main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Old Republic related Star Wars movies could be cool.

2. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    If it's true we're getting some version of the Old Republic, then clearly this is one of the superior SW projects we've seen so far. Why? Because there may actually be a story here instead of empty, cliche spectacle.

SW certainly is spectacle, but it's spectacle grounded in traditional storytelling.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Whether something is an "empty, cliched spectacle" seems more like an opinion to me. On top of that, what does the period of the story have to do with whether there is actually good storytelling?

The period in itself most definately doesn't say much about that at all, nor does it suggest that it is somehow grounded in traditional storytelling. And even if they took the stories that exist, that wouldn't automatically mean that they are capable of telling the stories properly. To make things weirder, there isn't a whole lot to suggest that the last few Star Wars movies weren't grounded in traditional storytelling.

4. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools I Am Chiznuk star 1

Mar 1, 2019
    i believe it. lucasfilm is so bereft of ideas at this point they're pretty desperate. it's lord of the rings meets star wars! everyone loves lotr how can we lose? who should make it though? oh how about the guys that made game of thrones? perfect!

it's pathetic! [face_laugh]

5. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    An origin of the Jedi and Sith or something more like Kotor where they are already established is cool with me.....As much as I love Kotor, I don't need an adaptation of it and Im willing to let that go if it means we get an MCU sized era of content about the old Jedi and Sith. With the ST pretty much killing any interest I have in Post Rotj SW for me. Im perfectly happy to explore that time period/stories for the next decade with brand new characters who aren't connected to the Skywalker Era.

wobbits and DarthFixxxer like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, unlike Marvel, which is just variations of White Actor Named Chris Has Punching Powers Makes Funny Joke Learns to Be Good Friend.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a hard time believing that a Benioff/Weiss SW film is ready to start production in just about six months from now since they havent even announced an art department team or anything for pre-production. Unless they are being very low key for this trilogy unlike all of the previous SW films, we likely would hear about a concept and design team and then have production follow several months later. But an autumn start for filming seems really quick.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Are David Benioff and DB Weiss the showrunners for this trilogy like Jon Favreau is for the mandalorian?

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I’ll wait for celebration for news. It could be true, but I’ll wait

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The full schedule of panels went up today, and there’s nothing resembling a future filmmakers panel on it. I don’t really know where info would get released for either this or RJ’s trilogy, so I think it’s safer to assume it won’t be. The focus for Celebration seems to be on everything happening this year.

ChrisLyne, EHT and DarthRosie like this.
  12. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If there is any truth to this rumor, it is probably that Benioff and Weiss would be putting together a Conceptual Art Team this Autumn. There is a lot to do before Filming can commence; with their work on Game of Thrones, they would hardly have had time to write a Script for a Star Wars movie. After the Game of Thrones hoopla is over, they will need time to complete a script, and a Director too be hired. Unless B & W have been working on Star Wars concurrently with Game of Thrones; which I doubt. [face_dunno]

Two things that I want if B & W's Trilogy is set during the Old Republic Era:

(1) The time period set after the lightsaber was invented (there people who actually want this. o_O)

(2) But before Bane's Rule of Two. I want to finally see a Sith Temple; as well as a Sith Council.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin and wobbits like this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll wait for a more reliable source before getting my hopes up. That said it isn't completely implausible. Game of Thrones wrapped early last year so they may have had some time to work on the script and they'd have until Fall to finish it up. It's possible. We'll see.

Game of the Thrones ends in May so that's probably when we would start hearing things about pre-production. That's still a good four to five months before filming would begin. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

DarthRosie and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With what we have gotten so far in Disney Star Wars I'm really hoping this trilogy could really create very different image compared to the rest.

With the Old Republic existing for thousands of years, their are plenty of ways to do it. The further you go backward in time the more different the galaxy is.

Here are some ideas.

Early Old Republic with the Jedi not yet becoming its guardians.

Early days of Hyperdrive. Many ships don't even have it. Those that do, it's not as efficient as present day drives. Nor are the ancient versions ment for small craft such as 1 manned fighters. Forcing space combat to be different.

Darksiders before the Sith truly exist. Could be in the very early days of the 100yr darkness with the first dark Jedi not met forming that identity. Or the Jedi fought some before their schism. Maybe canon wise the Sith were not the 1st darksider Empire.

Set before bleeding crystals to make red bladed sabers was invented.

A unique type of saber we haven't seen in film yet. Now the crossguard and traditional saber both existed before the Fall of the Old Republic, though hypothetical this trilogy could be set before those saber varients were invented. Their is already a canon example.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Proto-saber

Perhaps that model or a weapon similar to that? Would add to the medieval/fantasy feel in dealing with blades which don't retract into a hilt. In Legends before the light sabers they had

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force-imbued_blade

This duo could have their cake and eat it to. Such as setting this trilogy in a period which pre-Lightsaber weapons are common amongst the Jedi but the first retractable saber/hilt has also been recantly invented. Though said saber should continue to be a stepping stone before the sabers of the film come to be.

These ideas can also allow different styles of combat between force users then to what we are used to.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    black_saber likes this.
  15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I liked what you said about different darkside cults before the sith, and just to mention, maybe we can have content where the sith have multiple factions fighting each other.

Don’t forget the mandalorian groups at that time too.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really cool. Completely divorced from the Skywalker saga, exploring different but still familiar concepts, new characters and a different feel. Getting the Bounty Hunter TV show, and hopefully Kenobi and Solo as well, would satisfy our other SW needs.

wobbits and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  17. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    I don't think we need to spend too much time on the creation of the First Jedi. If that's important to the story, or a fun tale in itself, it could also be experienced via a flashback.

I'd rather see the Old Republic Jedi in full glory as some serious threat like the Sith first take shape.

And we really ought to have hyperdrive or else the unique epic quality that SW is capable of making will be diminished. There's just too much narrative possibility in being able to zip to any kind of world you want to visit.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m far more interested in the early days of the Jedi than a ton of Jedi in their establishment glory again.

Though I agree with you on tech. I don’t want them to go too rudimentary there. Otherwise we could be subjected to tedious “difficulties in space” stuff, like we see in shows like the Expanse. Keeping hyperdrive and planet-hopping helps to keep things fantasy and history-oriented, rather than sci-fi.

DarthRosie likes this.
  19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I would love an Old Republic series of films. That timeframe was filled with Space battles and ground battles galore between the Jedi and the Sith and the Old Republic and Sith Empires. and the fact that it may be from the people who created the Game of Thrones TV series well i'm on board.

wobbits likes this.
  20. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Nice ideas but I would tend to think the sith will be key components of this new set of movies (rather than simply featuring non-sith darksiders) and focus on their origins and likely how the rule of two was developed, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if the series leads up to an epic battle between the jedi and sith too, similar to what they are doing with GOT.

Perhaps it will start off with dark siders who are not sith and then tell the story of the cult's founding and then lead through to development of the group, rule of two, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_war_(Old_Republic)

Seems quite an interesting conflict. Thousands of years before Fall of the Old Republic/Rule of Two.

Various battle on the surface of Coruscant with the Sith at least having some control over the planet. Building a shrine which eventually the Jedi build their Temple (the one that becomes their main) over it.

How did the Jedi justify building super weapons?

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I could have missed the news- is there any ACTUAL reason to believe this has anything to do with the Old Republic? I mean, something from an actual source, or is it all pure speculation? Is it just, "these guys did GOT, therefore they will do Old Republic?" All things considered, that seems like kind of a flimsy assumption. I would tend to think these guys would want to write their own stories and characters, and I wouldn't think LFL would have hired them specifically to make the Old Republic.

Certainly this is what I would like to see next for SW movies, so hopefully it will be soon they will start the movie. I would tend to think they want to have a movie ready for release a year after IX is released, so they would have to start fairly soon for that- if in fact that will be the next movie.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, no actual (or rather, good) reason.

Just a SWNN rumor, and we're all aware of their track record...

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...he-skywalkers-to-begin-filming-this-fall.html

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Lee_ likes this.
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Nice choice. Better than Rian.

25. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    George Lucas visited the GOT set while they were filming season 8.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/01/george-lucas-game-of-thrones-season-8/amp/

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.