main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Been watching Dr. Who on Sci-fi these past few weeks- and I must say, it's a pretty fun show- has the "loves to be gung-ho about being weird" vibe of Farscape, only with a dash of LEXX's intentional cheesiness/campiness thrown in. Kinda the silly old sci-fi of the 50's and 60's updated to today to remain watchable and yet finds the right balance to remain silly. Gotta love it when the right chord is struck like that.

I've never really watched any prior Dr Who material, save the US TV movie from awhile back which I recall nothing about. Do the prior series have the same feel/approach to them? I also wonder if the theme music is carried over from prior shows- hearing that rythym and funky noises kick in for the title sequences has a certain kick to it I like, in a "something weird is a happenin' somewhere/sometime- let's go to the rescue!" kinda way. ::)

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    If you go here, Go to the very bottom of the page and the are all of the Themes which you can click on to listen to! It is interesting to see how it has changed over the years!

3. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    The theme song and the openings have changed from era to era. From Hartnell to the Eccleston era, each one has had different themes and different opening sequences. In fact, we never saw the Doctor's face appear on the screen in the opening, until the story The Faceless Ones, from the Troughton era!

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Sorry. Maybe I should ask for a specific Series 2 spoiler thread . . .

About the Torchwood spinoff with Captain Jack - what do people think about this? IMO Jack has enough energy to carry a series-ette of his own, and it should hopefully be pretty cool.

Anyone else notice that 'Torchwood' is an anagram of 'Doctor Who'? :p

3 hours 45 minutes and I should really stop doing the clock thing :p

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    If you ask me, this is the series 2 thread. If Americans want to create they're own thread for series 1, then someone can do so.

About the Torchwood anagram, the reason behind it is because when the episodes were being trasported, they were labeled as "Torchwood", so they wouldn't get stolen by people looking for Doctor Who. RTD liked the name so much, he used it as the name for the spin-off. The fact that it's an anagram of Doctor Who won't affect the storyline.

6. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    That was a good episode, despite the fact that I didn't like the idea of Cassandra getting *more* skin, and being able to sclavage her skin :rolleyes:

However, I don't see why they couldn't have made Billie Piper's wind scene a bit longer :(

7. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Didn't know that. Interesting - a little like them pretending to be making Blue Harvest or whatever it was when they were filming ROTJ. Cool. Of course, what with the spinoff, they're now going to have to think of another disguise so people don't accidentally start stealing the DW boxes when they're after Torchwood :p

Re New Earth:

!!Americans!! SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER! (I'll keep with the warnings until we have mod verdict on what this thread is :p )

I liked the episode. Good stuff, a little frenetic at points, but exactly what was needed to get everyone back into the Doctor Who mindset. Lots of opportunities to cower behind the sofa, a known villain and some tantalising enigmatic-ness.

The Face of Boe could be a moderate to major player in this series. [face_thinking] He was a guest at the End of the World, and he got mentioned again in one of the episodes set on Platform One (". . . and the Face of Boe has announced he's pregnant." is one of the news snippets we hear). His whole legend-superstition status was set up a bit by this tiny little sidebar in the DW: Monsters and Villains book, which I am now extremely glad I read. :p I'd recommend it, BTW - there's lots of good stuff in there about the bad guys from all the old series. The Daleks practically have a quarter of the book . . .

I don't see why they couldn't have made David Tennant's wind scene a bit longer. :p One of the funniest moments in the episode had to be when Cassandra started commenting on [his] borrowed body - I had to agree with her, actually. [face_blush] :p

And next week we have werewolves, Queen Victoria, and weird blokes in red pyjamas. Can't wait [face_dancing]

8. digitalman2006

digitalman2006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2006
    I'm sorry but I'm lost. You would happened to be talking about the second season?

9. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Second season as in of the New Who. (No idea how many there've been in total, sorry.) The one that's currently airing in the UK and will be going to the US some time next year, judging by the gap in getting the Ninth Doctor's season across the pond. :)

More stuff at the BBC Doctor Who website if you're interested.

So, anyone see Tooth and Claw yesterday night?

I thought it was very good. The werewolf was actually pretty scary, and not just in wolf form - its human-host form was also monumentally uncanny. And of course Victoria founding Torchwood - we'll hear that name again [face_mischief]

10. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Yeah i saw it. I love the fact that Torchwood was set up to stop people like the Doctor, and that one of it's future members will turn out to be a companion of his.
    Oh, and for the record, this is the 28th season of Doctor Who I believe.

11. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    I thank you both for the vital information. The 28th season of the Doctor; really inpressive. This just might be the milestone in television history for the BBC. We all can truly say that Doctor Who is the longest running sci-fi show ever.

12. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    :) You can say THAT again! Long live the Doctor in ALL his incarnations!

13. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    Thanks shiva but please don't ask me to retype that whole thing again.

14. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    LOL! No, I wouldn't ask you to do something like that. But I meant what I said: LONG LIVE THE DOCTOR, IN ALLHIS INCARNATIONS!

15. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    Thanks. I still think it would have been cool if a couple of the remaining doctors make apperances on this new show. Maybe not to reprise the title role but as other characters

16. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Having them as other characters would be interesting I agree!

Apparently there is a K-9 animated series happening... why do it? I can only assume it will be for the younger audience die to Torchwood being for the more adult audience.

17. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    You are rebel. Do you know when k-9 will airing; I might want to check it out myself. (lol)

18. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    If I seemed harsh about the new animated K-9 series, it is only because I think they are doing too much to capitalise on the success of the new series of Doctor Who.

By all means I will try to watch it for sure!

But I will certainly be curious to find out if they choose a proper continuity in relation to DH.

Oh and the DVD cover for the series 2, disc 2 dvd is on the bbc website!
    Episodes on this disc are 'Tooth and Claw', 'School Reunion'and 'The Girl in the Fireplace'!

I believe it is being released in June in the UK.

19. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    You are not being harsh at all rebel; just speaking your mind and that's cool. As for the k-9 cartoon; let's just see if they can succeed with their idea; it could turn out to be something fun.

20. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Who knows (No pun intended!)If it succeeds in Europe on Jetix Europe, then the ABC Family channel might pick it up here in the states. THAT would be something to see then!

21. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    On www.clivebanks.com it is suggesting that DH confidential #6 (which will be after either 'Rise of the Cybermen' or 'The Age of Steel') will be about - 'Mickey Smith: From Zero to Hero' a look at the journey Mickey has taken over the last two years

I wonder if this means the end of Mickey as we know it? One can only hope :p

22. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Mickey's not that bad. He's not in every episode, and when he does appear he's not all that annoying. Plus, seeing him get eaten by a dustbin in Rose was a fantastic moment :p

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've had the first episode, Rose, on my computer for a while now, and having lived in London for 4 months, I get a lot more of the humour (and the locations). Great show, can't wait to see more of it.

24. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    This may be slightly OT, but I think that fans will appreciate this news: It is in the realm of possiblity that the Hartnell episode Wall of Lies may have been found in Australia at a flea market. As soon as I get more information, I will pass it on.

25. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    That will be so cool if it's true! I am trying to work out which story "Wall of Lies" is, or is it just the one episode?