main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the show lived up to its hype. I have never read the books, I have no intention to do so, but the pilot was very entertaining.

2. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Just watched it, was awesome.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Might I suggest A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin?

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, I thought it was an excellent first entry. However, I feel the major flaw in this version is the casting choice for Daenerys. For those of you who have actually read the novels, a question: Don't you feel that something like this actress would have much better captured the spirit of the Targaryens?

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I can't really see that actress fitting Daenerys but I think Emilia Clarke did a great job.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Point Given.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Rogue Ten.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Please, please continue telling people who have already commented on the novels that they should read them, or otherwise making off-topic/spam/baiting/useless posts. I don't get to use the ban button enough at the moment.

To the actual topic of the thread, I do like how closely it is holding to the source material, while still allowing a little deviation where required. Some good pacing and they seem to have picked a cast that is likely to hold up to the task.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Does the author get a bit part in this series at all because I just watched the preview thingy and he was talking about the book and he is a pretty awesome looking dude. He could totally play a tavern keep or some sort of wise old man or something.

[image=http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/george-r-r-martin-image.jpg]

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I think Emilia Clarke is perfect. I'm glad they dropped Tamzin Merchant and put her in the role instead. Clarke is supposed to play an innocent princess in a fantasy series, even one as gritty as ASOIAF, and she succeeds in not bringing a hint of irony or skepticism to the role. I don't know, I guess everyone else is cast well enough, but I can't shake the feeling that as they walk about the sets and deliver their lines, they're always thinking in the back of their head, "I'm in a fantasy, don't take it too seriously." I don't detect that edge from Daenerys- excuse me, Emilia Clarke. Hopefully, the edge wears off as the season goes on and the actors grow more comfortable in their roles.

All in all, though, I'm enormously happy with the first episode. I think Clarke, Maisie Turner, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, and Harry Lloyd are doing the best so far. Lloyd, in particular, has really done a good job with Viserys, a character I never found all too compelling in the source material. The actor has really drawn something out of the pages of the book, or the script, to be more accurate.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, Daenerys is extremely compelling. She doesn't speak much (if you listen to the actress interviews, you can see how she tries for a more vulnerable but regal tone when acting) but her expressions and body language communicate a lot more. It's good because it substitutes for the inner monologue we would have gotten otherwise, and it's especially important for a character who can't often speak out.

Viserys, I agree, is perfectly cast. I hate that little weasel. He's not half the man Rhaegar was.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Do not provide links to illegal content.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I got hbo just for this. Luckily the package came with 20 channels plus hbo on demand.

As for the casting, I'm mostly ok with it. Love clarke as dany and the dude playing viserys. But I expected more...power from robert, more beauty from jaime and cersie, and more personality from jon snow.

My fiancee never read the books, and the episode left her confused a few times. I had to explain a lot and I thought that they could've done a slightly better job for viewers eho haven't read the book.

14. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    HBO has a bad habit of running up to new premiers WITH AD NAUSEUM "HEY CHECK OUT OUR NEW SHOW!!" Ads. :rolleyes:

I had been waiting for this one for a while. I must say that it lived up to the hype. HOWEVER, running this over many seasons presents trouble.

'Period Pieces' run up high production costs. Look at "Rome" and "Deadwood" for example. 2 to 3 seasons max. Great shows with enormous overhead costs due to costumes and sets.

That is the only thing stopping this FANTASTIC show.

Once I saw the last scene I was like "OH NO HE DID NOT!!!" Then he did.

Cannot wait for next Sunday! [face_mischief]

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    THen you should be excited for HBOGO like me so you can watch all of HBO's tv series unedited!

I said in the AMP fourm I think that this map/credit role has got to be the best HBO show starter to date for me.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This.

Enjoyed episode 1. Didn't read the book. JTS gave me the heads up it might be good.
    This was better than expected. It was like LOTR with bewbs and orgy loving hobbits.
    Like Lord of the G Strings and Return of the King rolled into one.

APPROVED

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    As soon as Joffrey showed up on screen, that look he had made me want to punch him in the face. That's how you know they did a great casting job!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The portrayal of Catelyn Stark was kind of off, imo. She didn't come off as a [something that rhymes with itch], which is how she always acted in the books, IIRC. The books made me dislike her almost as much as I disliked Joffrey, but the show seemed to portray her in a much, much kinder light.

19. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    They recorded a cameo with him, but it doesn't look like it is going to be used. He claims he will film another for the second season.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I just said I would not be reading them. I update True Blood for the show but never read the books either and don't really have the intention to do so.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That was... fast. Must've been a hell of a premier.

Looking forward to finally watching this sucker come Wednesday night.

23. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Yes, the plotlines were a bit difficult to follow, I had to run interference for the bf, since he hadn't read the books, and I had. But I think it was because they had SSSOOO much to throw at you so quickly.

As for the characters, I felt that Cersei started out in the books as mildly annoying with the added ick factor of her brother love. But I think we'll see her become VERY cold and calculation as time goes on. Remember, we're just supposed to think she's a bit sleazy, not diabolicle (?sp) until later.

Girl playing Danearys is PERFECT! She seems innocent and sweet, but you can see that she will grow into the role just as Danearys grows.

Everyone else is awesome, and, yes this will sound wierd, but I just LOVE Tyrion! I am so glad that it doesn't look like they have dimished his character at all, though he shows up a bit too soon...

24. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    I think it's hard to judge whether or not Daenerys was well cast from just the first episode. She doesn't really come into her own as a character until well into the first book, and more fully in the following books. Off the bat she really is just a plaything for Viseris, and that I think Clarke portrayed well. It's far more important I think to see if she can handle the drastic transformation her character goes through.

Great, great first episode though. The only thing it was missing was Hodor.

EDIT: I didn't think I could possibly be more vague about the book material, but fiiine, jeez.

25. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    CAn you guys HTR all your stupid book references, even if you don't think they're spoilers? thx