main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so yah Game of Thrones is ending and all but more importantly Benioff and Weiss will be hitting up the Thrones final season press tour so who is bombarding them with Star Wars movie questions?

2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah I don’t buy it. I don’t think production on either RJ’s or B&W first films will start until sometime next year. Happy to be proven wrong but SWNN does not have a great track record.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Any trilogy which would make the multiple media sources canon (videogames, novels, comics), set either in the Revan years (3960-3900 BBY aka KOTOR 1 & 2 timeline) or in the Great War and Treaty of Coruscant years (3680-3630 BBY aka SWTOR timeline) automatically gets my full approval and I just hope they can get it right.

If they are planning to use the characters in the KOTOR & SWTOR story arcs (Revan, Malak, Malgus, Satele Shan, Shae Vizsla etc), but instead negate or dramatically change the events which we have seen in these stories, I would rather they did not even touch them, and just went 5 or 6 thousand years before the events of the movies instead. It would really be a huge blow if Disney invalidated even more Star Wars stories, after renaming the old EU into Legends and making it non-canon (which is why I think that they will actually not go into these stories, sadly).

Another story that I would really wish to see on the big screen would be the one that the 3 Darth Bane novels tell, it's one of my favorite Star Wars stories across all media. In some ways even better than the numbered episodes, especially if they included the Ruusan Wars.

Having said all of that, I am not sure how valid this rumor is, but I have seen it recycled and mentioned from quite a few trustworthy sources on social media. I don't know if they all got that "scoop" from the same source, but it might be a good sign, for those of us that would like to see an Old Republic cinematic experience. Regardless of the plot and the setting, it wouldn't be strange if production started in 6 or 7 months from now. That's a lot of time to plan everything ahead, especially if perhaps there has been made some progress that we do not know about. It's not like Benioff and Weiss would go out and say "oh ya we already have the story and we also have 30 pages of script" if they did. Unlike George Martin, they are a lot more productive.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    Too soon, it would look as if Disney had learnt nothing from what has happened with so far.

I would believe that preproduction will begin by fall, but filming? Please, no.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I sincerely think that Disney think they are all doing great. And that Solo was just a marketing issue. When we have many fans who actually believe that, why wouldn't Disney believe that, why would they stop trying to make money, and make it fast? A May 2021 release should not be impossible at all. Only George Lucas spent a decade of his life for each trilogy, and was spent by that. I don't see why we would think these new movies will certainly take 3 or 4 years to make.

6. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Right I'm pretty sure Disney is still planning with one SW Movie per year

black_saber likes this.
  7. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    I think that, too. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to pull this off.

2020 will be the year for star wars tv shows, and we won't see a new movie in theaters.

In December (or May if it is indeed starting production this fall) 2021 we will get Benioff/weiss first movie, December 2022 johnson's first movie, 2023 Benioff/weiss second movie, and so on and so on.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Call me a pessimist
    But I do not think Disney Old Republic tell us such complicated stories I believe that it would be safe with small confilict/story I do not expect big things at least not similar to Legends Old Republic

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  9. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    "Think almost Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings"

I'M IN.

"Filming in Fall 2019" ( Paraphrase )

I don't buy this at all.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss should have all the time they need to get this right. They're going to be in charge of a whole trilogy, taking place in a time era never touched before in films and creating a fresh concept by mixing the best of Star Wars ( #1 ) AND The Lord of the Rings ( #2 ).

Unsure of when Filming will take place but probably 6-7 months between 2020-2021, and release in May/December of 2022.
    Remember that December 2022 & 2023 is free from the Avatar Sequels.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I buy it could be the old republic. it makes the most sense to grab these guys for that project. but filming in 2019? that i'm not so sure about.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The big missing piece, and it's one of the reasons why I can't get more excited about this than RJ's trilogy at the moment, is there's no director attached to any of these films; this is solely a screenwriter/producer-driven endeavor at the moment, which I'll almost always find less interesting than a director-driven project. I highly, highly doubt the first film in this series is ready to start shooting as early as this autumn, but if it is, either A) they have a director locked already and we simply haven't heard about it, or B) Benioff & Weiss end up co-directing the film themselves, which I don't find particularly likely.

IlhamKamaruddin and EHT like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree - the lack of an announced director stops me from being too excited about this right now as well.
    Regarding your option B, have B&W directed anything before?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    They've co-directed two episodes of the show (although only one of them is credited for one, the other for the other) and they'll be credited as co-directors for the series finale. Other than that, nothing other than a short film Dvaid Benioff did back in 2005.

IlhamKamaruddin and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    So my thought is that, if this story is taken as truth...or heck a fun rumor, they've been attached to this for over a year now which would be plenty of time to have a story written out to be looking for actors/actresses after Celebration...maybe an announcement will be coming at celebration of a director and casting commencing afterward. My hesitation more lies with the time line, the story says hundreds of years before the Skywalker timeline, that doesn't put it in Old Republic time frame...it puts it mid-life Yoda (not sure if this is around Bane, but that might be cool). I'm hoping that part of the SWNN story is incorrect and the it is 1000's of years before Skywalker era because I would like Malgus or Malgus type sith and beginning lore pf both Jedi and Sith.

I could easily see another December 2020 release. I dont think that the problem with Solo was one movie per year...I think the problem was within 5 months and very little marketing for it. December is the spot for Stars Wars now, I dont know why they moved it to May.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Technically, at least with the Del Rey Star Wars novels set in the Star Wars universe, the Old Republic is the era from 5000 BBY up to about 67 BBY and the rise of the Empire, which began with the Darth Plagueis novel (which quite honestly could have been named Darth Sidious alternatively).

The structure of the Old Republic changed significantly with the eradication of the Sith 1000 BBY, but only because there were no more Sith to control worlds, like previously.

With the new canon, there is no standard format of the eras to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. It would help if there is an official timeline of the nu-EU in the novels, but I refuse to buy any of them, so if anyone has one of those, they could check the first few pages to see if there is a timeline, like there was in the now called Legends novels.

Anyway, to sum it up... the one thousand years before the fall of the Republic could be considered simply the Galactic Republic, while the thousands of years before that, the Old Republic. Naming is really just a convention anyway, what matters is the setting and the timeframe (aka how long ago it would have to take place). If it was set in mid-life Yoda times, it would indeed be a problem. It would have to show Yoda no matter what.

DarthRosie likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Pre Vizsla mentions the "fall of the Old Republic" in a TCW episode, and since Palpatine says the Republic has stood for a thousand years in AOTC, it seems likely that the Old Republic era should be more than 1000 years back. I think. Maybe. [face_dunno]

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Yep anything Old Republic should be 1000+ years before TPM.

They could have the story set very close to just 1000yrs before TPM if the films are about the fall of the Old Republic and 1st extinction of the Sith and Banes Rule of Two.

Preferably they should be set sometime before Banes generation.

Sometimes "Old Republic" terminology can be confusing because it refers to two separate things. In the days of the Clone Wars it harkened back to the previous Republic. While in the days of the empire it referred to the PT republic. Then you have Obiwan in ANH who seems to combine both Republics when he talked about the Jedi serving the Old Republic for over a thousand generations (longer then 1000yrs) before the Empire.

wobbits and DarthFixxxer like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This was a tweet I found a while back and was from a trusted trade journalists

Bor Mullet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    We will know everything in less than 1 month.
    Just be patient

DarthRosie likes this.
  20. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    If Sony can get Jumanji 3 done in less than 12 months, Lucasfilm can get a film out by Dec 2020.

DarthRosie likes this.
  21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think they'll want to. They have Avatar 2 scheduled for the weekend that's usually reserved for Star Wars that December, and there's no real advantage to moving Avatar out of that slot. Although in fairness, Avatar 3 is slated for December 2021, so something is gonna have to give.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Everyone knows that Avatar 2 is coming out in 2076. Don't be silly.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    It is possible that avatar is just a holding the spot for SW until the announcement at the celebration

24. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Start the trilogy or series of films with the Sith in control of the galaxy. Have there be an emperor/Dark Lord and a Sith council and many Sith apprentices. Over the course of the films the Jedi fight back and restore the Republic. Have one Sith escape and start the rule of two.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    It's amazing how films tv shows these day can be done and developed alot faster. Sta wars is one of them. Bring out The Old Republic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.