face_whistling]

*obligingly provides ?oh snap?*

Leona: ?Realbutterflavor? is the strongest and best of all passwords! :D

Laine: Maybe after this, Remy can send it in to Guinness for that ?World?s Ugliest Figurine? record.

KELIA: Well that explains why he was targeted but I somehow have a feeling the Royal will not be satisfied with Sonar's death. He's going to want those files....

[face_whistling]

amidalachick: Well I appreciate the readership. :)

Kim: Remy?s files are super-secure; that?s for sure.

CF: *tear* That?s beautiful, man.

EVERYBODY: As always, thank you for reading and replying!

Tresler lied; this update doesn't cost a thing.

Dramatis Personae

Bortelles CorSec
    Regional Director Jek Greeres: Human from Corellia. Long-time head of Bortelles CorSec.
    Remy Diabet: Human from Corellia. One of the few clean CorSec officers in his city, Djerro?s partner.
    Djerro ?Sonar? Begg: Human from Corellia. Remy?s partner, who left a life of wealth after his family was slain by a serial killer.
    Kaede Thylum: Human from Corellia. The Bortelles animal expert, with a trained Corellian slice hound named Thief.
    Brigan DaRusso: Human from Corellia. Citec?s partner, has feud with Remy.
    Meih Diabet: Human from Corellia. Remy?s sister, and rookie lab tech in forensics.
    Citec: Selonian from Corellia. DaRusso?s partner, concerned almost exclusively for the interests of his fellow Selonians.

Duro
    Detective Inspector Jav Yonx: Duro from Duro. Synth?s partner.
    Detective Sergeant Synth Lydon: Human from Duro. Genius cop, Jav?s partner.
    Detective Inspector Kroma Sheik: Rodian from Duro. Jav?s friend, recently arrested for murder.
    Detective Sergeant Edairu Benali: Human from Duro. Died working with Remy on a case involving the SynMal Trading Company.

The Royal?s Organization
    Welc ?The Royal? Ryred: Human from Corellia. Wealthy head of Reissh Shipyards, and a crime lord who essentially owns the city.
    Zelvyn Judas: Gand, origin unknown. Cyborg enforcer with a death wish.
    Wynt Tlach: Human from Corellia. Armored bounty hunter and on-again off-again enforcer for the Royal.
    Muerban Mannox: Human from Imperial Center. Hitman with cybernetic eyes.

Bortelles
    Petric Tavil: Human from Ando. Head of SynMal?s Bortelles branch, the business Remy and Benali were investigating for connections to the Duro and Corellian underworlds.
    Doctor Natille Kavuertes: Human from Joralla. ?Discreet medical service? who assisted Benali with the cuts on his arms.
    Katyana Ryred: Human from Corellia. Wife of the Royal, who doesn?t approve of his more ruthless tactics.
    Lindo June: Devaronian from Nar Shaddaa. Owner of a pawn shop on Stranger Street, a non-human slum.

[b]Chapter Eight: Insides[/b]

[i]Kelona 6, 1728
    Bortelles, Corellia[/i]

?Thanks for agreeing to meet me.?

?Shut it, CorSec. We do this on [i]my[/i] terms. And chances are, those terms?ll be that we don?t do anything at all.?

Remy stood in an alleyway of the other man?s choosing, under an early evening drizzle. According to the notes Sonar left for Remy, the man was a mid-level bookie for the Royal, and Sonar?s best source of information on that organization. His name was Gil Tresler. He was in his late 40s, but his salt-and-pepper hair and stress-wrinkled face suggested a more advanced age. A thick mustache was draped over his upper lip; thick eyebrows cast sh

16. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    The inclusion of a unicorn makes everything better. :D ;)

Whew, Sonar has been busy on lots of different things. I'm not familiar with the "Shivalla" name, and I'm curious to see why Remy noticed that one. All that info on The Royal must be like a goldmine to Remy.

Lindo June was an interesting character, especially with watching the game show, LOL.

The red embers on the end of the cigarette between his teeth were like a demonic eye in the dark.

That was just a darn cool line.

"...The connection is you."

Okay, Jav, now is the time to disassociate yourself from Remy. :p

At first I was going to make a few comments on how Kaede was leaking info to The Royal, though she seemed to have understandable reasons to do so. But then I couldn't, not after what happened to her. :( She was a cool character, and she died trying to help Remy and Jav... man... That's so sad. :( The number of even halfway-trustworthy CorSec officers in Bortelles seems to be decreasing exponentially right now.

And who's gonna take care of Thief?

Looks like Jav and Remy are in for a world of hurt if they don't get out of there soon. [face_worried]

Great updates, and I'm looking forward to more! :)

-Thumper

17. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Yeah, crossovers with other fanfic authors are pretty neat. I did that with Q_M, too, he and his brother Kenobi_Kid let me use Eclan, Joras and Kaz in a chapter in my current story. Sort of a collab chapter, it's quite fun. :D

Although you'll probably never see it yourself, I gave Perdition a small unauthorized cameo in "Pariah", too.... [face_whistling] [face_blush]

Glad to hear you like it. :) When I saw that thread, it was the first thing that jumped into my mind, and I just had to do that Photoshop job.

But now, to stop it with the procrastination already, to the chapters I missed.

Outsides

[face_thinking] A small unicorn sculpture... that can only mean... um.... dunno? :eek: Perhaps that's not all that meets the eye.... *overly conspiratorial tone*

[face_laugh]

:D [face_dancing] That's one of those lines that literally cause a "lol". [face_laugh]

:eek: "Gaping" is the proper expression. Sonar and Remy: Dead Men [face_worried]

I like that detail, now it's going to get seedy and gritty. Love the whole following passage, great atmosphere you're describing there. As is the rest of your chapter, I admire your skill on tight and gripping dialogue! =D= [face_peace]

[face_worried] If he's talkin bout Sonar, you better have a good explanation! [face_not_talking] ... :p

Insides

If that isn't what already happened, anyway. Your stepping on dangerous ground, Remy. What if Tresler was double-crossing Sonar?

*reads on* Oh, well. Review-as-you-go is a nice thing, 'cos now I got my answers... or so it seems? [face_thinking] You should think, though, that he would know his way round better than to turn up in a dead alley, working there and all. :oops:

Like I said, Sonar and Remy: Dead Men. :p Interesting news about Kaede's character, too, to find out how she fits into the corrupt CorSec world.

And now, Remy, it's your turn. Runner extraordinaire, no?

o_O Oh, Jax... er.. Jav, that's just very bright. 8-} But good call on the slugthrower and the resemblance of the cases, at least. :p

Then agai

18. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    You have a knack for killing off both sides...I like it.

Raptor517

19. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Good post.

But at least our boys know that they're being chased, even if Kaede had to die for it.

Thanks for the PM.

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I like the way the body count is getting higher. :p [face_devil] I'm just like that. :p

Great post! =D=

21. Jedi_Eruanne

Jedi_Eruanne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    *sniffle* I need a kleenex...I dunno why I even bother getting attached to your characters, Nathan. I need a hug... *goes off to find her cat*

Fantastic post, Nathan! I am super-duper saddened by Kaede's death, but I sorta knew it was gonna happen (knowing you). Very cool tying the two together...poor Remy. Gotta love bein' the missing link. *snickers at mental image*

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    ?Maybe I?ll comm you.?

Don't you just love helpful people. o_O

Zelvyn Judas shot him in the head.

:eek: Whoa! Perhaps he should have been more helpful. Obiviously couldn't have hrut.

Her mouth twitched in a faint lop-sided smile. ?You too, buddy?? She stopped trembling.

Nooo! :_|

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Poor girl :( I kinda liked her. And what's Thief going to do without her?

The connection to Remy is VERY interesting. I'm curious as to why they're all lose to him.

And the real butter flavor cracked me up :D

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    he had at least an idea about what Sonar was up to

I knew it!

I see Royal isn't one for patience and taking time to find out who knows what and who's doing what before acting. [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

I don't suppose Remy is going to take Thief in? :p

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

25. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Thumper: The inclusion of a unicorn makes everything better.

Doesn?t it though?

The cigarette image was one of my favorites as well (if I get to say so myself :p).

CF: I gave Perdition a small unauthorized cameo in "Pariah", too....

>:eek:

No that?s awesome!

If he's talkin bout Sonar, you better have a good explanation!

[face_saying_nothing]

You should think, though, that he would know his way round better than to turn up in a dead alley, working there and all.

He was a pencil-pusher; he didn?t bother to learn his way around the docks themselves. Seems he should have bothered.

Heh, and I was worried the ?dog with dead owner? was clichéd enough as it was. ;)

Raptor: Me too. In a, uh, totally non-sadistic way.

Laine: And the chasing is forthcoming?

Mrs. V: It?s like a prerequisite, actually. ;)

Eruanne: Aww. Don?t give up on getting attached to characters though; that?s part of my job description. What if I?m fired?! [face_worried]

Leona: Helpful doesn?t make the dead less dead, so maybe he shoulda made himself useful. :p

Nat: Yeah. :(

Connection to Remy will be followed up.

KELIA: Looks that way about Mr. Ryred. As for Remy, he and Thief are not joining each other?s fan clubs just yet. :p

Thank you everyone!!! [:D]

[b]Chapter Nine: Power Shifts[/b]

Jav and Remy burst through the door, into the hotel?s back lot. They could hear the Royal?s men entering the lobby. A voice saying ?Cripes, they shot Mannox? was the last thing audible before the door closed behind them.

?Where?s your speeder?? Remy asked.

?I walked. Where?s yours??

?I walked!? Remy exhaled through clenched teeth. ?Okay.? He moved to a dark green landspeeder and began slicing into its controls.

?What are you doing??

?Cleaning their lock. What do you [i]think[/i] I?m doing?? The speeder started up with a satisfying rumble. A smile briefly played across Remy?s lips before they returned to the stony resolve he?d had since the blaster shot that killed Kaede. ?Get in.?

Jav got in. The speeder coasted forward out of the lot, and into the alley to which it connected. ?What kind of cop,? Jav asked, ?knows how to steal a speeder??

?They call us CorSec.?

Remy pulled out into the street, and hit the accelerator hard. Jav glanced back. No less than three black speeders were tailing them. ?Three on us.?

?I see ?em.?

A blaster bolt hit the back of their vehicle, leaving a black score. ?Care to [i]lose[/i] them, CorSec??

?I don?t see [i]you[/i] driving.?

?Which do you need help with ? the steering or the pedals??

?I think it says more about [i]you[/i],? Remy replied with gritted teeth as he swerved around a corner through honking traffic, ?that I can?t tell whether you?re serious or mocking me.?

?It?s just that most people do both all by themselves,? Jav pressed.

?Most people don?t have a side-seat passenger telling them what to do.?

?You seem to need one.?

?You seem to need a punch to the mouth.?

The sarcasm was thick in Jav?s voice. ?Oh, [i]wow.[/i] Careful where you swing that wit, CorSec. Somebody could get a paper cut.?

Two more blaster bolts hit the speeder.

?My [i]name[/i] is Remy.?

?If you?re looking for an apology for that, call up your parents.?

?Oh Jav, whenever are we going to introduce you to them??

Another shot connected.

?Shut up and drive!?

?[i]Shut up?[/i]? Remy repeated, aghast. ?You could shave your shiny noggin with a rebuttal that sharp!?

?Don?t [i]even[/i] attack the head.?

?Right, because where you?ve got your head, that?d be below the belt ? albeit the other side.?

Before Jav could respond, Remy grabbed his commlink and started broadcasting an open call aid on the CorSec channel. Unlikely any Bortelles cops would bother stopping the Royal?s men, but it was worth a try.

Jav shot Remy a glare before sticking his hea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.