main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Galaxy's Dump (A Paradoxical Echoes OOC/OOG discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Bravo, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    New Canon post-ROTJ, "proving how much of a flop the New Republic government was", comes across to me as more undermining the New Republic that was created under George Lucas, which in fact lasted 7-10 years longer than the Galactic Empire.

**** New Canon.

Bravo and TheAdmiral like this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    The thing is that even until now no book had given anything specific to explain anything. They are just glorified trivia machines so that they can claim that everything is connected by putting some small Easter Eggs. Now they are just fillers.

The EU had a lot of problems but it expanded the story and moved forward. It actually explained things. Also it did not butcher any of the movie characters.

Mitth_Fisto, Bravo and Sith-I-5 like this.
  3. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Collider Jedi Council makes a realistic sound argument for it. The link to the video is here---the New Republic dialog is quite a ways into the conversation (starts at 21:05), but worth the wait.

Do I like the New Republic EU and Imperial Remnant better? Yes...overall. Although the New Canon has its merits in that regard and at least The Mandalorian is exploring that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Having been introduced to the Collider Jedi Council by a video where their usual presenter throws his dollies out of the pram over not getting a free / press invite to Galaxy's Edge (SW experience), despite being a self-described "shill" for Disney; they clearly play for the other side.

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    That guy got fired. :rolleyes: Now he does "quality" broadcasts from his house...I haven't been able to make it through a single one of "his new network" episodes. He's full of himself. Verses, his partner who now leads Jedi Council---together, they were a awesome team. Paired off of each other nicely. Alone, that guy sucks. The new Collider is pretty solid.

Now, I was watching a YouTube video today on 20 years post TPM. So I have a interesting question, which trilogy is better? PT (1999 to 2005) or ST (2015 to 2019)?

I like TPM and I have grown to appreciate it more as it ages. As a late great friend of mine put it, ROTJ made sense now with TPM and completed ROTJ. Say what you will about the PT, but TPM was the best of the 3 films. ROTS was the darkest, while AOTC was a bridge filler with no point other then Jango/Obi-Wan discovering the clones and the last big battle (which was pretty epic).

The ST...well, we can burn it for firewood. Right? :p

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The Sequel Trilogy has forced me to compare them by how they support the SW Saga, and world build.

While Revenge of the Sith is the only whole instalment that I like now, the whole Prequel Trilogy adds to the history of the universe, you see precursors to OT events, ships, etc.

The ST is overtly an exercise in undoing everything that the OT achieved, in order to re-live their greatest hits and what vocal OT fans (including the likes of Simon Pegg), claim that SW really is - so we get X-Wings and TIEs largely unchanged after thirty years, General Solo unravel and become a smuggler again, a spherical planet-killer.

Rian Johnson goes the extra step of even burning down how the Force has worked over the preceding six films and throughout the EU.

Which is why it hurts, @Bravo , for you to come out and state that The Last Jedi is a masterclass in how the Force works.

My macro view of the PT, back when I did not like it, was that there was something off about it, that I could not put my finger on.

As you can see, I can list, chapter and verse, everything wrong with the ST.

PT wins.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Bravo and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Hey, all, I will respond to tags soon. Disappeared because of DRL and holidays and what not, but responding is on my to-do list for this weekend in addition to some academic work I'm doing.

Thanks!

Mitth_Fisto, Bravo and Sith-I-5 like this.
  8. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    @Bravo
    I forgot how much I enjoyed reading *( and participating ) in your adventures. That last post was a delightful read. Set the tome of the mission perfectly. :)

Bravo likes this.
  10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Thank you sir! Its always been an honor with you, as well. :)

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    @Sith-I-5

Your post was amazing, good sir! It flowed perfectly into mine without missing a beat.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Cheers, Mate.

Glad you liked it. It was a bit of a struggle, especially towards the end, so am happy it turned out alright. :cool:

Bravo likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002

*Adds, 'getting Alex out-ta there' to list of things to do.*

It was interesting and intriguing, that there is another Streets character.

I also like how you have placed Animal's squad under The Admiral.

Will Animal get another role, fade away, or what? Dun dun dun.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
  15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Oh, Animal won't be going anywhere....yet. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy putting @TheAdmiral & @TheSilentInfluence together with Animal & Kurt. I feel TSI and Animal have a strong chemistry together and that TA and Kurt have a strong chemistry together. Putting that combo together with some, ahem, moral & ethical choices will be interesting.

Will Animal be going anywhere? Not in the immediate future and if/when he goes, I do have two different plans for that (I just need to decide on when/where and which plan to use). But I do have some plans with Second Squad, Adrias, Elena, Animal, and Kurt before any fate on Animal is decided, which---hopefully---drums up the suspense. You know there's an end for Animal...the question is how it ends.

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I just finished watching Rogue One...again. It got me thinking, which Star Wars final battle and characters' ending has the most impact on you?

1. Episode One: The Phantom Menace (Battle of Naboo / Darth Maul & company)
    2. Episode Two: Attack of the Clones (Battle of Geonosis / Count Dooku & company)
    3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Tatooine ambush / Heroes' Rescues from Jabba the Hutt)
    4. Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith (Battle of Utapau / Obi-Wan & Darth Vader)
    5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (Showdown in Savareen / Beckett & Solo)
    6. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Battle of Scarif / Vader attacking Rebel fleet & Rebel troopers)
    7. Episode Four: A New Hope (Obi-Wan & Vader duel / Death Star attack)
    8. Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back (Vader & Luke Duel / Escape from Cloud City & Han Solo encased in carbonite)
    9. Episode Six: Return of the Jedi (Battle of Endor / Vader & Luke duel)
    10. Episode Seven: The Force Awakens (Battle of Starkiller Base / Han Solo & Kylo Ren)
    11. Episode Eight: The Last Jedi (Battle of Crait / Luke & Kylo)

For battles (the easy pick), Battle of Scarif was an easy winner (and Battle of Hoth if it was an ending). Although after re-watching Attack of the Clones a few months back, the Battle of Geonois has grown on me. Although I would settle on Battle of Scarif if you're looking at it from a pure battle/action point of view. Plus it was the first Star Wars film (overall in Rogue One) that felt geared specifically for adults and fan service with its darker themes and intense action.

As for characters' endings, that was the hard one. While Vader & Luke's duel in Return of the Jedi has always been my favorite, the Blu-Ray addition of Vader saying "Noooo" kind of ruined it for me. :mad: Worse thing Lucas ever did, along with putting Anakin's younger version in at the camp fire Force Ghost scene (the rest of the 1997 Special Editions, 2004 DVDs, and 2012 Blu-Ray edits, I was okay with). Despite that edit, however, I felt the emotional battle between father & son was epic and could never be repeated. The music score & emotional journey is just too much to not fall in love with it. However, that final battle was made possible because of ANH, ESB, and the parts of ROTJ before that. It was the full journey of both Luke & Vader to that point that made it so amazing. And the silent look between Vader, son, and Palpatine as Luke is dying---BEST scene in movie history (until Lucas ruined with the Blu-rays). In that vein of thought, however, I feel that Solo: A Star Wars Story does a masterful job of copying the journey from ANH, ESB, and ROTJ to the conclusion between Solo & Beckett at the final scene in one movie.

So...I say Solo/Beckett, simply because I feel that Solo (the movie) gives us that emotional connection to the Solo/Buckett journey and the ending is, simply, powerful and has meaning. Everything leads up to that point in Solo and has a meaning & purpose to that end that its trying to show, as did ANH, ESB, and ROTJ leading to Vader & Luke's duel before the Emperor. If Lucas would of kept ROTJ's ending the same, then Vader & Luke's duel would have come in first place over Solo/Beckett.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Having computer issues; online only through phone.

Back to Rey....Rian Johnson did give her some training in the Force, so I have to give him some props for that (I don't think it was necessary, after all she was able to achieve, but my bar was set Solo that I appreciated it).

He also achieved the impossible-looking feat of recovering Kylo's character arc, which Abrams destroyed in the first film - got beaten by two rank amateurs in the first part of a trilogy, where was there to go after that?

Watched a Rise of Skywalker trailer. Looked a lot of fun. I expect I will be consuming a lot of review videos over Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  18. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey, @Bravo

Thanks for moving us along. I just read the OOC and will read the body of your post either at lunch ( if I get any ) or tonight. It's the busiest week of the season and I've hardly had time to do anything RPF related. 200% exhausted. I'm aiming to have something by the weekend. Chat soon brother.

Bravo likes this.
  19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    @greyjedi125 Thanks Grey! :) Hoping you like the post---I set up you and @Mitth_Fisto to do your thing without much story interference. Looking for some sweet posts from you two...especially when things get interesting later. ;)

@Sith-I-5 Have you watched Solo now?

20. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    Well now that I managed to catch up again, I hope I can post in the next few days...

Bravo likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Bravo - I don't anticipate watching Solo for a while yet.

My interest in watching non-Formula One material, seems to have atrophied.

Bravo likes this.
  22. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Sorry, work got busy. I'm gonna get caught up and post. @Sith-I-5, do you mind if I control the potential pickpocket flower-seller to move myself along, if need be?

Bravo likes this.
  23. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

So...might have gone a little Captain Sobel in my last post. :p Whoops.

Bravo likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sure, go for it.

Thank you for asking....although a bit speciest to assume criminal tendency just because he's a alien. :rolleyes:

Bravo likes this.
  25. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    I don't think that, but I'm assuming that Levric's Imperial training would potentially lead her to think something along those lines, and, if not, to be suspicious of anyone.

Bravo likes this.