main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    South Pole Elf: A Star Wars Story

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean I actually wouldn't be opposed to some Rated-R SW spinoffs under the right circumstances. I'm just not convinced that these guys are the right people to do that.

Lomesa likes this.
  3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I like the idea that they will essentially be showrunners for their corner of Star Wars. The "Story" films could also fall under their umbrella.

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think The Hobbit films are underrated. Love the first in particular.

TX-20 and Gobi-1 like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Now the Wookiees will be even more naked.

rorow1 likes this.
  6. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Right, because entertainment products never do anything for shock value--that's why there's like a billion horror movies every year.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that these guys are perfect. I'm just saying that I don't see why anyone would assume that stuff that was in a medieval fantasy series done on HBO and intentionally done to be R rated and edgy is going to somehow show up in Star Wars.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They are just more likely to make money with PG-13 movies then R ones.

Yora and oncafar like this.
  8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Except they did mention Johnson's trilogy in the announcement.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-o...e-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

There's no reason for them to be mysterious at this point. His film had incredible critical acclaim, has a 7.5 on IMDB with over 308,000 people counted, and is the 9th highest grossest film of all time. They loved him before. He's got a great relationship with all of Lucasfilm, including Kennedy herself, and the story group, and the creature teams, and he wrote and delivered on time. He's straight from George Lucas' alma mater and spend months in Skywalker ranch. They'll never admit it and neither will he but it's clear that at the very top of Lucasfilm they wanted someone to come up with an ending for Luke Skywalker and a way to transition out every OT3 character after each one was sort of featured one last time and nobody had the courage to take on Skywalker except for Johnson. When he delivered the script they loved it. It was a challenge few were up for but he did what they wanted and now he's rewarded with a trilogy of his own where he doesn't have have the burden of head cannon issues and can just start from scratch.

They knew that every second Star Wars film drops by 30-35% and they're also aware of the troll campaigns that have existed on certain films and that they (including some of the filmmakers and also Hamill himself) angered some people politically but they aren't going to let that stop them. This studio is being run like a mix of Marvel and Pixar. Critical acclaim matters a lot to them in conjunction to box office dollars.

They want more creators with Rian Johnson's attributes and I doubt they want to create a culture where all talented filmmakers are scared away of taking any kind of risk within Star Wars simply because of some vocal dislike from pockets of the fandom. I wouldn't be surprised if their support for Rian Johnson helps reassure other talents that they won't be thrown under the bus easily.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I would like some more adult level Star Wars. I think a lot of my criticisms about the ST might have something to do with it being more of an adolescent-geared story. I don't think the GOT guys necessarily will make their Star Wars movies as adult as GOT. Like we don't need all the nudity and gore and the level of torture that GOT has. But it can be R without all that stuff.

10. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    First Star Wars sex scene confirmed

Krueger likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I wouldn't necessarily even have a fundamental problem with this stuff being in SW films, if it was done well and in the right context. That's where these two stumble for me though. Then there's taking interesting characters and elements from the source material and making them far less so onscreen, and being really clueless/tone deaf at times as well.

oncafar likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am fine with more adult themed, but no R.

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    On topic: please be KOTOR, please be KOTOR.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

civilsecret, rorow1, TK327 and 7 others like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You will have potentially Non spoilers for anthologies, Rian's trilogy and this one, PLUS Spoiler ones. Throw TV on the pile too! [face_rofl]

Good luck modding that Chiz!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    And please don't be KOTOR! :p
    I still can't quite believe this is a thing. Star Wars is becoming a genre. We'll have doubled our film count before long.

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you actually not want KOTOR. Movies?

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    If Snoke is to be any indication, and it was the same thing with Orcs in LOTR, it seems like the ratings boards let you get away with a lot more violence so long as the beings aren't human and there's not blood shown for whatever reason. In LOTR you could even have decapitations of Orc heads since they were Orcs WITH SPLATTER but the splatter had to be black and look almost like oil.

So, if they follow the Snoke plan and make more villains alien, and don't show blood splatter, or do but change the color, then they can get around the violence angle a little bit more.

rorow1 likes this.
  19. Lomesa

Lomesa Jedi Knight star 2

May 13, 2016
    My problem isn't that they are doing stuff for shock value, its their tone- deafness and them lying about it. And 90% of the time the shocks just don't make sense for the story or the characters.

Examples of tone deafness:

B&W told Sophie Turner that she would be getting a love interest the season her character got raped.

They didn't even realize they were shooting a rape scene with the scene between Cersei and Jaime after Joffrey died.

20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Maybe it will be a series of anthology films that aren't prequels to the ST but deal with some of the story elements between VI and VII with younger actors.

I could get beyond Sebastian Stan as a younger luke Skywalker for example and have some more Luke adventures in his prime, including some more setup with Snoke and even the early beginnings of Ben Solo.

21. Darth Durge

Darth Durge Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2018
    So I'm going to make the wild assumption that, unless Disney is going to start upping the number of Star Wars films released per year, that were done with standalone anthology movies, right? After the sequel trilogy is concluded, I could see them releasing movies in the Rian Johnson and Benioff/Weiss trilogy in alternating years, but that doesn't leave a lot of room for other spin-offs.

Then again, if the planned Star Wars live-action series for the Disney streaming service really is an anthology series similar to what George Lucas had in mind for Underworld, then it'll sort of be a moot point - Lucasfilm will just released (for instance) the gritty Boba Fett origin story online rather than in theaters.

22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I actually haven't read the books so I will never be able to gain the perspective of reading the books and then seeing the show and what I feel the show did to the characters/story. I do think that B&W (as I will abbreviate them) are thoughtful though when it comes to the story and characters. I may not always agree with the choices but it's a level of thoughtfulness I appreciate.

The biggest complaint I can think of ATM is I really wish Arya could see through the eyes of cats in the show and that aspect of the magic was covered. I think with GOT I have more interest in the magic and how that all works than the characters (which is unusual for me - as usually it's all character interest). There's this mystery/puzzle about how magic works in this world and that's what I crave the most in the story.

And maybe that could be something, if I don't really find any of the characters alone compelling. I don't really *like* most of them, nor do I *hate* hardly any of them. I don't feel strongly about most of them. I was glad when Jon Snow came back from the dead because the show has so few *good* characters who do things primarily for moral reasons while not being like Dany who is inclined towards being nasty at times.

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm being a little mischievous here but there is an element of truth - I've never been able to get into the distant past. I'll watch it of course, and I won't auto-hate, it just wouldn't be my preference.

I hope they move away from origin stories too. Solo is getting his, and it might turn out fantastic anyway, but I'd like an Indiana Jones/James Bond/Conan style approach. Recurring and new characters on adventures of varying stakes.

Avnar likes this.
  24. Lomesa

Lomesa Jedi Knight star 2

May 13, 2016
    They said themes were for 8'th grade book reports, so I doubt there's really all that much thoughtfulness going into the story, unfortunately.

25. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    Pablo just said "theres no reason to assume were not doing standalones"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.