main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    25-30 years from now(maybe not even that long) there will be so many Star Wars films and TV shows that youngsters will think of the OT as "those very old films that were also called Star Wars."

As for Legends, they will not think of it at all.

That is the way of things... The way of the Force.:yoda:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The only reason they weren't making Star Wars movies throughout the entire '80's and '90's is because Lucas likes to keep to himself. If Lucas was an extrovert I guarantee you Star Wars would have been an ongoing thing in the cinema all along.

As for legends there will always be those online communities out there but new fans coming in are going to want to read and watch stuff related to the movies. They will look at legends material and be thinking about Rey just like some of the legends fans read the new stuff now and think about Jaina.

Gharlane and TheRedBlade like this.
  3. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    What is it with you and Lucas?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Nothing. I'm just saying that his personality type likely played a major factor in deciding to stop making movies of his popular series for so long.

Gharlane and Nom von Anor like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe he just knew he'd never be able to top American Graffiti.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

SilentGuy66 and TheRedBlade like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think it has been stated on many occasions that he was tired by the time ROTJ was being made and was ready to wrap stuff up.

7. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Ok this has to be a joke

"Stop saturating the market with Star Wars movies saturate it with garbage Del Rey Star Wars novels instead!"

Del Rey never deserved the SW license in my opinion. It should be revoked.

Gharlane likes this.
  8. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    That’s not what I said. I said keep it to those 3 media types (movies, books, comics). If you look at the canon timeline within three years it now has over 700 entries. And they haven’t even gotten to the ESB-ROTJ period. It’s gonna have so much content on it that they’re going to start restricting movie directions within 5-6 years before they get through all the movies currently planned/announced. That’s all. I didn’t say more, I said keep it a little more contained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrandoJedi and Gharlane like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bah, I want a feature-length movie about a Star War every damn week. Lightweights, the lot of you!

(Looks like a horror / revenge film to me.)

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We've gotten multiple books, comics, games, tv series', etc. for years.
    A movie is too much for some people? How?
    We have 14 billion years of history to work with before the movies and trillions of years afterwards.

Xander Vos and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    What 700 entries? You must be counting all the extra stuff like books for children, each individual issue ofa series and every episode of rebels separately which is ridiculous.

12. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    I am. As in you open up the wiki for the first time and without editing what’s shown its initially like 700 entries. Obviously I don’t read all that stuff, just saying it’s all still canon

13. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    If that's the case then pre Disney there was a gazillion entries

14. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Right. And they ended up rebooting the series bc it was so overloaded and it wasn’t one consistent timeline all the way through.

Look I don’t really get what we’re arguing about haha. I just said my three favorite mediums are the movies, books, and the marvel comics. I’d like to them to stick to those three bc everything else crestes a lot of noise. But I also get that I am not their singular consumer and they’re going to put out content for other demographics

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, see a Gonk droid just looks so innocent.

There's no indication of what artificial depravity lurks beneath that unassuming exterior.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah after its entire run. There is no denying now though that the new canon is filling up the timeline about three or four times as quickly as legends ever did. And in about fifteen years from now the canon library will be just as vast as the legends library was after forty years. We'll have to see how it holds up in the long run but they are doing a good job with it as of now and seem to be doing a better job of keeping track of things than they did under legends.

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I disagree with your opinions on Del Rey (they've done a good job outside of the post-NJO), but I'll never understand people who complain about Star Wars being oversaturated or a cash grab. This has always been the most aggressively over-marketed franchise in history.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Having all these movies within a short amount of time is just something some Star Wars fans aren't used to. All they have ever known about Star Wars movies were events that came around once every few years at the most.

19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I can just picture their Disney interview.

"Qualifications?"
    "Rape, murder, dragons, and rape."
    "You said rape twice."
    "I like rape!"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah. As if there isn't enough grimdark fiction to wallow in, now we've got to make Star Wars grimdark too.

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    You know what, I'll pile onto this despite it not being all that germane to Star Wars, and say that I'm sodding exhausted with the Confederate perspective. For most of a century Hollywood was about nothing but the Confederate perspective, with both Civil War and post Civil War films adopting the Lost Cause narrative as the default. It's basically just in my lifetime that that narrative has started getting real pushback (not just in the sense of "hey, what about the black people?" but also "hey, what about the Union?") and even then it's not like Confederate narratives have exactly gone away. They've had about a hundred years of Hollywood crying over their lost slavers' utopia. Give them a back seat for a while. It's not going to kill them.

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Can it kill them? Please? If I never have to hear about the Lost Cause outside of it being a debunked and racist historical narrative I would be so freaking happy.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It’s not just the Lost Cause, it’s the whole racist narrative. I won’t name him but I saw a tweet from a guy running to be a Republican congressman in Wisconsin post a picture of Megan Markale and Prince Harry that was so racist and vile. It was like, how can he think it’s ok to do this [face_dunno]:mad:

What’s worrying is that it’s becoming more and more normal and I’m worried that this show will glorify that outlook. Maybe not intentionally but it might do all the same.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I keep seeing this come up since 2012, but the Star Wars spinoffs have not gotten this much mainstream attention since Chewie died. Every time there's some new movie plot there's industry outlets speculating about what aspects of the old books they might be fitting in. It's a great byproduct of the need to both fill space when there's no actual news, and to make some clickbait headlines. EW just had an article recounting the storyline of Splinter of the Mind's Eye... never saw that before the "death" of the Legends continuity. Just before TFA, my own very local NPR station had a round-table interview with Zahn, Stackpole, and Ryder Windham - again, never saw that before 2012.

The mere fact that they now serve as potential IP mining sources for Disney movies now means that the old EU is going to be talked about in mainstream media forever, the same with Marvel comics that no one outside of a very small nerd circle would care about if Disney was not now making movies (very) loosely based on them.

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Where is this article? The only Splinter reference I've seen on EW is an article going over publicity photos: