main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    He was a big part of Doctor Who, it's very sad to see him go.

@};-

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Actually, you couldn't. It's a perfect compliment to retro logos while at the same time being very modern. The type does not work without the serifs, and the DW logo that forms the Tardis does a great job of saying what it's supposed to in a very simple way.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    well, if that's your opinion, you are just as entitled to it as I am to disagree with you about it. For me, the logo (including type) doesn't work at all. That's me.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Of course it's just your opinion. But you could not give it to a first year class and get something better, because, design-wise, there is nothing wrong with it.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    If it were "perfect", we wouldn't already have at least 2 people on this board so far who say it looks ugly.

6. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I dont mind it.

As for the Dalek argument, well they are one of the reasons I watch Doctor Who. I am 40 years old, and have vague memories going back to the Jon Pertwee episodes. I have followed Dr. Who and love the Daleks. I for one dont think they are being over used. They are the arch enimies aterall. Do these people think that there was too much of the Master in the Jon Pertwee era? If anything, I think the Daleks were underused in the classic era (bar Jon Pertwee).
    I liked every Dalek episode from the new series, with the exception of the awful Daleks in Manhatten.
    I guess if people think there are too many Dalek episodes, then the easy answer is dont watch the Dalek episodes in the next series. I dont think this will happen though, and the moaning will persist.

I also think we will see a big "reset button" at the end of the christmas episodes. The Waters of Mars trailer talks of a fixed point in time and it cannot be changed. The gut feel is it is changed, and this will have a knock on effect that will bring back the Timelords, Gallefray, The Daleks, The Master etc. etc. in time for RTD and DT to leave it open for the new era. Just my gut feel.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just watched Water of Mars. I thought it was pretty good!

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Pretty good, not nearly as scary as it was hyped to be. I don't think there was much in it that children would get freaked out by, though Adelaide's apparent suicide was a tad dark for a family show.

Only thing that bothered me really was Adelaide's lack of questions about the Doctor. Did the Doctor even mention that he was an alien? He's a Time Lord - would she know that's alien? She didn't ask about him being a time traveller or anything. Breaking the Laws of Time were definitely a set up for the Christmas episodes - was that Brian Cox I heard over the trailer?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought it was pretty scary - more so than the 'bus in the desert' one, certainly!

And I noticed the tribute to Barry Letts in the credits.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I neither loved nor hated it. I thought the sets and effects were pretty good, but I didn't find it scary. Not the worst script by RTD by any means (and a lot better than Planet of the Dead), but it didn't live up to the hype for me.

11. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    I voted 6/10.

Ok, just watched this, the second last appearance of David Tennant's Dr (who ranks just behind Sylvester McCoy for me)

1. I really feel this is retreading old ground. How many times can we have a remote human colony come under attack from some sort of malevolent force, the Dr shows up to help and there's huge self-sacrifice from the crew in order to save Earth? The Dr even wears the same suit as he did in The Satan Pit (still feels weird to see him in a space suit, so old tech).

2. Very, very reminiscent of John Carpenters films 'The Ghosts of Mars' and 'Prince of Darkness' . Which isn't a terrific recommendation. Also see the Angel episode The Price.

3. Nice scenes with the robot, it's catchphrase rather reminds me of Twikkie from Buck Rogers.

4. Ok. The Doctor has officially gone insane! I know he's supposed to be this 'Lonely god' but the idea that he can simply alter time as he wishes just because he's the last Time Lord is crazy. I expected him to take the survivors to some distant earth colony in the future so that they could live out their lives and as far as anyone on Earth is concerned they died in the explosion. The idea of him glorying in the concept of 'Timelord Victorious' is not the Dr I grew up with. Whilst he always disagreed with much of his people's philosophy he always conformed to the laws of time, he knew that some of their beliefs were unquestionably right. Now he seems to think that as they all perished that he can change the rules to suit himself?

5. Actually quite unsettling to see him so scared at the prospect of the 4th knock. You wonder if you've lived forever does death become more frightening a prospect or less? (reminds you of Adam's observations about vampires)

6. I have to say, I don't like the Ood and I think we've had way too much of them in the series. There are a lot more interesting recurring races around, how about a few more Weeping Angels?

7. But of course the Dr is NOT the last of the Timelords. The Master is back. Oh yes. OH YES! Maybe time itself has brought him back in order to counter an out of control Dr?

8. So Donna and her grandad back again? Cool. Remember the Dr said that if she ever remembered him it would tear the universe apart? Perhaps he's so reckless now he's prepared to risk it?

Goes without saying but I'm looking forwards to Christmas

12. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Was watching the Graham Norton Show and DT was one of the guests. He mentioned his new pilot here in the states called "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer". He plays Rex Alexander, a brilliant lawyer who suffers panic attacks in the court room, so he begins to coach his clients on how to defend themselves. Dubbed an hour long dramedy it seems.

Just thought any fans out there might be interested if they hadn't heard, this was the first I had heard of it.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The Doctor's turning in this episode quite frankly frightened me for a while because of its psychological and logical parallels to the Master. I really cheered at his return to the base, but it went too far. Way too far. He's already had latent darkness and the potential for unrighteous dominion, but this went further down that road than I have seen before.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - turned to the Dark Side, he has.

15. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    Personally not fussed on the whole "Why didn't the Dalek kill Adelaide?" debate. Don't see any significance to it, she posed no threat and it was recalled to Davros' ship, that's all

16. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Surprised there isn't a commentary for The Waters of Mars yet...?

I enjoyed this episode a lot, very impressive!

17. Darth_Punk

Mar 12, 2002
    Hey DarthIshtar,

I think seeing David Tennant turn a bit like the Master in the last 2 episodes might be a good thing.

Also if you dont like to watch an evil Dr. then dont watch "trail of a timelord". The 13th Dr. is not so nice. Having said that, technicaly Matt Smith is the 12th and therefore the last (seeing as we have seen the 13th). And I say technicaly, because David Tenant regenerates twice, he just didnt want to change appearence on one of them. Although, they did extend the Masters regenration, so I am sure they will do the doctors.

Enjoyed this episode (even though in my opinion the reset button I was talking about has been pressed), but I agree with an earlier post. Neither loved it or hated it.

18. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Yes, good, not great.

And seeing how half the point of the Tardis is that he can go anywhere, going to remote middle of nowhere with some type of dangerous but mysterious monster seems to be quite the theme.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Matt Smith is the 11th, hon. :) And I don't dislike the idea of a dark Doctor. It's inevitable with any character, whether they have a strong undercurrent of darkness or not.

20. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I spoke too soon. There is a commentary with Russell Davies, Julie Gardner and David Tennant. It had some small interesting moments, but the commentary felt more like it was just going though the motions...

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I got the impression that the character from Trial of a Timelord was a fictional distillation of the Doctor, not an actual future version. Plus getting that actor back, looking that age or younger, might be a bit of a stretch.

22. Darth_Punk

Mar 12, 2002
    Just watched it again, and there are a couple of things that bug me.

The whole sequence about the Dalek. This in fact means, that without the Dalek to inspire Adelaide Brooke, then she would not have started this whole series of events off with the "fixed point in time".
    So therefore, the timewar is necessary too. As is the Stolen Earth. Without these 2 events, you would not have Adelaide Brooke being inspired and going to Mars. You could argue that the timewar is also a fixed point in time.
    In Journeys End, it was stated that the time war was "time locked", and that it took a simple dalek to do what timelords and emperors could not. If this is the case, then has the Dr. simply walked onto Mars and done the same?
    Also in Fathers Day, you had those ridiculous creatures that came because time got altered, blah blah blah, yet where were they in this episode.

Lots of potential plot holes

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    For Torchwood, Captain Jack says that, "In the 21st Century, everything changes".

Waters of Mars, solidifies for me, that the whole stolen Earth thing, changing skies, global Dalek invasion, is that one event to which the Captain referred.

I value RTD for what he has achieved with DW, bringing it back from the dead, surpassing or returning to it's previous successes, and bringing us some great drama; but I do wish he would leave off telling viewers how they will feel when they watch something.

"You will be scared!" Nope.

"When Captain Jack and Captain Hart meet, they will do something you won't expect." Not going to kiss, are they?

Okay, you got us on the Dalek and Cybermen in the same episode thing, but I don't think it was preceded with any prophesies.

Be interesting if the Bowie Base thing does reset the Time War and everything else.

24. Darth_Punk

Mar 12, 2002
    One thing I noticed about waters of mars, was that when the space shuttle self destructed, it ripped a hole in the hull of the base. Everyone was being sucked out of the base and therefore clinging onto support beams for their lives.
    In walks the Dr. and says something on the lines of patch the hole in the hull, and everyone simply lets go and walk around. Quite funny really.

25. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, The End of Time Part One has aired, and my opinion is....withheld until I've seen Part 2.

My opinion will depend on how many questions get answered next week. Any moment now TIEPilot051999 is going to show up and complain about nearly everything. And here's the shocker, unless next weeks episode contains a lot of answers (more than I imagine can reasonably be explained in 70 minutes) then I'll be agreeing with him on most points!