main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    wobbits, Ulicus , PimpBacca and 7 others like this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This strikes me as such an intellectually disingenuous answer.

If we're really trying to tell the story of the "Game of Thrones" and how kingship is resolved, I could think of a couple key players: the late Queen's closest living friend/political sympathizer, whomever commands the Tagaryen armies, and whomever is the highest ranking survivor in the Targaryen power structure. As it happens, this story embodied all those roles in a single character: Grey Worm. Despite this, his role is peripheral at best, with as much prominence given to a unreconstructed dudebro/frat boy who is reinserted non-sensically into the narrative this season in ways the story doesn't even bother to justify. There are lots of reasons characters might have been marginalized, even constricting our view to the last seasons (thus ignoring the massive, pointless narrative loops of Jamie's tryst with Brienne, Cersei's "treacherous" decision to abide by the original terms of a ceasefire proposal the show made great hay of her rejecting, the extended sequences around Podrick's genitalia, etc) but "the story" certainly was not one of them.

On the other hand, if they'd really wanted to emphasize how "amazing" Bran's story was, why did we not see more of it in the last decade? He was mostly an extra being hauled around by Meera. We didn't really get to see him frustrated or struggling to come to terms with his new disability at length. No uncertainty about what he was becoming in joining with the Three-Eyed Raven. Minimal to know reflections on how he understood this story of humanity that was supposed to be so amazing and central to everything in the final plot. He was a plot device and a deus ex machina, endlessly passive in his acceptance of actions done to him, up to and including the sainthood of Tyrion that they beat us over the head with yet again in the finale.

This was a terrible finale that sloppily delivered thematic points that were as dumb as they were unjustified. Beyond every other layer of problematic content and bad story-telling, the showrunners chose to aggressively marginalize minorities except where they could be used to demonstrate the excellence of obeisance to white people. It would be not at all inappropriate to retitle this monstrosity "Uncle Tom's Castle."

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sorry Arya the Explorer isn't going to be a spinoff series. Maisie Williams needs something to showcase her immense acting talent, in particular something like iBoy 2. I'll sign that petition!

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Gwendoline Christie Predicted The Game Of Thrones Outcome Two Years Ago

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    I still don’t get how Bran being the three eyed raven is relevant to the other lords. They’re all just going to take his word? I could see why the Northerners did, they trust him as he is (or was) a Stark. But the rest of Westeros? What exactly does that mean to them? The set-up was just poorly done and really hurts the re-watch value.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If anything, those who follow the Faith of the Seven would be hostile to him. Aegon had to convert in order to appease the South and no king since followed the Old Gods.

wobbits, Abadacus and powerfulforce like this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He can't have kids and they wish to vote for a new king when he dies. Well the last Three-Eyed Raven lived for 1,00 years.

Abadacus and nilzo antonio like this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, given the sanitary conditions, and his crippled status, he’ll probably get bedsores and die of sepsis fairly young.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I keep imagining Diggy wandering around the Red Keep, wearing that mask, eyes wide at what he sees.

Diggy likes this.
  13. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Even Bran didn't believe he got the throne.

"Isaac went so far as to say that when he first read the script for the final episode, he thought the writers and showrunners were joking with him. "I genuinely thought it was a joke script and that [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] sent to everyone a script with their own character ends up on the Iron Throne," he told Entertainment Weekly. ‘Yeah, good one guys. Oh s--t, it’s actually real?""

https://www.distractify.com/p/bran-dany-game-of-throne-ending

Abadacus likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't care cuz I've always liked Bran. Hell, I named my dog Summer.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I do believe Bran will be king in the books, or rule in some way or another. This isn't the ending D&D would have come up with, or been happy with. It's an outline bullet point they had to checkmark. How we get there will of course be very different, but I am certain it will be a similar situation. At least as far as the top 3-6 main characters are concerned.

Ghost and solojones like this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Why do we see Dothraki in the attack of KL? Didn't they die in Winterfell? Or perhaps those were the smart ones who stayed behind the walls, instead of going in the suicide attack?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They didn't all die. When discussing the attack on KL with the map they noted that something like half died. I can't recall the exact figure, but they confirmed they weren't all dead.

20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    And yet D&D said it was the end of the dothraki in the battle of winterfell. Armies this season respawned depending on the needs of the plot.

powerfulforce likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I don't know or care what they said, I know what was said on screen.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    D&D kind of forgot about the Dothraki.

23. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Grey Worm took half of a group of markers off the table and said "Half are gone". Some Dothraki then also took half of another set of markers off the table. Whoever the remaining half were, of either group, their Drake equation is something like toughCoefficient * luckCoefficient * distanceFromCenter.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Alright, let's recap where Bran is as of the ending of DwD.

He's in a cave with a few score living children of the forest, probably among the last. They've been in that cave for a long time.

The "three-eyed raven" is Bloodraven, Brynden Rivers, legitimized bastard son of Aegon IV and half-brother of Daemon Blackfyre and King Daeron Targaryen. He is a hard Targaryen loyalist who despises the Blackfyres. During the Great Council that selected Aegon V, Maester Aemon's brother, Bloodraven as Hand of the King and acting ruler invited the Blackfyre claimant to Westeros only to have him executed. As a result Aegon V forced him to take the black for sullying the honor of the crown. He became Lord Commander and disappeared on a ranging. He is over 100 years old but nowhere near 1,000. His unnatural lifespan seems to be a result of his physical connection to the weirwood network and due to his withered state and the extent of the connection (a root is growing through his eye) he would be unlikely to survive being disconnected. He is a powerful warg, appearing to be able to control many animals at once (probably including Jeor Mormont's raven) and even what seems to be a wight (Coldhands). It's unclear how he does this but it probably has something to do with the weirwoods enhancing his abilities. It is also unclear how much he is still the Bloodraven who went out on the ranging. However I think it's safe to say that he has goals and motivations that have not yet been revealed to the reader or Bran. Personally I don't think he is someone to be trusted and Bran isn't simply training to be a Jedi. Bloodraven was a cunning and duplicitous man who was never above getting his hands dirty, and who knows, maybe he's still a Targ loyalist. Or maybe he's not even loyal to humanity anymore.

Bloodraven and Bran's abilities to see through time are because of the weirwoods and they can see only what the weirwoods see. They cannot see events in Dorne or the rest of the South after the Andals hacked down the remaining weirwood forests.

Bran and comapany's journey to the cave was arduous and they nearly all died of starvation and exposure. It stands to reason that a journey back south will be just as difficult.

I'm probably forgetting some important points but I don't see any evidence for Bran turning out as a king in the books. Besides him not being a Targ claimant in any sense he would also have to overcome significant Westerosi ableism and the religious differences. The show glosses over it all, but religion is extremely important to most Westerosi and they would have a difficult time accepting a heathen on the Iron Throne.

I don't accept "the show did it so it has to happen" argument. The show writers don't care.

Trip and Abadacus like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They were seen in King's Landing at the end. So I'm guessing a lot of them stayed, though some may have gone back.