main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Given that there are people watching the show here who actually haven't read the books, let's just try to be courteous. I hate HTR too, but bleh. At least we have a nice dropdown button to use.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I haven't read the books, but I've watched the first episode just to see what the whole buzz was about. Must say I really liked it, the cast looks solid and I love the look of the whole thing (there are some gorgeous sets and locations). I think I'll keep watching and one day I might even read the book series... :)

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked the first episode, though I had to watch it twice to fully understand it... and even then I'm pretty sure I don't fully get the politics.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A lot of the reviewers have said that they got the gist of things after the second episode, so that should help a bit. They covered a lot of ground in the pilot, it looks like.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've not read the books, but I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. My only confusion is putting names to faces (which should get better as I see more episodes), and the relationship between the fair-haired siblings making an alliance with the barbarian warriors and the kingdom of Westeros - I assume they are a former ruling family looking to take back their kingdom, but I'm not sure. I don't really expect to understand everything after one sitting, though.

It did remind me of I, Claudius, with the scheming, murder, and incest.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the political backstory is a bit complex--but I'm not sure it's any clearer in the books. Exposition never overcomes narrative, so you won't see two characters talking about "Hey, remember when the JCC and the Senate split up because we wanted to discuss serious topics?" Instead, they're just like "lol the Senate" and assume they know what people are talking about--like real people. :p

Also, even having read the books, sometimes it was hard to tell Robb, Theon, and Jon apart when they had scenes together.

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Yeah, the pilot episode really packed in a lot of information and covered a great deal of the story in a short amount of time. It's a necessary evil but from what I've read about the first six episodes, the pilot is the only one where its dense with exposition and stage setting.

8. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    This, definitely. Got even worse when they got their hair cut. Hopefully some defining features will start to stick out.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I actually prefer being a little in the dark and having to pick things up as I go along, little by little; being spoon-fed the information irritates me, and takes a lot of the fun out of it.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Been a while since I read the books, but this is the gist of the Targaryen family:

Aerys "The Mad King" Targaryen ruled Westeros, but he was, well, crazy. Eventually his craziness caused the kingdom's subjects to rise against him. A group of soldiers led by Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark and Jaime Lannister attacked King's Landing.

As was alluded to in the pilot, Robert was in love with Ned's sister, Lyanna. She was killed in the battle by Aerys' oldest son, Rhaegar. Robert got his revenge on Rhaegar by smashing his face in with a hammer (also alluded to in the pilot when Robert said "In my dreams I kill him every night.")

During the battle, Jaime Lannister killed Aerys, and has been dubbed "Kingslayer" ever since. The throne was given to Robert Baratheon, who wedded Jaime's sister Cersei to make the pact binding.

Aerys had two younger children, Viserys and Daenerys, who were forced to flee across the sea to Pentos, where they had remained ever since. Dany was just a baby at the time, but Viserys was old enough to remember the injustice of losing the throne that was by rights his. They've spent the ensuing 17 years trying to get back to Westeros with an army great enough to take back the kingdom.

Unlike in Amph, I'm not going to just let unhighlighted content pass. Don't do it again.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Rhaegar was already dead by the Battle of King's Landing. Robert killed at him at the Trident and Lyanna was killed by a Lannister soldier, Gregor Clegane I believe.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Those are technically spoilers. I mean the relationship between all these characters/families is critical to the path the story takes.

Edit: However all that stuff about Lyanna is wrong (in the books at least) so don't worry about it. :p

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007

Gregor killed the infant Aegon Targaryen during the battle, and also raped and killed Princess Elia of Dorne.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. Highlight spoilers.

II. Timmo and PG, you guys are mixing up a ton of things. Good grief. Don't listen to these two. :p

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    God, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a wall of black.

16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    does... giving a basic history of why dany and vis are over there really spoilers considering that's sort of like history and may not even be covered in the show? if it hasn't already doesn't seem TERRIBLY likely.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, he could've just answered 'yes' :p when somebody asked 'Are they a former ruling family of Westeros', rather than all that other stuff. We didn't hear about most of that info for a fair while in the books, and it was rather drawn out. Plus some of it was wrong.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A lot of that was scarcely covered in the first 80 pages of the book, and people have already complained about unhighlighted content. I'm sorry that some people are inconvenienced by having to press a few more buttons on their keyboard when they post.

Here's my attempt at explaining using nothing but we know from the first episode. I'll highlight it anyway: Westeros was once called the Seven Kingdoms, but it's now ruled by a single throne and several paramount lords (Lord Stark is one of them). Robert, an old friend of Lord Stark's, is the king but he wrested his throne from the old dynasty, who wronged him by somehow taking from him the woman he loved, Eddard Stark's sister. Viserys and Daenerys are the children of the former king, and they have been living in exile for some time now.

There's obviously a lot more than that, though. I think it's rather essential to the story, though, and I can't see it not being discussed. :p

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

Highlight .. .
    ................to. .
    ..........................read. .
    Is a fun song to sing
    I grab my goblet, full of mead
    And i highlight to read
    game of thrones
    solojones
    i wonder if jello
    ever drank melloyello
    and i hightlight to read
    Before i bleed
    Lord of the rings, The rise of boromir
    I don't know the difference between mead and beer
    maybe we should a spoiler thread and a htr thread
    it would put this conflict to bed
    This is the worst song you'll ever bear
    i really like the nudity and not much cathair

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not really complaining, just was wondering if that was really a spoiler since it seemed pretty apparent to me when i was reading it the first time through before it was outright stated. you know, what with vis ranting about getting back what was his and all. and that was just from the first time i saw them, so if that's a spoiler my apologies, don't know how it can be since they've been introduced.

and there kind of already IS a spoiler thread in the amph.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Why, though? Don't think the story would hold your attention in written form?

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    My advice to non-reader viewers of the show: don't worry about the background politics or even about the different family connections or anything like that. When I read the books the first time around (especially AGoT, way before I was anywhere near as emotionally invested as I am now), I was confused as hell, but Martin was still a skilled enough writer to make me care about the events and things that happen to different characters at the end of the first book. It was only on reading the books a second time through that I really became quite the ASOIAF expert.

If you do want to worry, here's a handy viewer's guide on the HBO site. Kind of spoilery, but only about background stuff, like character histories, recent wars, and the like.

23. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s151/game-of-thrones/news/a315441/game-of-thrones-renewed-for-second-season.html

om nom nom nom nom nom

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If you must know, it is because I am horrifically tired much of the time and very selective on what I read. With a tv show in play...in the case of both True Blood and Thrones...I see no reason to trouble my tired brain over reading the books. My loss, maybe, oh well.

25. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    HBO gave my house HBO for like 2 days for the premier of this thing.

watched it. dug it pretty good.

but now I won't see any more. :(

I wanted more with the wolf cubs, though. so cute and awesome at the same time!!