main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I was thinking something like that as well. If I get some time to work on it (*ahem College *ahem), I'll get something set up.

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    What sort of game could we come up with that involves the real world for people...?

Almost everyone has portable electronic devices with them all the time ...

Everyone here knows how to upload photos and videos -- we have those options at the push of a single button these days ...

What sort of game could involve tasks or photos or videos or drawings or creations or ... ??

Rather than just a post on a forum.

...but still be entertaining, SIMPLE, worth coming back to, FUN, and Censible.

:D

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    What about a scavenger hunt? The players have a list of items they have to take a picture of. Some examples: Street sign that begins with "E," red vegetable, custom paint job on a car, unusual house, dog outside, wild animal eating

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That sounds like something really cool :D

Re: Match Game: What about narrowed categories: Like "favorite ROYGBIV color" or "favorite PT Jedi" or something. Still games a range, but limits it considerably.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That would probably be fairer, though I still think something like PT Jedi would be ridiculously broad. Twenty Council members, probably about another two dozen in the Arena on Geonosis, innumerable others...:p

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm sure you could make the parameters a lot smaller, such as PT Jedi with a Speaking Part, etc, and get it to work better.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Or like "TPM Council members" or "member of the Solo family" or something. Definitely good to narrow down, but I think even within categories, there are going to be some people just won't pick. Someone might feel favorable toward Poof, but if I had to guess, I'd say a lot more people would pick Mace or Yoda.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And that's what makes it fun and challenging at the same time. A trial run would really be needed to decide what kinds of categories work, what need more options, and what are too wide-open.

9. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    The Gentleman Assassin

Roles: The GM, The Gentleman, and his house guests.

How it will play: The Gentleman is an assassin and every turn he will PM the name of a player that he has killed, or is attempting to kill, to the GM. Then the GM will set the stage for the assassination, but will mention no name. The house guests then will post the name of the person that each thinks has been targeted by the gentleman. If the majority guesses correctly, the target is safe and the gentleman is killed, Opening room for the next Gentleman. If the majority guesses incorrectly or the vote is somehow split, the target will be killed, and the next round will begin.

The House Guest(s) win if all the Gentleman are killed and the Gentleman win if they kill all the house guests.

Thoughts?

-b

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What's the ratio of gentlemen to houseguests? Would the gentlemen be anonymous? Would they vote as houseguests when they're not killing someone?

11. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    In terms of the ratio, there would always be fewer Gentleman then house guests. 1:4 and/or 2:6 at most. And as to the voting, I was thinking actually that the Gentleman wouldn't be anonymous. The only way the gentleman could die is if his target is found out. However, the game would be longer if the Gentleman was anonymous and could be more fun when someone is killed.

So, I guess in the trial run we could play it both ways to see which fits best.

-b

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I can see a lot of houseguests getting killed off before the first Gentleman is taken out of the game, especially if the ratio is too high between the two ranks of players. Naming the Gentleman would make the game a bit more even, when you already know who's not on the "target list". Just a theory, of course.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004

Word Whiz (or some other catchy title)

1. Six players sign up.

2. Host PMs the players that the game is about to start and posts a word/phrase in the thread along with its category.

Example: figure of speech "out of ---"

3. Players have 24 hours to PM host their guess. (They will be submitting the guesses for themselves only) LOL

In this example: possible right answers will be things like: Out of left field; or: out of the blue. The host naturally knows which answer is right for this prompt.

4. At the end of the time interval, the host will post in the thread the right answer and who guessed correctly.

5. Each guess will be worth 5 points. There will be six fill in the blanks. So the winner could get up to 30 points.

6. Winner(s) will get 24 hours of colors.

7. No players will be dropped for non-answers; ;) they just won't get any points. :D

This is submitted in lieu of the Match Game LOL.

:D

Whew! Seems much easier for everyone [face_laugh]

14. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    I know Balderdash has been played here, but its an awesome game. :D I've looked through the thread and thought up a way to mix it up a bit. The game Beyond Balderdash uses these categories: words, acronyms, dates, names, and movie titles. The gameplay would function similar to the previous game. Any player who looks up the real meaning of a category is ejected from the game.

1. Host posts a category: word, acronyms, dates, names, and movie titles.
    2. Players have 24 hours to PM the Host a false meaning of the category. Word=false definition. Acronym= false meaning. Dates= Made-up event. Names= What the person could have done. Movie titles= Plot.
    3. Host posts the answers submitted by the players and the real answer. Players have 24 hours to choose what they think is the right answer.

Scoring
    2 points= guess correct answer
    1 point= each person that votes for your answer

I'm not sure how long the game would last. Probably a specified amount of rounds.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Balderdash was fun; I'd love to bring that back :D

Word Wiz - so players would all be guessing what the host would submit, not what another player would submit?

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For Word Whiz -- yes, the host has all the "answers" -- and each player guesses what the host has in mind.

Like a nown with "night" could get several guesses like nightshirt or nightfall, etc.

Question for anyone who knows about Balderdash:

The host posts something like acronym and the player has to put a false meaning in there or do they post something like GPA, -- and even though we know it stands for Grade Point Average, would the players submit something like Greek Play Academy?

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Jade, typically the host would list something like GPA for the round (the acronym) and then the players would submit their own "false meaning". Such as Greek Play Academy, Good Person Award, Gigantic Peace Accord, Gah Please Arrest ... me before I make up any more.

Very creative, very entertaining.

Fels; how would you have any idea if a player looked it up or not?

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Good question, that. The original Balderdash avoided that problem by not using real words in the first place, but I'm not sure how the issue can be reliably dealt with otherwise.

19. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    [face_thinking]

Sounds like a good idea Gunny. Makes the game more even and more fun given the setting. If you don't mind, I think I might use that concept in the game...Target List.

I've never done a game before, but who do I see for attempting a trial run?

-b

20. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    It's mostly the honor system. They can be made up, though. Either way works.

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That would be NYCitygurl and myself.

Think you could put together a full opening post, rules and instructions and all that, for prospective players? That would be the key first step. Everyone takes a look at it, maybe offers suggestions, maybe a bit of editing is done, and then once everything seems to be in order we set about trying it out.

22. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    Hi. I was thinking a Make Your Own Adventure game. You know, like the books where you get a choice along the path and it could lead to the prize or death. I haven't written everything down yet but I just thought I'd suggest it before I did any serious work on it :D

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Is there really a way to make that kind of a game work with more than one player, though? It's mostly: pick A, advance: pick B, die: pick C, maybe advance, maybe die. :p Even if you have a group voting on which choice to pick, I see considerable potential for it to be cut short rather soon, unless you have a rather lot of options available (and only a few total party kill outcomes).

24. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    I was thinking of a group of people trying to reach the same goal, like a maze to get the prize in the middle, the last one standing would win and I was thinking of having several choices, I did see that problem with not having many. I don't know, just an idea :D

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    And when that was revealed by EF after being told in confidence, the game lost some of its magic. I can't say I wasn't disappointed by that. :(

Would anybody be interested in a game of Pictionary on here?

i.e. each round the host PMs a player a choice of things to draw. This person has 48-72 hours to chose one and sketch/draw it (without using words, naturally); take a picture of it; PM the host informing them of their selection; and then upload it. All other players have 48 hours following this post to publicly guess what they believe it to be. The host then awards points to appropriate people.

Thoughts?