main
side
curve

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    Wall of Lies is an episode in the Hartnell era story Marco Polo.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    THat's one of the lost episodes right?

3. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    Yes, it is. All Seven parts of Marco Polo are offically listed as missing from the BBC Archives. It would be a major coup if this episode could be recovered. In fact, it might be time to start doing a serious hunt through both Australia and New Zeland for missing episodes, since most of the recent recoveries have come from that area of the world.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Anyone get REALLY creeped out by the little kids in Gas Masks?

Also, anyone have an MP3 copy of the theme song?

5. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

Anyone get REALLY creeped out by the little kids in Gas Masks?

Yeah. It didn't help that my housemate had an old WWII one hanging on his curtain rail. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances are my favourite Eccleston episodes.

6. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Trilobite: there's some bits of the theme available as free MP3s from [link=http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/]here[/link] as well as a selection of quotes and noises. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's at least one version on iTunes, but that's a whole new can of worms ... [face_plain]

Gas masks: that was a cool double episode. I remember it well.

"Are you my mummy?"

And of course it's the story where they introduce Captain Jack.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Excellent episode, indeed . . . but the climax sound is soft and sissy on this new series. The old series had a sharp sound as the episode ended, and it really made the atmosphere.

8. LadyReject

LadyReject Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2006
    I love this new series- it's SO much better than the old one.
    David Tennant's a much better actor.

9. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I didn't realise that Doctor Who was so popular out of England.

I'm really liking David Tennant as the 10th Doctor. Chris Eccleston was excellent of course but David Tennant brings something else to the role. Hard to explain. He's much more flamboyant and eccentric and he seems to enjoy himself a lot.
    He's definitely a great choice.
    My favourite moment from him so far has been when he saw Sarah-Jane again. He seemed so happy to see her again and his acting was superb.

I haven't actually seen the Christmas Invasion yet. Gonna download it today and watch it then. I'm currently waiting for the box set from 2005's episodes to get cheaper as £45 is too high for 13 episodes.
    The same will apply for when the 2006 episodes get released on DVD.

10. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Richard, Dr. Who has always had a large cult following over here in the US.
    I have been a fan since the early 1980?s when I happened upon an episode being shown on my local PBS station (that?s Public Broadcasting Service. Unlike a network, they are funded largely by donations from the public and various corporations.). That PBS station has almost always been showing Dr. Who every Saturday at 7pm since before I discovered it on up until BBC pulled the broadcasting rights last year here in the U.S.

The episode I happened upon was one with the 4th doctor (Tom Baker) and I was hooked from there. They showed every episode up to the very last, although we got them a year or two behind when they were broadcast in England. And when they were done, they started from the beginning, from An Unearthly Child and continued to show all of the episodes that were not lost. And once they got to the end again, they started from the beginning again. I have seen most of the episodes several times over by now.

I am also a member of a large Doctor Who fan club near where I live; there are many of us spread across the US. You can imagine how excited we were when we all found out Dr. Who was being revived, but sad that we might likely never see it. But people in my part of the US got lucky! The Canadian Station that we can receive here was airing it!!! So we got to see the new episodes within a week or so of them airing in the UK.

But this season, CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Channel) won?t be airing the new episodes until much later
    But again! I got lucky and a friend of mine has been getting the new season 2 episodes downloaded the same day they air in the UK and shows then at his place once a month for our local Dr Who fan club, so I have seen the first 6 episodes of season 2 so far

And I agree, I love David tenant as the Doctor!

Oh, and BBC has let the PBS station get the viewing rights to the original series back. On June 10th, my local PBS station is going to kick things off with a marathon of Dr Who and having a pledge drive during station breaks. I and my Dr. Who fan club are going to be manning the phones and taking down pledges

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I finally got the entire series through a friend of mine - working my way through the first series now. One of the best SciFi Shows that I've ever seen.

12. LadyReject

May 22, 2006
    The DVDs are expensive so I just tape every episode that comes on and watch them about ten times a day til the next week's episode!

13. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I'll be buying the DVDs. When I've got some money to hand, anyway. :( (We don't have a VCR or DVD recorder.)

I thought Saturday's episode was pretty good - Maureen Lipman was great as The Wire. Cheesy and weird in the best traditions :p

Next week's episode is the one starting the story with Bill Nighy . . . IIRC, this is the one dealing with satanism - it's come in for a bit of dubiousness from various quarters. If they can pull it off, though, it'd be a fantastic example of how dark stuff can be put into a show with an audience including lots of children.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The DVDs are very expensive - as they were in London as well.

15. LadyReject

May 22, 2006
    I loved last week's episode- the doctor riding outta the TARDIS on that scooter!!! And his hair, wow!

16. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    The hair. Oh dear, the hair [face_hypnotized]

Well. Last night's episode is unquestionably one of the best so far. They've finally got off Earth, and the setting's pretty damn fantastic in its own right - what's wrong with [hl=black]a planet orbiting a black hole with an alien temple-thing in its core[/hl]? Added to which, we've got pretty much the ultimate villain, if the numerous little hints add up to what they seem to . . .

17. HanEllis

HanEllis Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    Hey all
    Long time Doctor Who Fan First time poster. Tell me what Missing Episode would you like to find. Me i would like to find all of the episdoes of Massacre. I have herd this story on CD and i loved it

Ben

18. LadyReject

May 22, 2006
    I really can't wait for the episode on Saturday- I kinda want the Doctor to not get the TARDIS back so him and Rose have to "settle down" and get a mortgage!

19. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Impossible Planet & Satan Pit may be the best storyline yet. It'll be VERY hard for them to top it for the series finale, in any case.

Oh, and it's been officially confirmed that Billie Piper is leaving at the end of Series 2. I have to say I think that's about right; she'll've done two seasons solid work, the Tenth Doctor will be nice and settled in and we could do with a new face.

Thoughts?

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Actually, I thought the Impossible Planet and the Satan Pit was one of the most disappointing stories. The only part I liked was the fact that we never found out what it was. That the Doctor admited to not knowing everything

I agree it's about time for Rose to leave, and I'm actually hoping for a new full time male companion instead of a "something for the lads" replacement.

So, Series 1 has ended in America, and over at the IMDB boards I'm surprised at how many Americans already say they don't like David Tennent (after his what...12 words of speech?). Can't wait for Torchwood either, but I'm surprised we haven't seen any Promo pics or set reports yet. As far as I'm aware, there's just been a set report about the Torchwood gang entering a nightclub.

21. LadyReject

May 22, 2006
    i was gutted when i found out billie was leaving, because she fits the part so well! but i can't wait to see how she goes in Doomsday, Russel T Davies has promised a stunning exit, i hope he's right!

and i loved the impossible planet/the satan pit, it was fantastic! case closed! lol :p

22. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I'm in Canada, and the new series 2 episodes are excellent. Seen every one so far (okay I haven't had the chance to watch the newest episode yet, but will be watching later today.)

Just so you know, Series 2 begins airing on CBC, Monday Ocotber 8th.

And all you North American fans, if you're waiting for DW to start and are getting a little i,patient, may I suggest picking up some of the Big Finish Doctor Who audio dramas, featuring Doctors 5,6,7,and 8. They are awesome and a great way to fill the time waiting for the new DW to start.

go to [link=http://www.whona.com]WhoNA[/link]to get hem, and browse around. They have a lot of WHo stuff there.

(and NO, I don't work for them. I just shop there a lot. :))

23. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    I know it's a bit late, but for that poster wanting an mp3 of the theme song...and for any other Whovian...I found this on a website dedicated to fan mixes/remixes of the theme. I think you'll get quite a kick out of this. :cool:

[link=http://whomix.trilete.net/download.php?remixid=98]Doctor Who: Regenerations Theme Megamix (3:30)[/link]

24. HanEllis

HanEllis Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    i am sad to hear that bille is leaveing the seris she is a fox i just hope mickey does not become a companion i hate him Said the college graduate at 12am

Ben

25. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Ben, I don't think you need worry about Mickey becoming a companion any time soon as he is in an alt universe right now.
    Though we may not have seen the last of him.

Rumor has it that the next companion is going to be another female and that we will see her in the last two eps of series 2.