main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Galaxy's Edge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 14, 2020.

1. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
  2. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
  3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

I know the hotel is designed to operate like a cruise ship but for what is guaranteed to be well over $1k per night, it looks like you're sleeping in a shipping container. I'll take Pop Century or even the All-Star resorts over that (especially since they've completed the re-designs at those).

4. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    https://thedirect.com/article/the-m...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=StarWarsStuff

Jim Hill of The Disney Dish podcast has shared that Disney plans to add The Mandalorian, Grogu, Ahsoka Tano, and Boba Fett as roaming characters to both Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge locations:

"We should anticipate seeing meet-and-greet opportunities with Mando and the Child, likewise Boba Fett will start making appearances, also Ahsoka Tano..."

Citing the continued controversy of the Sequel Trilogy, Hill noted that including popular characters from The Mandalorian may be an effort to drive more people to the parks:

"Disney has done this; if they have a hit show, they will fold it into the parks and help drive attendance."

Because the Galaxy's Edge experience is considered canon, this move brings some interesting implications that Hill speculated on:

"Kylo Ren does exist in (The Mandalorian's) universe - he may be four years old - but he does exist. And the thinking right now is, yes, last year guests were excited thereabouts to have Kylo Ren and Rey walking around in Galaxy's Edge, but in a situation like this where if they were to do something like, say, have Kylo Ren's shuttle disappear and suddenly the Razor Crest is sitting there parked, that would go from 'oh that's interesting' to 'holy cow, where's the line, how do I get my picture taken with the Child'?"

indydefense, 2Cleva and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    My advice to anyone going to Galaxy's Edge is to buy a Droid instead of a Lightsaber. It's not a bad lightsaber, but it is not worth 200 dollars. The motion sound on it isn't that great in my opinion. My old VFX Count Dooku lightsaber that cost 20 bucks does lightsaber motion sounds better in my opinion. Only the sound quality is better. The way it lights up is pretty good and it is made of metal. The lightsaber crystal feature is kind of neat, but you're probably going to ever use it once. I'd say that lightsaber is really 50-75 dollars, but you can get a much nicer custom lightsaber online for less than 200 dollars. A good chunk of what you're spending your money on is the pageantry involved with making the lightsaber. If you value that at a 100-150 dollars go right ahead and spend it, but if you just care about getting a neat lightsaber I would look online for high quality custom saber. The droid is probably a 50-75 dollar toy and it was only 99 dollars. I also think you'll get a lot more fun out of the droid than the lightsaber.

If you do decide to spend 200 dollars on the custom lightsaber at the workshop I would recommend downloading the Disney App and schedule to go build it just before you leave so you don't have to lug it around with you around the park and on rides. When I was there I heard people complaining about there lightsabers breaking after bringing it with them on some of the rides.

SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Galaxy Edge moving away from ST focus is a good thing for their business.

7. Duat17

Duat17 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2021

maybe it isn't so fresh but still interesting
    seasonal carts from clicks available

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  8. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Downtown Disney District in Anaheim , Ca has a new Star Wars themed Star Wars Trading Post, which is located in the building that used to be the Rain Forest Cafe.

9. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure will reopen later on in mid April 2021. Only the outdoor rides are open in both parks at 15 % capacity. I will update this thread once a month .

10. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland Resort will reopen on April 30th , 2021 . Due to the guidelines for the state of California , you must wear masks and do social distancing. The two Parks are open to Californians only.

11. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    One more thing...You cannot scream on the outdoor rides during your Disneyland vacation:eek::eek::eek::eek:

clone commander bossk likes this.
  12. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland is selling tickets through their reservation only April 15th .There is one more catch ,you have to be from California to buy them online. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will be open April 30th. I'm not sure if the rides for this land will be open . I'm sorry I haven't been posting links or videos for this thread . My computer is new and it only works by touch screen. I'll try to buy a mouse and mouse pad to post in the future.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland will be using the same reservation system as Walt Disney World for Rise of the Resistance . The info will be on the Disneyland and Walt Disney World websites .

14. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland has shorted the Rise of the Resistance ride by avoiding the part where Rey welcomes the new recruits , which located in a group setting due to Covid 19 concerns.

15. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016

That's the "real" lightsaber that was teased the other month. God only knows who much those will cost in the park, seeing as the ones you make at the workshop are over $200.

16. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    You can only reserve your boarding pass on the Disneyland app download for the cellphone with park ticket a for Rise of the Resistance at 7:00 am, only when you visit Disneyland . If you have a park hopper pass you may reserve a spot on the same ride at 12:00 pm in Disney's California Adventure. Be sure to park hop from DCA to DL get on ROTR. Good luck on getting a chance to ride ROTR.

17. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disneyland will be open to people who don't live in the state of California on June 15th, 2921.

18. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Too bad we in Malaysia can’t travel anywhere due to Covid-19 and the three nearest Disneyland parks (Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong) don’t have any Galaxy’s Edge kinda attraction anyway... :([​IMG]

The closest one to us was the Star Wars Miniland over in Legoland Johor Bahru (around 340km from Kuala Lumpur and 50km from Singapore) but it closed shop in December 2019, after Disney decided to end this popular attraction at Lego parks - while continuing to collaborate in the production of buildable sets...

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    It has been two years since the opening of Galaxy’s Edge at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA; and nearly two years since its opening at the Walt Disney World Resort at Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake, FL. Two years. Unless I am mistaken, Galaxy’s Edge is supposed to be set during the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.

The themed lands have featured roaming characters such as Rey, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, R2-D2, a handful of stormtroopers, and a character from a Star Wars novel named Vi Moradi. And yet, the Disney Parks still fail to include characters like Finn, Poe Dameron and Rose Tico. Why? Why is Disney Parks and the Disney Corporation in general so reluctant to include three main characters who were portrayed by people of color in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy movies?

Some have pointed out Vi Moradi’s presence in the parks. Okay, but … what does this mean? That a character created for a novel was created to what … serve as “progressive” lip service for Disney Parks? For present-day Disney Studios and Lucasfilm? To serve as an excuse to exclude three major Sequel Trilogy characters who were not white? Aside from a possible charge of racism, this exclusion of Finn, Poe and Rose as roaming characters in Galaxy’s Edge

Adella7 likes this.
  20. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disney Theme Parks has started the Single Rider lines for Smuggler's Run rides at WDW and DL..

21. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    I'm going to Disneyland this December before the Christmas start. I still have to join a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance ride at 7 am in the morning. For people with park hoppers at DL and WDW, you can join the boarding groups at 11 or 12 o'clock.

22. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
  23. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Galactic Starcruiser looks terrible.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    dp

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  25. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Spent two days at Galaxy's Edge this week...

First off, I love Disney World, been here maybe twenty times in my life, and think it's the greatest place on Earth. I've always loved Star Tours and the Endor Vendor. It felt like Star Wars and represented the franchise well. I'd been to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland once, before Rise of the Resistance opened, and I was a bit underwhelmed, but it was early in the park's existence and it felt unfair to judge it then. Now after eight years away from Disney World, this was my first time back since Galaxy's Edge opened up.

The Rise of the Resistance ride is brilliant. It's really fun, and without spoiling anything, it makes good use of the ST, and it's hard to imagine a fan not loving it. 10/10

Millennium Falcon Hyperspace was pretty good, but I actually prefer Star Tours (though my young nephews disagreed). It seems like a much more fun experience if you happen to land in a pilot's seat, but whatever...the Falcon itself is beautiful and seeing it up close was great. 7/10

Savvi's lightsaber build. I'd personally stay as far from this as possible. At nearly $250 a lightsaber, this experience was extremely lame, a complete money grab IMO, and the whole thing basically feels like its meant to rush you in and out with some kind of role play that was way too expensive IMO. 2/10

Oga's Cantina. Fun, pretty cool vibe. Food and drinks were good. If you don't get a table and have to stand around, I don't know, that might suck, but we did get a table, and it was fun. Again, I'm not into the role play thing, but it was a decent Cantina experience. 7/10

Overall park vibe. Sorry to say, but IMO, it was extremely disappointing. IMO, with Galaxy's Edge, Disney has failed to accomplish what they had done so well with Star Tours and other Star Wars attractions in the past.

The positives were that there were lots of cool ships to see, and a few cool droids. A few Stormtroopers. Chewie and Rey were there. There are tons of generic Star Wars set dressings and familiar droid types, lots of moisture vaporizers and power droids and random parts from famous ships. But if you're hoping to see all the old favorites, think again. And again, the main ride is insanely great. Good enough to justify a visit to the park, so there's that.

The negatives. Wit the exception of a few merchandise images, I saw very few images of Vader, Luke, Yoda, Leia, Anakin, Obi Wan, etc. I didn't hear much Star Wars music, but when I did, it was all ST themes. The idea of creating a new planet IMO was terrible. If you're going to mimic Tattooine, then just make it Tattooine, but this is the company that gave us Jakku, so Battu is basically another Jakku, which is to say, Tattooine but not Tattooine. My biggest complaint is that the whole place was just kind of lacking in a soul, essentially because instead of embracing the Star Wars characters, it has embraced the Star Wars world, which is very cool, don't get me wrong...but character is where the heart is, IMO.

The good news is you can see that Grogu and the Mandalorian are beginning to make their way into the park, and if they can hang it all on those two as opposed to the ST legacy, I think they can bring much of that missing soul back to the park.

So I was disappointed in my first visit to Orlando's Galaxy's Edge, but I do think five or ten years from now, with the right changes and some new rides and experiences, the park could be much better. I didn't go to the hotel, but based on the lightsaber build and the cantina experience, I wouldn't go near it. It's extremely corny stuff. It's actually kind of insulting to charge anyone older than five years old this kind of money for that kind of experience, IMO. But others will probably love it, so that's just my opinion.